It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids seem so slow these days ! What's up with that ?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by WickettheRabbit

You have got something there. I owned books before I owned a computer or a bike. My Mother and Father took time to sit down with me to teach me things and to talk to me at the table a RARITY NOW A DAYS I KNOW...I see the product of its absence everyday walking up and down the streets.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by maestromason

I really don't think we have to hit our kids, or our dogs, or each other to get our point across.

My son has had a total of 3 spankings (really more of a swat I would say) in his life, two were warranted, one was when I just lost my temper, plain and simple. The two that were warranted were things that went far beyond the normal childhood naughtiness, and by god because it rarely ever happens he knew just how serious it was and it never happened again.

If spanking is your go to consequence, how do you up the ante when really bad infractions happen.

You can't just keep spanking harder, or giving more swats?!?!

I also think that too many adults have plenty of their own impulse and anger control problems, and it is much easier to just smack the kid, or the dog, to make it stop doing whatever it is doing.

The problem is that people don't understand the principles of motivation, discipline, logical consequences, and that solving the problem quickly and decisively is always better than nagging endlessly. We have to reward the behaviors we want, and either ignore or punish the ones we don't. But reward and punishment can be tricky, because often times things are self rewarding, and too often punishment isn't used well, or effectively. That and too many people confuse respect with fear.

I wish the basics of learning theory was required in high school, it would make all of us much better at controlling/or helping to change, not only our own behavior but the behavior of those around us.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by gluetrap

I must disagree....I do not believe in time out or none of that BS.

Spare the rod....spoil the child.

Ass whoopings are nothing more than part of proper protocol. Kept me as well as several generations before me in line and out of harms way.

When the "infractions" get really bad?

That is the whole point of whooping ass... so that they never get anywhere near "severe infractions".

Infractions sounds like a traffic violation.

Call it what it is. unruliness!

Get out of line you get your ass beat...flat and plain!

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

I will agree to disagree, I think that while spanking can be a tool, if used correctly, it should not be the only one in the bag. We don't need to put a nail in the wall using a jackhammer!
edit on 26-1-2012 by gluetrap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
My thoughts on this vary but here goes nothing, I think number one is people excreting medications down the drain and they are then re-cycled so to speak as in they are never filtered out nor can they be.
That is unless you spring for a 5 stage RO water filter system then you are good to go.

I have said in many posts here on ATS that we do not do TV, we do on occasions like the Olympics and the Stanly Cup finals.
What we have noticed is that any commercial or program cuts the picture at about every 2 seconds, if you watch any show you will see what I am talking about.
Movies no longer flow they are chopped up into 2-3 second bites.
Short attention span training is my thought.

Please check this out for yourself, focus on the amount of times the picture gets cut and not what you are watching.
Once you look for it, it is unmistakeably intentionally done.

I was born in 1960 and I can tell you that I could tie my shoes before kindergarten class came along.
Great thread and of great concern for sure.
S&F
Regards, Iwinder

edit on 26-1-2012 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-1-2012 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Well, touche...let us agree to disagree.

I always understood what I was getting my whooping for and never once held a grudge. There is a difference in cultures here so I will stop.

I grew up ok, I can't say the same for all of my peers who ran over their parents like a freeway(dead or in jail wishing that they were dead).

I have no felonies, no record, and an appreciation towards life and what the day brings.

A hard head makes for a soft behind is where I come from.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by maestromason

I must disagree....I do not believe in time out or none of that BS.

Spare the rod....spoil the child.

Ass whoopings are nothing more than part of proper protocol. Kept me as well as several generations before me in line and out of harms way.

When the "infractions" get really bad?

That is the whole point of whooping ass... so that they never get anywhere near "severe infractions".

Infractions sounds like a traffic violation.

Call it what it is. unruliness!

Get out of line you get your ass beat...flat and plain!

As I said earlier, I fully agree with this recourse. A lot of people today would be appalled at some of the whippings I got as a kid. But I grew up having a great respect and love for my parents. And I was such a full on boy, that the worst whippings with a switch, got to be something I knew I might have to go thru, to do what I was going to do at any given time.. Had it coming a lot more than I got it.. I believe kids actually deep down in their subconscious even crave corporal punishment.
edit on 26-1-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Also just to add to the mix here, when I was in Grade 1 I had a book case full of books and I read them all several times.
I was by no description a "Nerd" I was a very good athlete and even played some high school football.
To this day I read at least some of a book every day and enjoy it immensely.
For you younger folks here we did have a TV Black and white was all you got, on real long legs.
If you were lucky like us we lived close to Detroit and so we received 3 channels!

