It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fountains of Methane 1000m across Erupt From Arctic Ice!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
To clarify another point...

True, this methane was produced by natural processes, probably many thousands of years ago. We didn't *create* it; however, it was our activity that released it.

This is what the global warming people were warning about - the possibility of there being a runaway process that would be triggered by our activities, and once triggered, impossible to stop. It may be that even had we immediately started to fix the problem, this would have happened anyway. Maybe there wasn't enough time to turn it around. We'll never know, because we never even tried.

Now to buy some oceanside property in Arizona...

I think another point about so-called "global warming" needs clarifying. The problem isn't that the world will become too hot. A degree or two doesn't make it that much warmer. The problem is that the change in temperature results in far more violent and unpredictable weather. The extremes will become greater. Global warming will very likely result in, among other things, record cold in some areas, as well as record heat, an increase in the number and violence of hurricanes and tornadoes, flooding, droughts, and so on. We're seeing some of this even now. I don't suppose it's going to better any time soon.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiron613
reply to post by quedup

Um... methane is a greenhouse gas. This isn't an example of earth's "self-correction" (negative feedback). It is an example of a runaway process in which there is positive feedback. Warming led to thawing of permafrost, which in turn leads to release of methane, which adds to the warming.

I don't know the significance of this. In fact, I'm not even convinced of the legitimacy of this report. However, if it's legitimate, it may be an indication that we've lost any chance of reversing the climate changes we've initiated. If there are kilometer-wide fountains of methane spewing, I don't think worrying about our own emissions is going to help much.

Kinda makes me glad I don't have any kids that have to deal with this crap...

It scares me that some people can be so convinced that this is "self correction" -- did they not take ANY science, or are they being fed propaganda?

Are we going to see this meme that "methane release is mother nature's self-correction for Global Warming" making the news circuit? Because the methane release has been predicted and is a concern for RUNAWAY Global Warming. It's when human impacts kick off changes in nature that speed up the process -- not reverse or slow it down.

>> The Permafrost in Siberia is melting. It's a big deal, because what was once icy white is turning into huge swaths of black mud, coupled with releases of the methane trapped in the soil.

>> The crystalized methane is being released in the Arctic and other seas because ocean temperatures in deep water areas are going up.

>> Sea Levels are expected to increase faster than melting can explain, because it is now realized that because the rate of change is so fast, it creates "lubrication' at the bottom of Glaciers and Ice Fields -- so that instead of melting the whole ice mass can fall into the ocean.

Hopefully someone can capture the methane and use that in place of some other energy source -- but that's a tiny glimmer of positive on something that kind of proves the Anthropogenic Global Warming predictions and how things can get bad at a faster rate. We can only really know what can happen by letting it happen -- which is a REALLY bad idea since we happen to live on the planet.

The Status Quo needs to be; "First, do no harm." Not only is it the righteous thing to do -- it's the intelligent thing to do.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by quedup

Originally posted by rick004
I'm not very savy to the science behind this but all this methane , would it not mean that the planet would get hotter as opposed to another ice age ??

I think you're right but I always think that this is when the climate flips - when it get's too hot - nature perhaps creates an ice age????

Either way - it looks like something has to give.

Its funny you say that because pockets of air in glacial ice formed during the last ice age reveal co2 levels of over 500 ppm. Basically emissions were higher in those days. Something to think about.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
In light of this news, I can recommend anyone to look at the "Encounters at the end of the world" documentary.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I would almost adventure to say this is propaganda from Russia so they can start drilling and capturing gas in the Arcrtic. They have been wanting to do it for a long time now and they will create a fake problem that they will solve by moving in on the Arctic ice for drilling.
edit on 14-12-2011 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Still wonder what Vostok lake type methan would do being millions of years old? When incontact with current day atmospheres..
edit on 12/14/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Very very good find.

This show that us humans are puny and earth will do whatever she has to do.

I'm sure those vents are producing in a week way way way more greenhouse gases than all of humanity has produced in the last thousand years.

Now I'll just print this and show this to the still brainwashed ``we must cut our CO2 and pay carbon taxes`` eco-nazis in my family... maybe that'll wake them up.
edit on 13-12-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

Do you seriously not "get it"

These puny humans and their weak carbon emissions caused the permafrost to start melting which is the reason this methane is being released.

How the hell can people still be in denial? The bulk of global warming effects the poles, and this is exactly what we're seeing. These same methane bubbles are going on in antartica.

This hasn't happened in at least 400,000 years. Nothing besides human beings starting the industrial revolution accounts for this. Nothing.

Are you people in this much damned denial?

Do you not make the OBVIOUS connection here?

Seriously

WTF????

edit on 14-12-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

Who started it 400,000 yrs ago?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Perhaps CEREBRUS is escaping to punish the gluttons????
www.tate.org.uk...

