It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yet another Baby Mauled to Death by PIT BULL - Should they be Banned?

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by maxzen2004
reply to post by ignant

These breed of dogs should be outlawed, they are very dangerous.

^^ So, the argument for banning them has been reduced to this. ^^

You understand this is basically the same thing as racism, just with a different species?

link   
reply to post by ignant

I've gotta say, everyone I know with a dog of this breed don't find them to be violent and I always find them to be friendly.

Plus, the bit that the media always seem to leave out in these stories is the part where a child is annoying the hell out of these animals, pulling their tails, grabbing their faces and poking their eyes etc. kids should be kept on a leashe around dogs

link   
everything has its place. we bred them to have these qualities. the dog breed is not bad. if you buy from a reputable, responsible person with a mental temperment history, well then you got somethin to fall back on. if you buy from the basement breeder tryin to get his "prize fighter" bloodline out, then of course youre gonna get aggressive dogs. you ever see the show dog whisperer? his best and most dependable dogs are pits. daddy, his oldest, calmest, and most well behaved dog is sarge, a pitbull he rescued. he RESCUED. so i think the breed isnt for everyone. however, there are dogs i would be comfortable leaving around kids. weve all had a few of those dogs that just "know" what theyre supposed to do with and around kids. but pits? i dont think that is a responsible decision by any means. theres responsible, and irresponsible. just be responsible. its like sayin, i kept my baby in this house on fire, but it was on the other side of the house so i thought we were good. you put yourself and your kids in the way to get burned, trust me, you will get burned.
edit on 19-2-2012 by mactheaxe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Regarding the question of; is it the owner or is it the dog? The question that should be asked instead; Why would anyone want to own this breed given the reputation it has? Given that any large dog with a modicum of territoriality in its personality could serve as an effective guard dog. Even in the case of police attack dogs, german shepherds are preferred by the professionals. The only answer I can see for someone wanting to own this breed is for the desire to be feared by others. Hopefully, these people will come around to a more reasonable way of thinking and neuter their dogs, let them live out their years, then have the breed naturally die- off.
edit on 19-2-2012 by stanats because: grammar

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Aristophrenia

You obviously haven't looked at all the links posted. The stats are not dependable. How in the world do you think they get their data, off reports made by people, people that have no idea if the breed was pit or not. The CDC admits the stats are flawed. They aren't doing DNA tests to check the breed, in most cases I'm sure the we're just mutts and there is no way to know what the real stories were. Were the dogs chained up for years? Were the dogs abused or mistreated? None of these things were documented.
Dogs are travelers, why do you think so many like to walk and ride? Chaining or locking a dog up in a back yard or apartment drives them insane. Wouldn't you go insane if you weren't allowed to go anywhere except a foot radius around a tree. Those are the dogs that find a way out and are aggressive on the streets, and those dogs aren't all pits, just like they weren't all chows, dobermans, German shepards, or rotweillers. People like you are what is destroying society. Quick to over react and destroy.
Look up what happened when people tried to rid the world of those pesky kitties ( I luv kitties btw)
It was called the Black Plague.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by nightstalker78
Nancy Grace? Really? But yes,I believe they should be banned.They're nasty dogs.They're bred to be the way they are.And for anyone who says 'its the owner,not the dog'. Bull# and you know it.Certain breeds are just not meant to be kept as pets.Pit Bulls being the #1 choice.

It's really sad that people are this ignorant... You cannot stereotype a breed just as you cannot stereotype a race of people. Do you realize that most "pitbull" attacks are actually not full bred dogs or even related to a pitbull that someone assumes pitbull because they might somewhat resemble them, that's a Fact!!! Do the research, sounds like you just go along with what you hear in the media...

Every animal no matter the breed, is going to have a different temperament than the next. I have a jack russle, a rat terrier, a Full bred pitbull and a 10 month old son... My pit acts as if its his baby and absolutely loves my son, the two smaller dogs, tolerate him but have growled and snapped at him a few times. My son, can take my pits toys, food from his bowl when eating, pulls his ears, tail whatever, and my 75lb blue nose solid muscle pit bull who would likely scare the hell out of you by his looks, just licks him in the face no matter what. He's never even shown teeth to anyone or even oths animals... He's been attacked by oth dogs at the dog park, kicked in the face b a woman who was scared for her dog when they were playing chase and he just tucks tail and runs away. He doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body and is honestly the sweetest natured dog I've even known...

