It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South American Trading Block (Mercosur) Agree to Block British Soverign Flagged Vessels into their P

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by MagicianYoh

You say the Falklands is Argentinian but based on what? Sounds to me like you think it should be Argentinian because it lies 400 miles off your coast, but it also lies about the same off Chilies coast, why are they not claiming it?

You also ignore the fact that Faulkland Islanders have lived there since before Argentina existed as a country. We have only been lucky enough to have maybe two Argentinians post about this subject which is a shame, but neither of you have given any argument as to why the Falklands belongs to Argentina aside from the fact it is in relative close proximity.

The British are never going to give it up as long as the people want to stay British and the Argentines have no real argument to take it diplomatically and certainly no ability to take it by force. Why can't your nation just accept this and get on with sorting out your own failing economy?

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tiradentes
reply to post by stumason

Ok, I am not an expert in maps, but I am familiar with the positions of the countries. And I say americans in general.
It can be a desolated island or whatever.
But think if this island was near to your country or continent, and Argentina went there to dominate. What do you think your government would do??
You to think through the others point of view too. Not only yours.
Ok that you were already rich, but those explorations gave a boost to UK economy.
One more thing, do not be so blind loyal to your country. It is not good for you.

You mean like the Faroe Islands that is owned by Denmark?

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by newyorkee
reply to post by Trueman

I wouldnt say they want to see them defeated.....who in that statement?.....the british people?....most dont care that the island is full of british people, Argentinian or not....the flavor is war.....and it is bitter

I certainly mean the rest of the world, excluding a few countries that you can count with the fingers of one hand.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

The handful being the 61 nations that are either in the British commonwealth or have recently applied to be.

Or the 27 Member states of the EU of which the UK is a figure head

Or even the 28 member states of NATO of which the UK had a major hand in founding

That is befofre we even talk about any of our trading partners that are not in any of those lists.

There is a reason why the US likes to keep its relationship cozy with the UK, that is because the UK is one of the most politically connected nations in the world and can influence many nations other major powers cannot. Do some research before you make unfounded statements like that one. Hand full of nations my arse.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by OceanGeek

Originally posted by andy1972
The Argentine president says the Falklands are taking their fish and the oil??
What IS she talking about?
I also had to laugh at the "The malvinas is not a South American cause, its a global cause" phrase...Yup, it's right up there with Palestine, Ethiopia, the Sudan etc etc etc

And what grievance does Uruguay have with the UK??

All these third world countries should remember who sends help everytime they have an earthquake and not side with a nation bitter over the #ing good thrashing it recieved 30 yers ago.
Whats done is done and an infantil Argentine government should stop harping on about it.

Since when does Uruguay have earthquakes? Can you remind me of this event?

I did'nt state Uruguay specifically, i spoke of Latin America as a whole. Whenever theres a natural disaster such as that in Chile, Great Britan Always sends aid.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by southbeach
reply to post by Trueman

So you would like to see innocent islanders slaughtered,disowned and humiliated so you could get a sense of satisfaction that the long dead empire got a slap.Why don't you want the downfall of South America then?The Spanish colonials were about as caveman as they come,ask the Mayans.No chance of the prodigious peoples of latin America getting their land back is there?.I don't see the Uruguayans mentioning that on their agenda.

No, I just said what is the real situation. I was in south america in 1982 and I understood well what was that war about.

Just to mention one more thing taking in consideration, most of the argentinian population were against that war in 1982. Today the situation is different, in those days Argentina's president was Videla, a dictador. Now the president is Cristina Fernandez, just re-elected and she has the support of most of the people in her country.

Just think about it.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

Those are sold out.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   

The Argentine president says the Falklands are taking their fish and the oil??
What IS she talking about?
I also had to laugh at the "The malvinas is not a South American cause, its a global cause" phrase...Yup, it's right up there with Palestine, Ethiopia, the Sudan etc etc etc

And what grievance does Uruguay have with the UK??

All these third world countries should remember who sends help everytime they have an earthquake and not side with a nation bitter over the #ing good thrashing it recieved 30 yers ago.
Whats done is done and an infantil Argentine government should stop harping on about it.

Since when does Uruguay have earthquakes? Can you remind me of this event?

