It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids seem so slow these days ! What's up with that ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Mods this is a social issue to the max. Move this thread from it's original tomb and the curse of Tutenkhamun be upon you.
Nobody believes in curses anyway so do as thou wilt.

Peeps my wifes eleven yr old boy finally learned to tie his shoes today. I can't help but compare that to myself.
I think I was like six.Don't worry I haven't been

Anyway, these youngsters today from the older ones on their cell phoines at work, to not knowing how to tie their shoes til eleven and twelve. I really need some help understanding this ATS. Is it the flouride ? Is the parents not being smart enough to show 'em how to apply any skills ? At the same time their doing stuff in school that was twice as hard as the the stuff I faced and their doing great. Most them as far as I know anyway. So ya ATS.

What's up with that ?
edit on 25-1-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Most kid's shoes these days, especially for younger kids, have velcro straps to take it easier for them. It seems to me that kids learn to tie shoes a bit later because they didn't have shoelaces when they were younger.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
i noticed boys are smaller nowadays. A friend of mine's little brother and his friend were at her house. They looked 11-12 but i later found out they're 16.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Ugh, I can't even get my niece to learn to take a shower everyday, omg, it's been a week and she refuses. I have no clue what to do, but if we force her, it becomes an officer nightmare with ranting and raving. She won't take it because she ruined the floor and ever since she ruined the floor she won't step foot in there. Surprised the school is allowing her to go to school with the way she looks. So, annoying.

Like, seriously she 16, she should know how and when to take a shower.

I think its poor parenting skill, because I'll be damned if my kid refused to take a shower. I'll get a pot of water or a hose and just dump it on her.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

they depend too much on technology, and on having everything handed to them..that they dont learn essential "real world" survival skills..

they are too busy on their cell phones texting their lives away, and on their ipads playing angry birds, to go out and get a job and learn some real life skills..

whatever happened to getting kicked out of the house when you are 18 years old? i see kids living with their parents until their late 20's sometimes even beyond that!

im afraid that the youth of today has lost its drive to better themselves as human beings, and are just too used to having everything presented to them on a silver platter without much expected in return...

3 things to blame here

1)technology

2)parents

3) society that has molded them into keeping up with the kardashians and the latest fashion trends..

also the gen X'ers are horrible at being parents

one more thing...

i dont mean to offend you...but i bet the kid that cant tie his shoes at age 11...probably knows how to play XBOX and call of duty better than anyone else...

btw im not some angry 60 year old....im 23

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Don't even get me started on this topic.
You know what the most popular phrase in our household is? ..... "I FORGOT"

The 10 year old is going on 4 years old, still loves Sponge Bob and all those dumbed down PBS cartoons. These kids can't even remember things said 7 seconds ago! I tested this theory on the 8 year old, we asked her to repeat her address (where we live), and it took her 10 minutes to remember her address literally 3 seconds after we told her what it was....

example:
"OK ready? Your address is 501 Buttonfly Lane, Eternia, New Hampshire.... ok now repeat what we just said, what's your address?"
Kid: "Uhhhhh.... Q.... uhhhhh..... twinkie..... uhhhh"

Rinse and repeat for 10-15 minutes, and she finally got it right. This is beyond frustrating to the "American" adults trying to raise kids and deal with the stresses of corporate greed and a destroyed economy.

I am calling out the vaccines and the beyond insane poisonous fluoride in everything. It's not just our kids, it's almost all of them in the tri-state area.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

You have to ENCOURAGE a child to learn. You do this by involving your child in social environments. Sit next to your child and tie your shoelaces, then give the child a shoe. Guaranteed the child will try and copy you, granted, you have to treat a child as a dignified human being if you want to be able to socialize with and teach the kid how to tie shoelaces, read, speak and all the other things they could do well with before heading to school.

You can't just put it down and expect it to want to learn. It'll just sit there with an open mouth until you feed it, then it'll take a dump and then fall asleep.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
In practical ways they are probably more inferior to the kids of previous generations, but you can bet your bottom dollar that they know more adult related stuff and are a lot less innocent than those of the past. They learn more at a younger age these days.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DanielET
they know more adult related stuff and are a lot less innocent than those of the past. They learn more at a younger age these days.

i also agree 100% with this statement...

its crazy how they seem to know all the WRONG adult things, though

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Dang, I was gonna respond with fluoride

I'm not sure why, my son is pretty sharp, he plays the piano well for a 7 year old (no Beethoven, but id rather him like to play than try to be someone he probably couldn't live up to).

