It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you a Martial Artist? Post your discipline here!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
So i thought that i should start a thread dedicated to the martial artists on ATS. This is not to incite a war over which art is better (that is stupid anyway, since every discipline is good), but to share the knowledge of ones art and it's culture and history surrounding it.

I'll start:

I do Muay Thai, which is a martial art that is believed to be close to 2000 years old originating in Thailand. Since the 1920's Muay Thai has been adapted from the previously Muay Boran (regional styles from Thailand) into a more well rounded combat sport/martial art now known as Muay Thai. it is referred to as the art of 8 limbs as the practitioner uses the fists, elbows, knees and legs/feet to defend themselves. The history of Muay Thai is intertwined with the Thai people. It used to be used as a way to resolve national disputes (the Tiger King). Also, Muay Thai consists of very traditional aspects such as the Wai Kru Ram Muay:

Old style:

Ring style:

Muay Boran Kata:

For additional information:
en.wikipedia.org...
Share the knowledge

edit on 19-12-2011 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Great idea for a thread! Sorry to start this with a question but is there any martial arts that are recomended for a beginner? I am a weak girl and was thinking of starting Mixed Martial Arts or ? for fitness and strength building.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kalixi
Great idea for a thread! Sorry to start this with a question but is there any martial arts that are recomended for a beginner? I am a weak girl and was thinking of starting Mixed Martial Arts or ? for fitness and strength building.

Hi there

Without bias, i would recommend Muay Thai as it is very quick and easy to learn, and also gets you fit and healthy. Alternitavely you can start up MMA as you suggested, as it incorporates mostly Muay Thai as well as Jiu Jitsu. Or you could look for a Krav Maga class, as it relies on survival and teaches you how to escape any situation (threats like guns, knives etc). That would probably be your best bet.
Good luck with finding a Martial Art to your liking

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

I am a practitioner in mma. We us a combination of kyukushinkai karate, english boxing, greco-roman wrestling and brazillian jiujitsu, but my heart goes out to good old english boxing, we have a boxing history in our family and i think the footwork in boxing is superior to any martial art. I dont do any competition, i just train for myself, and use it only when i have no other options.

Peace

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Yes,

Isshinryu

My daughter has also been practicing since she was 4.5 yrs old and she is now 9. My son just started. Its perfect for females because its self defense with close proximity and the punches allow you to get more in than a traditional corkscrew punch. Just to name an example. The katas are beautiful too.....

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

Wow, never heard of it. Just looked it up and it seems fascinating, the katas are indeed excellent

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Shotokan Karate

Shotokan Karate

Practiced this for over ten years and have taken a break recently. The Kata's and the philosophy are not easily forgotten, especially if it interests.

My trainer unfortunately fell off a rooftop and damaged his back and cannot do classes anymore. If there is another trainer around in the future I will gladly resume.

edit on 19-12-2011 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan

Korean style karate different from Tai Kwon Do

I broke a hip from a 40 foot fall while working at the age of 26. When I was 28 my 4 year old son asked to learn karate. We tried out several schools and disciplines until we found one he liked. It has been the best rehab for my injury. The stretching and training has left me 100%.

I'm 32 now and my son is 8 and we just received the rank of Cho Dan (blackbelt).

Not only that but we have made some great friends as well.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Zen Chi Ryu - Weapons
Muay Thai - Legs
Krav Maga - Hands

These are what I've trained in, all have their good points and help to make someone a well rounded fighter.

Like your use of a video from the Naksu promotion too!

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Ah geeze
Best wishes to your teacher. Also, a very interesting martial art.
I love Funakoshi's quote "The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of the participant." This can be applied to any martial art

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by leemachino
Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan

Korean style karate different from Tai Kwon Do

I broke a hip from a 40 foot fall while working at the age of 26. When I was 28 my 4 year old son asked to learn karate. We tried out several schools and disciplines until we found one he liked. It has been the best rehab for my injury. The stretching and training has left me 100%.

I'm 32 now and my son is 8 and we just received the rank of Cho Dan (blackbelt).

Not only that but we have made some great friends as well.

Wow, an amazing story, i hope there are no more complications in the future. Congratulations on your ranking by the way

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
I trained in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, but my job got in the way and had to quit. I started working swing shifts and felt like I wouldn't get the amount of training I was paying for.

Anyways, I bought a 90 pound wrestling dummy and an 80 pound punching bag to practice with at home.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowScholar

All good styles. Yes, the naksu promotion is a good demonstartion of the Wai Kru Ram Muay

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Tae Kwon Do

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Yup Shotokan here too, started at the age of 5 and passed my 1st Dan at the age of 16, Teruyuki Okazaki a 10th Dan grand master came over to test me for my 1st Dan, I was supposed to go to Japan to study more but at the age of 17 women and beer and dancing got the better of me

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by homeslice
Tae Kwon Do

Sweet. This is the point where the Muay Thai fanbase and the Tae Kwon Do fanbas usually have the wars

But very interesting. Do you train under traditional style or Olympic?

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Friend of mine works as a MMA instructor but teaches no one who doesn't already have experience in a previous school / style. I agree with your recommendations of BJJ or Krav for starters though.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ColCurious

Yeah, anything that really covers ground game is the way to go.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I would love a try at Gracie Jiu Jitsu [not BJJ]. so if anyone has any opinions I would love to read them.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
I train in many different styles and use the one that fits the situation best.
Usually I use .44 special or .357 Magnum..

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join