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by nfflhome

That's IRRELEVANT.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by nfflhome

Who started it 400,000 yrs ago?

Could a large celestial have entered the Earth atmosphere delivering toxic amounts of WARMING gasses as it dissolved in the atmosphere have done it... HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM causing similar effects as the pollution emissions done today by man.
Chemical reaction to Earth atmosphere caused warming mix creating natural CYCLE, just sayen.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
ok, the earth is a living, breathing organism and now its leaking methane....... too many jokes.....

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I'm not a "Revelations" advocate, but this kind of fits in with the "and the oceans will boil..."

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
I would almost adventure to say this is propaganda from Russia so they can start drilling and capturing gas in the Arcrtic. They have been wanting to do it for a long time now and they will create a fake problem that they will solve by moving in on the Arctic ice for drilling.
edit on 14-12-2011 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

Lol. Yeah right. Some Russian scientists watched the History Channel Mega Disaster episode about an ELE type methane explosion, and used the idea to create a false problem:

Hey, that's as good a conspiracy theory as any, and I'll be amazed to see you prove it. IF you could prove it...

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

You play right in to the hands of the Global Rockefeller de-population agenda.

In searching for a new enemy to unite us, we came up with the idea that pollution, the threat of global warming, water shortages, famine and the like would fit the bill. All these dangers are caused by human intervention, and it is only through changed attitudes and behavior that they can be overcome. The real enemy then, is humanity itself.

Based on my close observation of their actions, and watching the recommendations made by the CoR many years ago now being adopted as official UN and government policy – well, I have become personally convinced that they are deadly serious. On this website I try to use quotes and excerpts as much as possible and let the reader reach their own conclusions.

So, what exactly is the Club of Rome and who are its members? Founded in 1968 at David Rockefeller’s estate in Bellagio, Italy, the CoR describes itself as "a group of world citizens, sharing a common concern for the future of humanity." It consists of current and former Heads of State, UN beaureacrats, high-level politicians and government officials, diplomats, scientists, economists, and business leaders from around the globe.

green-agenda.com...

Just for reference on this de-population issue, Rockefellers supported Margaret Sanger's eugenics policies and her American Birth Control League, which is now Planned Parenthood.
I remember as a kid seeing indoctrination films in public school on how the population growth is causing horrible things and dthey showed highways piling up on top of each other. Has the same feel as The Story of Stuff.
oh I just googled Future Shock and it's written by Toffler. In another thread here just in the last few days someone brought up Toffler in relation to Newt Gingrich, and I googled it and it turns out that the OWS participatory democracy thing is a branch of "anticipatory democracy" also involving theories of Toffler.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by VitriolAndAngst

Al Gore is so worried about his own predictions of sea level rise he hurried to build a giant mansion right on the ocean front. His theories are bogus and there is no scientific consensus on global warming. Many of the scientists whose material was quoted by the UN IPCC were angry their material was so misrepresented. The IPCC is not even a board of scientists but UN bureaucrats.
Just read up on Maurice Strong and James Lovelock and the Gaia hypothesis and you will see that much of what is being drummed up is based on non-scientific worship of an earth goddess. Who says non-Christians are smarter?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by metaldemon2000
Its funny you say that because pockets of air in glacial ice formed during the last ice age reveal co2 levels of over 500 ppm. Basically emissions were higher in those days. Something to think about.

Care to show us that data? I know a few glaciaologists and atmospheric scientists who'd be interested too.

Ice Core data shows COs levels not to have exceeded ~300ppm for the past 750,000 years.

Fossil leaves concur (based on stomata).

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I'm betting 100 dollars that this wont change a single thing!

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

You know there is a difference between Co2 and methane, right?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
What do you want to convey here? It's seemingly just another opportunity to spread fear and uneasyness among the readers
Toxic people are known as emotional vampires. These people are bad news and there is nothing remotely amusing about their personalities. Spreading negativity like poison, they can make people feel depressed and angry.

Life puts most individuals in situations where run-ins with toxic people are inevitable.

Toxic people suffer from low self-esteem and try to project their lack of confidence onto others, in order to disguise their own shortcomings. These stories of doom and gloom have become all to frequent here on ATS, as though there are chronic doom and gloom posters
One point, that the earth somehow planned and acted to release this methane is preposterous, it accumulated until it overwhelmed the barrier that contained it, then a cascade took effect, simple as that.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I wonder it this is going to get any press coverage.

All the breaking news is here first.

The warming is happening as predicted, and the only people who say differently are hopelessly lost in denial, not even worth bothering with.

Here is something I have to wonder. I don't know if anyone else has brought this up on the thread, but I think it is worth considering.

How much effect could the release of radioactive water out of Fukushima have on releasing methane in the oceans?

There is a slight chance that these preliminary reports could be wrong, but not likely.

How quickly and how much will this effect us is a huge range of possibilities, extinction being one.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join