It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3-4 years later, after being strongly anti-Obama....I will be voting for him for a second term.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+64 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Haven't posted in awhile...so hello everyone and hope everything is going well for you all.

Now, to the point: Why? Some of you probably already thought I would based on my most recent posts...although I have never came out screaming as a full blown Obama supporter....i used to be a STRONG STRONG advocate against him...as many here will know.

Times change...opinions change.

First: Quite frankly, all the Republican candidates are complete disasters...yes, i know many here are Ron Paul supporters, but it is simply not possible for Ron Paul to win the nomination....and should he have become a threat...you'd see what happened to Gingrich happen to him. The establishment will get what it wants...that's how it is for the GOP.

Second: Despite all of the craziness that has happened the last few years, through all the hatred, the hard times, the uncertainly...much of which still exists.....WE ARE ALL STILL HERE.

Third: Some of us are struggling...some are not....and although the situation could be much better...it could certainly be FAR FAR WORSE.....even with all of the obstruction and a do nothing Congress and Senate that we have.

Fourth: The middle class is in the middle of a collapse...wealth disparity has exploded. I look at our prior history, the middle class was the strongest when tax rates were the highest for the most wealthy. The last 30 years we have completely gone in the opposite direction....now most families...both parents have to work....affecting the time we can spend with our children. It has to change....we cannot blame everything on the education system....much of the problem can be cast on both parents having to work (because wages have not kept up with inflation). But to the point, Obama wants to head in the direction of raising taxes on the highest earners...and i support it.

Fifth: Obama HAS brought troops home....it's not exactly what I want (i'm more in line with Paul on his foreign policy..although not completely)....but it's certainly better than all of the current Republican candidates that are electable. He has also curbed military spending...which is a great thing.

I could go on....but that's where I am currently. I want my friends, neighbors, family, and my country...to be strong again....and it's in MY OPINION that the current crop of Republicans will set us on a pace for disaster....and that is why I'm voting for Obama.

I understand that our deficit sits at 15 trillion. I understand it has grown since he has came into office. Quite frankly, I BELIEVE that there is no way he could simply slash spending...or even raise taxes on the wealthiest...while the economy was in a tailspin. Some drastic measures had to be taken.....many of which i was COMPLETELY AGAINST.

It's going to be a crazy year....I'm actually predicting an easy victory...should the economy at least remain stable. Usually Presidents do their major policies in their second term.....they have nothing to lose and can try to do far more bolder things than in their first term.
edit on 27-1-2012 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

+37 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
wow, good luck with that. i hope he is everything you dream of.

+51 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Obama doesn't control squat.

So it doesn't really matter if it's Obama, Newt or Romney, it'll all end up the same thing.

+22 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

First: Quite frankly, all the Republican candidates are complete disasters...yes, i know many here are Ron Paul supporters, but it is simply not possible for Ron Paul to win the nomination....and should he have become a threat...you'd see what happened to Gingrich happen to him. The establishment will get what it wants...that's how it is for the GOP.

That's how it is for both parties. The truth is, the whole "party" idea is something that was created as a means to present the illusion of control to the masses. Vote for Obama, Vote for Paul, Vote for Colbert, it doesn't matter. The "Estabishment" (as you put it) absolutely chooses our Presidents, they choose our choices for President, and they rig the entire battle we see on the MSM just like the WWE rigs its weekly soap operas. I'd be willing to bet they've got the next 2-3 POTUS's lined up for the future, mapping their every political move to make sure the illusion of that win seems legit.
The whole system is so farcical it makes me sick.

edit on 27-1-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

+12 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Bravo. Mitt and Newt are both making me cringe.

As the bumpersticker says:
I'd rather see Obama break his promises than see the Republicans keep theirs.

Maybe, with the GOP rocked back on its heels, it will clean house and start sending people to Washington who will make the govt work, instead of this rule-or-ruin obstructionism.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jazzguy

Nope...he's not perfect...not even close....but there is no way I'm voting for the other guys...and I will vote for Obama to keep them out.

Moneybags Romney who has sent jobs overseas and rakes in 60k a day while the bulk of us bust our ass...and then tries to relate to me...corporations are people...banks are good people....sorry...absolutely not.
Corrupt to the bone Gingrich.
Neo-con Santorum.
Ron Paul has no chance to win. None. I know everyone here loves him but it's not going to happen.

And while Obama is certainly no where near perfect...not even close (absolutely no where close)......we would be in even worse condition right now if Republican was sitting in the white house right now.

Despite most of our hatred for the bailout of GM...and I was against it at the time as well....it saved an untold amount of jobs.....jobs of people I know...and quite frankly affected my job as well....although certainly not to the effect of other companies.

edit on 27-1-2012 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
link   
All the repub positions are extremely bad, they call for more of the same that wrecked our economy in the first place.

Obama will cruise, and the demos will most likely take back the house.

Republicans continue to mover further to the right.

link   
reply to post by David9176

For the record, I will be voting Obama too. For much the same reason as you laid out in your OP; although, I have supported Obama all along.

S&F

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I will be voting for obama because he killed bin laden...oh wait, this isnt yahoo comment section...

I dont think it matters much who gets elected, afterall wasnt the fact that Obama got elected but couldnt change anything proof the system is rigged? I mean he was the first (half) black president in history besides bill clinton, he promised change, he came off the collapse of the evil republicans, and besides slightly different rhetoric he is nothing different from a bush third term, except maybe more debt. OP says at least we are holding it together. I always thought Americans were proud of their exceptionalism, I guess now we are at least proud to not be labeled a third world dictatorship...for now.