Yes, you should punish the deed and not the breed because it really IS in how they are raised but also like said, every dogs temperament will very and you can have an agressive well raised pit just as you can have an aggressive lab or minpin, blue healer. The breed doesn't matter.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

These animals obviously BRED to KILL.... but kept as PETS?

Absurd!

During last Easter Sunday walk, suddenly MAULED to death by.... pit bulls

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77

You understand this is basically the same thing as racism, just with a different species?

People come in "breeds" and are bred for killing? Which "breed" is that?

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by sickofitall2012

It is good your Mum got educated, it truly helps.
The best education I can give on this...
If you had your own Pit in your back yard, the cocker would have never dreamt of coming over and your Brother would have never got attacked.
Dogs are for more than just burglars and family play!
They protect the pack from all enemies.

I have pits
I found out that if a thief comes into your property and your dog bites them, they will take your dog away and kill it. Can you believe this BS. over my dead freakin body!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Legion2024
reply to post by getreadyalready

Unconditional love is not the responsibility of an animal that is YOUR job to teach your children. Btw 260 stitches left side of my body from a dog attack, just some owner walking his dog and all it took was 5secs and blood every where, after the fact he said his dog was well trained good with children never had bitten anyone, Guess what it did, in front of my children. at the park,

There is a difference between playground risk a few times a week with in a safety playground supervised, then the risk factor on a animal that can cause so much damage in 5secs. If you want to risk that most of the time with in your own house good on you, Hope it never happens to you.

Was it a Pit?

And, all owners say that same thing, but I doubt it was true. No dog just attacks for no reason, and that dog surely had some warning signs before that day.

Also, in no way implicating you, but 260 stitches? I don't understand why people can't fight off a dog easier? I mentioned earlier I was attacked by a German Shephard, and it was as simple as spinning around, picking the dog up and body slamming it to the ground. There is no reason a grown man can't fight off a single dog. Multiple dogs is another story, but a single dog should not be a threat to a grown man? You're not alone, many grown people have been seriously injured by dogs, but there is no reason for it, except for panic and failure to react appropriately.

As for the unconditional love thing, we are parents, and as parents, we cannot always agree with a child and be a consoling buddy. Sometimes we are the very source of their pain, and they need a good dog to cry with, and the dog will ALWAYS take their side.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ignant

You said,

"GANG MEMBERS NOW USE PIT BULLS AS "FOUR-LEGGED" WEAPONS"

I almost spit my coffee on my keyboard as I realized what a problem this could be to combat.
Now as well as tasers cops will have to carry plain hamburgers, or at least burgers with no pickle!

How totally silly, My burger trumps your security!!!

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Legion2024
reply to post by getreadyalready

Unconditional love is not the responsibility of an animal that is YOUR job to teach your children. Btw 260 stitches left side of my body from a dog attack, just some owner walking his dog and all it took was 5secs and blood every where, after the fact he said his dog was well trained good with children never had bitten anyone, Guess what it did, in front of my children. at the park,

There is a difference between playground risk a few times a week with in a safety playground supervised, then the risk factor on a animal that can cause so much damage in 5secs. If you want to risk that most of the time with in your own house good on you, Hope it never happens to you.

Well obviously it wasn't trained, he thought it was. You took his word for it, so now you are making the argument that even trained dogs attack, when you can't make any such argument, because you don't know what kind of training he got. Yea maybe he knows how to sit, so the owner told you he's trained. The owner was probably pretty on edge to, because he knows what may happen to his dog, so he trying to say everything to get you to look the other way. The fact is, people like to make sweeping generalized statements to act on their emotions rather than fact. This is why I believe a majority of americans are stupid, and why our country is turning to s**t.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Aristophrenia

1 percent 80 percent, source plz?
Thanks in advance.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by sickofitall2012

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by sickofitall2012

It is good your Mum got educated, it truly helps.
The best education I can give on this...
If you had your own Pit in your back yard, the cocker would have never dreamt of coming over and your Brother would have never got attacked.
Dogs are for more than just burglars and family play!
They protect the pack from all enemies.

I have pits
I found out that if a thief comes into your property and your dog bites them, they will take your dog away and kill it. Can you believe this BS. over my dead freakin body!!!!!!!

Yeap and then the burglar would sue you for the dog bite, and force you to pay for the medical bills, and "damages". Its a screwed up world.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Pitbulls shouldnt be banned.

