It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should it be legal to kill pet cats roaming around the neighbourhood?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by LongbottomLeaf
reply to post by TheCommentator

I would kill a person who killed my animal, are you seriously suggesting cats are making a negative impact on the environment??? Your brain is making a negative impact on ATS go away
edit on 18-2-2012 by LongbottomLeaf because: (no reason given)

So then you understand me wanting to kill your cat for killing native wildlife?
It would be hard to make a positive impact when most people here dont even understand how to look after an animal properly

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Magnificient
reply to post by TheCommentator

As long as you don't eat them it might be all right. Some dude got busted for killing and eating stray cats. Maybe there's a law against tax-free food.

If it were legal, you should be able to bring the cat tail into any department of motor vehicles to redeem for a bottle of teriyaki (that fails spell check?) marinade, but wait, wouldn't this be a disruption to the Chinese food delivery drivers economic impact infrastructure? Never hiccup mind

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheCommentator
Here is my reasoning, especially in a nation like Australia.
It is ok for cat owners to let their cats go out and kill native animals so why is it wrong to kill a cat to prevent them killing native animals?

That's the same logic a psychopath or future serial killer would use.

THE PSYCHOPATH - The Mask of Sanity
www.cassiopaea.com...

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher

Here is my reasoning, especially in a nation like Australia.
It is ok for cat owners to let their cats go out and kill native animals so why is it wrong to kill a cat to prevent them killing native animals?

That's the same logic a psychopath or future serial killer would use.

THE PSYCHOPATH - The Mask of Sanity
www.cassiopaea.com...
How? What serial killer or psychopath has used someone killing someone as an excuse for killing that person?
This is ecology not murder.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   

How? What serial killer or psychopath has used someone killing someone as an excuse for killing that person?
This is ecology not murder.

Go ahead and rationalize murdering people's pets and also plan on prison.

Serial Cat Killer Strikes 34th Victim
gawker.com...[

Psychopathy is a personality disorder characterized by a pervasive pattern of disregard for, or violation of, the rights of others. e.g. neighborhood cat owners.

Your same logic would apply to humans and the environment...where does it end?
edit on 18-2-2012 by Regenmacher because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   
If I ever find the a hole that shot my kitten.....

poor little guy had a pellet buried in his intestine. After many days at the vet, and some serious surgery he is still alive. Hes a little over 2 years old now, and very much a part of the family.

If I ever find this individual, chances are I will spend some time in jail.....but with a good lawyer, I bet I'll be out of jail before they are out of the hospital.
edit on 18-2-2012 by vogon42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
As I understand it Australia has a great problem with cats decimating native wildlife, which hasn't evolved with cats so they dont stand a chance.

However, the majority of cats doing the killing are feral. Pet cats living in towns and cities have small territories and prey soon learn to stay away. They also keep vermin away, a fact that allowed early humans to store agricultural produce over winter, leading to the start of civilisation.

Controling the feral population is a good idea, probably necessary, in Oz. But this isnt a green light for sad, evil little men (usually with tackle like a peanut with two sultanas) to torture and kill pets.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by InsideYourMind

You put them in a cage or bring them in your house at night, it’s pretty simple.
Native species shouldn’t suffer because of a cat owner’s incompetence.

How about i put you in a cage? Let's see how you like that.

PS; reading through the rest of the posts. This is the most stupid thread i have yet to see on this site, and the responses are just sick.
edit on 16/2/2012 by InsideYourMind because: (no reason given)

LoooooL

I am sorry to say that my cats can not enjoy their freedom outside because I live in an appartment building. But I would find it shocking if one would escape and got poisoned, shot or kicked to death because someone can't stand the beauty and free will of the little animal.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
reply to post by markosity1973

I am not against keeping pets at all. I don't mind cats, but I do mind that they are wiping out animals that until the arrival of the european settler had no predators. Quite simply these animals cannot cope and have had no time to evolve or adapt.

Well thats too bad. However, animals have gone extinct over the history of earth and that cannot be helped.

They either evolve or they die. Thats is literally the point of natural selection.

Well if thats your argument them someone could equally say that cats should "evolve to dodge my shotgun or die"

How fair is that to the cat?

Humans need to stop screwing with ecosystems so much or else there will be none left, its not just about bulldozing forest or dumping toxic waste etc. but it also includes deliberately releasing an introduced species like a feline into another environment to roam and follow its instinctual drive to kill. Australia has a MASSIVE problems with introduced species like rabbits, cane toads, prickly pear and as a result we have one of if not the most strict border control in the world. Anybody who has flown here and come through customs would know how much effort we place on making sure you don't bring anything into the country that would pose a threat. Places like the US or many parts of Europe are joined by mainland to so many other counties and have been for so long. They don't have the same problems as an isolated country like Australia that was only settled relatively recently, and didn't have as much in the way of ancient trade either, all this means that in only a few hundred years our environment is being destroyed with no time for adaptation.

edit on 18-2-2012 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by xNightwing
reply to post by SmArTbEaTz

I'm an owner of two cats

I don't think it should be allowed to go around killing them, but I also think they should have the same rules as dogs when it comes to being outside

To those that said they wont "cage" their cats, you're idiots...a small cat walking around an apartment isn't "caging" them...that is stupid

So then as an owner of cats you should know that teaching them to walk on a leash is not an easy job, and not cats will do it. BTW when people say cage them I think they mean in a small metal or plastic bin of sorts.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons
reply to post by TsukiLunar

Wow, just because I said I didn't like cats, the cat lover crowd come out of the wood work. I never owned a cat, or never really took notice that you can't keep a cat on a leash. That doesn't excuse you to let your pet roam around the neighborhood and do its business on neighbors lawns, attack other wild life and sometimes cause drivers to swerve from hitting them.