This reminds me of the GOP argument of well, all the candidates suck but we have to vote for one, so long as it isnt ron paul. Sounds like a defeatist attitude to me.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Obama doesn't control squat. So it doesn't really matter if it's Obama, Newt or Romney, it'll all end up the same thing.

Vitchillo...do you think we'd be drawing any troops out right now if McCain were President...or any Republican for that matter?

We just start to cut military spending...and ALL the candidates (except for Paul) are already wanting to boost military spending.

+22 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

What if Paul DID win the nomination?

How would you vote in November?

This is important, because the GOP establishment needs to realize that voters like you exist. Actually MANY voters like you exist!! We aren't going to just vote for the GOP candidate, just because they march one out there and declare him the anti-Obama.

We will either be voting for a candidate we can actually support, or not voting at all, or actually voting opposite of our conscience just to get the ball rolling on the collapse of this government.

In your case, it seems you think Obama is the lesser of the evils, and I cannot disagree with that. Personally, I've vowed to never vote for the lesser of the evils again, but I'm not knocking your decision.

BUT, what if the GOP did get smart? What if they actually nominated Paul, and put him with a great running mate like Christie? And named a great cabinet with Kucinich, and Huntsman, and maybe Powell?

Is it possible, that the GOP could win your vote back if they actually did what the people are wishing they would do?

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Obama doesn't control squat.

So it doesn't really matter if it's Obama, Newt or Romney, it'll all end up the same thing.

It takes some folks longer than others to see the reality of the situation.
The "change I can believe in" will come when people stop following the facade these elections really are.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
First: Quite frankly, all the Republican candidates are complete disasters...yes, i know many here are Ron Paul supporters, but it is simply not possible for Ron Paul to win the nomination....

MY OPINION that the current crop of Republicans will set us on a pace for disaster....and that is why I'm voting for Obama.

Agreed. While I agree with Paul on some issues, I have extremely strong reservations about him on others, and believe he would be as bad for the country as would the rest of those clowns, albeit for different reasons.

I'm not sure it will be an easy victory for Obama... it should be, given the quality of the likely candidate (based on what we know today), but the GOP propaganda machine will be at top scream, and they are effective, even if they are full of BS. Which they are.

But yeah, this is going to be a banner year! It's almost like all the "news" networks got together and are running the same "reality" show... all the same show, each network covering it from a different angle.

For pure entertainment, it's tough to beat...

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

I'll tell you what, Obama would be a better choice than Santorum, Gingrich, or Romney... It's just such a shame Obama has broken numerous promises he made while campaigning the first time around, and continues to raise the debt ceiling limit. How is that change for the better? Sounds more like burden for the future. I just wonder what dubious promises he will make during his second campaign?

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Hi!
Good to see you!

I also will be voting for Obama in November for the reasons you stated and probably 6-7 more.
I want to give him the chance to do more of what he has been doing. Of course, I disagree with him on some issues and I'm not afraid to let him know.
But I am convinced that if the GOP had won, or wins this year, we would be in serious trouble. At least Obama is stopping the flow and turning the ship in a more favorable direction.

I would no longer consider supporting Ron Paul even if he got the nomination.

reply to post by Sek82

Read my signature.

edit on 1/27/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sek82
It's just such a shame Obama has broken numerous promises he made while campaigning the first time around, and continues to raise the debt ceiling limit. How is that change for the better? Sounds more like burden for the future. I just wonder what dubious promises he will make during his second campaign?

Obama is not perfect, nobody has tried to claim he is. What he is doing to recover our economy and place in the world may or may not be ultimately effective, but nation-wide social and economic systems have inertia, and he had a MASSIVE hole to dig out of.

It's like we are on an aircraft carrier going due north at 35 knots. Obama wants to be going due west. Given the inertia involved, it is going to take a while to get the carrier headed the right direction, especially given that many of the crew are actively trying to keep the carrier headed north.

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

What if Paul DID win the nomination? How would you vote in November?

I'm not voting for me....I'm voting for my daughter.

I just can't. Look, I understand why so many of you like him so much.....i just can't do it. There are some things that I do like that he stands for...as a previous poster stated.....but there are too many positions I can't support.

I realize everyone likes him because he is principled and continuously states the same things.....but that doesn't mean that I have to support him.

I love that he is anti-war....i love that he wants to bring all the troops home....but i believe in SS...I believe in Medicare...i believe in the federal minimum wage...I believe in Amber Alerts....I believe a united country is a stronger country.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
im writing my name in! will not vote for obama, gingrich romney or santorum. would vote for paul sure he wants to set us back a 100 years but should build character in the people having to chop wood for fire to stay warm tend to their own fields for food, everyone else wants to turn us into to welfare state which is a crummy concept if you cant take care of your self then you should die and make room for the next generation, same with health care technology how long to you people need to live? 80-90? i think 60 a good number your life pretty much down hill from there anyways. paul could win people just don't want to adjust to what his ideas whould mean, they rather have everyone else take care of them untill the dollar becomes useless and we all end up in same situation paul would take us except we would still be free and not locked into slavery like the rest of them would want

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I didn't vote in the last presidential election, then I watched what big right wing money did in the midterms, then I witnessed the obstructionist congress has done since. Watching the republicans attempt to hurt America and its citizens to make Obama look bad is unforgivable.

I will be voting for Obama in this election.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Howdy David. Welcome back.

Now go away.

I kid.

I can't imagine a situation where I would vote for Obama. I'm disappointd in the GOP candidates, the Tea Party candidate I liked was caught playing slap-n-tickle and stepped out.

I don't know what the US will look like after 4 years of a GOP winner.

But I can imagine what the US would look like after 4 more years of Obama.

So that's why I won't be voting for Obama.

But, it's still a marginally free country with limited rights, so you are still somewhat free to choose whom you want.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join