It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2012

page: 46
<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Unconfirmed reports of a felt earthquake in SOUTHERN ITALY app. 13 minutes ago

Magnitude ML 3.4
Region SOUTHERN ITALY
Date time 2012-02-15 20:46:36.0 UTC
Location 41.50 N ; 12.97 E
Depth 2 km
Distances 7 km NE Latina (pop 113,332 ; local time 21:46:36.6 2012-02-15) 11 km NW Pontinia (pop 13,593 ; local time 21:46:36.6 2012-02-15) 6 km S Sermoneta (pop 7,212 ; local time 21:46:36.6 2012-02-15)
source(www.emsc-csem.org...

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

Sure

Pg 23 of this very thread:

from Angelchemuel: Sneaks in quietly, smiles sweetly at Mr PuterMan, slaps this up on info wall*

2012/01/26 01:04:31.7 55.172 -7.573 3 2.2 3 BUNCRANA,IRELAND FELT BUNCRANA...

"Thought you said Ireland was probably the most seismically stable area in the world? so guess this was exception to that rule eh?"

www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk...=summary

*quick;y sneaks back out of room*

from Puterman: "Why would that be an exception. I did not say that we don't have quakes, only that we probably have fewer than anywhere else. After all we did have one in Clare a couple of years ago.

Never felt it by the way. Too far away. As far as I know the area where I live has never had an earthquake in written/living history."

and this response by Puterman to diamondsmith on pg 30:

"So perhaps you can explain to me how you have a copy of the CMT solution sent to a french email address before the Global CMT solution is available?

Can you also explain why you posted this is response to the EMSC tensor solution map which is way over the top by the way?

OK I see where you got it now.

But you still have not explained it............. "

and this ever-popular phrase stated on several pages: "Nothing to be concerned about. That is a highly active area. There are often swarms there as Mag 5's are not uncommon." pg 37

and of course his interaction with me on pg 14, when I simply posted about a documentary describing the Yellowstone activity, specifically where scientists stated that activity was increasing.. of course Puterman stated that of course the experts were incorrect, and that he was right in saying that nothing was going on with Yellowstone....

When I posted the info, he quickly questioned my sources, saying the guys on National Geopgraphic don't know what they are talking about.

There are so many other examples.....

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas
Guys let's not derail this Thread..

Agreed..

Is it not derailing to tell people not to discuss quakes on a 'Quake thread"?

Check the OP.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

We are all different and PM is just one of those laid back guys that doesn't want to see anyone or hear of anyone being scared when there is no control over the fear what so ever.

That is the truth. You have no idea at all how upset I get when I see people purposely scaring others. It is not nice. We can all do so accidentally, or by dint of the subject, but going out of ones way to do so is not on.

reply to post by zworld

Puterman, peeps are just giving you some constructive criticism is all. And I bet youve already taken it to heart. I know I felt put off by you after my initial post in this thread. Its all a learning process.

I am quite capable of accepting constructive criticism and unlike some I do realise my shortcomings/failings and attempt to temper my manner which I accept can be brusque. I agree it is not always successful as I have said on these Quake Watch threads before. It is never ever meant with malice however and my only aim in life is to help people learn.

And I need to express this because these emotions are very real. And I think others need to express as well.

I don't have any problem with you expressing that and I have never said that I do. Not one single bit of what I said was directed at any of the current participants on the thread yet you seem to think I am attacking you all. I am not. (It was not directed at Annmarie either by the way just in case you make that supposition)

reply to post by ButterCookie

The difference is that the thread author seems to deny and attempt to debunk even factual info that other members post (probably because he didn't post it 1st)

Keeping the pressure up eh? I have a handle. I do not debunk factual information, but I am not going to argue the toss with you.

The point is that I find I find it very immature to do so, when all we are doing is collaborating on general, sometimes specific earthquake discussion, just to have the thread's author come in to divert the attention elsewhere if he is not the 'original' quake finder'.

If you seriously think that at my age I could be bothered with that you are much mistaken, that is just pathetic. If I wanted to be first with all the quakes I probably could be but most of the time I cannot be troubled to get it all together and post when I know some else will within a minute or two and in many respects (which you will probably misunderstand) it does not interest me. It is not a competition and you do not score points for getting the info there first.

I shall not comment on the rest of it because it is not worth the effort. If you choose not to understand what I say then that is your prerogative.

Peace to all of you, including you buttercookie. I am not one to ever hold a grudge so as far as I am concerned this little contretemps is done and dusted. Let's get on with the thread.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Even though I can see where BC is coming from, I have to say that I fully respect and defend PM's input and responses in this thread, based on purely SCIENTIFIC and researched information.

Having said that, it's fairly obvious that PM doesn't much go for unscientific 'theories' and certainly not 'conspiracies (HAARP, earthquake weapons, psychic predictions etc), and that's probably where some of us don't appreciate being written off as loons or whatever, which is what it sometimes feels like when we share 'other' possibilities.

