It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vacant Homes and Homeless People in America

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Greetings everyone - I have just been reading through news stories and came upon an article about all the homeless people in America and all the vacant homes in America.
www.infowars.com...
Title - 3.5 Million Homeless & 18.5 Million Vacant Homes in the US

I had to look twice at the title of the article and compare 3.5 million to the number 18.5 million. This type of information really does make me shake my head in disbelief. How is this happening? Why is this happening? When did the people of America stop noticing what was happening all around them - to their neighbours and their communities? More importantly why are the American people allowing this to continue?

Not living in America I know I am only reading an article written from the perspective of one person - however - I do know - via first hand conversations that there are people in America who are seriously wanting to leave the country. This indicates to me there must be truth to articles such as the one featured in this thread.

Why would any government want their people on the street and homeless? They must have their reasons and it seems to me that the word conspiracy is becoming redundant - this is reality. Looking at the title of the article you do not have to be a mathematician (certainly not my strength by a long shot) to see that people do not have to be homeless.

I encourage discussion on this subject as a matter of respect for all the homeless people - all over the world. I know that America is not alone with the reality of thousands upon thousands of people without a tangible roof over their head to call home. I utilise the news article that caught my attention and request any thoughts - ideas - explanations - remedies - forecasts and any manner of attention we can give to our human family - many that will sleep outside tonight - some in extreme cold and others in extreme heat - dependent on where they are at this moment in time.

Much Peace...while we figure this out...

edit on Mon Jan 2 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: supplied different link

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
1.Media not showing this
2.everyone's to busy working trying to make enough money to live another day don't have time or are spending their time let me rephrase that wasting their time

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
The truth is that there are probably a lot more than 3.5 million that are homeless.

That being said, people believe a little bit too much in rugged individualism and pulling yourself up by your bootstraps here for that to fly. If you're homeless, you must be lazy or stupid. It's just one of those things.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I am still working but had to leave everything behind in Michigan to continue on in California.

The big shots at GM decided if we did not manufacture in China that they would not consider us to be a supplier. Probably they are close to retirement and will not have to live with the consequences of putting so many out of work such that they could no longer make a house payment.

One of the guys that is a security guard lives in a small motor home parked on the street. Many, many people in CA living like that.

We all are doing our best, but it only gets tougher.

Buy Made in USA
edit on 1-1-2012 by kawika because: corectolated spel'n err

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Would you be willing to give a homeless man you don't know your house until you can get it sold???

I wouldn't, but if I really did know that homeless man I would. See, it's all about perception, because we don't know that homeless man that's why we don't like them. Most of them are really good people you could trust with a house.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by EmperorXyn

Would you be willing to give a homeless man you don't know your house until you can get it sold???

In Michigan it was not possible to sell anything. People either walked away or went bankrupt. In either case the bank owns the vacant houses.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
How could someone really implement this?

You just give out the empty homes? How do you prove you are homeless. Then you also need someone to oversee the home. There is the cost of water, heat , sewer that has to be paid by someone.
I am not heartless, but I am a realist. The Banks are not going to just give the homes away either.

A lot of the homeless are mentally unable to care for themselves much less a home. What is needed is better mental health care treatment where people that need it are not turned away. What if you had mentally challenged individuals living in a home next to yours, and the home caught on fire. There are just way to many variables.

There are many on the streets that do not need to be there, there are many that choose to be there.
We need a different approach to getting the ones that do not need to be there, to get help.
If the government bought these homes from the bank, WE would be paying for all those homes, and the care, and the live in care that would be needed for a lot of people.

A nice thought, just not doable.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Amanda5

It's a complicated issue. I worked for a company that received money from the 2009 stimulus package. I lost my job later that year because of cut backs. Why? I don't know. They just received huge sums of money from the government yet still many were laid off at my facility. I received unemployment through the state of Texas for the first and only time of my life. The federal government added a whopping $25 per week to my unemployment as part of their package.

Couldn't find a job for months and had my home foreclosed on in 2010 after paying my mortgage and taxes on time for 8 years. 3 payments behind and I was out. My old home still sits empty until this day and I have a small apartment. "They" would rather have my home sit empty than allow me, and my children, who has worked all his life and NEVER sponged off of government programs to be homeless if that was the case.

