It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas prices hit $5/gal in some places in USA!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
We pay 2.38 $ a litre on Crete Island, Greece.

That's almost

• 11 $ a UK Gallon
• 9 $ a US Gallon
edit on 21-2-2012 by Hellas because: Gallon sizes

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas

That's almost 11 $ a Gallon

Thats just nuckin futz. I believe you are the winner of bitching about high gas prices!!!!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

yeah but everyone in greece can use a scooter all year round!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

LOL just don't forget to put your feet down when you stop!!!
I have seen many of drunks do that and laugh all day long afterwards.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Everyone should stop complaining and look at this for what it is. In reality the American people are really getting fed up with the way things are, the corruption, high gas prices, high taxes, bail outs, etc. I admit it hurts and it will continue to hurt but eventually we WILL reach our breaking point and full blown revolution will take place. I only hope that when it does people will put aside their petty government instilled differences and band together to put an end to the near slave like way of life that our great and mighty government has forced upon us.

This is all part of the process that will lead up to the revolution.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SkyMuerte

Americas idea of public transportation is a network of stinky buses that only have a consistent route schedule in neighborhoods you don't want to be anywhere around.

Thank YOU!!! I have had to rely on public transportation quite often in recent years and I'm in complete agreement with you. Our bus system has poor schedules, poor routing, and some cases, the buses completely stop running at around 6 p.m. I have no problem using public transportation.....but one cannot use it when it is not even available or when it doesn't take you where you need to go.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Xality

1 Gallon = 4.54 litres

Actually, a US gallon is 3.78 liters.

So a US gallon in the UK is $8.05.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Here in the U.S. our taxes on gas don't go for health care where in other countries some of that gas tax is used for health care for the whole country. I wouldn't mind paying higher prices for gas if I didn't have to carry health insurance and still have to pay out the nose just to go to see a doctor and God forbid you have to go to the hospital even with insurance.

I work for a global company. I know that what they pay our counterparts in Europe is more than we are paid over here also. The benefits are way better and so are the working conditions.

So I'm not sure if your gas being higher than what we are paying over here is really that bad. I would love to go to the doctor or hospital without having to figure out how the heck I'm going to pay the rest of the bill. I do know I could cut down on the amount of gas I use though.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by napayshni57

The whole tax on gas and healthcare issue great point. I know here in N.Y. we have some of the highest taxes in the nation, especially cigarette taxes. As an example a pack of smokes here is like $10.00,$7.00 of which is tax. And a gallon of gas is $3.90 for regular, $4.05 diesel. A gallon of milk $3.00+ depending on where. Now back to the cigarette tax I thought that was supposed to pay for healthcare costs due to them being so bad for people? I have yet to see my doctor bills go down because of that tax. It's all a sham it's time others start to take the blinders off and see it for what it is.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
reply to post by Xality

1 Gallon = 4.54 litres

Actually, a US gallon is 3.78 liters.

So a US gallon in the UK is $8.05.

The calcs we posted were in 4.54:1 gallons, so 9.5$ is correct

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

Exactly.
We have NO public transportation where we live that we can access and are paying 3.65 a gallon to drive an hour or more round trip to work. If you happen to buy a car that gets 40 MPG, you can not fit your fam in it. If you have more than 1.5 kids, you can not use one of those small ones. If one wants to live on the amt of money we can make in the US these days versus cost of living/inflation/etc - dont procreate ( but if you do the govt will pick up the tab.. no worries.. do I get into the engineered slave state here or make a new thread?
)
Many of us use larger gas hog vehicles in our work or for our home land maintenance ( many of us are only partially or minimally beholden to the almighty grid) , when the gas gets this high any small profit made is made even less for those that work with their vehicles. The US isnt a little island with public transport for all and the ability to use scooters and go-karts year round. Ive never driven a 4.5 hr round trip to my daughters Dr ( transplant) with her strapped on the back of a scooter.. but I imagine it would be cheap yet unpleasant. Possibly dangerous and ridiculous.
Plus I swear we are stuck with buying the most inefficient gas hogs on the planet as that is all that seems to be offered unless you buy one of these little 1 person insect cars which I wouldnt fit into if I had to ( 6'5"). Im sure there is some conspiracy there that we are only offered gas hogs on our market for the most part and tall folks are out of luck for good MPGs

