It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are these 10 figures just like Jesus Christ??

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Oxygenation

try reading about mithra
'born' on dec. 25 from a virgin
turned water into wine
12 deciples
etc..... many other 'gods' the romans borrowed myths for to create jesus' image.
Yeoshua the man would be utterly appauled (paul? no pun intended!) by christianity.
it is against the law of the torah to worship anything,be it man or idle,as a god!
'forgive them for they know not what they do'! the kingdom of heavan is here on earth. IT IS IN YOU!
ther is an old saying, - if you want to perform the miricles of the christ,you must firs do the works of the christ!
peace

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Hey really cool discussion taken place here after checking back this morning..

I should have said in the OP that the work itself isnt my own.. It was a copy and paste job and being new to the T&C on ATS i was unaware i should have provided ref points/links.. so i hold my hands up there.

I will read the rest of the posts and give some on my own input soon..

Thanks again!

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
reply to post by Shark_Feeder

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

If the devil is such a “boogieman”, then why is there a devil figure in ALL religions?

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world that nothing else but Him existed.

And when one considers the fact that the Devil = Lucifer = Bright Flaming Light of the Mind = the Conscious mind, then one sees that almost every aspect of modern society is dominated by the idea that our perceivable consciousness is all that exists and that the 'Devil" rules us: sadly.

Behold! I have lived many years, and I have traveled
in every land that is under the dominion of the
Sun, and I have sailed the seas from pole to pole.
Now do I lift up my voice and testify that all is
vanity on earth, except the love of a good woman,
and that good woman LAYLAH. And I testify
that in heaven all is vanity (for I have journeyed
oft, and sojourned oft, in every heaven), except the
love of OUR LADY BABALON. And I testify
that beyond heaven and earth is the love of OUR
LADY NUIT.
And seeing that I am old and well stricken in years,
and that my natural forces fail, therefore do I rise
up i my throne and call upon THE END.
For I am youth eternal and force infinite.
And at THE END is SHE that was LAYLAH, and
BABALON, and NUIT, being...

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
It's a useless argument.

In this day and age, there is a huge misunderstanding regarding the Bible. Jesus never meant for people to follow HIM...he meant for his EXAMPLE to be followed. But we focus on the man, not the acts...we have completely overlooked the most important part, because we have mistaken what we want for what we need.

Everyone wants to have a saint to always believe in, as well as a god to worship. After all, if someone were to say, "We are gods" and you look around and see what we've done to the planet and each other, you would think, "We're gods asleep, and this is what we've done to ourselves? We're doomed."

No one wants to face reality...they would rather remove all power, responsibility, and blame from themselves so they can pretend to be ignorant sheep just following the master.

Slavery is freedom. We are not strong enough to shoulder our mistakes and responsibilities...that's why we have reinvented God to do it for us.
edit on CMondayam555505f05America/Chicago06 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

edit on CMondayam404006f06America/Chicago06 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by FRATERPERDURABO

Lucifer is never used in the Bible in relation to the Devil. In some pseudopigraphal texts he is an entirely different persona then Satan, the same as death.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 2/6/2012 by defcon5 because: tags

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainNemo

Christ is one of the least documented 'gods' to exist while Pagan 'gods' DID exist.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
Jesus never meant for people to follow HIM...he meant for his EXAMPLE to be followed. But we focus on the man, not the acts...we have completely overlooked the most important part, because we have mistaken what we want for what we need.

Christ does want people to follow him, and to follow his example as well.
Do you understand why the messiah was even sent in the first place?

Because God is infinitely good/perfect, when we sin our deed becomes infinitely evil by comparison. Only God himself could pay the price to forgive us our sins, and only through acceptance of Christ do we qualify for that forgiveness. Christ did not primarily come here to provide an example, though he did teach while he was here, it was not his ultimate purpose as the Messiah. His purpose was to defeat sin and death through his own death on the cross.

He provided the ultimate sacrifice so none other was necessary. This is why the curtain of the Temple rent in two upon Christs death, no further sacrifice was now acceptable to God as they were all of lesser value then Christs. This curtain was the partition to the Holy of Holies, that the Temple Priest went through once a wear to sprinkle blood on the mercy seat of the ark, for the forgiveness of the sins of Israel.

Slavery is freedom. We are not strong enough to shoulder our mistakes and responsibilities...that's why we have reinvented God to do it for us.

God is not to blame for the human condition either. The current human condition is living under the law in a word of sin. This is not the world as it was intended for man, but was brought about as a consequence of mans own actions of disobedience. If we had not chosen to live under the law, we would have never known death, pain, or any of the other horrors that we now experience in this world. Its because of disobedience and sin that we are now subject to evil and death.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

I'm not arguing religion with you. You choose to believe the Bible is both infallible and meant to be taken literally, go right ahead.