I did'nt state Uruguay specifically, i spoke of Latin America as a whole. Whenever theres a natural disaster such as that in Chile, Great Britan Always sends aid.

Yes thats right they do, in fact Britain sends more aid to foreign nations (% of GDP) than any other nation in the world. The nasty British, who do they think they are giving away 0.7% of the national production to other nations that need it more down to their own free will. Who do they think they are fooling, we all know it is just in their grand plan to recolonise the world with the New British Empire Order.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Originally posted by MagicianYoh
I read ATS forum since 2009, but this is the first time I posted something, ahem...

Then allow me to welcome a long time lurker with a point by point disection of why you are talking out of your arse

LOL

Could you stop beating around the bush, im not quite sure what your trying to say !!:lol
edit on 22-12-2011 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman
reply to post by michael1983l

Those are sold out.

Thank you for highlighting your opinion as not worthy of anything.

As clearly half the world has sold out to the UK

edit on 22-12-2011 by michael1983l because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman

Originally posted by southbeach
reply to post by Trueman

So you would like to see innocent islanders slaughtered,disowned and humiliated so you could get a sense of satisfaction that the long dead empire got a slap.Why don't you want the downfall of South America then?The Spanish colonials were about as caveman as they come,ask the Mayans.No chance of the prodigious peoples of latin America getting their land back is there?.I don't see the Uruguayans mentioning that on their agenda.

No, I just said what is the real situation. I was in south america in 1982 and I understood well what was that war about.

Just to mention one more thing taking in consideration, most of the argentinian population were against that war in 1982. Today the situation is different, in those days Argentina's president was Videla, a dictador. Now the president is Cristina Fernandez, just re-elected and she has the support of most of the people in her country.

Just think about it.

And she is being supported by a British bank that she appointed

Hence why her gov came very close to being indited

Hmmm.. perhaps you should tell her to dump the British bank and go look for help from the IMF wolves that the Paris Club are close to setting on Argentina.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by newyorkee
reply to post by smugmushroom

I think everyone should be content with what they have and stop looking to the world to supply an inefficient system of waste and military spending.....yes, the US should leave where not invited.....logic.....no one has a right outside their home...

the reason why this thread has become a US vs UK thing is because no one wants to admit that they profit from the missery of others.....and have to find technicality to justify being outside their own borders in force and in the process of extracting wealth from another persons land....

yes no one was there.....but all of Europe left their colonies in one way or the other because it wasnt conducive to progress....to much resentment on the table to get anything done....look at the US now....we are paying the price of our empire.....so are the brits.....just be honest.....its not because its right.....its just necesary....
edit on 21-12-2011 by newyorkee because: (no reason given)

Actually, of all the European Empires, the UK handled the transition of power better than the rest. Yes, there were mistakes but generally the Commonwealth countries moved to independence peacefully and with far more infrastructure (roads, schools, hospitals, railways, ports, etc) in place than nations that were not part of the British Empire.

Indeed, in some Commonwealth countries there is a belief that the worst thing to happen was full independence. I will give an example of this. A couple of years ago i was in Jamaica for the cricket. A local radio show was having a programme about the colonial past. Many older people were ringing in to say how the country has gone down hill since independence and they would be very happy to see Britain assuming control once again. Only a couple of people rang in to disagree with this. It was actually one of those surreal moments in life - i didn't intend listening to the full show as i was on holiday but it kind of just sucked me in to a situation i had never even imagined before. It was the kind of thing where you can't quite believe what you are hearing / seeing.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki

Originally posted by Flavian

Originally posted by Vitchilo
reply to post by Flavian

What the hell are you talking about?

The queen rules the UK. The UK ``owns`` the Falkland islands. Pretty simple.

I don't think you understand the issue to be honest. You started on an anti-British slant for some islands that were never inhabited until we went there - yes, that means no natives. Therefore the question of empire and colonies is actually redundant and makes you look rather foolish.

Good effort though. Well done.

You're absolutely sure about that?
Who do you mean by 'we'? The Brits?
What about the French and Spanish?
Britain has always employed gunboat diplomacy regarding the Malvinas.

The French and Spanish went there. The British left a permanent settlement. So yes, my point stands.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

I recall that there has been some overwhelming support in Jamaica for closer ties to the UK in recent times. Apparently there was a recent vote where 60% voted in favour of a return to a colony.

caymannewsservice.com...