When in London ( the part I was and the people I dealt with) I saw that no one cut their own wood, had a truck to haul it, and fueled their own wood stoves. No one had a yard large enough to grow food enough to sustain even themselves much less a family.If they were being slick and had a chicken coop it was with 4 chickens in it at best. They didnt drive anywhere or do anything in any self sufficient way. Everyone was completely dependent on the grid and local offerings to survive. Sure hope nothing happens that would upset that applecart

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by napayshni57
Here in the U.S. our taxes on gas don't go for health care where in other countries some of that gas tax is used for health care for the whole country. I wouldn't mind paying higher prices for gas if I didn't have to carry health insurance and still have to pay out the nose just to go to see a doctor and God forbid you have to go to the hospital even with insurance.

I work for a global company. I know that what they pay our counterparts in Europe is more than we are paid over here also. The benefits are way better and so are the working conditions.

So I'm not sure if your gas being higher than what we are paying over here is really that bad. I would love to go to the doctor or hospital without having to figure out how the heck I'm going to pay the rest of the bill. I do know I could cut down on the amount of gas I use though.

I think in Canada a lot of the gas taxes also goes towards keeping our infrastructure up to date, or at the very least bridges and roads are kept good.
That said, for some reason, from what I've seen, Alberta has the nicest roads in the country, and they pay the least gas tax. Good hospitals too.
But then again, they also supply the majority of the gas.

Yes, it's very nice to go in for a checkup or whatever, and not have to worry about paying anything.
Except prescriptions. We need to purchase extra medical coverage for those.

$1.11 per litre here right now, expecting that to go up real soon.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

I think in Canada a lot of the gas taxes also goes towards keeping our infrastructure up to date, or at the very least bridges and roads are kept good.

I would love to have Canada supply our roadwork over here in the states.
Your entire country has the best roads compared to over here. Where I live the dirt roads are 100% smoother than the paved ones!!!! And not to mention how clean everything looks.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
According to this: www.gaspricewatch.com...

The average is $3.69 and the high is $4.14 in my general area. I do remember a few summers back when the price climbed above $4.00, how that affected me? I started riding the bike to work. I'm lucky that I can do that, many can't. I think the larger picture is how gas prices affect the bottom line of business, both small and large size. The individual or family unit can adjust, but the overall impact to the economy can be drastic.

edit on 21-2-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas

Yeah but it seems from what I have read you Greeks pay for little else

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I was paying $3.89 at one point for premium, then it went up 10 cents to $3.99. The next day it went up to $4.21!... Is there a gas watch 2012 thread? It would be great to start that so we can take photos and post the trends nationwide. Good thread Pro

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Well, Obama gets his wish!

In his own words!!!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Still $3.29 this morning put 26 gallons in the van. Got 500 miles to drive this weekend at 17.5 MPG. Has to go up a lot more before I worry. It's all tax deductable at $0.52 a mile. making money

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Lets nip this one in the bud... before all the other Europeans come in here to do a price comparison.
Easy to do when you live on an island.

The average commuter in the US drives about 36 miles. Also, most cities don't have decent public transportation.
So most Americans have no choice but to drive. Americans have longer commutes then every country in Europe except Romania. Why Romania? no idea.lol.

The city of Baltimore in my state has "extreme" rated commuting, where the average person commutes for 80 minutes a day.

I have no choice but to drive like so many Americans, because public transportation would take 3 hours and 2 changeovers.

Which is why so many Americans are forced to drive.

The American economy is based on the cost of fuel. When fuel goes up. EVERYTHING goes up. Poeple who live paycheck to paycheck start to suffer immediately.
edit on 21-2-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Hey they use it less so even though its easy to move, lets charge them more?

Get real.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join