It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will We Have a Winter this Year??

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I'm in Southern Maine, USA. No snow here and above avg. temperatures feels more like fall around here then winter.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I'm glad you posted this, since we both live in the same area.

Another thing I have notice is the sun is much much brighter, it almost hurts my eyes if I don't have sun glasses. Have you noticed this?

Usually Michigan has at least 40 inches of snow by now, but we have had light flurries at best.

Strange is an understatement, but I'll take it every winter from now on.

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
The weather has been odd to say the least this winter.
Above average temperatures....below average to non-existent snow.
Plays havoc with fragile economies as snow contractors, retailers of snow removal stuff and winter sports suffer.
Isn't good for the earth as we need the cold to kill off bugs, weeds and disease and a blanket of snow is a good protector.

Here in SE MIchigan, we've not needed to use a shovel once...I saw a flying insect [like a big mosquito] last week and this morning I saw a dandelion in bloom.

edit on 8-1-2012 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

It's been very warm here in the DC area. Friday it was in the sixties and yesterday close to seventy. We're having spring weather in January. But if years passed have been any indicator, it'll likely be a mild January, then we'll get SLAMMED in February.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Also from SE Michigan (Dearborn) and enjoying this Winter so far.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I've taken notice to this too. Im in norcal and for this time of year it is ridiculously lovely weather.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Well, I am from Texas where winter has never existed. Our idea of Winter is 40 degrees and gray. Maybe a quarter inch of snow that melts as soon as it hits the ground once every few years.

So really my Winter is the same as always. But I do have friends from other parts of the country who are reporting that it is just not wintery like usual for them. I figure it happens some times. Nature is very unpredictable.

While regions do tend to have similar whether each year, it is not a certain thing that they will have the same kind of winter, every year.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
You hit the nail on the head with this thread. I am living in MN at my job, alot of people's live-ly-hood depend on the snow season, especially my boyfriend whom is a Dog Musher. It makes me wonder if this is one of the things expected to happen in 2012?? Thats a whole other subject......I know..... ha ha. Oh well, all I can do is keep praying for snow!! Good luck to everyone, and I hope Mr. Winter comes soon!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
PA hasn't had a winter, yet.

But how old is everyone here? We've had non-winters before, yes? It's not like this is a rare freak occurrence; it's a mild-winter. The last two winters were awful here, and I for one am thankful for the lack of winter this year.

If we were trending towards something cataclysmic, we'd be seeing a pattern of lesser and lesser winters. It's just a mild winters, relax ya'll.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoSpace

Where-abouts In South UK are you mate?
I'm In Brighton and your'e right been a very very mild Winter, had a few "very cold" days but litrally a few, like 3 maybe 4.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
I'm glad you posted this, since we both live in the same area.

Another thing I have notice is the sun is much much brighter, it almost hurts my eyes if I don't have sun glasses. Have you noticed this?

Usually Michigan has at least 40 inches of snow by now, but we have had light flurries at best.

Strange is an understatement, but I'll take it every winter from now on.

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
The weather has been odd to say the least this winter.
Above average temperatures....below average to non-existent snow.
Plays havoc with fragile economies as snow contractors, retailers of snow removal stuff and winter sports suffer.
Isn't good for the earth as we need the cold to kill off bugs, weeds and disease and a blanket of snow is a good protector.

Here in SE MIchigan, we've not needed to use a shovel once...I saw a flying insect [like a big mosquito] last week and this morning I saw a dandelion in bloom.

edit on 8-1-2012 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

I was out walking my dogs yesterday with my wife and we both mentioned how we thought the sun was a lot brighter and warmer then usual.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I agree with you also, it has definately been warmer this year, I am in the North of England and I haven't had any snow or even a decent bit of frost yet.

I think it was the warmest Christmas day we have had in years too, think it was 13 degrees, but don't quote me on that!

Definately some crazy sh*t goin on with the weather!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Well, I'd have to see this happen every year (or even more often than not) for ten years or more before I could call it a pattern. But with that said, here in the Bay Area where winter doesn't normally really happen anyway, we have had unseaonably warm temperatures and virtually NO precipitation. It usually rains more in January here than December, but this year we've had no rain all December and none at all so far in January either. While that's a bit odd in my 30 years here, it isn't entirely unheard of.

Supposedly we are in a moderate drought here, though, sadly. This is a shame, because I love rain. I can't stand sunny, mild weather. I want thunder, wind, and hail.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Im in the Netherlands, warmest winter of my life. No snow, no frost, no cold. I'm so disappointed.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
And it's another beautiful California springtime this winter!

Something's fishy!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
It's been warm here in Minnesota all winter. Even NORTHERN Minnesota doesn't have snow.

Normally I say Minnesnowta but not this year...

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
The big issue is with us here in Ontario Canada I think is no snow = no snow melt in the spring.

We have water restrictions in the summer when we get a ton of snow melt, what will happen this year with no snow melt.

This also effects the States to as our water system finds its way down through the Mississippi River.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I LIVE in Austin, Texas: warm as hell right now. Odd.

Currently on VACATION in Steamboat, Colorado - 23" base - unheard of. (we did get 10" over the last 48hrs - bit still not the usual 70+")

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I'm near port Huron Michigan... Usually around this time of year we have 4 foot snow drifts against our garage. It's been raining like crazy though. I love the warmer weather so this is all good with me, I would love it to stay this way, I can't stand the cold.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Here is to having this kind of winter EVERY YEAR. No snow, mild temperatures.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I'm currently teaching English in Kiev, Ukraine and we've barely even had a Winter here! My girlfriend and everyone else I know says that this has been the warmest winter that they can remember. I recently got back from a trip to the Carpathean mountains in Northwestern Ukraine. There was about an inch or two of snow for 3 days, and melted completely on the fourth day...Crazy weather ALL over this Earth...Makes me a little nervous and definitely concerned to be honest.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join