It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should it be legal to kill pet cats roaming around the neighbourhood?

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCommentator
reply to post by selfharmonise

Your argument is based on a simple premise. Pet cats kill native species, so we should be able to kill pet cats.

Well it should be worded, cat owners are allowed to let their cats kill native species, will not take responsibility and properly look after their animals so we should do something about it as to not let an invasive species kill native species when they could be controlled.

Slightly off track here, and I will return to it in my next post, but aren't the majority of Australians non-indigenous....

Unless you're now going to tell me you're aborigine?

edit on 18-2-2012 by selfharmonise because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Funny how nature always did it's thing before humans thought they need to balance everything. Humans have done way more harm than good when they try thinning out any predators....

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCommentator

Ohhh I'm much worse and far more calculated than that

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

He was an aborigine before there were aborigines

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by selfharmonise

Your argument is based on a simple premise. Pet cats kill native species, so we should be able to kill pet cats.

Well it should be worded, cat owners are allowed to let their cats kill native species, will not take responsibility and properly look after their animals so we should do something about it as to not let an invasive species kill native species when they could be controlled.

Slightly off track here, and I will return to it in my next post, but aren't the majority of Australians non-indigenous....

Not going to respond to this, I think I have already agreed to someone on here that humans are worse then cats.
But my point is there is an obvious solution to cats which is locking them up.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
Funny how nature always did it's thing before humans thought they need to balance everything. Humans have done way more harm than good when they try thinning out any predators....
You mean native predators not introduced ones

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by LongbottomLeaf

Ohhh I'm much worse and far more calculated than that
Whatever mate, keep trying to justify what your saying. There is no difference from what I am saying and what you are at the end of the day.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Whatever wingnut keep trying to justify killing animals,

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by LongbottomLeaf

Whatever wingnut keep trying to justify killing animals,
You are doing that too

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I have seen Pen And Teller episode on cat lovers and they are crazy.

I think the only way to go here is locking your cat up and desexing them.

Those who let their cats roam in Australia should be fined, If we was to on purpose kill/hurt a native species we would be fined.

So why are domesticated cats any different to humans. So if a dog goes and bites a native species it would be ok too?

You cat lovers have some poor excuses and arguments that are a bit childish.
edit on 19-2-2012 by amraks because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Wow, just.. wow. I have been lurking on this site for many years now and this is probably the most disturbing thread I've ever seen. Just out of sheer, morbid curiousity, I've read through the entire thing, every page. I am very disturbed, but it's so bizarre that I'm having trouble wording it properly, but I will try.

It is very hard to take the OP seriously and gets harder with each post made. You rail on cats for destroying ecosystems and threatening native wildlife, and although you have admitted that humans do more damage, you don't seem to really believe that. As others said, you do seem to have some serious issues mentally and I'm not trying to be mean by saying that. Let's compare how many species were pushed to extinction primarily because of humans vs. how many were made extinct primarily because of cats. Oil spills, dumping trash in oceans (trash which, by the way, has formed several decent sized garbage islands floating around in the oceans), air pollution, hunting animals for their fur, tusks or whatever else not related to food, habitat destruction and others I'm surely forgetting. You want to direct blame at the main culprit, it's right there in front of you. It's people and you are a part of it if you advocate killing animals for personal reasons, cats or otherwise.

Let me just expand this argument. What if we, say, killed black people in the US because they aren't native to the land? By your rationale, we should also kill rabbits, several species of deer, wild goats, numerous bird species, numerous reptilian species, fish, crustaceans, molusks, insects and plants. After all, those deer are eating native plants and grass and so are those insects. The birds are eating native worm species and ruining property by pooping all over it. Does that mean I should shoot birds? The same you say about cats can be said about hundreds of other species. Should we kill those too because we "allow" them to do this? You are focusing on one animal that has a minimal impact when compared to other more destructive life forms especially us. Also, I refuse to believe that cats are killing enough koalas or wombats to make an impact based on size differences alone.

