It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you a Martial Artist? Post your discipline here!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kalixi
Great idea for a thread! Sorry to start this with a question but is there any martial arts that are recomended for a beginner? I am a weak girl and was thinking of starting Mixed Martial Arts or ? for fitness and strength building.

I would advise you to look for a good wing chun class. wc does not rely on strength/size is a close quarter fighting system so nulifies most kicks,is an anti grapple system which makes it very difficult for an opponent to hold you or throw/take you down.
WC was allegedly concieved by a small framed woman who couldnt match the physicality ofher male counterparts in the shaolin temple and so is the perfect fighting system for women.
WC is not a sport it is a system for fighting.Most of the strikes are considerd to dangerous for the ring/cage, for example most strikes are aimed at the throat/eyes/groin/knees/floating ribs/spine and back of the head.

I hope i have helped,
live long and happy.

ps. If you are only looking for a way to build strength and fitness then i would sugest you go to your local boxing gym,You dont have to fight but the training will make you fitter and stronger without any risk of serious injury.
edit on 5-1-2012 by marvinthemartian because: oops

edit on 5-1-2012 by marvinthemartian because: dyslexic

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Oni-Kage

That sir sounds like a delicious diet, and with 7 weeks you'll make it easily.

Mixing porridge with protein powder is a damned good idea and I shall be thieving that recipe for future use!

In Thailand I used to drink this herbal drink they'd give us, would boost your energy and pain threshold through the roof! You were allowed to eat whatever you wanted and as much as you wanted, just train and drink these herbs and you would be fine. Seen a guy lose 30+ kilos in six weeks by drinking this drink, eating whatever he wanted and going for a walk for an hour per day.

Thailand is a mysterious place!

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Sitmonchai is a pretty cool camp, what made you think of them?

My personal preference for my next journey is to go to Chiang Mai and train with Burklerk. 177 fights 170 wins, voted as the best thai boxer of all time by various thai publications.

His fighters fight at the highest levels (lumphini, rajadamnern etc.) so you know the trainers are good. What's more is the trainers will also show you some tricks and techniques which can be used on the street not just in the ring. Real dirty tactics.

I've personally met the trainers there and Burklerk himself and I can say without a doubt they are the elite, obviously there are a number of great camps in Thailand, but this is my next choice.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowScholar

I read some pretty cool reviews on Sitmonchai, and i heard that the fighters and trainers are top class. But i will definitely look up this camp at Chiang Mai, is there a web site?

Thanks

Don't worry, found their site, thanks mate

edit on 5-1-2012 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

They do have some top class talent at Sitmonchai no doubt about it. But there's alot of arguably better talent elsewhere. You could go to Por Pramuk gym and train alongside Buakaw, or to Sinbi Muay Thai and train alongside Saenchai also.

I don't know the website off the top of my head, I have Burklerk's email address, I'll ask him. I know at the moment they're running a thing where a month of training costs about $130 AUD after you convert the currency.

Lot's of talent over there that's for sure!

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Sweet thanks mate

I misread the site a bit. It's about 7,900 THB a month according to the site, it converts to around $242 AUD

Thanks heaps for your help man. Didn't know of his gym before, adn it does indeed appear to be top class. Thanks heaps mate

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   

It does convert to that amount yes, my maths is waaaaay off today -_-''

He was champion of Thailand 3 years in a row and Champion of Lumphini 3 years in a row also.

Absolutely top class but a really hard gym to find and find out about! Alot of top flight gyms act like this, Thai fighters aren't great at advertising

Any more advice help etc. let me know and I'll be happy to help.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Yeah, with those titles, he definitely sounds like the Kru to get trained under. Again thanks heaps mate. You have really helped me in finding a good camp over there, as before i was pretty much interested on either going to Sitmonchai , Sitsongpeenong or Eminent Air. Thanks mate :up

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Tae kwon do
&
Hsing-I
Teaches awesome footwork that generates considerable power and it teaches how to attack and defend simultaneously.

Looking for a wing chun teacher at the moment, so I can take it with my son.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Shadowscholar seems to know what he's talking about on the subject so i'll leave u to him lol.
Yeah protein powder in porridge is awesome! It actually makes eating it every morning bearable xD ha ha. The only thing u gotta be careful of is denaturing the protein with too much heat. The best way is to make the porridge to the right heat then mix the protein powder in but this takes ages lol. i usually warm the water, mix in a shaker with the protein then pour it on the porridge.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I am 57 yrs old and have been studying martial arts for 40+ yrs. I was extremely lucky to be able to study at a family dojo in Okinawa in 1974/1975. The style was Isshiryu and the 17 months of study there were better then any I have had since. I also hold a shodan in judo and 1st kyu in aikido, I have an amatuer boxing record of 16-0-0 with 11 kos. All of the karate that I have seen since returning from Okinawa is children's karate and resembles nothing like I studied. The instructors taught me how the katas they taught contained not just strikes and kicks but throws, takedowns,grappling,joint manipulation,eye gouges,fish hooking,hairpulling and even biting.
I saw one fight between an okinawan bar bouncer and a marine who was in my company. The marine was a black belt in something he studied back in the states, I was about 15 feet away when the fight started(marine started it) I saw a flash of movement a slight pause and then another flash of movement and then the marine was down in the gutter. My buddy and I ran over and the marine's right eye was laying on his cheek,his jaw was broken,his right arm was broken and he was having trouble breathing(we later found out he had two broken ribs). We scooped him up and got a cab to take us down the street to Kadena Air Base where he was transported to the naval hospital. They saved his eye but he was medically discharged later. The bouncer by the way was about 5'4" 130lbs the marine 6' and about185lbs. Like I stated earlier all I really saw was a flash of movement it was too fast to discern what techniques were applied. Real karate!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join