We'll all be right here when you decide to open your eyes.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Viking9019

Christ is one of the least documented 'gods' to exist while Pagan 'gods' DID exist.

Oh really? Prove the pagan gods existed. I'd love to hear this...and no, I'm not being sarcastic. So far, we don't have a lot of proof any specific gods exist...we only have proof of a very powerful intelligence.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

You choose to believe the Bible is both infallible and meant to be taken literally, go right ahead.

I have never stated that I believe that everything in the Bible is to be taken literally.
Some of it is most certainly not supposed to be, especially in the Old Testament. However the Old Testament is not really the focus of Christianity, it provides background information that helps people understand the New Testament. I do take the Gospels as being literal though.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Because most of these claims have been debunked and it is a good way to get people to read your website.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I think what is important to note is that many religions have stories in them which appear across most other religious books.

The Great Flood, The concept of the Trinity, Stories about how the world came to be, The nature of God, The Son of God, The virgin mother, End time prophecies, those apposed to God.. there are simply too many common themes not to realize that most holy books share many common stories.

One poster mentioned that the Zoroastrian figure was the very first.. others have commented that Christ was the first and only and all others are the devils way of misguiding us.

There are so many conflicting opinions here..

I was wondering if there was someone educated in religious texts who can point me to some source of information which explains which was the oldest predated religion.

I have heard about the akashic records being the first known religious text and others say it was the the talmud or zohar.. the jewish hold books..

Does anyone have any concrete facts about the very first root religion?

I would be more than interested to know..

Thanks

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Everyone is going to claim theirs is the original, and there is no incontrovertible facts as to what came first, only beliefs. I guess the closest your going to get is the oldest religious writings that we have found so far, which would be the Sumerians ATM: Ancient Literature.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by FRATERPERDURABO

reply to post by Shark_Feeder

If the devil is such a “boogieman”, then why is there a devil figure in ALL religions?

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world that nothing else but Him existed.

And when one considers the fact that the Devil = Lucifer = Bright Flaming Light of the Mind = the Conscious mind, then one sees that almost every aspect of modern society is dominated by the idea that our perceivable consciousness is all that exists and that the 'Devil" rules us: sadly.

Sightings of Thelemites in the wild are becoming somewhat rare, these days.

Uncle Al's perspective was an interesting one, and can be extremely liberating, it's true. However, he did not adhere to Confucius' doctrine of the mean, in any sense of the word, unfortunately. His life was characterised by various forms of excess. Freedom beyond certain self-proscribed limits, has a tendency of reducing down to entropy.

"Everything is permissible for me"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"--but I will not be mastered by anything.
-- 1 Corinthians 6:12

Still, it is worth pointing out that the Christian form of excess, is usually at the other extreme; disallowing themselves from doing anything.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shark_Feeder

My favorite...the devil copied the story of Jesus in advance, in order to confuse true believers with ancient faiths.

This is technically, the official Christian story to date. "We're really 100% right...but the devil is a time traveler."

No, not even close. There is no 'official Christian' reply to this claim, but if there were it would most likely be, 'please provide sources for your claims that come from scholarly sources and not Acharya S".

When you track down the sources behind the claims that have popped up about the so called similarities between Jesus and other religious figures, you find that they are superficial at best. And those are the ones that are accurate. Most are due to poor scholarship.

Eric

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by HangTheTraitors
It makes me feel [color=gold]so DAMNED ashamed to be part of a species of beings who really are [color=gold]dumb enough to believe that ALL of the past man-made, [color=gold]fictional MAN-GODS were created all by some fictional BOOGIEMAN who could predict the future and see some SPECIAL MAN-GOD was on the way, and therefore this FUTURE-TELLING-BOOGIEMAN spent all his time creating all those other MAN-GOODS throughout history just to fool people in the future.

It honestly is [color=gold]painful knowing that I am part of such a race of beings who are this flippin stupid!!

Does it ease that pain to be as sanctimonious as humanly possible? Did you have a point, other than to insult religious people?

Eric

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by reficul

try reading about mithra
'born' on dec. 25 from a virgin
turned water into wine
12 deciples

Actually, you may want to do some reading yourself.

Neither the Bible nor any Church that I'm aware of claims that Jesus was born on Dec. 25th.
Mithra wasn't born of a virgin.
Mithra did not have 12 disciples.
I'm not finding anything about Mithra turning water into wine. Can you provide a source for that? I can't offer a specific refutation on this as I can't find mention of it at all.

Almost invariably, when you go to original sources you will find that those who propose a copycat thesis have no basis for their argument. Many of the claims about Mithra could be turned on its ear by noting that Roman Mithraism was mostly post-Jesus.

Eric

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Jesus never meant for people to follow HIM...he meant for his EXAMPLE to be followed. But we focus on the man, not the acts...we have completely overlooked the most important part, because we have mistaken what we want for what we need.

