It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proof That The Average American is ignorant to World and National events!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
reply to post by Domo1

When i said that i was talking to the majority of the people who have/will review this thread as i know that most of them will be Americans. As i said this isn't an attack. I know that most ATS members are bright and enjoy in seeking out the truth, hence why i stated that these are the average American

Using a made in America website
on an American invented internet.
This video is pure fluff.
It represents nothing, and I do not know
why every other country has some obsession
with US. They have there nose in our business
all the time. They follow our roll, just do what we do.
The average American does not have time
in between work, kid's, LIFE..
That is why we elect people.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
If you guys doubt the legitimacy of this video and the intelligence level of your everyday American, go down to the mall or somewhere nearby where there's a steady flow of people, and walk around and just ask people questions like these. Do it, see what happens.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem

Originally posted by daaskapital
reply to post by Domo1

When i said that i was talking to the majority of the people who have/will review this thread as i know that most of them will be Americans. As i said this isn't an attack. I know that most ATS members are bright and enjoy in seeking out the truth, hence why i stated that these are the average American

Using a made in America website
on an American invented internet.
This video is pure fluff.
It represents nothing, and I do not know
why every other country has some obsession
with US. They have there nose in our business
all the time. They follow our roll, just do what we do.
The average American does not have time
in between work, kid's, LIFE..
That is why we elect people.

Oh man, here we go with the American elitist stuff. I don't care if the US made the internet. It represents that the average US materialistic society is ignorant to your National and global events. Every country has their nose in the US's business?
more like vice versa.
edit on 30-12-2011 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
If you guys doubt the legitimacy of this video and the intelligence level of your everyday American, go down to the mall or somewhere nearby where there's a steady flow of people, and walk around and just ask people questions like these. Do it, see what happens.

I could walk up to anyone and
ask them questions they would not be able
to answer. What moron anyways needs to
bother people in a mall randomly asking them questions.

It is moot. No one cares, maybe it is people who think
they know everything and are *awake* that are the morons
Not the average person. Above no one everyone puts there pants
on the same way I DO.

Yes people do it see what happens, walk up to random
people like some weirdo creep and start asking them questions,
do it see what happens your going to ask the wrong person
and get knocked upside the head.
edit on 30-12-2011 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Year - Voting Pop. - Registered Voters - Turnout # - Turnout % of voting age
2010 (235,809,266) (------N/A------) (90,682,968) - 37.8%

2000 (205,815,000) (156,421,311) (105,586,274) - 51.3%

1996 (196,511,000) (146,211,960) (96,456,345) - 49.1%

1990 (185,812,000) (121,105,630 (67,859,189) - 36.5%

Read more: National Voter Turnout in Federal Elections: 1960–2010 — Infoplease.com www.infoplease.com...

Given the numbers I found for recent voter turnouts in the United States, I wouldn't count on those being voters. In fact, our turn out in elections are downright sad. It's little wonder how we've ended up the way we have when looking at the OP video and these numbers. We didn't have our country taken from us as much as we just lost it by default and pure lack of interest. American Idol was far more interesting.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem

We can get videos from any country
and people walking up to random people
asking them questions they may or may not
know.

Exactly! Not everyone, knows everything! Reference the recent mod post concerning ATS manners.

Originally posted by Raivan31
Well to be fair, they were all new yorkers, and New Yorkers don't know about anything outside of the place they claim to be the best city in the world, Even other Americans think new yorkers are ignornat!

I am an American and I don't think like that. Sure, there's dislike and stereotypical views about one part of the country coming from the next, same with different parts of the world. I am from the east coast but do not live there now(not NY though) and can vouch for not all New Yorkers being ignorant. That is a vague sweeping statement, to say any big city(anywhere in the world) has ignorant people because they only care for of know about the city they live in. Let's all move away from that.

edit on 30-12-2011 by dreamingawake because: more info

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I love when people talk about the "average american" because the USA is, well, the melting pot, so I don't think it's fair to take this video and say, "oh-ho! look at that. Silly, stupid america!"

Also, I'm pretty sure I can find a handful of idiots in NY.... or anywhere for that matter.
you really think these people vote?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
nothing left to do but....

listen to the message
edit on 30-12-2011 by jazzguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Fluoridated Water...imo

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
It's really easy for an experienced people watcher to "cherry pick" individuals in a crowd. A person can create a skewed view of any population. I would like to see this type of interview done in any country. The bottom line is that sensationalism draws viewers; even if you pretend you are a "reality news show".

edit on 12/30/2011 by GeistMelange because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
PS - that capital city w/the guy in the "Members Only" jacket will be glowing in the next 6 to 9 months.

Peace

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I've seen videos like this for years, David Letterman used to do segments like this on his show.

If you ask enough people questions on the street, anywhere in the world, you're going to find people who don't know the answers.. edit it together and you have yourself some entertainment.

This is hardly a conclusive thing.. it's amusing, but that's about it...

Now as for the true state of what the average American knows, I would still say it's probably not nearly as much as what they should know.. we're a culture where the most important news is who got eliminated from Hell's Kitchen or Dancing with the Stars.. and if the pizza guy has pulled up yet or not.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
ITT: Taking something satire completely out of context and acting as if it has any merit in regards to a countries intelligence, seriously people?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
You stated that this thread is not meant to offend, but you must have been aware that the video would be inflammatory, otherwise you wouldn't have included the disclaimer. That being said, I would have to agree that there are probably more people ignorant to important issues than there are people who follow them. My objection, however, is that the video implies that this is unique to the American public, when in reality this is an affliction the entire world faces.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
In Australia we have a show on the ABC called The Chaser - it is a comedy show!

Google Video Link

It is funny.

Much Peace...

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Go to NZ and almost all the Kiwis know who every major leader is and they know their geography very very well!

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
The video clip link will work - just click on the link provided - in the search box that appears - type in:

Bums, Idiots and Morons - World Perception of Americans.

It is very funny!

Much Peace...

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
The American Mass Media/Entertainment Industries have taken over the place of Religion as "The New Opiate of the Masses". It is Domestic Terrorism as a Weapon of Mass Destruction. And I am saying this as a Native, Natural-born American. The ignorance of my fellow publicly educated citizens is appalling.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by gougitousakusha
OP is ridiculous. how do you not understand that they spend days interviewing people and cut it down to minutes with nothing but the idiots.

Are you sure about that? Do you have some documentation to validate that statement? To be honest, from my experience with acquaintances this seems fairly accurate.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur

Here, here. This started as amusing, now its disappointing. One of those rare moments where I lose a little faith/respect for ats as a collective. You can tell from the replies in 2 pages that most people here don't interact with society very often. Get out every once in a while and talk to real people, complete strangers and actually get to know them a little, it would be good for you. Staying in internet forums "talking" to "people" is as real as "reality" tv. So much for denying ignorance, whether its patriotism or the prior its disturbing to see members here act like the people in this vid.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join