It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World Wide Seismic Event...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2003 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Well, it appears to be a quiet day in terms of seismic activity, although there was interestingly a bit of a blip in Antarctica.

HAARP still has that 3 hour hole in its magnetometer.... I want to know what the hell was happening during that time frame!

The geomagnetic storm is still going, and seems to be getting worse (which could mean significant seismic activity in the coming days).

Astrocreep, damn, you got much better GPS gear than they give us! Wish we had decent funding. Am tired of carrying a damn ipac around in the field....

posted on Apr, 18 2003 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Pilot Whales Stranded in Florida Keys

The Associated Press
Friday, April 18, 2003; 8:07 PM

BIG PINE KEY, Fla. - At least 28 pilot whales stranded themselves Friday in shallow water off the Florida Keys and four have died, officials said.

The whales, in two separate groups, are stuck about five miles north of Big Pine Key, said Laura Engleby of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Fisheries Service.

The surviving whales are being tended by about 50 rescuers from the Coast Guard and other groups.

"We're trying to stabilize and keep them comfortable as possible until a marine mammal veterinarian arrives," Engleby said. "When she gets here we'll work to assess their health and decide which animals will be good candidates for rehabilitation and release."

Engleby said the whales were being moved to a temporary holding facility in the lower keys, where they will be re-evaluated. A barge from a towing and salvage company was assisting with the rescue and recovery effort.

The stranded pods include adult males and females as well as calves. Some of the whales are as large as 17 feet in length and weigh as much as several tons, Engleby said.

posted on Apr, 19 2003 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Everything seems to be quiet today, including HAARP (I am wondering if the operators are off for Easter Sunday???)

I am wondering if this is true quiet, or simple the quiet before the storm???

posted on Apr, 22 2003 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Study: SF Bay area likely to face destructive earthquake by 2032
By BETH FOUHY, Associated Press Writer
Last Updated 4:25 p.m. PDT Tuesday, April 22, 2003
BERKELEY, Calif. (AP) - The San Francisco Bay area has a 62 percent chance of being struck by a major earthquake in the next 30 years, and the populous Interstate 880 corridor in the East Bay is particularly vulnerable to a catastrophe, according to a federal study released Tuesday.
The study, commissioned by the U.S. Geological Survey, found that the Bay Area has a 62 percent chance of being struck by a magnitude 6.7 or greater quake by 2032. That's down from the 70 percent chance researchers estimated in 1999, the last time the study was conducted.

But the apparent decrease shouldn't set residents at ease, cautioned David Schwartz, the study's co-author, noting that area residents face a greater chance of experiencing a significant quake than coming into contact with an "Anxiety of the Week" such as anthrax.

"The things we face every day--when we turn on the TV, or read the newspaper-- in many ways will never touch us," Schwartz, head of the USGS San Francisco Bay Area Earthquake Hazards project. "But living in this region, earthqakes will affect us. Earthqakes are going to happen."

Schwartz presented the research results in a public lecture at the University of California, Berkeley.

The Bay Area's last major earthquake was the magnitude 6.9-Loma Prieta quake of 1989. Centered in a mountainous region 50 miles south of San Francisco, the quake killed 40 people and caused about $6 billion dollars in structural damage. Researchers cautioned that the devastation would have been much worse if the quake's epicenter had been closer to the region's urban center.

Today, the most potentially hazardous of the region's seven major faults is the combined Hayward-Rodgers Creek system, which has a 27 percent chance of producing a large earthquake in the next 30 years, according to the study. The Hayward fault roughly parallels the densely populated Interstate 880 corridor, while the Rodgers Creek fault extends north of San Francisco into the city of Santa Rosa.

In general, Schwartz said, the East Bay region has a greater chance of being struck by a quake than the Peninsula and other areas west of the Bay because of a greater number of active faults in that region. He said researchers are paying particular attention to the Northern Calavaras fault, stretching from Danville to San Jose.

Between November and February, an "earthquake swarm"--hundreds of earthquakes measuring magnitude 3.9 or less-- occurred along the fault, shaking homes and rattling residents' nerves.

"We are very, very concerned that we could be setting up for a larger earthquake," Schwartz said, "and we are watching this area very closely."

There study contained some findings, however, that could help reassure the earthquake-phobic. The region has just a 10 percent chance of seeing an earthquake of magnitude 7.5 or greater, because only two faults - the San Andreas, which bisects the Peninsula, and the San Gregorio, which runs along the Pacific shore - are large enough to produce a quake of that size.

The most significant seismic event in the Bay Area in the last century--the magnitude 7.9 San Francisco quake of 1906-- was caused by a 300 mile rupture along the San Andreas fault.

On the other hand, the study suggested the region has an 80 percent chance being hit by at least one quake of magnitude 6.0 or greater.

Schwartz said the message Bay Area residents should take from the study is that strengthening homes and structures-- in the form of earthquake retrofitting-- is essential to minimizing the potential damage of a significant quake. Public agencies have spent about $12 billion on retrofitting since the Loma Prieta earthquake, Schwartz said, but more needs to be done to ensure safety.

The USGS has produced a web site featuring "shake maps" that area residents can use after an earthquake strikes. The maps show the impact of quakes in specific regions throughout the Bay area almost immediately after they occur.

posted on Apr, 22 2003 @ 06:34 PM
link   
aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...

