It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will We Have a Winter this Year??

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
tell me about it, up here in Duluth MN its been high 40's, never have I seen such a warm winter here.
we should be well into the subzero temps by now.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Elienne

Yeah I know what you mean, I'm from Navarre and now live in Mobile, AL. It has been unseasonable, but it has been like this before...down here. The strange thing is that it's like this throughout the majority of the country. I for one love it as I hate the cold weather. I'd rather sweat than freeze

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

I live on The Isle Of Man ( a little island in the middle of the Irish sea) I agree this winter has been a very odd one, theres not been any snow here although the weather keeps forecasting it, the temperatures have been unusually high, there has been little rain but it has been very very windy more than normally .

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Well, I guess I'll go and be the odd one out again....

I'm at about 8000 ft. in Colorado, about 100 miles north of the NM border.

And it is COLD. Last year, all the farmers talked about was how there was no precipitation. And there wasn't. Where I live is border desert-like area and National Forest. It was so dry last year, and warm. It's like this thread is a flashback to last year's weather in the Valley.

Continuing.... I moved to Colorado right before winter last year, expecting the worse, getting less snow than Texans are used to.

This year- COMPLETE opposite. Like whoa! It's snowed several times, and although the last time was over a week ago, there's still a couple of feet of snow on the ground. It has only reached above freezing a handful of times, while dropping below zero every-once-in-a-while.

Wolf Creek Ski Area (10,000ft) claims 200 inches so far this season. Last year they had over 400 by the end. This season isn't over until end of March at the earliest. In fact, the locals expect LOTS more snow before spring. And more cold.

Also, when checking the almanac for averages and such, our area's pretty right on.

So... seems I do, in fact, live in a perfect bubble.
I love finding proof.

Enjoy your warm weather all!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
I'm glad you posted this, since we both live in the same area.

Another thing I have notice is the sun is much much brighter, it almost hurts my eyes if I don't have sun glasses. Have you noticed this?

Usually Michigan has at least 40 inches of snow by now, but we have had light flurries at best.

Strange is an understatement, but I'll take it every winter from now on.

YES! the sun is BLINDING and although it's always bright it's noticeably brighter to me than usual. it started bothering me at the beginning of "fall".

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Here in Boston, it is for me, the wierdest weather I have ever seen, and I have been in this area for at least 50 years.
It has never been this mild as far as I have experienced. The last few days, the hot dog carts are back at the parking lots and malls!.

If you ever spent a few years in Boston, you know what to expect. This is a cold place in the winter, and I am absolutely flabergasted at what is going on. Global Warming? ... how about Global Upheaval!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   

I've been working in my t-shirt and shorts all weekend here in Tallahassee, FL. Now, we always have some nice days through the winter here, but last year at this time we were in the middle of a month-long cold snap where it was in the teens every night.

They are calling for a record high, close to 80 degrees tomorrow, and 70's all week, with lows in the 50's.

Usually, by the end of January, our winter is over, and it looks like we might not get one at all this year!

My Mom and family lives in MIssouri, and they are supposed to have a winter storm headed their way right now, but it looks like it may stay to their south, and stay as rain instead of snow. She says some of the trees are getting buds on them already. That isn't completely unusual, the trees usually bud out a couple of times in the early spring (Feb-March) and then they get frozen off and have to re-bud. She has never seen buds in January though.

It's all fine with me, I hate winter anyway. I know its important, and I know some places depend on it, and some natural cycles depend on it, but here in Tallahassee, we can live without it.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I think it's posted elsewhere that the South Pole station at Antartica recorded it's highest December temperature ever recorded... a week or so ago it was about 9.9 degrees above freezing! I know it's summer down there but that's positively tropical for the Antartic.

After 2 very harsh winters in the UK, where it's been 20 degrees below on a couple of days where I live... this winter so far has been comparitively mild. Just wet, grey & grim!
edit on 8-1-2012 by JB1234 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

My Winter experience is bizarre. Normally here in East Texas, leaves turn in late October and are off the trees by mid- to late-November. Leaves are now about half gone. Today it was 60 degrees, and has been for the past couple of weeks, with a couple of 30 degree nights. I fear our mosquito season is gonna be a bad one.

