It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas prices hit $5/gal in some places in USA!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
reply to post by abecedarian

Yep theres your problem right there:

nor the costs of electricity, phone/Internet/TV even.

These are not essential or necessary.

People have been evicted from premise and others had children taken away for such.
So, tell the government they aren't necessary.

And a nice edit you did, removing the part referencing food and travel, as I said:

"Your "solution" doesn't consider bus fare to get to the 7-11, the necessary "ground" for growing sufficient food, nor the costs of electricity, phone/Internet/TV even. "

Point me at a dwelling I can occupy for less than 600 a month, which also has sufficient "grounds" around it for growing food and readily available public transportation to access the cell sites I oft work at, which span Los Angeles, San Diego, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, Ventura, Santa Barbara, Kern, San Fransisco, Sacramento... Phoenix... Eugene, Oregon... Anchorage, Alaska....

My USA zip code is 92530; that should help you on your quest.

edit on 2/21/2012 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by dntwastetime

Maybe if you stopped attacking the poor and started attacking those who MADE them poor, you would get somewhere.

Instead, your post is just more "us vs them" nonsense.

I think he's referring to those people who absolutely refuse to work and would rather soak up money from the system simply because it's the easy way out and there is no incentive to do anything differently. They get a gross amount of money every month, and more if they have more kids. So naturally they just have more kids when they don't have the brain to support even one. Does the money go towards the kids? No it's wasted on self fulfilling things like candy and cell phones. The group i believe you're referring to are those who have worked their butts off but have had to face layoffs, pay cuts and other problems. They're people who do what's necessary to make ends meet, and they have my support when it comes to making those responsible pay up. I know people who have had their work hours cut, so in return they mow lawns, and do odd jobs just to make up for their loss. Those are the people who have my respect, not the freeloaders.

Back on topic, $5 would truly be something that in my opinion would crash obama's chances of re-election. People will still drive, because we simply have to. At that rate it would take me $110 to fill my tank, and i have no choice. I need a truck to work. At some point though i think we need to say enough is enough.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by JackBauer

And when "enough is enough", meaning when we can no longer afford to sustain our lives as we are accustomed to, the government will have to step in to save us, no? They've done it for others before, no? Bail out banks, automakers....

When is it the people's turn to be rescued from insolvency?

And this because of gasoline? I suppose that's more noble a cause than just being "too big to fail".

edit on 2/21/2012 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xality
Not saying is nice paying that much but you still have it easier in America when it comes to gas...

1 Gallon = 4.54 litres or $1.10 per litre

$1.10 is around 70p (UK pence) a litre

In the UK average gas is £1.35 a litre, or $2.13 x 4.54 = $9.67 per gallon in the UK

We pay twice the amount here, it hurts to drive

I am originally from Venezuela... over there less than $2 will fill up the tank of most cars, a gallon costs around 10 cents... at least over there if you had enough of politics, city life, crime and general BS at least you can fill your tank for free (basically) and drive to a distant beach, jungle, river, mountain, etc.. and get away from all the crap in the city.

Since a US gallon equates to 0.833 of an Imperial Gallon by my calculation the UK is paying the equivilant of $7.83 per US gallon, say $8.

It's still loads though, especially when we hear that the oil companies are making millions per minute.

I like the sound of Venezuela though. What's the down side of living there ?
edit on 21-2-2012 by bigyin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I just read that BP profit for 2012 is running at £30k per minute, and thats after they have paid themselves. A guy I know works as a maintenace engineer on a BP plant. He doesn't have any technical qualifications or special knowledge, he really is just a quite young guy in overalls with a spanner and he makes £90k a year. Compare that to a Trained Nurse or Teacher on £25k. Imo it's ridiculous what they oil workers pay themselves and it's us that foots the bill.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Wow, $5/gal in USA.. Here in Sweden we only have to pay roughly $9.75/gal.

edit on 2012/2/21 by kyoushu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by kyoushu
Wow, $5/gal in USA.. Here in Sweden we only have to pay roughly $9.75/gal.

edit on 2012/2/21 by kyoushu because: (no reason given)

I bet you don't have to drive more than a few miles to work, unlike most of us in the USA.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Ahahahahaaa, here in the uk thatd be about £6.45 a gallon, or $10.18 per gallon, given diesels around 1.29 a litre give or take a few pence.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by UKmonster

You can make your diesel for cheaper, plus the reason i suspect fuel is higher is that you guys are an island and have to have everything shipped to you. When I think the UK i just think of the movie 24 weeks later and it makes me claustrophobic.
edit on 032929p://2America/ChicagoTue, 21 Feb 2012 15:18:55 -0600 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

French oil price are arround 1.7 E / litre (www.prix-carburants.economie.gouv.fr...)
If the Gallon is 3.78 L and 1 E = $ 1.32

The Gallon costs 3.78*1.7*1.32 = $ 8.5

We have a lot of taxes .. but smaller cars and distances

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Went to Evansville, IN over the weekend and it was 3.59/gal. It's about 3.51/gal here in my town..When I started driving it was .88/gal..but we have to pay it if we want to get out so I don't get mad very often..

