It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lost for nearly a week, family considered eating pet. Would YOU do it?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by rival

The little one I think would go nicely with some lemon-pepper and garlic potatoes. The middle one is definitely destined for the barbeque pit (if need be). And the fat one would probably be delicious baked with butter mushrooms and onions, and then consumed with a nice Chianti and some fava beans.......

That is absolutely horrible, but I laughed. Thanks hehe

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

if it were that simple, we wouldn't need search and rescue teams.
Your berating others for not knowing something when you don't know that much yourself.

What are you talking about.....

it is that simple.....You pick a direction and you never move off course......use the Moon...Use the Sun as reference.

If you stay in the forest it is impossible to leave the forest...You are relying on others to find you...

Leave debris pointing in the direction you are about to head and always head that direction....Forests are only so big and you can cover a lot of ground in 6 days.

Do I still sound like I don't know what I'm talking about ?

Also take find something you can leave markings with so if people are looking they can follow your trail.

You can't just be helped....You need to help them help you.

Just sitting there IS stupid.....for a 1 -3 days...maybe...but best bet is to get moving. Try and follow a water source perhaps...

These are all just basic things that people who are even somewhat intelligent should and or would know to think of during a time of Survival.

Those are just off the top of my head....If I had 6 days to think I could come up with 20-40 more things to do to help me get out of there.

maybe it is you who thinks they know too much.

This being said...there are thousands of people on this planet who could give much more in depth advice than I ever could.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegagefather

Originally posted by Char-Lee
reply to post by UFO1414

I saw a guy that ate his little dog named Peanut...the little thing tried his best to help the guy in a bad situation and he got ate after just a week. People can go up to a month or more without food! I once went without anything but water for 14 days. I didn't die! people think they are starving the first time they feel a hunger pang since they are all so well fed all their lives!

Your energy goes a lot faster trying to find your way through an untamed forest without being able to catch proper sleep than it does sitting in front of a monitor with a sink 20 feet away from you.

You do realize finding drinkable water wouldn't be that easy, right?

True finding water is the # one if you have none with you. I personally was in the wilderness exploring caves when i went 14 days. i was raised in a starving family, we often went a week without food.
You feel really good on the third day without food..after that you still feel good no hunger at least for someone raised like me.
In in case people think they are dying often when they are far from it. The guy who ate his pup who had been with him since he was a boy...he called him family...threw up all he ate and the next day found civilazion which he nearly walked past since his dog was not there to smell and hear it for him!

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by UFO1414

It's still an animal.

Some speculate that's the original reason why we started having cats and dogs.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

reply to post by popsmayhem

This is true. I know people who do the survival courses where they drop you somewhere for a month. They said you would be shocked at what you would start eating when you get hungry enough.

Most people i know declare their animal friends part of the family...but they would not even consider eating the OTHER family members in a crisis, they would rather die first!

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Griffo515

Or perhaps hang this above their front door...so they get a reminder before they leave...

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Well... IF I was starving then perhaps I would... But like so many here said before me, a dog would probably be more useful to have in the woods then any human companion. I'm sure a dog of moderate size could kill a squirrel or two.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
You would be suprised what you would do to survive.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I consider the dog and cats to be members of the family and not just animals that we own, so no I would not. To me that would be like thinking about killing and eating my dad or sister. I would rip the bark off a tree or eat grubs from under a dead log.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I love all the "No's", "No way", "Absolutely not". Pah-lease...these cats would be up on my grill, without hesitation. Why do you think i'm keeping them so fat? When SHTF, and ain't no food left at the markets...animals will be EXTINCT; quicker than we can imagine!!! There won't be a grasshopper left!

Oh wait, i get it....you think dying of hunger is easy???

But get this, with all the overweight people in the world, complete CHAOS would hit, the moment the snack isles go empty. Y'all think i'm joking....but i'm dead serious. The moment their stomach starts growling, it will be on and poppin'. Believe that! And if you think not....try fasting, for about a week; and let me know how that goes!