But the issue also is that if "they" let some homeless people live in these homes for nothing many of these people who became homeless from doing nothing will continue to do nothing and ride out the freebies for as long as they can.

Catch 22 I guess!!!!

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Sad truth is, it comes to money. If you don't have it, you lose everything, possibly even your life.
No shelter, death.
Doesn't matter there are 18 million empty houses. the homeless or no one can move in and become squatters without putting out thousands of dollars to make a down payment on it. I hate that but it's the law. The stupid hateful law. If you have no money, just wither and die. maybe someone will remember you. Meh.

Govt's words no doubt. Definitely not my own. I'd help the entire Country if I freakin could. Seems those of us who are suffering and have nothing would give all they had to help those who have less or the same. Too bad people like us who ARE billionaires don't think that way.
If I say won the 500,000,000 lotto tomorrow (can't win if I don't play and I don't play so whatever). I can get by the rest of my life fine with 200,000 dollars. I'm 39. I'd help my family and loved ones first of course so they were set to not worry. The rest of that money I would give like 75k to each family I could who needed desperate help. Those who were struggling with some bills, I'd give them what they needed to help them catch up and have some left over to take the burdens off. I'd help people out in stores and pay for their shopping carts. I'd buy and deliver canned foods and such to households who had no way to get out and do their own shopping. I'd ensure no one I was physically able to reach out and help was going without. Just because I'm in those shoes now. I do not need more than 200,000 dollars because I'd still work. I can add to that as needed and if it got obnoxious, I'd skim and help MORE people. I don't NEED more than 200,000 dollars for my life time to live. Yet I know people who need 1000 dollars to keep their home, buy meds, keep the heat on, feed their families. They need it more than I do at that point and by all means they'll get it.

Why people like me aren't billionaires, I'll never know.

Maybe they WERE, and then got rich and forgot that side of themselves. Who knows. Speculations are just that. And true, one person can't help everyone ever, so there has to be warm loving caring sharing rich folk out there and we just rarely hear about them.

Anyway.

I have never been homeless but my son and I put in the application for housing. With me being unemployed and unable to get unemployment since nov 2010, i can't pay our bills and rent any longer. The housing is 50/mth if you have no income and they auto pay your bills (electric, gas and water and garbage. phone and tv is on you but we don't use tv so just our mobiles will be on). Hate having to do this but.... I can't pay my 800/mth over head any longer. I can't.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Why is there an assumption that people are homeless because they have mental health problems? Maybe some homeless people do have mental health problems but I believe it would only be a small percentage.

If anyone has a mental health problem it is every member of government who thinks they are actually helping the people of their country.

There has to be a solution - image if every single homeless person - squatted in every single vacant home. Just as an example - I wonder how difficult it would be to get them out - for them to move straight back in again. I wonder how the news would report the activities and how the public would react...hmm.

All I know is that having homeless people and having vacant homes - should equal - problem solved. Is society so messed up that people still cannot see this reality? Thank you for the input thus far - hopefully more discussion will come.

Much Peace...

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Amanda5

Dear Amanda5,

Why would any government want their people on the street and homeless? They must have their reasons and it seems to me that the word conspiracy is becoming redundant - this is reality. Looking at the title of the article you do not have to be a mathematician (certainly not my strength by a long shot) to see that people do not have to be homeless.

The government and media promote homelessness because it makes people fearful enough to work at the worst jobs. I have had "homeless" people living with me for the past three years; but, you wouldn't know it. Many people live by couch hopping if they have friends. They sleep on people's couches and move from friend to friend. Other people live in garages or in state and national parks. There is a lot of homelessness that most people never see.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by MrWax11

I find it hard to believe that homeless people became homeless because they did nothing. Having actually interacted with homeless people during my Police training in Australia - I was amazed at how different each story could be - from the man in the suit who came in for a free meal - he had lost his high paying position and would start teh day with food and go out and hunt for a new job.

Others were struck down by bad luck and bad timing and being duped and just plain old unfairness in life. Yes there were people who had mental health problems and addiction problems and people who had no family so did their level best to survive without any personal support network.

I have often wondered how and why a homeless person becomes homeless. I do know that when a human being can care for themselves their self esteem increases and this leads to a positive outlook and that leads to looking for options. In life when a kindness is given to a person - it would be extremely rare for a person not to appreciate the kindness and at some time - when they were able - to pass that kindness on to someone else.