The deal was you never touched the TV and it was always off until the old man got home from work.
Watch the news and maybe Walt Disiney on Sunday nights and that was it.
If you got click happy with the dial you lost the tuner and that meant no TV until we could afford a repair.

My point is that we read books, played outside till we were threatened with a slap if we did not get our asses into the house for bed.

Now I am 52 and we live on a nice suburban street here, really quiet and I mean really quiet because I can't tell you in all honesty when we last saw a group of children playing outside on our street.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I agree! Once again we are primal beings. What we know we have known for over 200,000 years and as brutal as it sounds everyone made it out of childhood alive and with a new found appreciation towards one's PROPER PLACE and behavior both public and private. Our elders were extremely proper and swift in dispensing the iron fist.

There is no substitution for tactile correction.
edit on 26-1-2012 by maestromason because: *addition

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
When you do not whoop ass this is what happens....

edit on 26-1-2012 by maestromason because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Well you said it better than I could.

I was just thinking of the "natural order of things" right before I read your post lol.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by sixswornsermon

I love it! .),(((.,>

seez dey neva thouct dat weez peopls kudof maniged geitn outa da kornfieldz ....

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Yeah!!!!! finally she smells clean.

Before I went to work tonight, I was really stern with my niece and I said,

"No more excuses!, You better be washed up by the time I get home tonight!" "Say, Yes, Ma'am!" She says "Yes Ma'am." I made her repeat it like 5 x, and she's like "OK, you don't have to make me repeat it."

So I was like "OK. I better not have too."

I come home, she's clean as a whistle. Or, so her mom says. Whether she did or not, I don't know.

Now, let's see if she gives us a hard time about going to school. Made her repeat that like 5x too.

Funny how she listens to me and not her mother.

edit on 27-1-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Well, I must admit I'm a little confused by this post, but I think we are agreeing??????

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by sixswornsermon

Well, I must admit I'm a little confused by this post, but I think we are agreeing??????

That's ok, I look back at my own OP and think exactly the same thing. You can tell I must have climbed out of bed, bounced off a couple walls and just sterted typing whether I could read anything I was typing or not. I knew exactly what I was going to say and some how. Out of my head and on to these boards doesn't always go as planned.

Note to self. No coffee No typing.:

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by sixswornsermon

Just having a little fun at some else's expense. (smiles)

It seems that you can't post an opinion now-a-days without receiving some strange, way-out reply. See why I do not create threads?

sixswornsermon we see eye to eye on this issue. I mean others may gladly agree to disagree, but the facts are as true as the day is long.

Some of these people need to stay out of their children's medications, seriously!

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

You have only to click to this: deliberatedumbingdown.com... for a free copy I paid 12.95 for.

Where to begin with, let's start with a John D. Rockefeller quote:

I don't want a nation of thinkers, I want a nation of workers - John D. Rockefeller

Welcome to 1984 and the ushering in of the New World Order.

If you have to question this then you haven't been researching deep enough.

TPTB, The 1% want nothing more than mindless zombie/servants and anyone that has a brain and independence is a terrorist.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I truly believe that the dumbing down of America started with the over utilization of the television. No other nation in the world has the boob-tube as such an integral part of their lives than Americans. My grandfather used to say do not allow television to underestimate your intelligence. The over utilization of the television helped boost ignorance to a newer and higher level.

Add to that the fluoride water poisoning, HAARP, EM/RF radiation from powerful cell towers and signal repeaters, poor nutrition, pharmaceutical commercials aimed @ patients INSTEAD OF doctors, food additives,GMOs, ect, mixed with ever declining educational standards and what do you have? A cocktail for some SERIOUS dumbing down! This did not happen overnight, it took about 25-30 years of mainstreaming the BS to the sheeple of the United States.

Now these kids are being conditioned on the DNA level.

edit on 28-1-2012 by maestromason because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Good post Human and thank you. That quote leaves me seething. I want. What I want is. I. I. I. I. Me. Me. Me.

3333---------The Rockefellers------->

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
If the NWO wants workers instead of thinkers it shall have them by the droves here in the US.

It is what it is...you can't blame anyone but the person in the mirror for not taking advantage of what was once affordably available like higher education to make your life easier to life. I do not feel for you if you do not have an education and chose not to obtain one. Most people in the US have the worker bee mentality for a reason. Education starts in the home with home training.

I was always taught to use my intelligence to my advantage and to find a niche where I can wedge myself while prospecting for the next higher niche in life....and TO NEVER SETTLE! Onward and upward!

edit on 30-1-2012 by maestromason because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join