/TOA

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

I live in Seattle...and the weather we have been having...is like a combination of fall and early spring. I am really enjoying it!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Here in South Carolina... last year at Christmas time, we built a snowman. This year we were in short sleeves. Right now, it is 57 degrees outside at 8pm... in JANUARY! We have had some cold mornings this winter, but not many. Temp has gotten up to 70 and dropped to 35, then hot again this winter...

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I live in upstate NY. I travel frequently to NYC and back, and at times there can be a huge difference in weather and temperature. This year however, it is unusually mild in both locations. We had a lot of rain a few days ago here in upstate NY and that is very odd for this time of year. Snow is the norm up here in the winter and the cold is usually steady. We`ve had some cold temps and I think starting tonight we will be getting some more, possibly single digits. It`s the same in the city, no snow and above average temps for the most part. I have always paid close attention to the weather ever since I was a kid. I`m positive the course of weather has dramatically changed over the last decade at least. This is an odd winter thus far, almost unnatural.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Little late this year is all. But I can see it coming right now. Chilly as a cold day on the moon in So. Cal right now. You'll get yours Michigan so keep your Parca handy.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
We are certainly having winter here in southern Spain. Cold. Damp, Chill. And from what I've heard, it's been pretty damned wintry back in the UK. Maybe some places just are getting winter late?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Same here in Southern Ontario, but after last year ( snow every day from Nov till April) We will take our chances with the negative impact of no snow here.
Heck we will even hug it with open arms too!
At this time last year I had used over 20 Litres of gas for our snowblower and ran out of places to blow it to.
4 big bags of heavy rock salt gone, broke one shovel, and I had a constant back ache too.
This year zip nadda zero zilch not a flake to be seen........Yipppppeeeeee.
Regards, Iwinder
edit on 8-1-2012 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Well here in Louisiana, normally it is cold around this time of year but the last 2 days have been a t-shirt, shorts and flip flips kind of day. Thermometer in my car said 77F degrees, which is quite odd considering it snowed 3 times the year before (Which was odd as well).

Paradox.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
From Canberra, Australia and no kidding, most days feels like nice winter weather here!

ETA it's suppose to be the middle of summer here!
edit on 8-1-2012 by surrealist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Same here, in Ohio. For every year of my life it has at least started snowing in December, sometimes even November. Not to mention the cold weather that required a heavy jacket. But this year was different. It was frighteningly cold in the middle of October for about a week. Then it was warm again until about the end of November. Then the weather got somewhat cold again from the beginning of December to about the middle of December. Right now it feels like the end of February but it is the beginning of January. I don't mean to complain that we aren't getting a "real" winter but I have a bad feeling that we're going to get snow in May.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

I gather that most of the U.S warm weather is due to the southern breeze comng in off the gulf-LaNina, ElNino, cant remember which.

Either way we should be getting an Alberta Clipper pretty soon thatll pu things to right.

Missouri Girl here- 72 degrees on Friday this week, 65 on Sat, and now 50 and dropping-wet cold feeling outside this evening.

Im thinking "Here we go" Dont freet winter will get here, lets just hope it doesnt stay longer than usual, Id really like to so some summer swimming this year.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
The year before last, I had four feet of snow just outside Washington, DC ... by the way, very unusual ... almost freakish. This year, nothing. I wore shorts yesterday.

I remember one Christmas about ten years ago, hiking in the Blue Ridge Mountains the day after Christmas in shorts.

When I was a kid, once in June, I was on Mount Rogers in Virginia and it was snowing (our mountains are small and it doesn't snow except in the winter, if then ... typically).

I also remember having to go to school on Saturdays because we got so much snow, school was closed for almost three weeks. On the other hand, we also used to get out of school sometimes for the heat (schools weren't air-conditioned as much as they are now).

When I was in college, in the mountains, six hours from the coast, we never, ever got out of classes for snow ... but we did get out of class one day for a hurricane (Hugo)!

Weather varies and there are extremes.

Not denying possible effects of global warming, including extremities in the summer and winter. But there's always unusual weather going on somewhere.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join