It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids seem so slow these days ! What's up with that ?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

One thing I've realised about the children of today is social ineptness, contrast to this is their quite impressive intelligence in the faculties of science and humanities. These traits could be put down to a plethora of outside influences, ranging from: an increase of technological advancements, to dramatic social changes. Whatever the reasons for their social ineptness, or "street smarts" the solution (I believe) lies with infrequent visits to earlier times. By this I mean weekends with no technology, camping in the wilderness etc. Exposure to situations which reduce the importance of materialistic items should return a "normalcy" of sorts to "generation z".

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by davesmart
reply to post by randyvs

hi op
my daughter is 5
shes had 2 heart surgerys and a throat op
and awaiting another throat op
dont compare your wee one to others
my ex does that and it winds me up
some children are slower than others
dont compare m8
dave

Right ! Good advice Dave and I do make sure never to do that. That's why I said I can't help comparing to myself.
Should have said it is more of an observation. Would have been a better way of saying it. Good point I definetely agree.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

dont worry sir
i know how you feel
it is difficult not to compare, but it does cross your mind
all i tell myself is this
(my daughter)
shes alive and thriving well, though she does have that inability to properly integrate with other children
(bloody hell i sound like a politician trying for votes lool)
but anyway take your time and things with your child will improve Honest
its todays society that dictates how your child should be raised
i disagree
as long as the child has loving parent/s
then thats all that matters
todays society would have believe that the government have your children under wraps
modern day home schooling in a good environment teach your children more than school does
this is only my point of view for i have seen a hell of a lot
i could say more but il say this for closing
its your child no one elses
good luck sir

dave

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
www.politico.com...

State of the Union registers at 8th grade reading level

President Obama's 2012 State of the Union address again rated at an 8th grade comprehension level on the Flesch-Kincaid readability test — the third lowest score of any State of the Union address since 1934.

www.politico.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
Don't even get me started on this topic.
You know what the most popular phrase in our household is? ..... "I FORGOT"

The 10 year old is going on 4 years old, still loves Sponge Bob and all those dumbed down PBS cartoons. These kids can't even remember things said 7 seconds ago! I tested this theory on the 8 year old, we asked her to repeat her address (where we live), and it took her 10 minutes to remember her address literally 3 seconds after we told her what it was....

example:
"OK ready? Your address is 501 Buttonfly Lane, Eternia, New Hampshire.... ok now repeat what we just said, what's your address?"
Kid: "Uhhhhh.... Q.... uhhhhh..... twinkie..... uhhhh"

Rinse and repeat for 10-15 minutes, and she finally got it right. This is beyond frustrating to the "American" adults trying to raise kids and deal with the stresses of corporate greed and a destroyed economy.

I am calling out the vaccines and the beyond insane poisonous fluoride in everything. It's not just our kids, it's almost all of them in the tri-state area.

hi sir
nail on the head in my thinking
because my daughter has been il,and had many drugs pumped into her
i researched for days n days and im sure one of the drugs she was on
contributed to her hyper activity and short concentration span...
medicinal drugs in my thinking have fixed her heart...but with drawbacks
cant proove it, but eventualy i will

dave

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bone75
It's the parent's fault. Plain and simple.

once upon a time i would agree with you
but now...no
wen your child starts school, everything is different
they conform to their ways
bloody helll not long ago i heard the foreign neighbour kids singing
BAAHH BAAH WHITE SHEEP
i swear it

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

Now that's some great diversity in posting. I like it.
Just never know what some one will turn up on this site.

Excellent.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Around here to many parents just do not care.
My daughter is very smart. You teach her something , it sticks.

In her class , including her, there are only THREE people passing!! Her teacher said it is amazing my daughter still learns because she has to go back and teach all the other kids stuff they should have learned grades ago.

The kids EVER turn in homework and have to write 500 sentences and no recess . They do not care, they do the sentences, the do detention and stay after school, rather than do their homework. The parents do not care.
Now where I live , we have a lot of illegals. Some of these kids can hardly speak English, but most do. The parents, just do NOT care.

I have to supplement my daughters education so she learns something.

