It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Policeman ‘Chased Himself’ for 20 Minutes While Looking for Suspect

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
It sounds like a scene from a Keystone Cops movie but a policeman from Sussex Police spent 20 mins chasing himself under the guidance of CCTV operators

The undercover probationary officer was patrolling the area after a series of burglaries and was alerted by CCTV operators of a nearby suspect , unaware the suspect was himself .

“Every time the man darted in to another side alleyway, the PC was turning immediately into the same alleyway, but every time the CCTV operator asked what he could see there was no trace,” the senior officer revealed.

The mistake was only realised after a sergeant inside the CCTV control room recognised the young officer, prompting mass hilarity. The pursuit came to light after a senior officer spoke of the incident to a magazine published by the Police Federation.

“With the sergeant's sides aching from laughter he pointed out to the PC that the operator had been watching him unaware that he was a pain-clothes officer – thus the PC had been chasing himself round the streets,” he added.
uk.news.yahoo.com...

I just hope they don't destroy the tape and it gets "leaked" to youtube

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
must be nice being able to treat city streets like your own private racetrack

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1825114
must be nice being able to treat city streets like your own private racetrack

it's called abuse of power. the police no longer share the street with you, they own it.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Allways amusing to see police scum chasing their own tail! On another note there camera systems/operators seem vulnerable to this type crazy occurrence at least this time. Anybody know any other cool factoids about CCTV in the UK or anyways to mess with there pervasive totalitarian surveillance systems?
edit on 7-2-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Well thank god he didn't shoot himself. Can't wait for someone on youtube to take the video and do a mash-up with Michael Jackson's "Man in the mirror"

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

haha, typical!
all in a days work, I would say.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by BBalazs
reply to post by gortex

haha, typical!
all in a days work, I would say.

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when they realized what was happening , much red faces and ribbing I would guess

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
well after reading the responses it's obvious to me that no one here ever screwed up or had a bad day at work. Lucky I suppose.

Unless no one here is employed

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
He must have been a police intelligence officer

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

Police intelligence is a contradiction in terms!

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Funny story, but honestly I find the Brits love affair of CCTV's to be extremely creepy.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by clintdelicious

Police intelligence is a contradiction in terms!

Yes the Keystone Cop reference was nearer the mark

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by gortex

Funny story, but honestly I find the Brits love affair of CCTV's to be extremely creepy.

We dont love them
Quite the opposite - they are forced on us

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
delete
edit on 7-2-2012 by mr-lizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by grubblesnert
well after reading the responses it's obvious to me that no one here ever screwed up or had a bad day at work. Lucky I suppose.

Unless no one here is employed

You have to have a sense of humour
Yes I have work
But yep that cop will be the brunt of his mates jokes

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

"under the guidance of CCTV operators"
sounds like your decisions can only be as good as the information and guidance your being given by the person on the other end of the radio.

I've been there.
E.G: " Engine 1 respond to a gas leak" Does the dispatcher mean
1. Natural gas
2. propane from a cylinder
3. Unknown gas possibly toxic, corrosive, explosive
4. Gasoline leaking from who knows what (start a new count down)

Ask to many questions of the the dispatcher and get the"chilly voice" which will intimidate a less confident responder and shutdown furthur clarification.
Don't ask enough, make an assumtion and arrive on scene of something totally unexpected (this is never fun).
Be the officer in charge of the call (Me) and be ultimately responsible for everything or anything that goes wrong. Including loss of property and loss of life (the public or your crew) due to you "assuming" the wrong thing.

Based on what information was provided by the OP this kind of screwup was a typical rookie mistake.
Notice the "senior" officer recoginized what was going on and corrected it.
That is usually the position I find myself in being a "senior officer'. I have corrected a few.
There is nothing like experience.
This kind of story, shared and discussed with other officers, is what gives rookies the experience to not do something embarrasing, or worse, again. Sharing these stories with other police and in my case Fire Rescue members is an important part of learning and risk managment.
And yes it make for a funny story that outsiders and the public can poke fun at and arm chair analysis.

Peace

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

post by Rockpuck
I find the Brits love affair of CCTV's to be extremely creepy

It's a love affair enjoyed mainly by the authorities and the paranoid , the funny thing is when they are actually needed they tend not to be working ... as happened with the police murder of the totally innocent Jean Charles de Menezes
.... never forget ...never forgive .

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by grubblesnert

Good to hear from someone who knows
I am sure the police also get a laugh from the antics of the public at times
Wer'e all just Human after all even if we wear different uniforms at times
You sound a responsible person and if you have public safety in mind I thank you.

edit on 7-2-2012 by artistpoet because: typo

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by gortex
reply to post by Rockpuck

post by Rockpuck
I find the Brits love affair of CCTV's to be extremely creepy

It's a love affair enjoyed mainly by the authorities and the paranoid , the funny thing is when they are actually needed they tend not to be working ... as happened with the police murder of the totally innocent Jean Charles de Menezes
.... never forget ...never forgive .

I forgive any who make honest mistakes - But as regards Menzes their is muddied waters concerning him witnessing bombs being planted by people who should not have been doing so - but that is another story and inconclusive.
edit on 7-2-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

post by artistpoet
muddied waters concerning him witnessing bombs being planted by people who should not have been doing so

There is no muddy water , he had nothing to do with anything , he witnessed nothing and knew nothing or anybody involved with 7/7 .... he was an innocent member of the public who was executed by the Met due to their incompetence .....R.I.P

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join