It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2012

page: 222
<< 219  220  221    223  224  225 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas

Magnitude mb 5.6
Region CRETE, GREECE
Date time 2012-09-12 03:27:44.0 UTC
Location 34.74 N ; 24.02 E
Depth 20 km

EMSC

It woke me up.. lasted about 20 seconds
edit on 11-9-2012 by Hellas because: (no reason given)

I was just looking at that and thinking about the report about the island had been rising due to the magma beneath it.
Stay safe!

A new survey suggests that the chamber of molten rock beneath Santorini's volcano expanded 10-20 million cubic metres – up to 15 times the size of London's Olympic Stadium – between January 2011 and April 2012. The growth of this 'balloon' of magma has seen the surface of the island rise 8-14 centimetres during this period, a team led by Oxford University scientists has found. The results come from an expedition, funded by the UK's Natural Environment Research Council, which used satellite radar images and Global Positioning System receivers (GPS) that can detect movements of the Earth's surface of just a few millimetres.

www.sfakia-crete.com...,6721

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Thx dude!

We hear a strange noise here lately.. No not the infamous waterphone fakes. It's like a dull 'roar' like a bomber is flying above, but there is nothing in the skies. It only last a couple of seconds and repeats itself many times. not everyday though..

I don't know if that's related

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

After reading that article yesterday, my volcano RADAR certainly went off when I saw that quake alert pop-up!

Certainly potential for something significant to happen there, that's for sure.

I feel it in my old bones that with all these volcano 'reawakenings of late, that something BIG is going to BLOW soon, and it ain't going to be pretty at all (or maybe it will). I mean something has to happen before 21 Dec 2012, right?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Thx dude!

We hear a strange noise here lately.. No not the infamous waterphone fakes. It's like a dull 'roar' like a bomber is flying above, but there is nothing in the skies. It only last a couple of seconds and repeats itself many times. not everyday though..

Nah, that's just HAARP mate. Nothing to worry about

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceJockey1

Thx dude!

Nah, that's just HAARP mate. Nothing to worry about

Well ok then!

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   

from your link

The growth of this 'balloon' of magma has seen the surface of the island rise 8-14 centimetres during this period, a team led by Oxford University scientists has found.

I heard that here in the local news, too. That is mind boggling

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   

from your link

The growth of this 'balloon' of magma has seen the surface of the island rise 8-14 centimetres during this period, a team led by Oxford University scientists has found.

I heard that here in the local news, too. That is mind boggling

I bet that someone is going to say the sun is setting in a different place from there also.
Kind of funny,but if you live there not really that funny.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   

I bet that someone is going to say the sun is setting in a different place from there also.
Kind of funny,but if you live there not really that funny.

We're talking about one of the largest volcanic events on Earth in recorded history. Which could happen again.. So nah, not that funny.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Muzzy et al

I just woke-up and felt what I'd guess was about a 1.0-2.0 quake in the SW's 4 Corners area.

USGS doesn't seem to go that low in magnitude. Where could I find out if any stations recorded such a quake?

I'm guessing from my Taiwan experience of many quakes about the magnitude.

I don't think the quake woke me but it might have. I think my full bladder woke me and I felt the quake immediately after realizing I was awake.

Quakes are extremely rare for this area. That's why I'm more than a little curious to see if it registered anywhere.

I see Utah has had several low magnitude quakes in the last week.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Actually, it does go that low, you just need to reset the map at the Data Feed drop menu for "7 Days, All". I generally reset the Earthquakes to Display to "All", and reset the Earthquake Age to "0.0-1.0" (basically, the past 24 hours) It took me months to realize that the smaller quakes were still there, just hidden under the "All" option.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

I did reset it to that and saw no change nor refresh indications.

What did I do wrong?

