It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South American Trading Block (Mercosur) Agree to Block British Soverign Flagged Vessels into their P

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman
My friends, this is not about who is the legal owner of the Malvinas/Falklands.

You're right, this is about the Oil which has been known about since the 1960's (Funnily enough, about when Argentina started to make noises.....hmmm....suspicious?)

Argentina will always find support about this one,

Because then Brazil can go after French Guyana and other countries can do the same with whomever they like, such as Iran with Bahrain, or China with Taiwan or the Spratleys.

that's because nobody likes the british imperialism and most of people want to see them be defeated at least one time.

This is hardly "imperialism" though. And yes, people would love to beat us, but it won't happen. The only ones to throw off the Yolk of the British were the Yanks, but that's because they had French help, the UK was more concerned with the war with France on it's doorstep at the time and the fact we used German troops not proper British ones....

And yes, your comment was directed at the "common "British person. We are the nation, start trouble with the UK and it's people are who you will be tangling with. Ask the Germans about that, they tried twice.....

Maybe it would be ok if UK have a taste of what they like to do to other countries.

Actually, for historical accuracy, we were subject to "imperialism", colonialism and subjugation long before any of the America's were even known about. It's why we became who we are today.

As is the standard chant at these critical times, I will utter the immortal words all good British men and women should know in times of strife, hardship and when the enemy is at the gate...

"Come and have a go, if you think you're hard enough...."

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

So you would like to see innocent islanders slaughtered,disowned and humiliated so you could get a sense of satisfaction that the long dead empire got a slap.Why don't you want the downfall of South America then?The Spanish colonials were about as caveman as they come,ask the Mayans.No chance of the prodigious peoples of latin America getting their land back is there?.I don't see the Uruguayans mentioning that on their agenda.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ludwigvonmises003

Indian rule over India killed far more people than the British did...

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
How many times do we have to discuss this? The Falkland Islanders wish to remain BRITISH. Everyone there is British, they speak English, hold British citizenship, get higher education in British colleges, pledge alligence to Queen Elizabeth II. They are British, got it? BRITISH.

With the exception of Gibraltar all 14 of the remaining British colonies had no native population before the British came along and settled them. Bermuda was a barren rock in the Atlantic Ocean ... then the British came and brought in African slaves, 400 years later the island is still a British territory and the vast majority of the islanders (75% as of an October 2010 poll) wish to remain a British territory. Same with the Falkland Islands. Although Gibraltar had a native population before 1704 they are nearly unanimous. in favor of remaining a British territory (99% voted to remain British in a 2002 referendum).

Should France be required to give St. Pierre & Miquelon to Canada just because it is next to Newfoundland, or French Guiana because it's next to Brazil? Should the Netherlands be required to give Aruba, Curacao, etc to Venezuela just because it next to them?

Argentina, Spain, and the UN "Decolonization" Committee need to go f--k off. As far as I am concerned all 14 British and 5 US territories are already decolonized, they remain territories of their own free will.
edit on 21-12-2011 by ChrisF231 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231
Argentina, Spain, and the UN "Decolonization" Committee need to go f--k off. As far as I am concerned all 14 .....

lol funny as hell man...I mean it, no pun.....lol lol lol

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I just hope that the idiot of an Argentinian President doesnt try something stupid 'down south' while we are distracted during the London Olympics with our 13.5K troops being deployed on Security duties. It would be an 'ideal' time to try something on.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
all argentina has to do is send in carlos tevez. he'll dribble effortlessly around the falkland islands defence and capture the capitol.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by newyorkee

Kind of the point though, no? This is one of the few cases around the world where there were NO natives. Therefore, under International Law, it really is a case "it's ours because we have a flag in it".

If the people the populate the Islands (from British stock) decide they wish to belong to Argentina then fine, that is their right. However, they don't - they wish to remain British.

Any other argument is really redundant against that.

How do you know that? Did they vote on it? (Serious question.) Can you provide a link?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Twiptwop

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

Originally posted by michael1983l

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Awesome.

Enough with the colonies and empires.

Go South America, and may God crush the queen and her slaves with all his might!
edit on 21-12-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

I take it you are completely ignorant to any facts on this issue then. The faulklands was uninhabited when the UK colonised it and the Faulkland Islands holds its own government. The people and the Government unaminously want it to stay that way and they have no desire at all to become part of Argentina or any other nation.

Judging by your attitude, you are happy for the population of the Faulklands to be enslaved by a foreign government then?

Well, when it comes to other nations people are all in favour of the little guy, but when it comes to this topic, it runs along the lines of drive the evil British colonists into the sea or kill all the islanders and replace them with decent hard working European colonists from South America..

