It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South American Trading Block (Mercosur) Agree to Block British Soverign Flagged Vessels into their P

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

A South American trading bloc has agreed to close its ports to ships flying the Falkland Islands flag.

Mercosur, which includes Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay, came to the decision at a summit in the Uruguayan capital, Montevideo.

But Uruguayan President Jose Mujica also stated his country would never impose a maritime blockade of the British overseas territory.

The UK has asked Uruguay, which proposed the move, to explain itself.

The Mercosur decision is the latest in a series by Latin American regional bodies designed to show solidarity with Argentina, which has long claimed sovereignty over the Falkland Islands, which it calls Las Malvinas.

Britain has held them since the 1830s and says their future is not negotiable. The two countries fought a brief but bloody war over the islands in 1982.

The Falklands flag is flown by 25 boats, mostly fishing vessels.

Mr Mujica said: "We hold nothing against the UK. But we have a lot in favour of Argentina."

However, the president of the Falklands Chamber of Commerce, Roger Spink, told the BBC that they were a small community, and felt increasingly under blockade.

"If we were Palestine, the European Union would be up in arms," he said.

Last week the Foreign Office called on Uruguay's ambassador in London to explain the move.

Oil exploration

Argentina's President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner, who took over the presidency of the trade bloc from Mr Mujica, thanked her fellow presidents for the show of support.

Delivering a speech to the summit, she said: "I want to thank everyone for their immense solidarity with the Malvinas.

"But you should know that when you are signing something on the Malvinas in favour of Argentina you are also doing it in your own defence.

"Malvinas is not an Argentine cause, it is a global cause, because in the Malvinas they are taking our oil and fishing resources.

"And when there is need for more resources, those who are strong are going to look for them wherever and however they can."

British companies are exploring for oil in the waters surrounding the islands, which are 400 nautical miles from the Argentine coast.

To me this does not seem right, the people of the Faulkland Islands do not want to be part of Argentina and also want to stay British Soverign. The Islands have been British Soverign since the 1800s when no country wanted the Islands. This just seems a bitter remark now that they know there is oil there and it is just greed. I am very disappointed with the other South American nations as there should be no dispute over who these Islands belongs to and in my opinion they have sided with Argentina and have illigally blockaded vessels with the Faulklands flag from entering their ports.

For me the UK should immidiately cut all political ties with those countries involved and put trade embargo's on them. They should also approach the European Union and get them to also apply the same rules to show solidarity at this proposterous act of aggression by the south American countries.

They are completely out of line and they should be punished for their actions.

edit on 13/1/2012 by Sauron because: - internal quote tags to external quote tags

+24 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Looks like South America told Britain to go Faulk themselves.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
While this whole thing has been brewing over the last couple of years the Argentine Gov appointed a British bank to lead sorting out their sovereign debt issues!!!!

The intent was to get Argentina back on the markets and pay down the money they owe the Paris club, given the downturn repaying the monies owed to the Paris club has been that much harder for the Argentine gov.

So at the same moment the Paris club where considering raising the stakes and getting the IMF involved in Argentina this side swipe on the Falklands occur (again)

It is all bollox and posturing the ensure British financial support for Argentina in keeping the IMF wolves at bay.

Linky for those that would like to dig deeper into this:
www.reuters.com...

Wikileaks cable covering the topic of Barclays maintaining lead status despite the issues over oil and what not.
wikileaks.tetalab.org...
edit on 21/12/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Great news, good job OP.

It will be interesting to see what position the rest of south america will take, a common cause could be what they need to reach Bolivar's dream. I guess Chavez is getting exited now. Beware of Chile, they are loyals to the British.

There is a lot to comment about this news, but I'm late to work. Be back.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Regardless of the motives behind these actions, this is an act of aggression towards the British Soverign and at minimum a trade war. It is the equivelant to Britain claiming soverignty of Iceland just because it happens to lie somewhere off the coast of the UK. There needs to be solidarity on this issue and Britain need to take a very hard line against all countries involved.

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Awesome.

Enough with the colonies and empires.

Go South America and the queen can go to hell.
edit on 21-12-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Now is the time to move a Vanguard Class submarine into the Falkland Islands and to conduct regular testing of the weapons systems on the submarine. A few Eurofighter and Tornado squadrons should accompany it.