Personally, the reason why I hate cats so much is because my 6 yr old golden retriever was killed by a car because of a cat that was left loose. My retriever was in our garage and when I opened the garage door to take out the trash, my retriever caught site of a cat and chased it across the street. Unfortunately, my dog that has always been leashed and in a fenced in yard, had the misfortune to get a glimpse of this cat and dart from the confides of my garage. Try explaining the death of a pet to a 3 year-old that played with that dog everyday. If that cat was confined to my neighbors home the incident would never have happened.

So you blame the cat for being a cat... that's awesome...

The cat was just chilling. It's the dog who decided to chase it. It's not like the cat was egging the dog on teasing him saying "come get me big boy!". Teach your dog some self control, or you could just not open the door around your dog like I do.

Oh BTW when a cat "does it's business in your yard" it's not noticeable and reek of smell, and they actually clean up after themselves too. Dogs take a dump for you to step in. Big difference.

Hey and 3 yr old shouldn't be taking the trash out anyways

edit on 18-2-2012 by SmArTbEaTz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
No its not okay to kill cats roaming around any more than it is to kill dogs roaming around, any more than it is to kill kids and the homeless roaming around. Sheesh.

I wish there was a global effort to trap, neuter and release. This should apply to stupid people who kill pet cats as well.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimosa
reply to post by WeRpeons

if you can't leash a cat, keep them in your house! If it's against the law for dogs to roam unleashed than it doesn't give a cat owner the right to let their cats roam.

but cats dont attack people and crap in playparks (yes i know your dog would never do this). where as i cant see any problems with cats roaming free.
silly thread.

The point is that they attack native wildlife, which happens to be just as important as any person if you understand ecology.
Why is a cat the only pet in the entire world where owners do not want to keep it safe and stop it from harming other animals?
Your clearly ignorant if you can’t see problems with cats roaming free

C'mon people haven't you ever seen the Lion King and learned how the circle of life goes?

If a cat attacks native wildlife, it's his nature. Let me say that again. If a cat kills, it's his NATURE. If you stop a cat from killing you are effecting that circle. Just like any other ecosystem, cats serve a purpose in life. JUST LIKE WE ALL DO. For anyone to tamper with that, is tampering with nature.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
if evolution is whats missing then leave them alone and let the species adapt and evolve, killing one animal to save another? It's a cats nature get over it, the process is survival of the fittest to evolve and adapt to adversity. I am 3/4 native of the continent called America, how about I shoot you and keep the cats? Because you are ruining my native habitat.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
On a side but related note my people called horses dogs, that's where the phraze came from "Dogs are a man's best friend" It was a reference to horses. The only things that are a canines best friend are his dick and stomach. Why do you think when you scratch his belly, his tongue and red rocket comes out? Or his back leg gets to kicking? It's because he's wanting to run to satiate either his mouth or red rocket.
edit on 18-2-2012 by Darkchemistry because: sp

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I have two cats that are quite happy being indoor house cats. They have been that way since kittens. They play with their catnip toys, climb on their cat-perches, sit in the windows watching birds and people, and sleep nice and cozy on their soft beds.

When cats are spayed and neutered as kittens, they lose their "obsession" with roaming - at least that has been my experience.

So, while I don't think cats should just be shot, I do believe people should keep their cats indoors, or move to the country where they won't disturb anyone outdoors. And I STRONGLY believe in spaying/neutering.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I understand you "seem" to have a concern for natural species. However, I find your solution monstrous and sadistic. How would you like it if someone killed your pet? Killing the cats for hunting (a natural instinct) is a thousand times more monstrous than an owner letting them run free.

That being said, I live in the U.S. and my cats are house cats. It isn't hard. However, you can't take a cat that has lived most of it's life outside and just convert it to a house cat. They are miserable. Mine were house cats from kittens. Are their not rescue sites or shelters? If they are truly entirely feral, than you have the same issue as the dingo.
If they are wild animals now, than they aren't anyone's pet. But for God's sake, don't go killing someone's pet!
That being said, I am a cat and dog owner and I look at them equally. I wouldn't want to kill a cat anymore than a dog.

It's tricky, I understand if you are concerned for natural habitat? How long have the feral cats been roaming? It may be just as much their habitat now as it is the native creatures. I just think that shooting them all down should be a last LAST resort.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by vogon42

Cheers to you! I'd feel the same way. My first cat acted more "dog like" than any cat I've ever known. I will never, ever have another like him. I had him for 7 years and he was my only pet, and my first pet at the time. He grew up being indoor/outdoor and loved to hunt and let his natural kitty side out. At his 7th year I moved to a different area and after a few months, he just disappeared one night. Never came back...

I learned that coyotes,(recently introduced to my state, but not present everywhere) could have gotten him. However, he was a big 19lb fighter of a cat. So, I have no idea. I hope in some regards that someone just took him in and had stolen him from me. If I were to EVER, find out someone had hurt/killed that cat. God, help them.

That is why my new kittens were raised as house cats. I am older now and I feel I learned from my lost friend.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkchemistry

I couldn't have read a more amusing post! Exactly, right. Same sentiment.
My boyfriend is of native blood. He'd likely agree!

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Since cats are few in number compared to humans and unlike cats, humans destroy native species in a wholesale fashion. If you are so concerned with preserving native species, then why not leave the cats alone and kill humans?

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join