Small series of tremors today, mostly located in the Pacific rim and around Russia (although there was on sharp one around New Zealand).... I am wondering if this is the calm before the storm???

posted on Apr, 24 2003 @ 07:23 PM
link   
A good bit of seismic activity today, worldwide. Seems to center around China and Russia, although it was recorded in CONUS, including the seismic observatory in Florida. A good healthy shock at the same time worldwide...

Also, a Class M Solar Flare, and a geomagnetic storm in progress.

And, a good deal of HAARP activity all on the same day.... very interesting....

aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...

www.maj.com...

www.iris.edu...

posted on Apr, 24 2003 @ 08:34 PM
link   
that geomagnetic storm is what set my truck radio back to defaults.

posted on Apr, 25 2003 @ 03:02 AM
link   
keep it up dragon its very interesting mate...

posted on Apr, 29 2003 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Some very strange activity today....

For those that watched CNN this morning, there was a 4.9 earthquake centered at the border between Georgia and Alabama (TC did you feel it???) which is very unusual, as this area is generally very seismically stable.

According to the USGS, there was a GOOD deal of activity worldwide today, especially in Russia (very intense)

aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...

www.iris.edu...

Also of interest, we are in the midst of another M Class Solar Flare and a geomagnetic storm.

www.maj.com...

There seems to be a lot of activity around the solar equator, looks like maybe the solar poles are still unsettled maybe?

www.maj.com...

Now this is very interesting... check out todays magnetometer reading from Gakona... scroll back one day and look at the spike about 6 hours before the earthquake in Georgia... and look at the spike going on right now.... keep that in mind and see if we have any significant activity in the next 12-24 hours.....

posted on Apr, 29 2003 @ 10:46 PM
link   
aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...

This is very very wierd.... every seismograph feed from China is down...

HAARP is doing some very wierd stuff, and at high output...

The GOES magnetometer is also reading very erratic...

www.maj.com...

I have a feeling that something is happening....

posted on Apr, 29 2003 @ 11:39 PM
link   
An earthquake that got rolling in northeast Alabama shook North Georgia awake at 5 a.m. today.

The U.S. Geological Survey reported that the temblor was centered near Fort Payne, Ala., and registered a 4.9 on the Richter Scale.

www.ajc.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Soz im a n00bie n umm dunno that muich about electromagnetic fields, just wanted to know what is HAARP, why is it such a big deal and is there anyway i can learn about it or how to read its infomation on the site?

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Just got the following e-mail notification..

A minor earthquake occurred Tue Apr 29, 2003 at about 23:56:21 CDT
(Apr 30, 2003 04:56:21 GMT). The event was 1.42 km (0.88 mi) north
of Blytheville, AR (Mississippi). The magnitude was 3.7.

Origin Time: 2003/04/30 04:56:21.56
Magnitude: 3.7
Hypocenter: 35.94 deg latitude -89.92 deg longitude
Depth: 23.82 km
Number Picks: 34
Closest Station: 9 km
RMS: 0.07 sec
Gap: 75 deg
Quality: A

Error Ellipsoid, axis #1: azm> 146 dip> 1 len> 0.62 km
axis #1: azm> 56 dip> 5 len> 0.34 km

This is a preliminary location and magnitude determined from
data provided by the Central and Southeast U.S. Cooperative
Seismic Network and by the U.S. Geological Survey. Magnitude
and location may change slightly as more data become available.

Additional information on the CUSSN is available at:
folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu...

-----------------------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this e-mail notification please visit:
folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu...

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Lots of quakes and yet California was excluded.

Damn that is strange.

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I live in north central Kentucky and have friends who claimed they had things fall off shelves from the quake. I just hope that the San Madrid fault is not about to go. The last time it snapped the Mississippi river revered for 5 minutes and devastated a young St. Louis.

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I saw what earthquakes are capable of doing as I live in California, Hopefully the Mississippi wont flood.

GL

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Astrocreep:

Well, on the bright side, 3.7 is a pretty mild EQ, and I believe it is not out of the ordinary for the NMSZ. 23 km deep is pretty deep for an EQ, and would indicate that it *is* originating from the NMSZ.

Did you feel it by any chance??

Please keep us informed on any NMSZ events... if anything cuts loose, the New Madrid is going to be the holy roller of them all, likely eclipsing the San Andreas.

We are no longer under a solar flare, but we are still in the midst of a geomagnetic storm.

www.maj.com...

All the seismics are pretty quiet (still want to know why all of the seismographs are offline out of China...)

aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...

www.iris.edu...

HAARP is very active today and yesterday... I would expect some strange weather/seismic events in the next 24-48 hours...

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 08:17 PM
link   
DragonRider, I usually average getting a report like this per week sometimes more but most all very small to small. In an above message I read you were expecting siesmic activity so i thought it would be useful to you. No, Central KY didn't feel it or at least it wasn't noticable. Not sure about the Bama quake. I was still asleep when it hit.

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Astrocreep:

Just remember, if you do feel it GET OUTSIDE NOW!

Please keep us informed on any occurences in your area. I hate to say it, if something does break loose, I expect it to be with the NMSZ.

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Mag 4 earthquake hits Arkansas...

earthquake.usgs.gov...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join