It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lost for nearly a week, family considered eating pet. Would YOU do it?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Wouldn't have to resort to that because there there is abundant food around here in the forest.
There are many, many forms of edible plants and some critters you can get without weapons.
If I had a firearm *(which I never travel without) it would only open more possibilities.

Someone who is starving in the wilderness is unprepared and uneducated in survival.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
It makes me think of the Donner party. A group of pioneers who got snow bound. Lots of them ended up resorting to cannibalism just to survive. They ate the dead people. Kind of makes you wonder who was more fortunate. The survivors or the ones who died.

I think it is easy to say that we could never do such a thing, but really, I think that we don't know what we could do until we find ourselves in the situation ourselves ( And hopefully none of us ever do).

I suppose if I had to and there was no other way to survive, I would. Id be sad and heart broken, but when you are starving to death, you get desperate. Humans are a complex species. Just look through history to find what we will do in order to survive another day.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

aw....cutie pie

I hear dogs and hunters are never a good mix.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I would absolutely not eat my dog, we might go hunting to find something together though. Cats however are another story, I hear they taste a lot like chicken.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

A really really REALLY good book I read was "Ordeal By Hunger" can't remember by who but it's a famous book and includes some diary entries from the Donner party.

Very interesting reading.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
In the book King Rat, there is a cool part where they cook a guys pet dog and eat it. They didnt get meat in Changi so the guys all thought it was the best meal they had ever had.

They also have a scam going where they breed rats and sell rat meat to the unsespecting officers who think the meat is something else. Great book.

ebooksportonline.posterous.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I would eat tree bark, leaves and dirt and share with my pet.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshF

Where the hell did you find 5 dead cats and two dead german shepard's... is what I'm asking!
And to the OP I could never get to killing and eating my dear english bulldog even if he is quite chunky.
Plus I'd need some company to try and keep a little joy and hope in an extreme environment.

Peace and much Love

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoLoveInFear46and2
reply to post by JoshF

Where the hell did you find 5 dead cats and two dead german shepard's... is what I'm asking!

I have a deal worked out with the local vet.

But in a survival situation, the trick is that you eat your neighbors dog before he does.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Thankfully their are plenty of Bambi's out here and I have grown a close understanding with them. They don't run right away, I've had a doe stalk me through the woods one time, they know me as the peaceful giant of the forest. however if I need food I'm sorry Bambi you got a purty mouth and I need to eat.
edit on 7-2-2012 by Surtur because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by UFO1414

I saw a guy that ate his little dog named Peanut...the little thing tried his best to help the guy in a bad situation and he got ate after just a week. People can go up to a month or more without food! I once went without anything but water for 14 days. I didn't die! people think they are starving the first time they feel a hunger pang since they are all so well fed all their lives!

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
When I initially read the title of your thread, my impulse answer was a empathetic "Yes"

But then I thought about my best friends dog, and the bond that I have with it. She has a standard poodle (never thought I would like poodles but that is a different story), That dog is one of the most loving, loyal and, well mannered dogs I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.
Just the thought of hurting that dog brought a real tear to my eye. I could never look that dog in eye and take its life, or any other dog, now that I have witnessed the depth and profound effect a "mere" pet can have on a person.

Now if it had died by natural means then yes, but only out of extreme desperation.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by LeTan

It depends on the forest. Not all forests are teeming with life.

They don't call the pine barrens in NJ the barrens for nothing.

I kind of agree. However, even in the Pine Barrens, you can find food. As a matter of fact, pine bark is edible and you have more than you can eat.

Edible Pine Bark

I wouldn't expect much resourcefulness from these people in the article though.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I am presently not a pet owner and also I did not read the story, should have before posting, but i get the gist of it.

I may seriously think about it IF:

A) The meat would sustain me and \ or my family until i knew fairly certainly that rescue was close.

B) I was with my family and to choose between a human and an animal is USUALLY not a hard decision for me.

To just take a chance for myself i doubt i would eat my dog. One reason is i am squeamish about dog meat and I would, most likely, love my dog. So we would die together.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
It is questions like this that makes me think that a pet pig is the best pet that I can have. My pet will come in handy when we get lost in the woods.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by UFO1414

depends if i was stranded and no other food was available. you would feel pretty bad if you ate your pet and the next day you were rescued.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
No. I'd sooner put my own life on the line for my dogs.

Any who reciprocates a lifetime of unconditional love and loyalty by eating their canine companion even when at the brink of starvation is sick in the head and has no honor.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Hell yeah id eat my pet to live, you guys are naive. Lets say theres no source of food around and you dont eat your dog and you die...guess whats gonna happen.. your dog is going to eat you to stay alive..funny how things work out huh. So yep id serve up a heaping portion to me and my family to stay alive

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Malcher
So we would die together.

That's a beautiful sentiment and one with which I concur.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by solids0be
Hell yeah id eat my pet to live, you guys are naive. Lets say theres no source of food around and you dont eat your dog and you die...guess whats gonna happen.. your dog is going to eat you to stay alive..funny how things work out huh. So yep id serve up a heaping portion to me and my family to stay alive

I wouldn't have a problem with my dog or family eating me. I just wouldn't ever consider eating my dog or family.
[snip].
edit on 7/2/2012 by rexusdiablos because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-2-2012 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join