You have let your personal disdain for one animal cloud your judgement. You speak of being an animal lover, then talk about shooting people's pets. You talk out both sides of your mouth. If you care so much about the extinction of animal species, then rail on humans. They/we are the main cause of the decline of animal species by FAR, it's not even close. Are you up in arms when forest land is being destroyed so we can build a mall or food store?

Also, the problem with dogs is they are led around by their nose and will follow it *anywhere* with reckless abandon. They won't hesitate to run out into the street if they smell something on the other side. Dogs have tunnel vision in this way, so blaming a cat or any animal because the dog decided to chase into a street and get hit by a car is the fault of the owner and the dog, who is only following it's instinct. So, by your own logic, I should be allowed to shoot your dog if it got away from you and I catch it crapping on my lawn? Dog urine kills grass and plants fairly easily, by the way. So, is that ok then? Can I kill your dog if I find it on my lawn? Actually, why should I even ask? Obviously, that's perfectly alright as you've demonstrated in your argument against cats.

Even more than all that, just the advocation of killing someone's pet with such conviction in an almost sociopathic way is why dozens of people in this thread say you have mental issues and I tend to agree with that based on your display in this thread. You have a very cold, crass way of presenting yourself and that is quite disturbing, more so than any cat doing what it's designed to do. I would think the dingo has caused more damage than all cats combined in Australia and guess what, it's a dog! Well, that does it. I'm gonna start shooting dogs, even if they are pets, because of the dingo. Think that's crazy? Good, because so is your argument.

Cats, unless they are feral, are part of people's families. I wonder, would you also shoot someone's kids for being on your property or is it just the defenseless (to a gun or even knowing they should run) cats? . The threat to Australia is in the form of FERAL cats, not people's pets. If you have a right to kill my cat even if it's the first time it got out, regardless of circumstances, then I have a right to shoot your dog on sight if it escapes from you. Simple little equation.

The difference is cats were designed to hunt, that's what they do. Sometimes, they can get out of the house and they have no capacity to think and reason. You, on the other hand, do and if this is the best you can come up with, then sorry to say, but there's something not quite right with you. It seems you are not too far removed from the reasoning of a cat or dog.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by selfharmonise

Not going to respond to this, I think I have already agreed to someone on here that humans are worse then cats.
But my point is there is an obvious solution to cats which is locking them up.

Not going to respond? There's a first!

So, you're changing your stance now.

You don't want to kill cats...you just want to lock them up!

Why didn't you say that at the start?

You could have avoided making yourself look stupid.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   

I'm fairly sure I said I would pefer other options but it is obvious cat owners are not willing to take repsonibility and do them.
You probably couldnt have avoided making yourself look like an ignorant.

At the end of the day the cat side has no valid argument

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Kratos1220

f your pet

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   

f your pet

Just responding to this so you can't edit it out when you realise how aggressive and puerile this comment is.

This sums your argument up.

You could have just stated this exact phrase in your opening post and saved yourself some time.
edit on 19-2-2012 by selfharmonise because: Just getting the grammar right

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   

I'm fairly sure I said I would pefer other options but it is obvious cat owners are not willing to take repsonibility and do them.
You probably couldnt have avoided making yourself look like an ignorant.

At the end of the day the cat side has no valid argument

Ignorant is an adjective not a noun, the word you're looking for is ignoramus.

But I believe dunce may be easier for you to spell.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   

f your pet

Real mature, thanks for proving my point.

Second line.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
If the cat #s/pees in your yard and it won't stop even after complaining to the owner then it's time to let your shotgun do the talking. Other than that, no.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shred
If the cat #s/pees in your yard and it won't stop even after complaining to the owner then it's time to let your shotgun do the talking. Other than that, no.

You sir need serious help.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Its a bit annoying when every person starts using the same argument over and over when I have already debunked it

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join