All I can see is a government that does not care and citizens that are trying to survive in a situation that is probably going to get worse before it can get better. I wish I had the answer - I know there is a solution.

Much Peace...

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Yes I know of what you write. I have seen articles on entire communities living in parkland and setting themselves up with their own rules and societal norms - and - all to benefit their situation as they ponder their future. I am always made happy by the creativity and Spirit that can emanate from humans - particularly when they get together and use their intellect to help the whole and not the one.

Much Peace..

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by kawika

another reasom to dislike grreedy w/bankers

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by EmperorXyn

I wouldn't, but if I really did know that homeless man I would. See, it's all about perception, because we don't know that homeless man that's why we don't like them. Most of them are really good people you could trust with a house.

Emphasis added. No you wouldn't want homeless people living there. The power and utilities are out right? Then where are they going to go to the bathroom? (all over the place)
You might get lucky and they dig a hole in the yard. But then the smell starts. Oh, and is there a fireplace? No? Then there will be, in every room. Plus candle wax everywhere. Piles of discarded clothing, cardboard. blankets and food stuffs spoiling into the floor. Rats, mice and bugs follow. In and out traffic as once they find an "approved" location they tend to congregate and abuse the place until either welcome is used up or the place stinks so bad they move on. Walls get torn out for scrap plumbing and wire for recycle. I can say this because I know, I was one of them.

You don't really have much to worry about though, "homeless" people really have little need for dwellings per say. They need to be out doors to feel less confined and more "free". A house is a trap and a responsibility they chose to forgo a long time ago. For 18 million reasons in the OP's article, I guess. (Bank Foreclosures)

Living outdoors is a way of life for people who prefer open air, seclusion, and individual freedom that "civilians" will never really understand. Residential neighborhoods are far from the centers of activity that draw "homeless" people during their day. Like garbage bins (for cans) recycle centers, and local hangouts. People without cars find travel back and forth by foot to a "home" less desirable. Their "home" is nearby the source of whatever money and food they need to survive. They are less homeless than they are free from society, in their own mind anyway. Again, "civilized" people have a hard time understanding that.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Tent cities for the homeless:

This year, the tent city's residents will have to put wood-stoves in tents and plastic shanties, increasing fire risk. Brigham says the town is making it impossible to survive there, hoping to get the homeless out, and he's concerned it will end up killing people this year. More than 700,000 people are currently homeless in the U.S. and the number has grown 20 percent from 2007 to 2010. A recent UN report says the way the U.S. denies its citizens access to water, basic sanitation, and criminalizes homelessness is a violation of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights. Brigham can relate. He started the camp five years ago and more people show up every year. Some stay, some find part-time work where they can, move on, and wind up coming back. Read more: www.businessinsider.com...

www.businessinsider.com...

Some tent cities have up to 1000 residents. How terribly sad

It is easy to say it is their own fault that they have lost everything when you have a good job and a comfortable bed to sleep in at night. Ask yourself this, what happens if you become one of those unemployed, if you find your bank less than sympathetic to your plight. Would you be so quick to judge yourself or a loved one if they found themselves in this position? Many of those who are now living in these tent cities had good jobs and nice houses. We cannot turn our backs on these people or pretend they don’t exist. These tent cities may look unsightly but remember before complaining to the authorities that they should be moved, one day it might be you in their position. The only difference between you and them is that you still have something to lose. More at EndtheLie.com - EndtheLie.com...

Police cutting up the only shelter they have (tents). I understand that they were maybe not in the best place, but these people have to live there! But who knows... maybe they refused to move their tent... but to where???

