It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Open challenge to christians....

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by SwissMarked

Nope... you should have got it... and obviously I'm not intelligent enough to get what point you were trying to make that I "proved" for you... so if you don't mind expanding that'd be great... thanks in advance...

You posted a smart^ss reply to the OP which is entitled "Open challenge to Christians." By doing so, you imply that you are a Christian. You did not state you were a Gnostic. You then stated that once you have performed this miraculous feat anyone who challenged or questioned it would be "smote" by a faithful follower.

My choice of style and vocabulary are not your business, unless you wish to become my publisher and editor.

If that were the case, I would say, "No, thank you. I don't wish to work alongside you or take your advice, because you are rude, insulting, and pompous, and demonstrate a poor ability to express yourself intelligently or politely. You show no indication of being supportive of me or my work. Further, I suspect that contracting with you as my editor and representative would shed a poor light on me as well. Respectfully, therefore, I must decline, but thank you sincerely for your offer."

There's your explanation.

You obviously aren't a published "writer" then... because if you can show me an editor that isn't "rude, insulting, and pompous" I'd say that's a miracle in and of itself...

Besides... I've worked with "writers" like you before... and by the time I was done with the edit and rewrite my work was substantial enough that their name could be taken off of their "own" manuscript...

Oh... and did I forget to put the "Christian" part behind "Gnostic"... hmmm... looks like I did figuring you'd take the bait and say something even dumber as you have with each subsequent post... thanks for not disappointing...

By the way you should probably watch it with the "clever" sidestepping of profanity... it's generally not smiled upon and really not the least bit clever...

edit on 10-1-2012 by SwissMarked because: So I can call myself an editor...

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Just a quick thought, we know there is some allegory in the verse because He is saying faith as a mustard seed. To me, it seems reasonable to read it as "Even if you have only a small amount of faith in Me, you will be able to do amazing things."

And indeed, the disciples he was speaking to did amazing things, miracles. Some were recorded, some were not. The Bible establishes the principle that faith can do amazing things, and indeed, miracles are still happening today.

Let me offer another line of thought. If you have faith in God, you can arrive in Heaven. Who can imagine what powers you'll have there? Perhaps moving mountains, perhaps moving planets.

The important part for me? Faith in God is essential, and that faith allows me to have an impact on the world beyond that which I do with just my hands.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SwissMarked

Oh... and just because you do something every day that doesn't mean that's what you are... I eat every day that doesn't make me an "eater"... I breathe every minute... that doesn't make me a "breather"... and I take a leak every hour but that doesn't make me a... well... you should get the point... but I'm guessing this too will take further explanation... which goes to prove my point that if someone spent all day performing miracles for every pissant that wants one in order to believe... there still wouldn't be enough time in all of eternity to convert everyone...

Wow, us "pissants" out there are wondering why you are so condescending and hateful.

Its too bad you dont believe in a religion that teaches compassion and tolerance.

BTW: if you are behind the wheel of a car, driving down the road.....do you not consider yourself the driver?

I'd like to hear you explain that to an officer.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Since you've "been around for a couple years" and you see I've made a "couple posts" within the same thread you may want to learn how to use the "quote button" instead of the "reply to" so I know exactly which post is so ASININE (not sure what "asanine" is so I spelled what I figured you meant since there is no such thing as "asanine")
If you are unclear about which post I am referring to, you can simply click on the top of my posts where it links to the post I replied to. I try to avoid unneccessary quoting, especially in your case where I find just about all of your posts to be asinine. Your feeble attempt at Grammar/Spelling Naziism and forum etiquette only reveals your laughable philosophical position. Ya got me, I spelled a word wrong and I didn't undertake the tedious process of quoting each specific thing I'm going to blast you on. But I'll do it, just for you, because you are obviously special...

Yes "the onus" is on me to perform the miracle since I stated I would... however as I also stated I could perform miracles all day every day only to have some other jagoff come up and say "that wasn't good enough do another"... I'm not sure what marks that as "the height of arrogance an hypocrisy" but I'm certain you can expand for me...
You can state all day everyday that you can miracle all day everyday and it doesn't mean anything. You're just another "keyboard pissant" ( to use your language), and a poor one at that. You're language reveals that you're just some angry kid with a chip on his shoulder that's feeling invincible hiding behind your computer. (see I can make dumb assumptions too, just trying to make the playing field even for ya.) You 're arrogant in thinking you can do miracles all day, when in the next paragraph you admit that it's not really you, it's god working through you. You seem to have this self-righteous attitude that you've got it all figured out and anybody that doesn't see it that way is a "jagoff" (clever ruse there, being crude and bypassing the language filter while also making disparaging comments about people you don't know) Do I really need to spell out the hypocrisy for you?