F*ck what other people think, we are the British. We are a class above any other nationality and answer to nobody. Don't like us? Too bad.

Tell that to the Irish who handed the British their rear ends on their way home.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Monger

a window within a window within a window.....blah blah blah......we are TITANS !!!
blah blah blah random point about some dumb thing said in response to more dumb things loosely put together

kaput!

WE ARE TITANS!!!!!........yahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! go us!!! yaaaahhhhhhhh!!

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
This is very interesting considering Britain has isolated itself from Europe over the catastrophe that is the Euro currency in the last fortnight. Seems to me (being very cynical), these south American countries have waited for an opportune moment to start causing trouble with the disputed sovereignty of the Falkland Islands and to pick a fight with Britain, thinking we have no support. It's very opportune also considering the tension between Britain and Germany at the moment, and lets face it, where did a large number of Nazis' seek refuge post WWII? South America of course, and in particular Argentina. We have also last week, sold our only operational aircraft carrier that could facilitate and protect a task force being sent to the Falkland Islands, and are reliant on sharing one with the French, who also hate the Brits and always have. IMO this situation will escalate in a rather nasty manner.
edit on 21-12-2011 by stewnafish because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-12-2011 by stewnafish because: Spelling

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
This thread has got me wondering, will the US back the UK up in the unlikely event of another war with Argentina. The UK has supported just about every aspect of American foreign policy since the Vietnam war. (didn't go so well in Suez so im stating Vietnam) Would seem to be bad comradeship if they didn't help out with a few jet fighters at least.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopeforeveryone

The US military/ nato/ mercenary reserve have at their disposal a plethera of ships and assets on land sea and air......selling all carriers is just plausible deniability.....a consolodated hessian force of many nations and groups defending an undivided order....so yes US would...and always will......no real diff.....not anymore

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by ats777jed

Let's hope this is coincidental.

But you never know.....?

And why would such a rising star of Argentinian politics commit suicide only ten days after being promoted to a ministerial position?
edit on 21/12/11 by Freeborn because: n's

Even I am not so naive to think this has a chance to be suicide.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1972
The Argentine president says the Falklands are taking their fish and the oil??
What IS she talking about?
I also had to laugh at the "The malvinas is not a South American cause, its a global cause" phrase...Yup, it's right up there with Palestine, Ethiopia, the Sudan etc etc etc

And what grievance does Uruguay have with the UK??

All these third world countries should remember who sends help everytime they have an earthquake and not side with a nation bitter over the #ing good thrashing it recieved 30 yers ago.
Whats done is done and an infantil Argentine government should stop harping on about it.

Since when does Uruguay have earthquakes? Can you remind me of this event?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Narciso
reply to post by ats777jed

By the way, the press here is saying that it might have been some kind of sexual game gone wrong... but...

Second

lol! link?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

reply to post by andy1972

Let me answer to that with one simple question, or may be not that simple...

Why can NATO countries respond as a block when one of its members has an asset in danger but Mercosur countries can´t? Its seems unfair doesn´t it?

Agreed.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
The UK Armed Forces would not need any help from any NATO allies should the Argies be dumb enough to try an invasion again, as unlike 1982, the Falklands now has RAF Mount Pleasant which can be reinforced within hours from the UK.

Not that an invasion is likely as Argentina has nowhere near the hardware that it had in 1982, its armed forces are in a very poor state. The four RAF Typhoons and an 'undisclosed' nuclear submarine are more than enough to see off anything the Argies have.

Christine Kirtchner should shut her big mouth ''Put up or shut up''.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1972

reply to post by andy1972

Let me answer to that with one simple question, or may be not that simple...

Why can NATO countries respond as a block when one of its members has an asset in danger but Mercosur countries can´t? Its seems unfair doesn´t it?

What ASSET is in danger exactly then ??
Or is the fact that they found oil off the Falklands pissing off the Nazi high command in Buenas Aires.
All that oil revenue would really drag Argentina into the 21st century.
They dont want the Island, they want the OIL.
edit on 21-12-2011 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

Yes, everyone wants the OIL....

And no one will want the SPILL...

There was another one in the Gulf today, Shell this time....

The longer they battle this out, the longer it will take to pollute the healthy South Atlantic coast...
maybe we should leave at least that portion of the ocean intact?
Nahhhhh...;

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
reply to post by Narciso

Lets hear what the native inhabitants have to say about that, lets remember the Island was unpopulated before Britain arrived and Argentina did not exist at that time.

your house was not populated at the time me and my friends broke in. We took a vote and we want you out.

Better yet, it was just your bathroom. Nobody was in there, we checked behind the shower curtain and everything.
edit on 21-12-2011 by OceanGeek because: quotes got messed.

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join