Now she is very smart, but she is VERY lazy. I have a hard time getting her to do ANYTHING . She is always looking for the lazy way out of something. Grounding, spanking , taking away ipod forever even , has NOT worked.
It is like she forgets. While she is so smart at academics, common sense does not seem to prevail.
One day we were at Church, I told her to meet me at the front door when she got out of children's church.
Well the service where I was took a bit longer. I walk out to see her standing outside crying. I ask why is she crying? She said she though I left her. I told her, look in front of you, what do you see? Right in FRONT of her was our car. I said did it not dawn on you that our car is rite in front of you ? How could I leave?
( she is 11)

So common sense I see missing a lot, and not just in her but a lot of kids.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by mnmcandiez
www.politico.com...

State of the Union registers at 8th grade reading level

President Obama's 2012 State of the Union address again rated at an 8th grade comprehension level on the Flesch-Kincaid readability test — the third lowest score of any State of the Union address since 1934.

www.politico.com...

WOW
i cant believe this...well i do, but bloody hell,
standards have gone down the tube in the last 20 yrs
what the hell are we supposed to believe in anymore...
(i robot)
that is the right question...

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
My son when he was 4 didn;t seem to be affected but that was back in 1989.. I remember hollering at him to pick up his room and he would make elaborate excuses not to do it.. He would say very serious faced "I don't think I should, because I'm sick"

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

Originally posted by Bone75

Originally posted by Manhater

I figured I would save myself the trouble and the headache, by not having one.

You'll never truly understand unconditional love until you have at least one.

Those are some of the wisest words I've read on ATS. Hold on I have to get the belt out again. You damn kids !

Oh hell did I write that out loud ?

edit on 25-1-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

Funny, they sound like some of the most ignorant and condescending words I've heard.

To-may-to,
To-mah-to,
I suppose.

Poor sterile women will never be complete. A%$hat.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Unfortunately I think most kids in this society are slower (at analytical things, i.e. requiring a lot of thought) not because of birth defects but due to as one poster stated having everything done for them via technology. Their attention span is all of 11 seconds and the only thing that can hold it longer is vivid flashing colors (lights) as in videos games, exploding movies, and chaotic videos. The education being stuffed down their throats is all useless and contributes to their state of stupor, so what I'm saying is these kids were intentionally created whether their parents know this or not. Oh and commonsense is nonexistent for most of these kids.
edit on 26-1-2012 by Chai_An because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by k1k1to
reply to post by randyvs

they depend too much on technology, and on having everything handed to them..that they dont learn essential "real world" survival skills..

they are too busy on their cell phones texting their lives away, and on their ipads playing angry birds, to go out and get a job and learn some real life skills..

whatever happened to getting kicked out of the house when you are 18 years old? i see kids living with their parents until their late 20's sometimes even beyond that!

im afraid that the youth of today has lost its drive to better themselves as human beings, and are just too used to having everything presented to them on a silver platter without much expected in return...

3 things to blame here

1)technology

2)parents

3) society that has molded them into keeping up with the kardashians and the latest fashion trends..

also the gen X'ers are horrible at being parents

one more thing...

i dont mean to offend you...but i bet the kid that cant tie his shoes at age 11...probably knows how to play XBOX and call of duty better than anyone else...

btw im not some angry 60 year old....im 23

I agree with you on this all expect number 2 the Parents ,should be replace with goverment let me explain
sence the gov has gotten involed on the way we raised our kids, say for a intense your child does something wrong you dis approved you would disaplain them spanking, lock in ur room etc etc do that these days you are going to jail ,or dys is all in ur buisness. it happen to me not dys or jail!!!! i told my child to get the hell out he / she call the cops ,the cops told me the only way i can kick them out was to go to court and have them.. invicted wtf thats the law sir sense when about 6 years ago!!!!!!!! omg wtf

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I agree on all the points made that the kiddies today are dumbed down technofreaks. However, we as a society have MADE them that way. I'm only 32 yo and when I grew up, my neighborhood was FILLED with kids out in the streets riding their bikes, building forts, playing football at the park, getting in 'trouble" (in the ways kids got in trouble back then - think throwing rocks, testing physics etc.). Now a days, every neighborhood in my city of roughly 500K people is a ghost town. WHERE ARE THE KIDS?
The malls are empty, the parks are empty, I never see a kid riding a bike. Are they all inside their homes immersed in the techno world? I know most parents are afraid of pedophiles and kidnappers. My parents and all my friends parents were! That didn't stop us from roaming the neighborhood. Has the native populations reproduction rate (white middle class families) dropped so dramatically in a decade that there aren't that many kids?

