It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids seem so slow these days ! What's up with that ?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Stop talking about your niece. We don't need posts spanning threads talking about how you appraise her.

I wouldn't say kids are slower from what I've noticed. It could just be one of those things that each generation says says to the younger.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by maestromason
If the NWO wants workers instead of thinkers it shall have them by the droves here in the US.

It is what it is...you can't blame anyone but the person in the mirror for not taking advantage of what was once affordably available like higher education to make your life easier to life. I do not feel for you if you do not have an education and chose not to obtain one. Most people in the US have the worker bee mentality for a reason. Education starts in the home with home training.

I was always taught to use my intelligence to my advantage and to find a niche where I can wedge myself while prospecting for the next higher niche in life....and TO NEVER SETTLE! Onward and upward!

edit on 30-1-2012 by maestromason because: (no reason given)

So basically what you're saying is, you're really bitchen, cause the mom and pop you just happened to be born to, cared about you and taught you ambition. Which means they must have been well off enough to have time to do so. And anyone who was born under less favorable circumstances is an ignorant dumbass. Cool that makes you one for the books.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
reply to post by k1k1to

its crazy how they seem to know all the WRONG adult things, though

The "wrong adult things" are what generally make it to the media, whether that be TV, the internet, newspapers, magazines, movies...

right?! there really isn't any media intended for the general public that i feel comfortable exposing my daughter to these days. I love my GTA and Chapelle's Show just as much as the next guy, but i'd love to have a show or movie playing that i can watch with my babe that ISN'T super cute unicorns and rainbows and stuff. i think that would be good for the sanity of kids and adults, alike.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by RicoMarston

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
reply to post by k1k1to

its crazy how they seem to know all the WRONG adult things, though

The "wrong adult things" are what generally make it to the media, whether that be TV, the internet, newspapers, magazines, movies...

right?! there really isn't any media intended for the general public that i feel comfortable exposing my daughter to these days. I love my GTA and Chapelle's Show just as much as the next guy, but i'd love to have a show or movie playing that i can watch with my babe that ISN'T super cute unicorns and rainbows and stuff. i think that would be good for the sanity of kids and adults, alike.

I have to ask. So why not ? What are they showing that is so important to them that they don't have the time to come up with shows such as you've suggested. Instead of all the insanity.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
well how about lets take into consideration the nutrition
that nearly all kids are not getting.
along with the cell phone in the ear 24/7
and continual video gaming
seems to me lack of life is making them slow
edit on 1-2-2012 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Back when I grew up (Im 24) I had to sit at the table with the family and eat. I had to listen to my parents talk about their adult lives, and problems, and I hated it. I couldnt tune them out, and now I am so grateful it happened.

Kids these days live in a cocoon, they have their cell phones and Ipods and cant be bothered to take part in adult conversations. Its no wonder their IQ is dropping. Their development has stagnated, and will continue, as long as they have access to their social networks, and the ability to tune everyone else around them out.

As for the fluoride, I drank non fluoridated water til I was at least 17.
I like to think that played at least a little part in my not turning out to be slow.... but whos knows?

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by osirys
Back when I grew up (Im 24) I had to sit at the table with the family and eat. I had to listen to my parents talk about their adult lives, and problems, and I hated it. I couldnt tune them out, and now I am so grateful it happened.

Kids these days live in a cocoon, they have their cell phones and Ipods and cant be bothered to take part in adult conversations. Its no wonder their IQ is dropping. Their development has stagnated, and will continue, as long as they have access to their social networks, and the ability to tune everyone else around them out.

As for the fluoride, I drank non fluoridated water til I was at least 17.
I like to think that played at least a little part in my not turning out to be slow.... but whos knows?

Ha Ha you seem pretty sharp to me my young man. That was an intelligent reply.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
well how about lets take into consideration the nutrition
that nearly all kids are not getting.
along with the cell phone in the ear 24/7
and continual video gaming
seems to me lack of life is making them slow
edit on 1-2-2012 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

Hey Drummer, always nice to here from you.But I really have a hard time understanding what you mean here.
you honestly believe kids are lacking in nutrition even with great cereals like this to eat.

You can't be sereal !

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
At 11 they can't tell the time without looking at a computer screen, spell properly...
I literally can't understand an 11 year old.. when she posts on FB. Only when someone corrects her (someone who knows what she was talking about). Horrible spelling! Believe me, it's not because English is my second language.
A boy can date already, but doesn't know how to spell "beautiful". I can only imagine the love notes they write lol
Oh, I forgot , they write love notes on computer and send via Internet to an Iphone. All of the above has spell check, right?
Teenagers do math on computer and with a calculator.
Yes, they are great at XBox, but is it really a good thing? They are not ready for a real life. I know personally a 10 year old boy, who falls asleep with an Iphone in his hand and earphones in his ears. He wakes up and starts the day with his Iphone. He puts it down only at school (I hope lol) and holds it with one hand while he eats lol
I think you can only guess how the toilet looks like after he pees, because he is too busy watching Iphone.
I really feel sorry for today's children. They have no childhood.
They don't read the amazing books I read when I was their age. They don't play awesome games we played. They didn't see the beauty of our planet at the Dawn, because they usually sleep till late afternoon in summer time. No school, means they play till 3-4 am and then sleep till 2-4 pm.
What a life!
Why are people surprised that the majority of these children is obese?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   

i dont mean to offend you...but i bet the kid that cant tie his shoes at age 11...probably knows how to play XBOX and call of duty better than anyone else...