I'm not really sure on this either, for maturing, it took me well into my 20's and I'm still climbing that ladder

As for intelligence, I one time when I was 8 scored a 181 in the IQ. It brought so much attention that I played dumb and its a habit (hopefully that's still it
) that is hard to break.

Now being 30, I wish I hadn't scoffed the MENSA invitation.

Oh well, what they say is true, if you don't use it, you loose it. That is basically what it boils down to.

We have set standards on belief what aught to be, and in this new fangled technology driven world, we don't really have to try anymore.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
There are an infinite number of possibilities as to why many more children go down that road...maybe its the parents genes or maybe its their poor parenting skills or just society in general, all goes back to Nature vs Nurture if you ask me.

I do agree with other posters here that say technology has been playing a big part in this dumbing down and worsening of laziness amongst youngsters. I'm only 24 yet I learned to tie my shoes dead on my 6th birthday...and my SNES could only hold my attention for so long before I got bored with often times less then "cartoon worthy" animations and went out and climbed a tree or something.

With a whole slew of not just Xbox/PS games with amazing graphics but endless online games to choose from its amazing if some of these kids even make it outside once in a day. I know many kids who are like this..kinda frightening.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Im 18 and even I sit there sometimes and wonder what's going on with everybody. Some of the things I hear come out of people's mouths makes me just go wow. It's almost comical at some points.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
It's the parent's fault. Plain and simple.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfoKartel
reply to post by randyvs

You can't just put it down and expect it to want to learn. It'll just sit there with an open mouth until you feed it, then it'll take a dump and then fall asleep.

Now that part by itself sounds like you're talking about a teenager

Your right about the right social situations. It invites curiosity.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Jibby that's a riot .

Anyway Example just today. Discipline to eleven year old. Do you think it's right ? Shakes head No. Don't talk to me with your head. Use your voice when you talk to me. Ok ! How would you feel ? Shrugs shoulders.: I just said use your voice ! Ok ! Do I talk to you that way. Shakes head no. AHHHHH!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by baalbuster

...maybe its the parents genes or maybe its their poor parenting skills or just society in general, all goes back to Nature vs Nurture if you ask me.

I use to believe in that nature vs nurture crap until I had to be a parent. There are definite genetic traits passed down, but intelligence is not one of them. I was convinced I was adopted because my parents were basically retarded in comparison to my intelligence, but it seems to have been decades of over fluoridation and aluminum toxicity in my parents' systems that did them in.

When children are brought into this world, via American hospitals, that's the beginning of the end for them. They inject them with vaccines that require them to be approx. 250lbs and have an already developed immune system to be able to handle the doses given to them. Now comes time for "formula"... doesn't that sound healthy and very non-Nazi?

This pretty much sums it up, and this is from 30 years ago! We are so screwed, lmao...
-Bill Cosby on children and Brain Damage-

edit on 25-1-2012 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bone75
It's the parent's fault. Plain and simple.

I totally agree. The parents should of been able to condition their child at an early age with routine activities. That makes it an everyday habit, but, if parent doesn't do that then child thinks they don't have to do it. Then you wonder why, they act the way they do. I tell her mom that all the time but of course it's never her fault or husbands fault. Whatever.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Kids are more annoying nowadays, whipper snappers!
edit on 25-1-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Poison in the air they breathe, poison in the water they drink, poison in the water they bathe in, poison in the food they eat, poison in the pills they take, poison in the clothing they wear and wash their clothes in, and poison in the injections they are given.

Couple that with a pathetic schooling system and 24 hour blasting of reality shows that teach them the only thing of concern in life is how to be more like the people from Jersey Shore and you've got a war for their mind you can't win.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

That was funny. Bill Cosby Rules. The child here is always stealing the soda when you place it down. HAHA, so annoying.

edit on 25-1-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join