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

I have heard and read the same in other places during my travels, including reading an article from an old Yemeni Leader who wanted to apologise from fighting against us as he now considered it a mistake, and wouldn't deem it bad if we considered returning

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Yemen recently applied for inclusion back into the British Commonwealth.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tiradentes
reply to post by stumason

Ok, I am not an expert in maps, but I am familiar with the positions of the countries. And I say americans in general.
It can be a desolated island or whatever.
But think if this island was near to your country or continent, and Argentina went there to dominate. What do you think your government would do??
You to think through the others point of view too. Not only yours.
Ok that you were already rich, but those explorations gave a boost to UK economy.
One more thing, do not be so blind loyal to your country. It is not good for you.

The Fact the Falklands HAVE NEVER EVER been part of Argentina and are over 400miles out at sea, not even in there territorial waters leaves Argentina without a leg to stand on unfortunately, Argentina has only ever been interested in them since British Company's made the discovery of oil, to which the British government offered a joint deal with the Argies to drill, they refused, what a stupid move, so looks like they're going to have to grab the islands from us from our cold dead hands, because we sure as # wont be so generous with them ever again, i think thats more then obvious,

Oh and by the way just because an Island is closer to you then someone else that doesn't automatically make it yours, just saying

Oh and as for the "THERE STEALING OUR FISH RESOURCES" comment

You got to be joking???, the Pacific to the west and Atlantic to the east and the rich Antarctic Oceans to the south, there is absolutely no way you Argentinians have eaten that much fish, don't be so ridiculous, if you can't find fish in millions of square miles of rich oceans you guys may aswel call it a day, because thats thousands of times more then what other nations has got to feed themselves you guys must be idiots

And as for OIL, well.. for a start, YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR LAZY ARSES AND LOOK FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There has been plenty of times the UK has offered Argentina to come along on Oil expeditions in the region but as far as i can see they can't be bothered to look for it, they just seem to want the reserves British company's find,

edit on 22-12-2011 by BRITWARRIOR because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-12-2011 by BRITWARRIOR because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
At the end of the day The UK Gov offered the Argentinian Gov a fair share in mineral and oil extraction, to which they refused. If they want to go and whine to their South American friends, that's up to them. The people of the Island believe themselves to be be British, the Argentinians claim to the Island is invalid and spurious, and a throwback to Spanish Imperialism, a far more brutal Empire than the British Empire ever was, there were never any indigenous people on the islands, So Argentina needs to accept that the islands will never be theirs unless the population of the Islands decide this. I would personally be happy to share the resources with Argentina, which the UK offered, it's the Argentinian Governments fault if they turned down a perfectly reasonable solution, but the UK ends up being the Imperialists, utter nonsense. It would've given their economy a much needed boost, and brought our two countries closer together, something that is needed, but they decided to be pig headed about it. The Falkland Islands are not Argentinian. Like I've said before, I have no problem at all with the Argentinians, apart from Diego Maradona and his hand ball at the '86 world cup, great people, just this complete inability to accept the facts. :-)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by newyorkee

Kind of the point though, no? This is one of the few cases around the world where there were NO natives. Therefore, under International Law, it really is a case "it's ours because we have a flag in it".

If the people the populate the Islands (from British stock) decide they wish to belong to Argentina then fine, that is their right. However, they don't - they wish to remain British.

Any other argument is really redundant against that.

How do you know that? Did they vote on it? (Serious question.) Can you provide a link?

Do not know how to do technical stuff on the web but as a simple source check out wikipedia and Falkland Isles sovereignty disputes. Or better still, check out the Falkland Islands own government website (yes, they have their own government).

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I have a vague recollection of something I was told happend in the 80's
Old maggie t was at a worlds head of state meeting ( forget where when or with whom )
Where a number of world leaders were complaining about uprisings, revolution, and civil wars to which maggie piped up
You know the problem with you countries .........you were never colonised by the British.........to which they had no comeback , shut up and wound their necks in
Now the world has changed a bit and I doubt she could say the same now but still.....rather astute by maggie

So by some comments here lets all pack up shop and frag off back to Africa where we ALL come from and give the earth back to nature

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join