Christ does want people to follow him, and to follow his example as well.
Do you understand why the messiah was even sent in the first place?

Because God is infinitely good/perfect, when we sin our deed becomes infinitely evil by comparison. Only God himself could pay the price to forgive us our sins, and only through acceptance of Christ do we qualify for that forgiveness. Christ did not primarily come here to provide an example, though he did teach while he was here, it was not his ultimate purpose as the Messiah. His purpose was to defeat sin and death through his own death on the cross.

He provided the ultimate sacrifice so none other was necessary. This is why the curtain of the Temple rent in two upon Christs death, no further sacrifice was now acceptable to God as they were all of lesser value then Christs. This curtain was the partition to the Holy of Holies, that the Temple Priest went through once a wear to sprinkle blood on the mercy seat of the ark, for the forgiveness of the sins of Israel.

God is not to blame for the human condition either. The current human condition is living under the law in a word of sin. This is not the world as it was intended for man, but was brought about as a consequence of mans own actions of disobedience. If we had not chosen to live under the law, we would have never known death, pain, or any of the other horrors that we now experience in this world. Its because of disobedience and sin that we are now subject to evil and death.

Your reply seems to be based on the supposition that the Messiah has come!

Firstly, we need to understand what the "Messiah" actually is! According to Judaism, one of the theologies/mythologies from which this concept arose, the Messiah is a mortal leader of the nation of Israel and his coming will be accompanied by the following criteria:

What is the Messiah supposed to accomplish? The Bible says that he will:

A. Build the Third Temple (Ezekiel 37:26-28).

B. Gather all Jews back to the Land of Israel (Isaiah 43:5-6).

C. Usher in an era of world peace, and end all hatred, oppression, suffering and disease. As it
says: "Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall man learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4)

D. Spread universal knowledge of the God of Israel, which will unite humanity as one. As it says: "God
will be King over all the world ― on that day, God will be One and His Name will be One" (Zechariah
14:9).

If an individual fails to fulfill even one of these conditions, then he cannot be "The Messiah."

Further, according to the alleged prophecy in Micah:

"But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are small among the clans of Judah, out of you will come for me one who will be ruler over Israel, whose origins are from of old, from ancient times."
Micah 5:2

This prophecy Christians hold up as proof that Jesus’ birth in Bethlehem was the fulfillment of a messianic prophecy from the Hebrew Scriptures. Having read a few different versions of the New Testament, I still have not been able to find a passage in which Jesus is declared the ruler or king of Israel by the authorities of his day. To be fair, he was declared king by his followers, yet this fringe group constituted neither the rulers nor even the mainstream of Israel at the time. This would be like my friends declaring me to be the king of the world! Although it would be flattering, it would not bestow upon me, any real authority! Further, if we read Micah chapter 5 in its entirety, we gain a little more context with regards to the passage that “Matthew” drew from. With this additional context we discover two rather shocking details. The first being, that the prophecy in question was not intended to prophesize the birth of Jesus Christ; and two, this particular prophecy remains unfulfilled to this day.

Micah 5:3 goes on to give an account of the events which will accompany the birth and life of the new Messiah:

The Lord will hand his people (Jews) over to their enemies.
That will last until the promised ruler (Messiah/Christ) is born.

According to this verse, Israel should have been freed from their enemies upon Jesus’ birth, which at that time were the Romans. History tells us, the Israelites continued to be under Roman rule even after Jesus’ alleged birth, death and for years after his resurrection. Jesus was not the Christ!

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by EricD

Originally posted by Shark_Feeder

My favorite...the devil copied the story of Jesus in advance, in order to confuse true believers with ancient faiths.

This is technically, the official Christian story to date. "We're really 100% right...but the devil is a time traveler."

No, not even close. There is no 'official Christian' reply to this claim, but if there were it would most likely be, 'please provide sources for your claims that come from scholarly sources and not Acharya S".

When you track down the sources behind the claims that have popped up about the so called similarities between Jesus and other religious figures, you find that they are superficial at best. And those are the ones that are accurate. Most are due to poor scholarship.

Eric

Dig a little deeper!

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   

reply to post by FRATERPERDURABO

Lucifer is never used in the Bible in relation to the Devil. In some pseudopigraphal texts he is an entirely different persona then Satan, the same as death.

edit on 2/6/2012 by defcon5 because: tags

You are right, but the name Lucifer is used to describe Christ!

et habemus firmiorem propheticum sermonem cui bene facitis adtendentes quasi lucernae lucenti in caliginoso loco donec dies inlucescat et Lucifer oriatur in cordibus vestris (2 Peter 1:19: Saint Jerome's Latin Vulgate)

English Translation: And we have the word of prophecy made more sure; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the morning star (Lucifer/Christ) arise in your hearts (2 Peter 1:19 American Standard)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join