I tried every way I could think of to get my changed setting to register and alter things.

edit:

I tried it again and it seemed to hold to 7 days all through a refresh. Still no indication of a quake in the region. Not sure what I felt, then. No sonic boom or anything. No heavy machinery nearby. No fracking going on nearby. No wind. Strange. I'd still say, based on my Taiwan experience, that it was a quake of about that magnitude. I wasn't dreaming--I had just awakened and was not that groggy. Curious.

edit on 12/9/2012 by BO XIAN because: addition

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Not good Bo.

Keep us up to date on what you experience??

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Earthquakes Hazards Learn Prepare Monitoring Research M3.0 - 5km WSW of Volcano, Hawaii 2012-09-12 07:08:07 UTC

Volcano seems to be the word today.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
What about the 2 in Nevada...are they unusual?

M3.9 - 40km NE of Winnemucca, Nevada 2012-09-11 05:55:16 UTC

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

M4.2 - 21km W of Adamas, Greece 2012-09-12 05:00:24 UTC

What is this near?

Is that the Crete one you posted or different?
edit on 12-9-2012 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by JediDawn
Hello People,

I rarely post just normally lurk and soak up the info, so please go easy with me. I have previously asked about very shallow quakes, and although I don't post about all of them, I was hoping someone could help me out with this one :
3.9 40km NE of Winnemucca, Nevada 2012-09-11 05:55:16 41.265°N 117.453°W 0.0 [depth] USGS

earthquake.usgs.gov...

This is what the USGS says now, although it happened many hours ago. Then I found a newspaper article ( I know, I know, unreliable)

latimesblogs.latimes.com...

which states that the info they got from USGS was the depth was 2.5 miles.

I've looked at it on google earth and it appears to be in a small desert/mountainous region (I'm rubbish with google earth/maps I am trying to learn).

So my questions are: which are the most accurate sites to use for cross referencing quakes, both for depth and size?
Second one is not earthquake related, but you guys are more experienced than me at google earth
- what are the round green things near the quake? If you zoom out there are quite a few of them. I have been told that these are crop fields for precision agriculture, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Hi JediDawn,

as no-one's answered you yet I'll chip in.

I've quoted your whole post so I can refer to it more easily.

Regarding the depth of that quake, the LA Times report may have been based on the first info that came in, and such data is often subject to revision. So although there is that depth discrepancy it's not a major issue. (Even at 2.5 miles it would be classed as very shallow.)

For accuracy in cross referencing, it very much depends on where in the world the quake is. The USGS would probably like to be seen as the best reference but there are various other agencies round the world that also provide pretty good data, especially within their own region or networks. For quakes like that one in the Nevada, though, the USGS is a good choice. Even if we cross-reference to the Nevada Seismological Lab's "Latest Quakes" page here and scroll down to find that event, it's listed by them as depth "0.0 km" as well.

Yes, those round green things off to the east from the quake (on Google Earth) are crops. They irrigate the crops by sprinkler systems and it's most efficient in this case to set them up to cover circular areas, so, having the room, they do.

Best regards,

Mike

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   

reply to post by timetothink

Quakes are not unusual in Nevada, though ones in the mag 3 range are less common. But if you check the regional quake map from the NV Seismological Laboratory (link is in my post above this one), you'll see they have quakes on a daily basis.

Regards,

Mike

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

reply to post by BO XIAN

Hi Bo,

if you'd like to check some of the latest seismo traces for Arizona you can go to this page at the Arizona Geological Survey, where they host a clickable map.

I didn't notice anything recorded there for the past day but it's still worth checking if you sense anything similar again. And yes, quakes of any size are not very common in AZ.

Regards,

Mike

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

Thanks. It's a mystery to me. Haven't found anyone else reporting such awareness. Maybe they all slept through it.

Maybe some other dimensional force swept through the single wide. LOL.

Stumps me.

Thanks for your kind reply.

Will let you know if I find anyone else who felt the same thing.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

GREAT RESOURCE.

THANKS

I wasn't aware of it. Interesting to see a station on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

There's some wild prediction I came across somewhere that claimed the South Rim was going to end up mushed up against the North Rim . . . including the Hoover Dam area.

Blessings,

new topics

top topics

<< 219  220  221    223  224  225 >>

join