In my earlier years (upto 40), I certainly adhered to only the scientific viewpoint, but I've had/have too many really non-scientific experiencees in my life, that I've seriously come to question the black & white that 'scientist' all want us to believe in. I also believe that you can't isolate what goes on in the world/cosmos into separate boxes, and not consider the 'possibilities' of how they interact with each other...especially the solar system moving through the universe and its gases, dust etc.

At least PM has lately been giving us some warnings about the sun, and though not alarmist (yet), he has got me WORRIED. Please stop scaring me PM!

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I'm not seeing any reported aftershocks yet from yesterday's 6.0 quake in Cascadia?

This concerns me, especially considering the depth of yesterday quake.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Whoa, Nellie!!!
I came in here this morning & had to go check the calendar. I thought it was full moon! Maybe it's not my place to stick my proboscis in, since I only came out of lurking a little less than a year ago. But being probably one of the older posters here, & my only real regret in life was one time when I didn't step into a situation, I feel the need to give a little motherly/grandmotherly advice!

This gave me flashbacks to when all five of our kids were still at home, in the same room, right after a big 'sugar' laden holiday!!! Ahhhh!!!
Maybe it was all the Valentine's candy & booze yesterday?!

That being said, there is a certain 'static' in the air. We on the 'experimental' thread have been feeling it for awhile now.
Nerves are on edge. People who don't even believe in an earthquake connection are feeling 'something'!

My great uncle's favorite saying was, "The main thing is, not to get excited!" In my whole life I never saw him with his feathers ruffled! He knew more was accomplished with a clear head & calm thinking!
I have a great story of how he walked quietly in one time, solved some 'experts' dilemma, & then walked quietly back out again! But I'll spare everybody that!

Surely, you've all had tough teachers over the years, or co-workers that you didn't see eye to eye with! You have to understand there are different personality types. (Thank goodness!) What if we were all Stepford Posters? We would never learn anything new!
I've known very few people in my life that were intentionally mean spirited! You can usually spot them a mile away.
People need thicker skins. Everyone takes everything so personally these days, even a couple of our kids. They can take anything & make it negative! I don't know where it comes from!

It's like I told them: You can't walk around all the time with your panties in a bunch....it only ends up hurting you!!!

I hope all of us here are mature enough not to have our feelings hurt by an offhand comment, or something we might have taken the wrong way. The printed word can sometimes be misconstrued, even with emoticons!!! A little bruising doesn't hurt, if it's all in fun, & we learn something! And I like a little spice now & then to shake me out of my complacency!
Which lecture did you remember from school the longest? The one given by a professor in a boring, droning monotone that never made you think? Or the one that used inflection & funny stories to emphasize his points, maybe even yelled to wake you up, & got you to think for yourself?

I love you all! We all need each other! Life is sooo short! Some of us could be gone tomorrow!
That being said: You kids post nice together, or you're not allowed on ATS for a week!!!

In peace, love & fun!
WOQ

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by wasobservingquietly

That's not observing quietly!
(I had to!)

I respect the opinions of everyone, that being said, i've not ever felt offended by PM, but I don't stick my neck out too much in my few years of posting, i'm not one for the Haarp conspiracies myself though)

But, I'll say this - The kids don't like it when the parents fight! I know you both enjoy a debate, and the CSZ is one of our main topics we've all fallen back of going on 'what ifs' for as long as i've been here, and now we finally have some goings on, we are getting a little crazy! Let's just enjoy the debate, and when/if it stops (the quakes I mean), go back to the witty banter that we all enjoy so much.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
VIVA Putterman;
Please do proceed as usual.

If the trigger of this 'event' was my remarks about Oregon;
Please do not see it as a Dooms Day Flag.

I was not only referring to the few more than usual Earthquakes; but also about Volcanic activity (i.e. Undersea erruption in April 2011), animal deaths, UFO/USO sightings and sounds in the Sky. Though as I said in that posting "The Jury is still out". - it only seem there are more 'news' coming from that West Coast area than usual.

edit on 15/2/2012 by Aromaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Sorry folks. Thanks and sorry and PLEASE let us put this to bed now.

Just to take your mind OFF, or should that be ON the subject, whilst I had no internet since I last posted and it just came back, here are some loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooog graphs to take your mind off/on it.

This is the southern half of the Cascade area from W/O border down to North Cali.

