It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids seem so slow these days ! What's up with that ?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Some kids are slow some are smart. I learned how to walk and talk around 8 months, and curse at 2y.
However I didn't learn how to tie my shoes till I was 9 or ten I think. It was because I wore those strap on shoes with the Velcro. Maybe the kid went through the same thing, never really need to know how to tie his shoes in till he got the big boy ones.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by gluetrap

OMG, I so know, I always have to get on my niece's case about that, shutting the door, flushing toilet and shutting off the light. Every time she goes. This child won't even wipe herself. It's like, did she not learn this growing up? Is this how your mom and dad go to the bathroom? OMG. So, nasty. I'm Sorry, but any child at 16 should know how to do this already.
edit on 26-1-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

OMG, I so know, I always have to get on my niece's case about that, shutting the door, flushing toilet and shutting off the light. Every time she goes. This child won't even wipe herself. It's like, did she not learn this growing up? Is this how your mom and dad go to the bathroom? OMG. So, nasty. I'm Sorry, but any child at 16 should know how to do this already.

Whaaaat, 16 goodness she's darn near an adult. If she's that old and she's not doing what most kids learn during potty training one can get the picture she was allowed to raise herself.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I can't help but mentally compare the differences between my 2 children.
My oldest had terrible vaccine reactions. Plus he was my first, so I'm sure I screwed up royally during the first few months of his life.
He is 8. Can't tie his shoes, has a terrible time reading and writing. Forgets pretty much everything I tell him. Has ridiculous health issues with no apparent cause (diet seems to be a main contributor) But is a math whiz and can figure out electronics faster than I can.
My 5 year old... literally scares me because he is so smart. I have NEVER had to repeat myself with him. I do not have to tell him to brush his teeth and get ready for bed. At 7:30 he starts doing it on his own. He wakes up and gets dressed and then waits for me to make breakfast. Goes and brushes his teeth and gets his things ready. AT FIVE years old. Academically he is a year and a half ahead. While my 8 year old is about a year behind. Makes for an interesting dynamic in the household.
Odd thing is, my 5 year old has the worst self esteem and calls himself dumb all the time. My 8 year old is blissfully ignorant to the world and very confident.

My oldest is in boy scouts and it makes me feel better about our situation/worse about what the world is going to be like in 10-15 years. It is a room full of insane boys who can't read or write or memorize anything!
edit on 26-1-2012 by PassedKarma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

It sounds like she has some other issues going on, that is not normal for a 16 year old girl, no matter how society is today. I might be off the mark here, but just based on your few short posts, I would be concerned.

My boy can be gross, but he is an almost 11 year old boy, they are kind of supposed to be gross.

He is also really bright, but can be a total space case. Clumsy at certain things, like not being able to do anything involving a bike, but he is great on a skateboard, and can roller skate and ride a razor.

His written spelling is horrid, but he can talk and converse and use very big words with absolutely no problem, it can be hard sometimes to remember he is only 10.

He just got an ipod touch, and can now text. He loves to text my husband and I and we have a policy of ignoring any text that is written in txt speak or with horrible spelling and grammar. He has to at least put some effort in to get a response. I ignored his text telling me his "fates smillid lak bakkon" And when I told him why, he texted me and said "Mom, thats not logical!"

Maybe we just dont expect enough out of these kids, or maybe we expect all the wrong things.

edit on 26-1-2012 by gluetrap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Chai_An

Yep, part of it is due to her mental stability and part of it is because of her parents. She has a competency exam today. Can't wait to see how that goes.

Hmm, hasn't showered in a week, so probably stinks like a cow.
Refuses to go to school.
Talks like she's in her SIMS world.

And this is the place that told her that she's fine and she's just being a rebel teen. But, they could help with her mother's mental problems. Ought be interesting.

The is kid psychotic, bi-polar and schizophrenic.IMO

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Blame the parents for drug use, blame the government for fluoride poisoning in the water, blame the educational system for not teaching advanced subjects, ect...ect...ect.

I have noticed how slow these kids of today are. I do not know who to blame to tell you the truth. I am not a psychologist and head-shrinking is not my forte. I just thank God that I was raised healthy and head-strong.
Who knows what is going on with the mental development of today's children.

There is a lot of activity going on in the RF spectrum that wasn't happening 40, 50 or 60 years ago. Maybe the busy airwaves are interfering with their development somehow. I wouldn't doubt it!

The human brain(grey matter) is nothing more than a gelatinous mass comprised mostly of water and is extremely sensitive to EMI/RFI. You have everything from cellular communications to HAARP going on full blast now, and who is conducting the studies of how this is all affecting us?

I feel for them actually. Their brains are being conditioned before they even come into the world.

sad!

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Nothing I can say or anyone else says will make parenting easier.

It's tough. Not everyone has the endurance.

I respect that. Don't let it overwhelm you. You need time outs to keep your sanity.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Sounds like a case of narcissism that everyone is lesser then you are.

No wonder no one wants to talk to you.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Well honestly many teenagers can be seen as psychotic and bi-polar just due to the fact that they are a teenager. Their brains and bodies are going through a seriously rough and chaotic time. But without the proper foundation of love and support and being taught how to live in the world in a productive way that teenage brain can really lead to some serious disorders and dysfunction.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
When I was in grade school I was taken out of normal classes and put into advance learning due to me finishing the full year's course-work ahead of the class. So I was taken out of school and given a battery of IQ tests. Turned out I was MENSA material at the age of 7 1/2 and joined them at the age of 8.

