It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giraffes gunned down for family holiday 'fun'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
To call that hunting is laughable. These idiots drive around and look up when they see a tall neck and head they drive towards it. The giraffe calmly turns it head towards them chewing its leaves quietly and slowly and then turns back to its meal and boom. Real challenging hunt there. What a joke. Many folks around my parts hunt deer and moose. At least the deer and moose have a fighting chance in the thick swampy forest and brush. It takes patience and awareness and a good measure of luck to catch one of these beasts off guard. Giraffes were never meant to slaughtered this way. So disrespectful. Shoot them with a telephoto lense not a 30.06 rifle.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Sport shooting anything is atrocious and repugnant. It's one thing to hunt for the purpose of stocking the freezer and I'll be the first one to enjoy some good venison or turkey. I also view the killing part to be the worst part of the process, not the best. There is nothing sporting about killing a creature unable to hunt me back..and only a few animals can. None are generally taken for meat. Anything else is an ugly thing to do as a necessary means to the end of having a couple months of clean food.

This family ought to have their trophy seized and their any hunting privileges in the future cut off. I can't even begin to imagine what kind of thrill shooting one of those gentle giants can bring which justifies such a trip and cost. It's about as pathetic as the Americans here who'll pay an obscene amount to "hunt" buffalo. Yeah... hunt.. uh-huh.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Call me a cynic, and I imagine such things do happen, but keep in mind this is the sun we are talking about.Not to say that this story is not true, just keep in mind the sun's reputation for often inaccurate reporting.

Potential for inaccuracies exaggerations etc etc...

For what that is worth. Back on topic.

I am not really bothered by the idea of giraffe hunting. People are calling it unfair,but we have people who climb into a tree stand and wait for a deer to walk by and have the nerve to call that hunting as well.

I mean, I would never take part in hunting for sport, but lots of people do. I think it's a waste and that hunting should only be done for the purpose of getting food to eat, but that is just me and who am I to impose my opinions and beliefs on everyone else?

But then again, it's late so maybe I am just too tired to be upset.
edit on 17-1-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrinceDreamer
I am not saying the meat was wasted, I am sure it wasn't, but I am also fairly sure that family didn't go to South Africa to kill that Giraffe so it would feed the local villagers either. They killed it for fun and that is a different situation and morally different to someone who hunts for food.

So...how do you know this? Were you with them? Do you know them? People here always jump to conclusions and it's always the most negative stuff.
"Oooooh they killed a 'cute' animal....these bastards, i bet they didn't even eat it"

One should never judge other people if they don't know them. It would be the same as me saying "Oh, i'm fairly sure PrinceDreamer is a retard"

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by FeatheredSerpent

you even seen a giraffe stomp on some other animal? gentle i dont think so
imagine you are laying down hidden amongst the grass all of a sudden he pops his head out from behind the trees...
BAM! you zone in and take that giraffe out with a sniper rifle,,, the ending aint pretty but boy it would be fun.
it aint right ,but neither is breeding animals so we can kill them cos we prefer the taste.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
"Some of these giraffe populations number only a few hundred individuals and need immediate protection," said the study's lead author, geneticist David Brown of the U.S.-based Wildlife Conservation Society.

"Lumping all giraffes into one species obscures the reality that some kinds of giraffe are on the very brink."

"But all giraffes -- which can grow up to 19ft tall and weigh 4,400lbs (2,000kg) -- were under threat, Brown said in a statement late on Friday, citing an estimated 30 percent drop in numbers over the past decade."

uk.reuters.com...

I'm all for hunting, as long as you're hunting not just for fun, but you're going to eat what you hunt too.
Its one thing to hunt deer and pigs, and another to hunt endangered species.
Like the article says, not all giraffes are endangered. But they are all declining in numbers.
As long as there is money to be made, we'll keep losing species year by year. Its guts me.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
i never liked hunting for sport. hunt to mount horns on your car, or deer head on your wall is foolish.

i do believe in hunting for food. if you eat what you kill and only kill what you need, i'm ok with it.

-subfab

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet
You couldn't "hunt" your way out of a wet paper bag.

Talk about being butt-hurt.

Anyways, I'm all for hunting. But that doesn't mean I do it 'just for fun'. What I kill, I use. Granted, it's been a looong time since I've last been hunting, and I prefer something a little more harder to kill then some lazy animal eating from a tree. So I can't really agree that this is a 'sport'. I think it's more or less people who have become too comfortable with life who needs to seek out something to kill to get out of the monotonous grind of suburbia.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilentE
Inhumane acts like this are becoming more and more frequent.

Not a good sign.

Wtf is wrong with humanity!?

I'd like to 'hunt' this family. My walls could do with some decorations.

It's self terminating, this time around the Planet may take a little longer to recover once mankind annihilates itself.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
There are hunters who hunt to feed themselves and their family (which I do) and there are murderers who just like to kill things.

I could never fathom making a long journey to go kill any safari animal and I find the trophy rooms full of safari mounts entirely repulsive.