It really depends on how you treat the dog..

if you treat it like some type of outcast beast and lock it on the side of your house and pay it no mind
then hell yeah youre going to have one pissed off beast.

they are the most loyal K9 that you could get.. when they know who the owner is it will protect you at all costs
(keep in mind, with that also comes jealousy)

Most times that these assaults happen on babies is because if the pit was there first, then you go have a kid and dont introduce the two properly (bringing home the babys scent before the actual baby itself..)then they will get jealous of you paying more attention to the baby and well you know the drill...

so no pitbulls shouldnt be banned.
if you can be responsible and treat your pitbull with compassion and teach them to be obedient as you would any other pet they will literally die for you :]

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanats
Regarding the question of; is it the owner or is it the dog? The question that should be asked instead; Why would anyone want to own this breed given the reputation it has? Given that any large dog with a modicum of territoriality in its personality could serve as an effective guard dog. Even in the case of police attack dogs, german shepherds are preferred by the professionals. The only answer I can see for someone wanting to own this breed is for the desire to be feared by others. Hopefully, these people will come around to a more reasonable way of thinking and neuter their dogs, let them live out their years, then have the breed naturally die- off.

I think what you wrote is true, for the most part. However, the people who have that kind of mentality where they have to seek out a "mean looking" dog, or a a dog they can easily train to be aggressive are the real problem. I have no "dog to the fight" so to speak, because I don't own a pit, never have, and never really knew too many people with one, but I have had other dogs that were the breeds people labeled "bad" and such, and none of mine never were mean to anyone.

I think what would be GREAT to solve this dilemma is if breeders, pet shops and animal shelters thoroughly screen prospective adoptive pet parents and stay involved in the animal's life for at least 3-4 months down the road...sort of like a caseworker, just to monitor the conditions the dog is being kept in and the overall dynamics of the household. I think it might also be effective to crack down harder on backyard breeders. Of course, none of this will likely ever happen, it simply takes too much manpower and $$$. So, without proper vigilance and checks in place, you can reasonably expect Tommy the Tool and Felix the Fool to get his hands on 120+ lbs of canine teeth and muscle whenever, and where ever the more "intimidating" type dogs are adopted out or sold...regardless of breed.
edit on 19-2-2012 by HoppedUp because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by sickofitall2012
reply to post by AGWskeptic

Ok, I was with you somewhat until you mis-spoke about the Vegas tigers. That tiger was aware before he was that he was in medical distress, the tiger was trying to drag him to safety. Read the story below before commenting please.

www.people.com...

So my post isn't removed for off topic...

BAN PUPPY MILLS, not Pits
edit on 19-2-2012 by sickofitall2012 because: (no reason given)

Oh come on, you're buying his version? Not one big cat expert agrees with him, I remember when he made his claims shortly after he regained his speech. The consensus then was that they were trying to do damage control so they could keep the tigers.

It ripped his freaking neck open, then it tried dragging him off.

His contention that the animal sensed he was having a stroke and was trying to get him to the hospital is inane.

By the way, that's not a tiger going crazy, that's a tiger being a tiger.

And when a dog that was bred to be a fighter fights, you shouldn't be shocked.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ignant

There is more to this story.

They murdered that baby.

Consider the put bull the "Gun"

Can be used for good(love)

can be used for bad (attack)

Negligent Homicide

Lock them up 5-8 years each. Shouldn't have reproduced in the first place. Poor dog, I feel bad, he will receive the worse punishment, and I do not truly believe it was his fault.

link   
reply to post by Legion2024

So you were just walking along and the dog jumped on your face? Wow, that's hard to believe. I'd more likely to believe you approached the dog wrong.
No one should EVER approach ANY dog. The Dog Whisperer Cesar Milan will tell you that. Always let the dog approach you, and if that dog is using their eyes and mind and not their nose, by no means try to pet a dog. Dogs give all the signals we need to let us know their state of mind. We are just now becoming educated on this subject.

Anyone that wants to learn about how to really train dogs and how to respect their needs and emotions needs to watch the Dog Whisperer and learn form Cesar. He knows dogs are dangerous. His saying is " I rehabilitate dogs, I train people". He knows we're the problem, dogs are just being dogs.

link   
Some people are so transparently stupid its really sad.

Honestly I'm more worried about a mob a geniuses like we have here one day deciding green eyes are evil and they should kill us all more so than I am any dog. It's like the beginning of the holocaust all over again.

This attitude and crowd mentality type of hatred will one day culminate into something so stupid it will be read about in history books.
edit on 19-2-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join