Professional Carpenters and Chefs etc who cannot find work

endthelie.com...

edit on 2-1-2012 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Amanda5

That is why I stated "some" homeless people. By all means there are different stories for each situation, If you notice in my post i was almost homeless due to circumstances out of my control. But there are many here in America that would love to take advantage of more free housing as they do now. If you make a certain amount of money you don't qualify for free housing so they choose not to work in order to get free housing.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
ok .. this makes no sense to me, where's their unemployment compensation ?? ALL those people haven't had a job last 2 years ? or in the last 3 quarters? If they quit, yep.. not gonna get the check .. fired? Yep .. not gonna get the check .. but if you get laid off, and you at LEAST work for the last 9 months, you s/b getting a check from the state...

what am i missing here ?? Is the bigger picture a unemployment complete screw up or is there really a hidden agenda by the state gov ?

edit on 2-1-2012 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

Thanks for the effort you put into your post. I have seen some articles similar to the video clips you posted. I feel for these people and I notice at the end of the second clip that it was made in 2008. I wonder what the situation is like now in 2012 and whether any of the people who spoke on screen - have had made any progress with employment and housing.

I could not watch the first video clip - I read the title and could not believe Police would be directed to cut up the tents. I have been a Police officer and I would have talked to my boss and looked for alternatives. Help them pack up but to destroy their tents - bloody rotten and evil.

All I know is that more attention needs to be focussed on the homeless with the media. I know the media is controlled but someone made the videos you posted - their needs to be more and more so that more and more people see the truth of what is going on.

I wonder whether we will get to a point where there will be as many people homeless as there are not homeless?!

Much Peace...

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
So, what is happening to all these vacant homes you ask. Well I was wondering the same thing, So i checked out city blogs from around the country and read some post from different cities. Cant link to any because I did not save them, I should have though. I did this last week.

Anyway. I was wondering why people are not buying up the foreclosures. Turns out the banks are no longer selling the foreclosures, at least not in the numbers you would think.I'm talking like one or two a month. I learned this from posts on City blogs. Las Vegas,NV. they even had a video why the banks are not selling. Phoenix AZ, California, lots of cities in the USA are reporting the banks are not selling the foreclosures, not even to investors. No one period. The banks want to collect rent.

So here is the problem the people ( regular people ) are reporting on city blogs from different cities. The banks are trying to rent them out, but it seems they want property management companies to do this for them cheap, and do the upkeep on the property as well. From what I have read the property management companies are staying away from bank owned properties now because they have to many expenses with banks owned homes, and it's not worth there time. In the process I also found some big chain property management companies that have been sued by the banks for not doing there jobs, and other are going out of business trying.

So the banks are back to the local police departments asking for help in patrolling entire empty developments and neighbors hoods with lots of empty homes. Seems like everyone is saying on city blogs that the cities are telling the banks no. because it a waist of personal and costing the cities in this country millions in overtime pay every month. So the banks are resorting to private security. which appears to be costing the banks more than the property management companies.

Bulldozing them over seems to be the last solution. The banks still won't sell the properties to investors because the banks make more money bulldozing them. How they do that, I have no idea. Anyway the city I live in decided to bulldoze two housing developments, 150 homes( all vandalized) because of crime , fires, drug dealings etc. and of course the homeless living in them.

Here is why the homeless cannot live in them according to information gathered form these city blogs from many cities .

1. No utilities, Heat, Water, Sewer, Electricity. Utilities companies will require some sort of deposit and will want the bills paid for every month.

2, Most of these homes have already been vandalized and not livable. missing electrical panels, sinks, tubs, lights etc you name it.

3. No city service s are provided,( entire developments) Water, sewer. All the cities in the west have some sort of water conservation program and will not turn on the water for entire developments or even one house; unless your willing to pay the bills. The city where I live tried that and found at fast that some contractors are filling up there 3000 gallon water trucks for construction of roads from the vacant homes and opening up fire hydrants to fill the trucks up.

4. The cities are condemning the homes now and bulldozing them over. Banks have no say so in this unless they are willing to keep up the property or restore the property. otherwise it get bulldozed over.

5. The banks cant rent them out because no one wants to live in a development where some or most of homes are condemned or the home next you is burned down. see Item 4 above.

What get me is that the banks are not willing to sell these properties to anyone now. They rather let them be bulldozed over. I can understand why the cities in the country don't want anyone living them either. Most are not livable now. but it beats sleeping in a tent any day. The city I live in has thought of establishing a special program for the homeless families to get back on there feet using these homes, rather than bulldoze them over. The cost is high, the banks won't put no money into them to make them livable again, the city does not have the millions to spare either to make them livable, so they get bulldozed. it was very short lived with the counsel, who knows it might have been a good program, but again it take lots of money which no one has these days.

edit on 2-1-2012 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join