It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will We Have a Winter this Year??

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Its because the sun is the closest it will be to earth in a long while.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
A few days ago, it was 65 in Omaha, NE. Last year this time, it snowed about 6 times before this date. This year, twice. It's all gone. There were kids at the park today in their shorts.

I'm worried it's going to kick off tornado season early.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

In South Australia, this is the second summer in a row that feels more like Winter.

Several factors, La Nina, but also the Chile volcanic ash that travelled around the Southern hemisphere is probably having a cooling effect which maybe might mean the Northern Hemisphere may be feeling a warming effect due to the Earth trying to balance.

Then you have all the radiation from all the various Nuclear disasters that occurred last year. Fukushima wasn't the only one. With all those radioactive particles sitting in the upper atmosphere, being pulled down by weather onto the heads and into the mouths of all the friendly inhabitants of the Northern Hemisphere, surely all those radioactive particles are causing some sort of warming effect, or unseen/unacknowledged effect on Mother Earth.

The world is in dire trouble. So are the inhabitants of the Northern Hemisphere, and in turn the entire planets inhabitants.

Best of luck.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I'm in Northwest Indiana, close to Lake Michigan. The other day my son was playing on the swing set and my husband kept saying how great the weather was, and all I could think was that it was scary. I don't want to complain because I'm enjoying not having to clean the snow off my car, but it's January! I do have a bad feeling that when the snow hits, the lake effect is gonna be crazy!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

I live on Lake Erie. And we usually have 3 feet of snow or more around this time of year. So far we only had 2 days of significant amount of snow fall, witch only last 4 days. There is so much to do in the winter round here. So, is all the winter activity (sledding, ice fishing skiing etc.) maybe the thing of the past? Or is there a monster winter ice storm waiting in the mist....

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
As happy as I am with the warm winter so far here in western tn,I am a bit concerned because if the weather dosent do its usual cold-n-ice trick we are going to be swarming with wasps and other not so friendly bugs.It also throws a big ol red flag considering about 200 years ago the new madrid eq occured durring an unusually warm winter.hmmm....

edit on 06/08/2011 by Cyberboiraves because: correction

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Eastern Kentucky Here...

Unusual Warm weather for this time of year...

I've never seen it this warm and enjoyable here in my 27 years...

I pray for snow... we really need it here

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Another from SE MI here

I'm 33 and never remember it being this warm this time of year

Asked my mom who is almost 70 and she told me that she doesn't remember it being this warm this time of year either.

My dad keeps saying that it is because of the Japan EQ and axis shift.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Here in midwest (chicagoland) its been unseasonably warm. its been between 35 and 50 all winter so far. It did snow once but it was very light, and melted the next day. Last year in early februrary there was a HUGE blizzard with 4+ foot snow here! Perhaps such a storm is on its way.............

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
So far it has barely snowed When it did, it seemed to melt faster than years prior. Days and weeks were of below zero, right now it's record warm since X number of years. Which has me in concern for the bugs who are confused/waking early. It might mess with the coming spring season. Also, job losses, plowers and snow shoveling prospects are dead.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I was wearing shorts yesterday, in January weather in a new England city!! This is so crazy, there should be feet and feet of snow!!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   

I fear it will not snow at all this year. Here in MN, we got a wopping half inch and now you see only patches of bits of snow here and there. If this happens, this will be the beginning of a drought here in MN. Thankfully, we are the land of 10,000 lakes, so not to worry to much. Other states not so good. Texas, california, nevada, and a few others will feel the strain and more fires too. The weather has been screwy the past years. Ever since the current in the ocean changed, weather patterns changed with it. Weird times they are and i fear it will only get worse. Last year, in the summer, me and a friend went to the beach and just as we pulled up to the beach a black brown cloud approached. We stayed in the car and watched the dust and sand from a nearby farm consume the whole town of big lake. People on the beach were covering their eyes and running off the beach to their cars.
This winter, Ice fisherman are worried to go onto the lakes, exept the NUTTY, they like falling in for attention. On the warm days of last week we had highs of 52 degrees here, low 34 or 36 degrees and people were told to stay off the ice. We had a warm christmas and it is warm now. I did not have to put on any jacket. I wore a sweater instead. It is only jan. 8th and a sweater. We hit the record breaker I believe. I have never seen no snow this late in the season. I know we have had brown christmases before, but now is bordering on rediculous. When i was younger, i remember lots of snow and NO brown christmases at all. CRAZY weather patterns. In some places where it next to never snows have blizzards. Some places are getting CRAZY wild strong winds. Others getting more and more drought. Last year MN got so f# hot. The geese here in MN do not go south for the winter, rather they stay all year round and the population of geese has exploded. A week before christmas the sky was littered with flocks all over the sky. Blanketing the sky. I'm tempted to get a stick and put a line on it to hunt geese. It would be so easy, i woulden't even have to aim really. Just throw into the masses on the ground. Instant lunch. When it is geese hunting, everyone fills their quota. Where the f# are they all comming from? They are a problem. My CAR gets hit with poo. Anyways, yes the seasons are changing, things are changing rapidely. The other day i saw fly's outside. Yes, fly's in JAN 8th. CRAZY.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by PLUMBER1

Although many are enjoying the warmer temps and lack of snow, I think it's a sign that spring and summer are going to be pretty darn dry, resulting in poor crops and rising food prices yet again. That's my concern anyway. And how is Texas doing having gone a year now of drought? Unless we get some snow soon or heavy spring rains, we'll all be crying in our beer/lemonade this summer.
edit on 8-1-2012 by Gridrebel because:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I live In Buffalo new york which is sometimes known fotr very bad winter i think it snowed for maybe 5 days this whole winter... in fact to day it snowed in the morning form maybe an hour but was alll melted bty the end of the day very odd I think of it as a drought snow is rain that has frozen it is like the wet season that provideds the mosture n the ground for the spring no snow means no water level and I will probably have a crummy vedgie garden this year... I think something is up and we not being told the whole story... =(

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

Originally posted by shadowland8
In Australia we've had worse weather than usual. Throughout the entire year its been more rain than anything, and definitely colder than usual. Our Summer is nothing like it should be.

I heard you all down under where in a heat wave,45 Celsius,113 Fahrenheit ?

Yeah we had a few hot days sure, but generally a lot cooler than usual for this time of year. Look at the posts from Australians on this thread.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Same here in Rhode Island, we only had 1 night of snowfall and that was before Halloween. We've had a few flurry's but nothing special. I would really like to see a few inches of snow before the end of winter.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Winter is usually the most harsh towards the end of Janurary into the end of Februrary, at least in my experience.

That being said, there is some serious global destabilization going on....

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Yes this is odd, but I'm not complaining. Last year's winter did not to want to end.
This is outstanding. The caterpillars knew it would be mild - they were skinny as can be.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   

I hear you.

This year we are experiencing the El Nino effect, which creates above-average warm temperatures. That, coupled with global warming, and you've got a year without a winter. Pretty crazy stuff. Plowers should be makin thousands by now... and they're S.O.L.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
We have alot of geese around here. I'm starting to get pssst. here in MN.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join