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Why is California always the only state in the nation that has the highest everything. Gas being the worst.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by Biigs

Lets nip this one in the bud... before all the other Europeans come in here to do a price comparison.
Easy to do when you live on an island.

The average commuter in the US drives about 36 miles. Also, most cities don't have decent public transportation.
So most Americans have no choice but to drive. Americans have longer commutes then every country in Europe except Romania. Why Romania? no idea.lol.

The city of Baltimore in my state has "extreme" rated commuting, where the average person commutes for 80 minutes a day.

I have no choice but to drive like so many Americans, because public transportation would take 3 hours and 2 changeovers.

Which is why so many Americans are forced to drive.

The American economy is based on the cost of fuel. When fuel goes up. EVERYTHING goes up. Poeple who live paycheck to paycheck start to suffer immediately.
edit on 21-2-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

I guess America would have done well not building so many sprawling suburbs then wouldn't it? Cheap gas not only shaped the US but also the neighbors to the North. Both countries are an absolute shame to transportation/housing technologies when compared with other parts of the world.

High fuel cost? Good. Perhaps it's time to stop taking things for granted.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I'm in Anchorage, AK and I have planned on paying $5.00 gas every summer up here. We used to be cheaper up here, now we are one of the most expensive. My current car requires premium and is over $4.00 currently and going up on a daily basis.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

In Kelowna, BC, price of regular gas is $1.22 a litre, making $5.49 a gallon.

USA, we LAUGH at you complaining about $4 gasoline, although $5 gasoline is pretty close

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

That,s a shame, we are all ready paying $5.94 per gal in my home town in Australia. $1.47 per L x 3.785(L per gal) * 1.0691 (aud to usd) = $5.948

I hate to think what we will be stung for later in the year.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Last time gas prices jumped up, I started riding my horse into town. The looks I got were hilarious. Hello, I'm in the country, I'm in Montana..... yeah, gonna ride my horse if I have to. All these California yuppies that moved up here thought I was crazy. I saved a lot of $ on gas, and I suggest people start finding alternative ways too.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I think you missed the point that the poster was trying to make. The UK, all of it could fit into California. That is one state out of 50.

The USA covers a massive about of territory. When you look at the amount of gas used by Americans and did the math, we in total usage spend quite a large amount more in gas than most countries.

Most people live as close to where they work as they can afford. Very few people enjoy or desire a multi houred commute.

It is hard to believe for people that have never been to America to understand. While you may be able to travel your whole country in one month, if an American visited a different state a year it would take "50" years for them to visit all of them.

In many ways your comparisons are not fair or honest. Most Americans are struggling not by choice but by circumstances. I know that our government has made us to look like the worst bad guys in history, but most Americans are really good people. Our biggest fault is trusting those we shouldn't and not counting our fingers after shaking hands with our politicians.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thunder heart woman
Last time gas prices jumped up, I started riding my horse into town. The looks I got were hilarious. Hello, I'm in the country, I'm in Montana..... yeah, gonna ride my horse if I have to. All these California yuppies that moved up here thought I was crazy. I saved a lot of $ on gas, and I suggest people start finding alternative ways too.

Yeah but how much does it cost to feed that horse every month? Not being sarcastic I am really curious.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Its only going to get worse as the US reserve currency is being used less and less in trading for oil. The US dollar was the only way in the past to purchase oil.

This is no longer the case.Countries that traditionally purchased with US dollars are now using other currencies. Just a typical supply and demand thing. Countries are losing faith in the US dollar

You can see it in the US dollar devaluation. And inflation within the country will rise as the Fed "prints" more money as fast as it can which will compound the problem.
Then on top of that you have the Iran situation.

Countries are bailing on the US dollar like rats fleeing a sinking ship. Chinas offloading as much as possible and as fast as they can. Some countries dont even accept US dollars for normal day to day purchases anymore where as in the past they did..

This is only going to get worse, a lot worse. I can see gas getting to $8 a gallon by years end ,inflation will climb,
and an eventual collapse of the US dollar.

Check this out..Its a long vid and has a pain in the ass format but if you have the time it explains it quite well.

pro.stansberryresearch.com...

Peace

edit on 21-2-2012 by Lexx790 because: add link

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join