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Awesome.

Go South America and the queen can go to hell.

What the hell are you talking about?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Twiptwop
Now is the time to move a Vanguard Class submarine into the Falkland Islands and to conduct regular testing of the weapons systems on the submarine. A few Eurofighter and Tornado squadrons should accompany it.

There are always 2 subs patrolling the South Atlantic.
edit on 21-12-2011 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Awesome.

Go South America, and may God crush the queen and her slaves with all his might!

I take it you are completely ignorant to any facts on this issue then. The faulklands was uninhabited when the UK colonised it and the Faulkland Islands holds its own government. The people and the Government unaminously want it to stay that way and they have no desire at all to become part of Argentina or any other nation.

Judging by your attitude, you are happy for the population of the Faulklands to be enslaved by a foreign government then?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

The queen rules the UK. The UK ``owns`` the Falkland islands. Pretty simple.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

If this was a serious threat then I would have no hesitation in demanding our troops go down there to count penguins

But this is not, the Argentine Gov themselves appointed a British bank to help them out of the crapper, imagine if that assistance was pulled!

This is no more than smoke and mirrors, heck CARICOM voted in 100% in favour of Argentina last time, and CARICOM contains a number of British overseas territories.. so Gordon Brown voted in favour of Argentina?

Talk about miss direction and deceit, which I have no intention of being pulled into.. however moving our troops from Afghanistan to count penguins is right at the top of my list of things we should be doing

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   

reply to post by Flavian

The queen has no power over the UK, not political nor moral. She is a powerless figurehead maintained as it is part of our heritage.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l

Awesome.

Go South America, and may God crush the queen and her slaves with all his might!

I take it you are completely ignorant to any facts on this issue then. The faulklands was uninhabited when the UK colonised it and the Faulkland Islands holds its own government. The people and the Government unaminously want it to stay that way and they have no desire at all to become part of Argentina or any other nation.

Judging by your attitude, you are happy for the population of the Faulklands to be enslaved by a foreign government then?

Well, when it comes to other nations people are all in favour of the little guy, but when it comes to this topic, it runs along the lines of drive the evil British colonists into the sea or kill all the islanders and replace them with decent hard working European colonists from South America..

+9 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   

reply to post by Flavian

I don't think you understand the issue to be honest. You started on an anti-British slant for some islands that were never inhabited until we went there - yes, that means no natives. Therefore the question of empire and colonies is actually redundant and makes you look rather foolish.

Good effort though. Well done.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

Originally posted by michael1983l

Awesome.

Well, when it comes to other nations people are all in favour of the little guy, but when it comes to this topic, it runs along the lines of drive the evil British colonists into the sea or kill all the islanders and replace them with decent hard working European colonists from South America..

F*ck what other people think, we are the British. We are a class above any other nationality and answer to nobody. Don't like us? Too bad.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

what utter twaddle

what rights do brazil , urugauy , paraguay etc have to any oil / fish in the falklands ecconomic zone ? - look at a map if you are struggling to answer

bottom line is - that chile has the stronglest claim to the falklands [ based on proximity ]

paraguay is just arse licking - in the hope of favour later

+14 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

You need to learn your history my friend..

The English took the Falklands from the french in the 1820's and it was populated by ex british soldiers who was given lands as rewards for fighting and defeating Napoleon.

Now Argentina wasn't even a country in the 1820's so how could they lay claim to it ??

And..

Argentina the country as we know it, was founded on a revolution, which was supported by the British.
And Welsh mercenaries actually helped the Rebel forces win the country.

The Argies won't tell you that tho...

I've served in the falklands on a Rapier 2 SAM position and patrolling the islands (inc. South Georgia.)

It's not like 1982 anymore.. the islands are very well defended now.

Anyways the Bennies want to stay British, so really it's upto them.

Peace

Rock Ape

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
woohoo,go kick brit azz Latinos!!!

Teach tha Brits a nice lesson.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I happen to know that there are 4 Typhoons and a Rapier II squadron down at the faulklands at all times. There is also a relatively heavy navy prescence and the British nuclear submarine fleet is second to none in the world. If Argentina or any other involved in that pact wants to dance with the devil then so be it, we will be unforgiving this time and crush them. I am sick of Argentina whining about this issue, there is no issue to discuss.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join