It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fountains of Methane 1000m across Erupt From Arctic Ice!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
interesting, but i dont think the end is coming for a long time. ya im sure there will be some hurdles we have to jump through but nothing like mass extinction of life on earth. methane has been seeping out of the ocean forever so i dont think this is any thing new. they are just finding more spots than they thought existed previously.

in any case if the end times are upon us let me get my lawn chair and a beer so i can watch the chaos

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

The wind.. I think there is something in Revelations about the wind being released.....

Edit: found it

Revelation 7
1And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.

2And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea,

3Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads.

There, now I got all religious on you!
edit on 14-12-2011 by ovumcranium because: Found verse

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I think its all part of the earth changes. Edgar Cayce talked about it, as did Nostradamus. Also could be linked to 2012. Interesting times we live in

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Speaking of Methane and from this Discovery !
Of Fountains of Methane around Siberia just belching Out ! and going into the Atmosphere

Did anyone Stop and Thought of This ! ?

( news.discovery.com)
Mars Methane Mystery: What's Making the Gas?

Methane in Mars' atmosphere lasts less than a year meaning something --
either geologic or biological -- keeps belching it out.

news.discovery.com...

(NASA)
Martian Methane Reveals the Red Planet is not a Dead Planet
www.nasa.gov...

What is the Temperature of Mars Equator Now ?
as I Heard the Whole Solar System is being Affected

Seeing the Climate is Warm where I am In the Middle OF December!!!! Up 40+ degrees!! In Upstate NY at the Border of Canada from Barely any Snow to NO SNOW!! Its like Spring time here well to me anyways !

and its the Big Discussion around here ..

Atmospheric methane
en.wikipedia.org...

and ohh yeah here the Image of the day of Atmospheric methane Around the World in Feb 2005 from NASA
I cant Imagine what it looks like Now !

(earth observatory.nasa.gov)
Atmospheric Methane
February 22, 2005

earthobservatory.nasa.gov...

Look at those Locations Especially Russia and China !
and what the Heck is going on in the around the area of the Black Sea/Eastern Turkey/Georgia/Caspian Sea ?

It also has a 4meg PDF of the Methane Map (Below)
eoimages.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Arctic methane: Russian researchers report
neven1.typepad.com...

Shock as retreat of Arctic sea ice releases deadly greenhouse gas

Russian research team astonished after finding 'fountains' of methane bubbling to surface

The numbers for this graph were derived from NOAA's Earth System Research Laboratory.

After I did some little research I came across this site ( from searching the Above Pics ) and its Pretty Scary seeing Graphic Charts of The Earths Climate from the Past to Present in Graphs from Co2, Methane, Nitrous Oxide, Radiation levels, Snow Covers, Temperature Anomalies, Ice Levels, Sea Levels to Sun Spots

MARCLIMATEGRAPHS

Here are presented a collection of graphs and charts that were mostly created for use within Poole Agenda 21's newsletter by Dr Martin Rodger for the purpose of illustrating the progress of man-made climate change, often called Global Warming or AGW. The graphs are here kept up-to-date.

Source :
sites.google.com...

DID the Man Who Saw Tomorrow predict Climate Change > ?
Nostradamus

edit on 14-12-2011 by Wolfenz because: Cleaning up a Bit of Grammar :Roll:

edit on 14-12-2011 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
For once I agree with the way Americans solve any problem:

NUKE IT.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Thanks WOLFENZ for all the info - looks like we really are in for a bumpy ride this time. I also just read the latest on Reactor 4 in Japan - then theirs the Gulf Disaster still unresolved and spilling oil on a massive scale - Put them all together and we could easily say - What the hell do we expect?
edit on 14-12-2011 by quedup because: To undo excessive quote

edit on 14-12-2011 by quedup because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Higher temperatures are actually what causes a lot of methane to rise to the surface, vent into the atmosphere and contribute to climate change. This is known as a positive feedback. CO2 leads to higher temperatures, leading to methane being released into the atmosphere as permafrost melts, leading to even higher temperatures and even more methane being released. There is pretty much no doubt in the scientific community about how much temperature would rise due to man made CO2 emissions in the absence of any of these feedbacks. The only question is how large these feedbacks are and whether they're positive or negative.

This is an extremely strong positive one.
edit on 14/12/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

edit on 14/12/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I say the only thing for us to do is use what nature is providing us as a resource. Instead of pollution our own backyard we should harness all this methane, considering all sea life would have been dead by now around the fountains.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Help an idiot out here.............the positive thing is a misnomer then? In terms of us, it actually isn't that good?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I'm sure those vents are producing in a week way way way more greenhouse gases than all of humanity has produced in the last thousand years.
That statement is total nonsense vitchilo...