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Well I tend to go with the "no way" camp. But I also think that none of us have been in this situation. I'm sure the people that went through it probably would have said "no way" too.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I am a pet owner and have always had pets around. When my first goldfish died when I was seven I bawled over it. I love animals. With all that being said, I have pondered the possibility of one day being in a situation like this and this is my answer: I would eat the animals. True, my bond with them is very strong, yet they are still animals. And if eating my pet, be it what it is, if it meant the difference between my life, or the life of anyone in my family, such as my children, then, while it would be hard to do, I would have no problem doing it. Human life in my eyes is much more precious than animal life, even animals I may be attached to and have a great fondness for.

Now that being said, I doubt it will ever come to that.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Let’s think about this the other way around. . .. .
To everyone who has a pet, . . of any sort. ..
Might you suspect that your pet would eat you?
I am willing to lay money down to say that they would
Without any hesitation what so ever if it came down to it.
For example,
Once upon a time there was a really nice little old lady that
lived down the street from me when I was a child. Everyday she
would be outside doing something. She was really fond of sweeping
her yard with a broom. In any event, everyone knew her because she
spent allot of time outside. Then, interestingly enough, no one had
seen her for several days which had turned into a couple of weeks.
There was a police officer who lived across the street from her and
decided to go to her house to check on her one day. When he was
knocking on the door, he could see through the window and noticed
a large number of cats wandering around inside. . .. . .. . .. ..
Did I mention that she had about 60 cats living the house with her ?
The police officer opened the front door to go inside to see if he
could find the little old lady. As the door opened a foot or so, he was
met with a gut wrenching stench so powerful he immediately suffered
a case of projectile vomiting. He knew then that the nice little old
lady had passed away, somewhere in the house, sometime within
that couple of week period. When the medical crews came in to get
her, they made a grizzly discovery. The poor kitty cats could only go
so long without eating. They must have gotten really hungry and could
not help themselves. Most of the really nice little old lady had been
eaten. There was roughly 40% of her flesh left.
Now, on that note, how long do you think it took before the cats got
hungry enough to eat her? A couple of days?, a week?, 2 weeks?
The point is that an animals reptilian brain will override it conscience.
So, how can you not consider eating your pet if it came down to it? They
Would eat you.

On a side note, .. . I in fact do have 7 dogs. I love them all like they are family.
I have given this topic some serious thought. One thing that comes to mind
is the Donner Party. I know cannibalism is a different animal entirely BUT, how does that really rate against FAMILY. Weather you eat your brother or your dog, it
really is the same thing when it is looked at in that respect. Either way, it would
be something that you might think Highly improbable until you are faced with
that situation first hand.

My Conclusion. . .. .
I think I would be willing to go half way. So, instead of killing a dog to eat it,
I would maybe take a leg if I had to. I would administer some sort of medical
Attention as in a tourniquet or something to stop the bleeding. Hopefully, that
leg might be enough to tide you over until help arrived.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Petriclivicus

So your saying you cant eat a good dog like that all at once?

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Petriclivicus
Let’s think about this the other way around. . .. .
To everyone who has a pet, . . of any sort. ..
Might you suspect that your pet would eat you?
I am willing to lay money down to say that they would
Without any hesitation what so ever if it came down to it.
For example,
Once upon a time there was a really nice little old lady that
lived down the street from me when I was a child. Everyday she
would be outside doing something. She was really fond of sweeping
her yard with a broom. In any event, everyone knew her because she
spent allot of time outside. Then, interestingly enough, no one had
seen her for several days which had turned into a couple of weeks.
There was a police officer who lived across the street from her and
decided to go to her house to check on her one day. When he was
knocking on the door, he could see through the window and noticed
a large number of cats wandering around inside. . .. . .. . .. ..
Did I mention that she had about 60 cats living the house with her ?
The police officer opened the front door to go inside to see if he
could find the little old lady. As the door opened a foot or so, he was
met with a gut wrenching stench so powerful he immediately suffered
a case of projectile vomiting. He knew then that the nice little old
lady had passed away, somewhere in the house, sometime within
that couple of week period. When the medical crews came in to get
her, they made a grizzly discovery. The poor kitty cats could only go
so long without eating. They must have gotten really hungry and could
not help themselves. Most of the really nice little old lady had been
eaten. There was roughly 40% of her flesh left.
Now, on that note, how long do you think it took before the cats got
hungry enough to eat her? A couple of days?, a week?, 2 weeks?
The point is that an animals reptilian brain will override it conscience.
So, how can you not consider eating your pet if it came down to it? They
Would eat you.