So far as "God chuckling at my fall" (I'm assuming you mean fail) because of "my pride"... when I say "I" would perform the miracle... I'm simply dumbing it down for those to simple to understand the concept that when Jesus Himself was performing the miracles He didn't claim it was Him that was doing it but quite simply that He was a vessel for God to work through... if you hold that belief anything is possible... if you don't and tell yourself "that isn't possible" you'll never accomplish what it is you set out to do whether it's move a mountain or brush your teeth...
You assume wrong, perhaps you've heard of the little saying" Pride goeth before a fall" And now I see you moving the goalposts back, we went from YOU can perform miracles all day to "well I actually can't but Jesus can, sort of, if god wills it" Smooth, real smooth. So really this whole diatribe about unbelievers presenting to you a "worthy" miracle, is just a way of buying yourself some time to come up with more excuses. Gee where have I heard this before...

So in summary, you made spelling/grammar errors, committed forum etiquette violations, made dumb assumptions, called people names, had an unwarranted sense of superiority, moved the goalposts, numerous philosophical fallacies, and lastly, made a mockery of your own God. SHould I expand on these themes for you, or are you gonna quit while you're behind?

edit on 10-1-2012 by Gigatronix because: bad quoting

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n
Jesus said....

For verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
-Matthew 17:20

Now I am sure many of the christians here have faith larger than a mustard seed.

So why not show a demonstration of it and ask a mountain, or a hill... or at least a mustard seed to "remove hence to a yonder place" and show us non-christians that you guys are for real. This shouldn't be difficult for you all, considering that the bible that you follow declares that nothing shall be impossible for you all.

In case your faith is NOT "as a grain of mustard seed".... and if you would rather say that its all "figurative", I would really appreciate it, if you could tell me what basis one is supposed to declare a verse to be figurative or literal.... or do you just declare the difficult ones "figurative"???

At least this way we would all get to know who among the christians lack faith even as much "as a grain of mustard seed". Well, obviously, they will be destroyed by Jesus once he gets here and burn in hell for all eternity along with the muslims, hindus, buddhists etc.

Thanks!
edit on 10-1-2012 by sk0rpi0n because: grammar

edit on 10-1-2012 by sk0rpi0n because: added verse in green

edit on 10-1-2012 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

Youre not familiar with the word "metaphor" are you?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

By the way you should probably watch it with the "clever" sidestepping of profanity... it's generally not smiled upon and really not the least bit clever...

edit on 10-1-2012 by SwissMarked because: So I can call myself an editor...

OK, so "pissant" and "jagoff" are ok though?

This coming from a person trying to tell us that the Denver winning a foot ball game is a miracle.

Dont know that I'd call you a pissant jagoff, but child certainly fits.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

You obviously aren't a published "writer" then... because if you can show me an editor that isn't "rude, insulting, and pompous" I'd say that's a miracle in and of itself...

Wrong again, on both points.

I am published, and my very first editor nearly twenty years ago was enthusiastic, supportive and polite. She did not change my words so much that she "could have taken my name off of the manuscript," either.

Voilà, there's your miracle!

Aside from the fact that you are completely off topic and admittedly baiting, you have proven my point yet again. Thanks for the clarification. I'll let the attitude roll right off my back, no worries!

"What point?" you might ask.

The point that you are a poor example of a Christian, Gnostic or otherwise (and of an editor, for that matter).
Namaste

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gigatronix
So in summary, you made spelling/grammar errors, committed forum etiquette violations, made dumb assumptions, called people names, had an unwarranted sense of superiority, moved the goalposts, numerous philosophical fallacies, and lastly, made a mockery of your own God. SHould I expand on these themes for you, or are you gonna quit while you're behind?

Well said.
Very well said! Hope he will go away, and let the adults talk.

(sorry, I am dieing to throw some humor into this....I'll apologize ahead of time, if I offend any......but I have to at least give myself a reason to laugh)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Ya know.....I asked Jesus for the mustard seed, but all I got were the little packets of mustard.

Oh, no.....wait that was (Hey Zus) at mcdonalds.

******** calm down it was just a joke ******

Really, I never understood the 10 condiments anyway

1 katchup
2 mustard
3 mayo

the others sort of slip me - again JK

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Now I am sure many of the christians here have faith larger than a mustard seed.

So why not show a demonstration of it and ask a mountain, or a hill... or at least a mustard seed to "remove hence to a yonder place" and show us non-christians that you guys are for real. This shouldn't be difficult for you all, considering that the bible that you follow declares that nothing shall be impossible for you all.

You misunderstand the nature of the power of faith. It is not a power to be used to satisfy a heckler. Any power given to any man is given to him by God. That is the power of faith. Unwavering belief that in ALL situations God will use you and others for his will.

Accepting your weakness, embues you with the power to do ANYTHING given you by God to do.

If HE wants you to move a mountain, he will move it for you.

That is faith.

Now watch me move mountains my friend.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Move!

Keep watching.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

So you are basically saying its not literal? Good. On to the second half of the OP....

So, on what basis do you conclude that a verse is a metaphor?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

I know you from your other posts.
Clearly, the OP was meant for strictly bible only christians, who take the bible literally whenever it suits them and metaphorically whenever it does not.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

reply to post by IAMIAM

I know you from your other posts.
Clearly, the OP was meant for strictly bible only christians, who take the bible literally whenever it suits them and metaphorically whenever it does not.

