It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giraffes gunned down for family holiday 'fun'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Opened up my paper this morning and came across this-

A FAMILY poses for a happy holiday snap - standing proudly beside the giraffe they have just shot dead for sport. Tourists like these are paying tens of thousands of pounds to legally hunt giraffe, the elegant, gentle giants of the animal kingdom. Many take the animals' heads home as a sick trophy of their African "adventure".

Link-www.thesun.co.uk...

They call shooting these gentle giants hunting?disgraceful!and then they pose for pictures with the dead animal

Ive handfed these with my children at the local zoo,will be an experience i will never forget.

Regards to all
edit on 30/09/10 by FeatheredSerpent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by FeatheredSerpent

morbid, I'm not sure what the sport is to be honest.
Something has gone quite wrong with the human mind.

-GM

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
I heard giraffes taste like horse and make great "jerky".

Even if the "hunters" didn't partake in the eating of the animal, I'm sure a hungry tribe of Africans had a feast.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Inhumane acts like this are becoming more and more frequent.

Not a good sign.

Wtf is wrong with humanity!?

I'd like to 'hunt' this family. My walls could do with some decorations.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I recall being out with the ranger the one morning, she was trying to have a look at the baby giraffe, and we tried running after them
we kept up for long enough for her to ascertain it's sex, and that's when they started trotting!

Beautiful animals, graceful and calm, you cannot run through the veld as fast as they amble along ...

But you know, humans have to destroy everything to prove their own perceived competance.

We lost over 400 rhino last year, and already the count is rising for this year so far.

So sad

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by FeatheredSerpent
Opened up my paper this morning and came across this-

A FAMILY poses for a happy holiday snap - standing proudly beside the giraffe they have just shot dead for sport. Tourists like these are paying tens of thousands of pounds to legally hunt giraffe, the elegant, gentle giants of the animal kingdom. Many take the animals' heads home as a sick trophy of their African "adventure".

Link-www.thesun.co.uk...

They call shooting these gentle giants hunting?disgraceful!and then they pose for pictures with the dead animal

Ive handfed these with my children at the local zoo,will be an experience i will never forget.

Regards to all

Seems like you are imposing your feelings and experiences on a wild animal.

You may not hunt them, but obviously some people do.

You fed "food" to a trained animal at zoo, that in its self I consider to be an atrocity as I do not believe such a beautiful creature belongs behind bars for your amusement.

So the question comes down to:

1. Is killing a free range animal for food/trophy as I am sure the meat didn't go to waste, either the hunter took it or the natives did.

2. Or feeding an animal food kept behind bars for your amusement?

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Same as shooting any other animal for "sport."

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   
A prime example of not having their priorities straight:

Rhino and other animals have been saved through conservation and the most money for conservation is generated from hunting."

I've heard that some will pay up to $100,000 to hunt humans. Maybe that's what should happen to these hunters. Put them in the scope of a rifle.

That will generate enough to help protect the innocent and helpless animals and rid the World of scum like these "Humans."

edit on 17-1-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking

I just love when people say this as if they are not an animal themselves.

If you are not a Vegan your above verbal diarrhea is null and void!

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
First off let me state I am completely against the hunting of these beautiful creatures, but hunting brings up some moral questions overall.

There is two types of hunting going on with these types of creatures (Actually 3 if you take commercial poaching into account) The first type of hunting is the natural hunting from locals, who are hunting for "Bush meat" as it get termed over here, they hunt to feed their families and a Giraffe will feed a lot of people for a long time. Then there is commercial hunting which is what is reported here in this newspaper article (I use the word newspaper in the very loosest sense of the word, this is a Murdoch tabloid after all)

The commercial hunting is morally the sickest, how anyone could want to kill these beautiful creatures and what sort of ego kick they get from it is beyond me completely, yet the commercial hunting brings with it the a managed population, because people are making good money from it they protect their income and manage the stocks of the Giraffe well, ensuring their survival in that area.

The natural hunting, while morally more acceptable, people trying to feed their families rather than trophy killing is to e personally is at least understandable, I wouldn't kill a Giraffe but then again my family is not starving, but it is unregulated and no one is managing the stocks and they are dying out and becoming extinct in some area's

Which is worse? Morally the trophy hunting, but from the stand point of survival of the species, the commercial hunting will save them (The Giraffes) and if no commercial interests then they will soon become an endangered species

Its a sad world where we need sick bastards hunting defenceless animals to save them

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
A prime example of not having their priorities straight:

Rhino and other animals have been saved through conservation and the most money for conservation is generated from hunting."

I've heard that some will pay up to $100,000 to hunt humans. Maybe that's what should happen to these hunters. Put them in the scope of a rifle.

That will generate enough to help protect the innocent and helpless animals and rid the World of scum like these "Humans."

edit on 17-1-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

Humans do hunt humans.

For much less than 100,000.00 even. Often they will rob you of your wallet that has just a few dollars in it. You might even get luck and they don't kill you and your friend that is with you...

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet
2. Or feeding an animal food kept behind bars for your amusement?

I never understood Zoos and i think they are way more disgusting than hunting. You export animals to countries, far away from their native place, put them behind bars in small and mostly filthy cells, so a bunch of stupid kids can lookt, shout and point at them

I've been on a hunting trip once in Kenia with some friends and it was a great, awesome experience. It was exciting and of course we ate the animals. I don't see anything wrong with this. Hunting animals and eating them or using them for whatever is perfectly natural.

And i also don't see any problem with making fotos as a reminder of a great experience.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
I heard giraffes taste like horse and make great "jerky".

And we are in a Jerky shortage, so this make sense!

wait, no?

Even if the "hunters" didn't partake in the eating of the animal, I'm sure a hungry tribe of Africans had a feast.

Bah humbug. They can survive without morons slaughtering animals for 'sport'...

God humanity at times, makes me ill... Not for need, not for survival, but paid for, for fun.

pathetic.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
i think I replied to the wrong person, and cannot find it.

redacted.

edit on 17-1-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   

One doesn't have to be a vegan to understand that killing an animal for "sport", i.e. killing for no other reason than to enjoy killing is wrong, someone hunting for food is one thing, killing for killing sake is another and the two should not be confused

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   

if thats how they treat animals id hate to see how they treat their kids. just as bad.
edit on 17-1-2012 by LonelyGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrinceDreamer

One doesn't have to be a vegan to understand that killing an animal for "sport", i.e. killing for no other reason than to enjoy killing is wrong, someone hunting for food is one thing, killing for killing sake is another and the two should not be confused

Do really think that the meat from this hunt went to waste? From what I understood of the story there where people waiting for that meat. Yes the hunt was for sport but it was not a waste.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by LonelyGuy

if thats how they treat animals id hate to see how they treat their kids. just as bad.
edit on 17-1-2012 by LonelyGuy because: (no reason given)

Apple There is some one I would like you to meet, Her name is orange.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

I am not saying the meat was wasted, I am sure it wasn't, but I am also fairly sure that family didn't go to South Africa to kill that Giraffe so it would feed the local villagers either. They killed it for fun and that is a different situation and morally different to someone who hunts for food.

If for example you went out and shot a deer, took it home and used the meat, I have no issue with that, after all it is a natural occurrence in life, animals hunt other animals, however if yo went out killing the same deer and just left it to rot where ever it lay, just for the "thrill" of killing, I would say you were a dick, however I think you would fall in to the first category and use the meat. This animal was shot for the jolly of some [snip]head who wanted to brag how he stalked a Giraffe sorry but its lame to me
edit on 17-1-2012 by Asktheanimals because: offensive language removed

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join