I can understand natives of the area hunting and eating them, but people that go there just to kill an animal and feed it to the local natives are just killers trying to excite themselves.

But then I have to ask if they would feel the same way about us killing our local wildlife to eat?

I don't like sport/trophy hunting, it is a disrespect to the animal and it makes the creator unhappy as we are taught to respect all living things.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by
mazzroth.

It's self terminating, this time around the Planet may take a little longer to recover once mankind annihilates itself.

I just hope mankind doesn't annihilate itself by destroying Earth though...

edit on 17-1-2012 by SilentE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I was taught two very simple rules about hunting when growing up:

1: NEVER point a gun at something you don't intend to shoot.

2: If you shoot it, YOU ARE DAMN WELL GONNA EAT IT.

While I have no problem with sustenance hunting where necessary sport hunting is way off the cards. And taking your children? How ghastly!

"Look son, a majestic Giraffe, the tallest creature on Earth." From the distance, "BLAM!" Hunter emerges to see father and son in a state of disbelief and says, "You saw that right, it was coming straight for us!"
edit on 17-1-2012 by PW229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

So, did you enjoy your last hunting trip in Africa? How many animals did you kill? And eat?
Seems to me you are arguing from the viewpoint of the guilty!
I was born in Africa and have lived in Africa my entire life and a Giraffe is one of the most gentle creatures you could hope to encounter!
Kill the wildlife in your own country/continent!

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I am a hunter myself. I have no problems with hunting an animal that you plan to eat as the brush tribes spoken of above do. To them it is a means for survival I can understand this. Trophy hunting eh I dont know about that i just dont see these animals as a trophy. To me, an this is just my personal oponion the only animals tht can be considered a trophy is something that you had to track and stalk and worrie about coming and hunting you. You dont have to do any of this with a giraffe. All you do is drive out with someone who knows where they are pick one aim and fire. Where is the honor in that? You are doing NOTHING this cant even be considered hunting its just killing bottom line. Those that are killing these animals just to take a picture of them are cowards with no regard for nature. If they want a real trophy they should go for wild boar or lion, something that is an actual challenge. Even as a hunter I find this a disgrace.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I have read Teddy Roosevelt's book that he wrote about his safari in Africa to collect specimens for the American Museum of Natural History.

Most of the giraffe that they encountered proved to be difficult quarry, and they were hunting from horseback.

He also said that there was never a bit of meat wasted, as whole tribes would follow the safari at a distance, taking whatever they could, especially the bones, which they cracked open to get the marrow. Some of the marrow was eaten, but the natives would also render the fat from it to use for cooking oil. Most African game animals have very little fat on their bodies.

Any meat that they couldn't eat in a short time was made into 'biltong' by drying strips of meat over a smoky fire, as in unsalted jerky.

Most African 'bushmeat' tends to be smaller animals like rodents and monkeys, some species are being over-harvested to the point of near extinction.
edit on 17-1-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

And that relates to this thread exactly how?

I don't see your point at all!

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by wiser3
reply to post by butcherguy

And that relates to this thread exactly how?

I don't see your point at all!
Some posters seem to believe that the meat was wasted.

African bushmeat has been mentioned. Bushmeat is killing off species more quickly than big game hunting, which is regulated and raises conservation money.

I was hoping to add to the understanding of what it is like in the bush, versus what supermarket 'hunters' eating their factory farmed meat think and feel about their 'real world'.

ETA: some poster also mentioned how easy it is to kill a giraffe. Try driving up to one in a motor vehicle, when you are not in a game park, in the bush. That was my point with them being difficult quarry, even when hunting from horseback. Giraffes have a keen sense of smell and good eyesight, plus a pretty good view from atop that long neck.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't specific enough for you to see how it relates to a thread that involves killing a giraffe.
edit on 17-1-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Sport? is that what they call this now? Sitting on you Jeep and sniping a feeding Giraffe? Wow that was some challenge for you.

Wasn't actual sport hunting requires stealth, camping, understanding animal behaviour and actually work for it.

Oh, and all those that is saying that the meat didn't go to waste.. does that make this OK?.. so according to this logic, we can kill another human, take his money, wife, kids, house... i mean, its OK right? since whoever is taking those things will be happy and they wont go to waste.
edit on 1/17/2012 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
It is interesting to me that so many people here fixate on the "motive" of the hunting. If the meat was eaten, and the animal's suffering was as brief as possible, what was the difference?

If a tribal hunter was proud of the meat he provided the village, would that make him an evil bastard? What about if he hung the skull over the doorway to his hut, but still gave the meat to his village? Would that make him evil?

What if he wasn't a local? What if he was one of "us," while donating the meat and displaying his trophy?

Would it now be wrong because anything "we" do is automatically anti-life and heartless?

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I could give a s#it if the animal was eaten afterwards or not. Did they need to kill it? Was it a matter of survival? Of course not! The disgraceful people travelled all the way to Africa in order to kill a Giraffe purely for their enjoyment. It's their intent that makes them more of an animal, deserving of punishment -- more than that Giraffe -- and they'll pay for it in this life or the next. No escaping Karma.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join