First mag six quakes from 1990 to 2011 (All these are the same date range and all sourced from ANSS)

And here are the mag 7s

Now you will see the reason for the colours

And finally an entry for every week in the date range show as a magnitude equivalent, i.e the energy added up and turned back into a magnitude. This is long, very long!! I think you can see however that what is happening now is not actually out of sync with what has been happening in the past 20 years.

edit on 15/2/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Probably a bit late coming in with comments on the Northern California and Oregon 5.7 and 5.8 but.......

yes I said 5.8 because thats what all the indications showing;
I believe Puterman already mentioned the Moment Tensors show 5.8Mw and 5.9Mw for it, yet the USGS Recent quakes page still shows it as 6.0
I had a look at the arrival times (inconvienient that USGS have only published the phase data in the last 2 hours, and I wonder why that is?) calculated using the Arrival Time Calculator and comparing with 3 LISS graphs I saved
I've marked the graphs with the arrival times and distances from that quake, and several others for comparison.
The file is too big to load to ATS so here it is offsite 3 graphs for Oregon

and besides Geofon had 5.7 manually confirmed
and the Russians had just 5.2mb [19] compared to the USGS mb = 5.4 ( 33) ML = 4.8 ( 60)

making a 4.8ML into a 6.0Mw is not logical

edit on 15-2-2012 by muzzy because: I was going to say making a 4.8ML into a 6.0Mw is not possible, but anything is possible with USGS

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

You have a point there with the graphs muzzy. I was wondering why they did not show on my home page much and of course it must be because it really is NOT a 6.0.

I noticed 4.8ML to 6.0
and ignored it!!

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I haven't seen a 3.5+ so close to San Francisco in some time.

This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
Magnitude
Date-Time
Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 02:09:14 UTC
Wednesday, February 15, 2012 at 06:09:14 PM at epicenter
Depth
9.3 km (5.8 miles)
Region
SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA, CALIFORNIA
Distances
3 km (2 miles) NNW (341°) from Crockett, CA
4 km (3 miles) S (176°) from Vallejo, CA
5 km (3 miles) NNE (28°) from Rodeo, CA
31 km (19 miles) N (359°) from Oakland, CA

USGS

Ps. Not a doom post, just an observation.
edit on 15/2/12 by murkraz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Disconnected Sociopath

Thats because it wasn't a 6.0 it was a 4.8ML

see that graph in my post above for the station COR and here is the line in the phase data

sta phase arrival res dist azm amp per mag
COR ePn 03:32:09.23 -0.6 3.1 69 L:6.0+0 1.3[color=00FF00] 4.8

USGS are getting into the wool business (pulling the wool over peoples eyes)

edit on 15-2-2012 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Hi Puterman. First let me say, l seldom post anymore, l prefer to just star and flag. "Quake Watch" is a place l visit most days, l value your opinions as l do several of the posters on here, which includes "westcoast" and others. Your comments about looking into the suns activity is really relevant. lt interconnects with what is happening to our planet and gives us an insight into what is happening to our planet today. l am sure there are others such as myself that don't comment but watch and learn such as myself. Please don't get disheartened by the the few who wish to derail you and your knowledge.

Peace starchild.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by murkraz

Thanks...

Good idea on the 'P.S.' note; otherwise, you're obviously spouting DOOM when you list or discuss quakes...

on an earthquake thread...

That is, unless you are the OP.

edit on 15-2-2012 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie

Thanks...

Good idea on the 'P.S.' note; otherwise, you're obviously spouting DOOM when you list or discuss quakes...

Not spouting doom, just making an observation, as I've always done on this thread.

Generally we'll post a hefty 5+ magnitude or quake(s) that seem out of the ordinary, or those that warrant suspicion or a mental note. Just doing my part on keeping everyone up to date. Do the same if you wish, just let's not derail this thread again.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by star child
reply to post by PuterMan

Hi Puterman. First let me say, l seldom post anymore, l prefer to just star and flag. "Quake Watch" is a place l visit most days, l value your opinions as l do several of the posters on here, which includes "westcoast" and others. Your comments about looking into the suns activity is really relevant. lt interconnects with what is happening to our planet and gives us an insight into what is happening to our planet today. l am sure there are others such as myself that don't comment but watch and learn such as myself. Please don't get disheartened by the the few who wish to derail you and your knowledge.

Peace starchild.

And guess what? Many ATS'ers enjoy this thread, like myself, but chose not to comment because of the very things I have been mentioning today.

Puterman has stated some very factual things, and I appreciate the knowledge shared. But when Puterman attempts to take the slightest it of attention away from someone else's quake information, the mood and morale of the thread goes down, and that should be of concern

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie

Thanks...

Not spouting doom, just making an observation, as I've always done on this thread.

Generally we'll post a hefty 5+ magnitude or quake(s) that seem out of the ordinary, or those that warrant suspicion or a mental note. Just doing my part on keeping everyone up to date. Do the same if you wish, just let's not derail this thread again.

I was being sarcastic.....you know that when you are not the OP and you post quake info, you are said to be fearmongering and creating unneccessary panic.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

Have you got a burr under your saddle or something?

Give it up. It is over and done with.
edit on 15/2/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join