My post was more for them than for you my friend.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

reply to post by lonewolf19792000

So you are basically saying its not literal? Good. On to the second half of the OP....

So, on what basis do you conclude that a verse is a metaphor?

It's a metaphor when it contradicts reality, or when it was meant to be literal and it goes against their point of view.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Since you've "been around for a couple years" and you see I've made a "couple posts" within the same thread you may want to learn how to use the "quote button" instead of the "reply to" so I know exactly which post is so ASININE (not sure what "asanine" is so I spelled what I figured you meant since there is no such thing as "asanine")
If you are unclear about which post I am referring to, you can simply click on the top of my posts where it links to the post I replied to. I try to avoid unneccessary quoting, especially in your case where I find just about all of your posts to be asinine. Your feeble attempt at Grammar/Spelling Naziism and forum etiquette only reveals your laughable philosophical position. Ya got me, I spelled a word wrong and I didn't undertake the tedious process of quoting each specific thing I'm going to blast you on. But I'll do it, just for you, because you are obviously special...

Yes "the onus" is on me to perform the miracle since I stated I would... however as I also stated I could perform miracles all day every day only to have some other jagoff come up and say "that wasn't good enough do another"... I'm not sure what marks that as "the height of arrogance an hypocrisy" but I'm certain you can expand for me...
You can state all day everyday that you can miracle all day everyday and it doesn't mean anything. You're just another "keyboard pissant" ( to use your language), and a poor one at that. You're language reveals that you're just some angry kid with a chip on his shoulder that's feeling invincible hiding behind your computer. (see I can make dumb assumptions too, just trying to make the playing field even for ya.) You 're arrogant in thinking you can do miracles all day, when in the next paragraph you admit that it's not really you, it's god working through you. You seem to have this self-righteous attitude that you've got it all figured out and anybody that doesn't see it that way is a "jagoff" (clever ruse there, being crude and bypassing the language filter while also making disparaging comments about people you don't know) Do I really need to spell out the hypocrisy for you?

So far as "God chuckling at my fall" (I'm assuming you mean fail) because of "my pride"... when I say "I" would perform the miracle... I'm simply dumbing it down for those to simple to understand the concept that when Jesus Himself was performing the miracles He didn't claim it was Him that was doing it but quite simply that He was a vessel for God to work through... if you hold that belief anything is possible... if you don't and tell yourself "that isn't possible" you'll never accomplish what it is you set out to do whether it's move a mountain or brush your teeth...
You assume wrong, perhaps you've heard of the little saying" Pride goeth before a fall" And now I see you moving the goalposts back, we went from YOU can perform miracles all day to "well I actually can't but Jesus can, sort of, if god wills it" Smooth, real smooth. So really this whole diatribe about unbelievers presenting to you a "worthy" miracle, is just a way of buying yourself some time to come up with more excuses. Gee where have I heard this before...

Might be unwarranted in your opinion... but how's that saying go about opinions again... and please... by all means... expand... I believe I named an exact date... I'm not budging or blinking... so by all means... expand away with your superior knowledge due to your message board seniority oh wise one...

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

I'll pass, thanks. Maybe if you take the time to specifically address my points we can continue, but plugging your ears and going Naanaanaannaanana is not a conversation I'm interested in. But keep up the patronizing smugness, I see you are really winning people over with your message....

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I'll pass, thanks. Maybe if you take the time to specifically address my points we can continue, but plugging your ears and going Naanaanaannaanana is not a conversation I'm interested in. But keep up the patronizing smugness, I see you are really winning people over with your message....

I'm not interested in winning anyone over... I'm interested in helping those that are already interested get further along in their journey... my "patronizing smugness" acts as an insulator that keeps away those that aren't truly interested in staying on the path stay off of it so as to not congest it for the rest...

But again... thanks for playing buddy... you've been a sheer delight...

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

OK so avoiding the arguments I've made, justifying your absurd sense of superiority with noxious garbage about not congesting the path of enlightenment to those you deem unworthy, and more patronizing smugness...

Just as I suspected, another delusional internet prophet whose nonsense doesn't hold up to scrutiny. I'm done here.

Good day.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by HeFrippedMeOff

i'm afraid you've been lied to
those "saints who sang amidst the flames" were what are known as Gnostics

this is why john of patmos speaks of the whore of babylon being drunk on the blood of saints
the whore of babylon is the name given to the xtianian church that went down the path of faith and set up a Babylonian priesthood with a priest-king [the pope] at it's head. the exemplars of the past were falsely claimed as members

simples

organized christianity is always bringing those people along with saint francis and others up, just as some esoteric lodges claim leonardo or akenaton were members/founders

yet a simple reading of francis's biography shows he went contrary to the churches teachings he was smarter than other heretics and instead of preaching, taught by example, [very difficult to twist ones words in such cases]

in recent times a fellow after reading francis's biography, set out to live "the life of christ" and was promptly locked up in an asylum, by his family because he wanted to give away all HIS money to the poor and homeless

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join