On a side note, .. . I in fact do have 7 dogs. I love them all like they are family.
I have given this topic some serious thought. One thing that comes to mind
is the Donner Party. I know cannibalism is a different animal entirely BUT, how does that really rate against FAMILY. Weather you eat your brother or your dog, it
really is the same thing when it is looked at in that respect. Either way, it would
be something that you might think Highly improbable until you are faced with
that situation first hand.

My Conclusion. . .. .
I think I would be willing to go half way. So, instead of killing a dog to eat it,
I would maybe take a leg if I had to. I would administer some sort of medical
Attention as in a tourniquet or something to stop the bleeding. Hopefully, that
leg might be enough to tide you over until help arrived.

he ate her when she was already dead...many animals will give their lives for their "owners" and die before harming what they consider their family or pack.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85

reply to post by LucidDreamer85

if it were that simple, we wouldn't need search and rescue teams.
Your berating others for not knowing something when you don't know that much yourself.

What are you talking about.....

it is that simple.....You pick a direction and you never move off course......use the Moon...Use the Sun as reference.

If you stay in the forest it is impossible to leave the forest...You are relying on others to find you...

Leave debris pointing in the direction you are about to head and always head that direction....Forests are only so big and you can cover a lot of ground in 6 days.

Do I still sound like I don't know what I'm talking about ?

Also take find something you can leave markings with so if people are looking they can follow your trail.

You can't just be helped....You need to help them help you.

Just sitting there IS stupid.....for a 1 -3 days...maybe...but best bet is to get moving. Try and follow a water source perhaps...

All water will run downhill and lead to valleys all valleys pretty much have people.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by parsecdude
Firstly, who the heck hunts mushrooms in FEBRUARY? Secondly, who the heck goes out in the woods UNPREPARED without a compass, firearm, SOME food and survival supplies? Thirdly, if they were mushroom hunting, why didn't they eat the freakin' mushrooms? This was a case of natural selection being short-circuited. As for eating MY pet? Would NEVER even come to that as I would never get into that kind of a situation in the first place! GROW A BRAIN!

We also got lost mushroom hunting...food is not the problem, it is water, we were in a wet area in the pacific N.W. yet there was no water and we got really thirsty withing hours of walking..actually crawling through dense stuff. If you have water food is not a problem for a long time.

well-documented studies reporting survivals of other hunger strikers for 28, 36, 38 and 40 days.
www.scientificamerican.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Dogs are animals, I have eaten dog, not knowingly, but when I found out,,,,it wasnt too bad....taste just like chicken. Sure as poo if your rover was hungry and you were rotting in yer lounger from that coranary from eating too much mcdonalds.....little miffy will begin to eat you....

When humans arent around.......and dogs are wild.....they eat each other if no other food is present. If people are that hungry.......and no other food is obtainable.....it is highly likely that people will eat each other......

Get over it....if your hungry enough and the cubbards are bare....Im sure you will.....again no offense, but dogs are a tasty meal...just ask Korea....and if you don't think Koreans eat dogs? Thats where I had a taste. Dont be so obtuse in yer over PC bubble that you inflate.....

Was wondering why I didnt see any cows..........

if you really wanna flag me for speaking the truth.....I got yer violation right here cupcake....

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Made my day..............we need more light stuff like this to lighten the discussion.

Very funny!!!!!

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join