It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2012

page: 219
<< 216  217  218    220  221  222 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by newsoul

I think he was asking if it just happened?

The 2 I am looking at look far apart....one is Yellowstone (3.7) the other is Dillon Montana (2.5)...they don't look like they have anything to do with each other...but I certainly don't know.

I wonder if there is anything more up to date than USGS?

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

I usually just use the site that I linked. Since USGS changed their website I don't like it as much. I am still showing 2 as well.

I hope someone who knows a bit more about this shows up soon, seems odd that they aren't already here....

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Try this link if you want to see what is going on at Yellow Stone,
www.quake.utah.edu...

ETA- never mind can't see much there right now. It has bled over or needs to be adjusted or something.

Calling TA!!! Did all this finally make you go cross eyed?

edit on 5-9-2012 by Doodle19815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

Sent him a message...where is he???

I hope he didn't make a run for it!!!

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Thank you for the link..

That could bring on a migraine...looking at all that!

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

just two so far that i can see

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

I believe that the magma chamber is under the area near Dillon. Do you have any idea how much magma is in that chamber?

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Hey been reading this post for a while. Great Info!! Have a question for you knowledgeable folks out there.

There are three earthquakes (9-05-12) in the mid range Santa Cruz 6.0 Gulf of Aden 4.9 Costa Rica 7.6
When you look at them on a world map it almost makes a straight line

Any revelance?

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by prophetboy12

None what so ever. I am still so new to all of this. Obviously it isn't that big a deal or else the big guys would have chimed in by now.

If you want you can follow this monster, www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by FreebirdGirl

Probably not as world maps tend to be flat. They are more use to us that way.

Unfortunately despite what the Flat Earth Society may say the world is an oblate spheroid, and straight lines on flat maps probably do not stay straight on spheres. In this case it is not far out I will admit.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   

More than enough to go round! This National Geographic article give you the presumed size and location (deepest below Wisdom) and the possible eruptive content - 360 cubic km which actually quite small as to produce another VEI 8 it would need to spit out 1000 cubic km.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   

I think you missed the point. I am fully aware of SpaceWeather.com. Dr Tony Phillips works for NASA and he and they use a system of counting that does not give an accurate comparison to historical records - the Wolf method.

That is why I use Landscheidt - Layman's Sunspot Count.

That said there is NO huge increase in any of the current specks that spaceweather choose to call sunspots.

Three regions counted with overall area decreasing by a significant amount. Region 1565 failing the 24 hour rule with all records adjusted. A very large speck ratio with Catania counting 41 pores in region 1564. The DSN graph has been updated and continues to show a decline

Layman's Sunspot Count

Spaceweather as far as I am concerned is the RSOE of the space world. The other half looks at it, nut I won't go there.

edit on 6/9/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzy
Well Geonet NZ has gone and done a USGS

totally changed their web site and its pretty useless now.
this is the changes they have made info.geonet.org.nz...

So the catalog stopped on 31st August and won't restart until Jan 2013

WTF?

that totally brings to a screeching halt what I have been doing since 2009 with my NZ Earthquakes blog.
All I can do now is download the last 30 quakes as often as I can and hope I don't miss too many.

What a shambles.

They have come up with a Timemap, last 250 quakes geonet.org.nz...

I don't like it
edit on 5-9-2012 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

Not only is the map rubbish, they are lying. Looking at the page source it uses "/quakes/services/quakes/all.json" and that file is their pathetic offering for the last 30 quakes so there is no way it can ever show 250. (Or is this an indication that perhaps this json file will change?)(I hate json by the way - _javascript rubbish)

As folks will have gathered from Muzzy's post GeoNet have pooped on the research and scientific community from a great height in favour of the "OMG earthquake, earthquake" crowd who basically are not interested in anything but the particular piece of shy that is currently falling.

I have had to spend the whole of yesterday evening and this morning re-writing the program to cope with their paltry offering. You may rest assured that I have told them in no uncertain terms of what I think of their totally unprofessional way of implementing change. Sara Page of GeoNet probably has a headache and won't turn up for work today (tomorrow NZ time)

Never in 30 years of programming and IT management have I come across such a cack-handed ill advised and completely unthoughtout change over. Kudos to USGS, they at least did the job properly.

The fact that in a swarm period this pathetic 30 event allowance could be used up in under an hour seems to have totally escaped them. Apart from Muzzy and myself who use this data there are several others who use it including Global Incident. I don't suppose that any of them are too happy with the plug being pulled in this way.