I can't believe how much our society has changed in a decade. It's staggering.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical
Kids today just have different skills. I bet if you put a pack of them together and sent them out to the wild they would fare better than a similar pack of kids 50 years earlier. There is significantly more general knowledge in their heads than kids had 50 years ago.

Are you kidding? The only kids that would fare well are those raised out in the country who don't have all those gadgets and a lot of lazy time. Gathering kids from a neighborhood and sending them out in the wild would be an immediate death sentence cause all they know are junk food, Ipods, Playstations, and cellphones.Most of these kids have nothing in their heads, sad but true.
edit on 26-1-2012 by Chai_An because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

That's what I'm say'in almost exactly. It's almost as if their thinking that if they don't put up fight right now. They'll
be doing hard labor the rest of their lives. Tell 'em to clean up the living room and they clean only their mess. I thought I said clean up the living room. " I did clean up what was mine." I didn't say clean up your mess, I said clean up the livingroom. Pitches a fit, " Why should I have to clean Harleys mess up ? " Because he's your friend,
he isn't here and I told you to clean this mess up ! The heavy foot draging and dramatics that follow are really quite comical.
edit on 26-1-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Hey my youngest is 9 years old, he plays out in the dirt his favourite game is making guns out of sticks, he has electronic devices but he also has a space hopper and roller blades, and a bike. He rides to school everyday on his own (no roads to cross before someone starts shouting) and he is perfectly fine. we go to the park and the outdoor pool in the summer.but he also loves playing computer games and his ds, yes i do have problems getting him to tidy his room( he can be very lazy)
With the right discipline all kids do as they are told, a good friend of mine taught me this and im so appreciative, i have a well adjusted child who is bright with an imagination, and im very thankful for it.

Thanks to a wonderful friend.
(being a single parent is hard they taught me you need to step back and look again it works)
edit on 26-1-2012 by imnothereru because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I have a 2.5yr old boy and he is doing very well. He has been talking since 1 (he won't shut up
). He knows many colours, animals and can count to 20. On the flip side, my friend has a son that is 2 months younger and he does not speak at all.

Kids that young progress at different levels but my wife is an Early Childhood Educator so that may help with the teaching of our son.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by chasingbrahman

Funny, they sound like some of the most ignorant and condescending words I've heard.

Seriously? If those are some of the most ignorant and condescending words you've ever heard, then obviously you haven't spent much time reading on this site.

Poor sterile women will never be complete. A%$hat.

Two questions...
1. Are you a sterile woman? If so, then I apologize for offending you.
2. Do you have any kids?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
If we take the time to get these kids out of the house, to go camping, or even to the park, or hell even a walk in the evening, the changes are immediate and profound. My son who is content to play with his ipod all day at home, will all of a sudden be a dirt digging, stick waving rock climbing tornado of a boy.

We were having a hard time getting to him to read actual books, I can understand that, there isn't anything "cool" about books nowadays, but low and behold I let him use my nook, and he will read away. Little does he know I have tricked him LOL.

I asked him to clean the toilet the other day, because I am not the one who pees all over it, so why should I have to clean it. He spent 45 minutes laying on the bathroom floor moaning about how gross it was, then another half hour moaning because I expected him to clean the entire thing, not just the side that faced the door.

Many parents would have gotten angry and given up, but I managed to stay calm and insist he did it properly, so much like a two year old screaming for candy, his antics did not work, the toilet got clean, and he will hopefully do it without nearly as much fuss next time. When he was done he got a simple thank you, good job, now please take the trash bag to the curb.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join