People grow differently in different areas this has always been known throughout time. People freak out when I say that I can sense HAARP when it is beaming close or in the vicinity. Once again the human brain is a marvel and who knows what affects its growth or operation. We are slowly but steadily discovering the cause/effects relationships pertaining to its sensitivity and capabilities.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

There's no doubt that she doesn't have the love there. I know her mom loves her, or she wouldn't have given up her king bed and master bedroom for her. lol Tell you one thing, my kid will never kick me out of my own bedroom. Mom sleeps in a twin bed and smaller bedroom.
So, I know her mom will do anything for her.

But her parenting skills, she needs to learn to take charge, or this kid is just going to keep walking all over her. Child gets upset with me and takes it out on her mother because, I'm strict and stern, and I won't put up with manipulative garbage.

She stays grounded and in her room for the whole day, if she don't want to do nothing. Fine do nothing. Go to your room though and do whatever, but you're not getting luxuries until you do something.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

I say no matter how low you have to sink. Find whatever works for you and yours. If I were ever lucky enough for a person to ask me. How did you manage to raise such fine human beings ? And I had to answer I was very devious.
I don't see how the answer could take anything away from the question.

I love kids.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I personally do not believe in medicating a child's mind. These kids of today are on everything from Ritalin to Valium and that in itself affects the growth and development of a child's physiological brain functions.

These doctors now-a-days are so quick to whip out the Rx pad for these babies now and prescribe them heavy mind altering medication it is truly amazing...and not just one medication but several upon several more!

WTF???

Then they become state cases by the age of 13 and from there unwanted, under-achieving, society labeled throwaways. I see them everyday.

Wow!

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by PassedKarma

We quit scouts for the same reason, it was a chaotic joke. So now my husband takes him and his cousins out to the woods and teaches them useful stuff like how to build a fire, and to go downhill or follow a stream until you get to a road etc etc...

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I think the absolute best thing a man could ever hope to be in this world, is a good family man.

Kevin Costner " A Perfect World "

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I'm going to have to agree with most of you in this thread.

It seems to come down to a general laziness, which I believe is due to , in part, their constant imersion in media, and the instant gratification that it brings. If something in their world does not bring instant gratification, they are flat out not interested, and immediately deem it "boring".

I hate that word. I tell my kid that only boring people are bored.

I don't see any developmental problems with my son (9 y.o.). However, he is mouthy and disrespectful at times. I attribute this to the media that is floating around in his head, because when we cuddle and watch cartoons before bedtime, which is one of our bonding rituals, the characters all sound mouthy and disrespectful. Wonder where he got it from. Probably my fault for letting him watch t.v., but I do counter it with discipline if warranted. Yes, this may include getting his ass spanked. I'm kinda old school that way I guess.

I have to limit media privledges to get him to ride a bike or play outside. He would rather sit in front of a DSI or XBOX than sweat or get dirty. What does this tell you about the effects of media exposure on children? I liken it to like an experiment I read about concerning lab rats, coc aine, and choosing between the coc aine, or caring for their young.

Either way, he reminds me a lot of myself at that age, so no complaints, right?

My advice if I had to write a (short) handbook:

-Limit video entertainment.
-Read to your child.
-Be available for them emotionally and physically.
-Set proper boundaries with regards to respect / appropriate behavior.
-Enforce discipline.
-Lots of love and positive attention.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Not sure if this has been said but children's cartoons are just awful, none of them have any real plot and its just nonsense. I understand its a cartoon...I cant say that I didnt use to enjoy a good Thundercats episode..but atleast it made me want to go outside and have my own adventure afterwards. these programs are turning kids into zombies...and all they do is just stare at the tv..as if theyre compelled to, its creepy.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
You can't enforce discipline like back in my days in fear of CPS coming to get you. I got my ass WHOOPED with anything around that was handy. You can't put that into play anymore and if you try you will end up right in jail.

You can't beat good ole fashion pain as a remedy for getting out of line. Maybe there is a connection within the human brain that proper discipline via the ass or buttocks being spanked that opens or expands the psyche for future growth and development.

Maybe TPTB knows this and to wreck most homes through disorder they stopped parents from being able to corporeally punish children knowing that this will stop critical brain development and further aid them in their goal.

We are after all primal beings. This would explain a lot since the government has outlawed physical punishment as a means for proper pediatric discipline.

I know it is a long shot but there might be some merit there.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I blame parents, pure and simple.

I am a parent, before you go pointing your crooked finger at me.

If you are unwilling to sit with your child, play with your child, teach your child, and live with your child, you are doing a disservice to that child.

XBOX, PS3, PC, DS, Wii (does anyone play that anymore?) should be rewards for time well spent, not time killers.

Now I admit, I've used recorded Sesame Street's to entertain my boy while I was doing something else, but a majority of the time, I'm sitting right there with him watching. (Quiz me on Elmo's World...I DARE YOU!!!)

My generation and the ones after are generally selfish in addition to having priorities messed up. Getting your kid on traveling soccer teams is not as important as having them be able to talk (LIKE A HUMAN) with adults.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join