And... ?
Of what practical, spiritual, whatever use would that be in real life?
If he gets stuck in a wilderness somewhere, or in ANY real life scenario that requires problem solving and doesn't involve video games and such, what good would that be to a person who is unable even to tie his own shoes?

I know personally a 10 year old boy, who falls asleep with an Iphone in his hand and earphones in his ears. He wakes up and starts the day with his Iphone. He puts it down only at school (I hope lol) and holds it with one hand while he eats lol

Does he have no parents?
Where are his parents, for heavens' sake?
That's pretty severe neglect, no matter what excuse they may use.

edit on 2-2-2012 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
My youngest child has a mild form of Autism and I had to attend something the school calls M'Team meeting last week. I pointed out that my son is now in eleventh grade and can not read a clock....the teacher says yeah that's common. ?!?! His handwriting is terrible and they said it would be fine , they'll make sure he gets keyboarding.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by quitesane

I really feel sorry for today's children. They have no childhood.
They don't read the amazing books I read when I was their age. They don't play awesome games we played. They didn't see the beauty of our planet at the Dawn, because they usually sleep till late afternoon in summer time. No school, means they play till 3-4 am and then sleep till 2-4 pm.

Well said. I couldnt agree more.

I feel bad for kids these days, they are missing so much, and they dont even know it.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Well I've taken the initiative with my wifes boy. Because of this thread his Wii has set dorment since monday night. He comes home from school and I pick up the football. And him and a few neighbor kids are having a ball.
lol. So glad I wrote this thread. Last night they get home around four I looked out the window and they went for the ball without me. I was ecstatic but acted all butt hurt like they didn't need me anymore. Just for gags.

edit on 2-2-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I would like to chime in as someone on the "high" end of the young generation spectrum. First, a little backstory for me..

I grew up in a house with two parents who, while they loved each other, were also drunks sometimes which lead to physical abuse when I was young. We had clothes and food and a good roof over my head, but when I went on field trips I was always the kid trying to find the cheapest gifts or not eating as much as restaurants due to not having as much money. So, I retreated into books. Fiction, non-fiction, Fortean sciences, sci-fi, history, myths, anything and anything I could wrap my eager hands around. This continued into high school.

When high school hit, so did the depression. I had forgone books for video games and mindless hours on the Net, but in the light of my new depression I suddenly realized something. The tools at my disposal, the best information sharing network in the history of man, the largest book ever, is not to be abused. It is not meant to be a babysitter, or an escape. It is meant to enrich. Ever since that day, every minute I spend on the Net is productive - whether it's chatting with people who share my interests offline ( There are a LOT of RenFaire nerds online... which I kinda suspected ) to looking up history, to studying countries I'm interested in.

In this economic downturn, with many factors pressing heavily on kids shoulders and spirits ( I can't tell you how many of my friends, good hardworking kids who put in more hours at school then their parents expected or even did themselves ) they just don't have the "spark" that I had when I had my epiphany. Or, more often, they have too much pressure from all around them, and they are desperate to feel like kids while they still have a chance. So they dive into mindless fun that maybe they were too poor to have, like I was, or just to forget. As all these cycles keep turning around them, they keep seeking a way out, while in reality they are just digging deeper. They never realize that an incredible way to enrich themselves is right in their hands, just pass the distractions.

I'm sorry if this was abit long and ranting, but this is a topic I see every day/that is a big part of who I am today. If I had never gotten a computer and the Internet and learned how to use it correctly through my own realizations, I would be like many of the people I went to school with - shallow people, with no real ambitions, negatively impacting their natural world through materialistic means. I actually would have also never met lifelong friends, or my dear husband who I love more each weird adventure we go on.

Tech is your friend, but we must teach kids and parents and the entire world for that matter, how to use it in ways to make our everyday lives, off line, better.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ScarletNyx

The most pertinent post in the entire thread. Superfalous. I can't hardly even go to facebook because I know so many people being sucked away forever by it. I've posted a few status checks that chew peoples asses for wasting there lives on.... Well really Ditto to what you've posted. Great post.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

i think some of it has to do with entertainers going too far in their attempts to make their shows and movies accessible to both generations, or "work on different levels." they put all these trends and fads from the older generation in and i think it all gets a bit too convoluted. oh, and also, the illuminati.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Hello Randyvs
sorry for the late reply.. been busy with ummm.. life
yeah.. that cereal.. keepem chocked full of junk sweets..

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
The older generation always complains about how the newer generation is stupid and shallow and has no appreciation for things of value.

Complaining about young people? Congratulations! That means you're OLD!

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
This is very interesting to me.

It seems that some younger kids are doing much worse, while others are incredibly advanced for their age compared to the previous generation. I think the potential for growth exists because there is so much information available. This works well for whoever has the minds capable of taking it all in, but perhaps backfires for the duller minds.

I also think the environmental pollution is hitting people really bad whose genes can't handle the load. People who are less affected, seem to be mostly getting by without much damage. This is just natural selection taking place. Those with weaker genes will get poorer jobs, and many will be wiped out in gangs, drugs, or what have you. Those with stronger genes will place higher, socioeconomically, and pop out some kiddos to help out the species.

Isn't this how it's always been? It just seems to be taking an advanced pace over the last 30 years or so.
edit on 6-2-2012 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift
The older generation always complains about how the newer generation is stupid and shallow and has no appreciation for things of value.

Complaining about young people? Congratulations! That means you're OLD!

Im only 24, and I complain about the newer generation. Does that mean Im old?

I take your point though, but if you read through the thread, there are actually a couple people in highschool, or recently graduated who agree with "old farts like me."

So maybe its a little bit of both? Who knows....

edit on 6/2/2012 by osirys because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join