There is absolutely no way that I would GeoNet in charge of a piss up in a brewery. Pathetic!

edit on 6/9/2012 by PuterMan because: Darn it can I not get just ONE post without a spelling error? Humph!

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJockey1

Ah ha, I suspected as much.

No wonder it is completely sensational and wrong.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I've mentioned this before and I just don't know where else to mention it.

It's been nothing for months but suddenly I feel trembling in the ground again.

Is there a site that determines even slight activity? After everything I was feeling last year I would just ignore this but today I got extremely sleepy and took a nap. I woke up feeling very strange. I don't want to get into it but it was nothing unpleasant at all, just out of the ordinary and pretty pronounced. I will mention that it felt like someone had their finger inside my rib cage and was feeling around deep in my chest but it didn't hurt. It is very hard to describe but I must mention this because something definitely strange has been happening and I have not even taken so much as Tylenol. There is no way that this can be a side effect of anything... at all. I felt compelled to get up and do something but wasn't sure of what, just noticed that my water jug is almost empty and noticed that even though it's still hot as summer here, it feels like fall has begun... or that some of those weird endorphins are kicking up. I just have a very strange feeling and I keep feeling the ground tremble. I'm in the southeast US. Try sitting in the car (only if there is no wind) or maybe even sit on something hard, like the toilet and see if you notice it.

ok, I won't go on about it anymore. I'll go read about what the hell is going on in Syria.

I just have the feeling something strange is afoot.
edit on 6-9-2012 by NotAnAspie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by NotAnAspie

This is the best I can do for you,

folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu...

Believe it or not my a/c rattles my house when it kicks on. It use to scare me until I had it serviced and they asked me if I had noticed it.
I swore to my hubby that I was feeling earthquakes.

(this was also before I had found ATS and the quake info)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doodle19815
reply to post by NotAnAspie

This is the best I can do for you,

folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu...

Believe it or not my a/c rattles my house when it kicks on. It use to scare me until I had it serviced and they asked me if I had noticed it.
I swore to my hubby that I was feeling earthquakes.

(this was also before I had found ATS and the quake info)

Well, looking at that it sure doesn't seem impossible there may be some slight rumbling around here. Thanks for the link.

As for my AC, it doesn't kick on an off because of how the thermostat is currently, when it does... I mean just when the compressor kicks on and the fan was already running, it is EXTREMELY noticeable. I wouldn't miss it, it is right above me.

Just a minute ago I felt such noticeable swaying and heard rattling I got up to see if the wind was blowing but it is bone still... the sky is very clear, the milky way is visible and I saw 3 meteors in the few minutes I was out there. Pretty cool sky tonight.

I guess I will just wait and see if anything happens with this rumbling.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Surface quake ????

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Magnitude
Date-Time
Friday, September 07, 2012 at 07:03:10 UTC
Friday, September 07, 2012 at 12:03:10 AM at epicenter
Depth
0 km (~0 mile) (poorly constrained)
Region
GREATER LOS ANGELES AREA, CALIFORNIA
Distances
0 km (0 miles) W (275°) from Beverly Hills, CA
2 km (1 miles) NE (38°) from Century City, CA
3 km (2 miles) WSW (240°) from West Hollywood, CA
14 km (9 miles) NNW (338°) from Inglewood, CA
14 km (9 miles) W (278°) from Los Angeles Civic Center, CA
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 0.3 km (0.2 miles); depth +/- 0.7 km (0.4 miles)
Parameters
Nph=108, Dmin=1 km, Rmss=0.48 sec, Gp= 36°,
M-type=local magnitude (ML), Version=1
edit on 7/30/2012 by dreamfox1 because: earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

off the coast of S America.....5.2

2 5.6s in China

earthquake.usgs.gov...
edit on 7-9-2012 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

Not an earthquake...but worth keeping an eye on:

Pressure in Mount Fuji is now higher than last eruption, warn experts

www.wired.co.uk...
edit on 7-9-2012 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
A series of earthquakes has hit south-west China, leaving at least 50 people dead and 150 injured, state-run media say.

The quakes struck the border of Yunnan and Guizhou provinces, with the largest felt at 11:19 Beijing time (03:19 GMT), Xinhua news agency said.

The US Geological Survey registered the two strongest of the series of quakes at 5.6 magnitude.

www.bbc.co.uk...

new topics

top topics

<< 216  217  218    220  221  222 >>

join