The East Siberian Arctic Shelf is a methane-rich area that encompasses more than 2 million square kilometers of seafloor in the Arctic Ocean. It is more than three times as large as the nearby Siberian wetlands, which have been considered the primary Northern Hemisphere source of atmospheric methane. Shakhova’s research results show that the East Siberian Arctic Shelf is already a significant methane source: 7 teragrams yearly, which is equal to the amount of methane emitted from the rest of the ocean. A teragram is equal to about 1.1 million tons.

Here are the global C02 emissions for 2010 (that's just 1 year)

On a global scale, some 9,139 teragrams – a teragram is a million metric tons – of oxidized carbon were emitted from fossil-fuel combustion and cement manufacture. This represents an increase of about 512 teragrams, or 5.9%, over the 2009 global estimate.

edit on 14-12-2011 by Atzil321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz
There is pretty much no doubt in the scientific community about how much temperature would rise due to man made CO2 emissions in the absence of any of these feedbacks.

Nothing will happen. Nothing big ever does happen. Tomorrow will be the same as yesterday. People will get up in the morning, get to work on time (if they have a job), do the same blah-blah-blah work for little pay while the elite crush us into the dust.

10,000 years ago it got very cold in the northern hemisphere for cavaman. Cavemen had a great idea. They all decided to build dirty coal powered power stations to keep their furry footies warm. The climate heated up. The ice melted and they then did an excellent clean up job removing all of the nasty power stations. To think that all of this was done on slate. AMAZING !!! Lol

The Sun is heating up guys. 2012-2013 is going to get hotter. This is nothing compared to what is coming.

If man-made CO2 is making a difference then it is nothing more that an accelerant. The climate that we have now is probably what we would have had 30 years from now anyway.

Climate change. Dah. Off course there is climate change. It happens all of the time. Every year, every century the climate changes. If environmentalists really cared for this planet they would have killed off every politician that is pro-industry/pro-money by now.
edit on 14-12-2011 by UncoolSam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

This show that us humans are puny and earth will do whatever she has to do. I'm sure those vents are producing in a week way way way more greenhouse gases than all of humanity has produced in the last thousand years.

Humans did this.

Read the article: that methane is being liberated by the melting of the Arctic ice shelf – one of the processes in which human-induced global warming is known to play a role.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
Humans did this.

So the sun getting hotter during its standard 11 year cycle is not playing any part in this global warming.

Originally posted by Astyanax
that methane is being liberated by the melting of the Arctic ice shelf – one of the processes in which human-induced global warming is known to play a role.

So what? Has anything big happened because of this? Has the world exploded yet? No
Nothing will happen.
And the world moves onto the next climate change end-of-the-world rumour, and then the next one, and the next one,............

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by UncoolSam

Originally posted by C0bzz
There is pretty much no doubt in the scientific community about how much temperature would rise due to man made CO2 emissions in the absence of any of these feedbacks.

Nothing will happen. Nothing big ever does happen. Tomorrow will be the same as yesterday. People will get up in the morning, get to work on time (if they have a job), do the same blah-blah-blah work for little pay while the elite crush us into the dust.

In all honesty, you only have this mentality because it has accounted for your life thus far.

Never doubt this planet. You have no idea what the future will hold. NONE.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Anyone still worried about belching cows?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by UncoolSam

I have no doubt that when you are choking, dehydrating or drowning from the flatulence and effluvium of industrial capitalism run amok, you will still be flying the flag for your right to pollute and be damned in the name of free enterprise.

The time for arguing with those blinded by greed and self-interest is over. The damage has already been done.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

very very interesting! thnx for posting the article about the Great Dying!

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
This is extremely bad news - there are some very similar holes in the seabed off the coast of Norway, where methane hydrates subliminated in the past. Methane is a more powerful greenhouse than CO2.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by quedup

It is so stupid that government did not act when they had a chance too. Its no good debating if climate change is man made or not. It is not a gamble worth taking....

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by murkraz
In all honesty, you only have this mentality because it has accounted for your life thus far.
Never doubt this planet. You have no idea what the future will hold. NONE.

I am provoking the elite to actually do something, hence change.
As for Mother Gaia. Don't even bother with her. At her slow rate this planet will turn into another Mars before she bothers to do anything about the toxic industries that pollute her everyday. Look no further than the BP disaster in the Gulf of Mexico for proof of that fact.

I say, bring it on. Lets have a major catastrophy. Lets see mother Gaia unleash her anger and wipe out mankind.
Its about time the continental shelf off the canary islands collapsed.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join