It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fountains of Methane 1000m across Erupt From Arctic Ice!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by quedup

I try to,but I will stray sometimes.
Sorry,

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
**ATTENTION**

Please post on topic.

Jokes are reserved for the Off-Topic section of ATS.

Thank You

~Keeper
ATS Moderator

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I'm sorry.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Nice topic, I posted a thread about something similar, depletion of the oxygen levels in our atmosphere.

The emission of different gases by the planet is a concern.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I will do the same. This whole 'global warming' ..... oops, they corrected it to 'climate change' thing stinks. And aslo confirms man's massive ego in believing that he is the begin all and end all. Also, it irretates me tremendously how people luv to indulge in their guilt over this thing.'WE are sooo guilty, please whip us with cap and trade?? Pleeeeze....!'.

I cant watch the news here at the moment cause the 'Global climate conference' is on in Durban and I am soooo sick of hearing how people are all up in arms outside the ICC building because TPTB are not doing anything and are going to cause us all to die!! Every day they interview activist, sometimes crying, begging to please take the next step.

Let her fart, hiccup and laugh if she wants to, we have always been at her mercy, and will always be. I would rather die at her harmonious hand than live a dead life by the hand of the NWO.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
could a huge release of methane ever disrupt the planets ability to reproduce oxygen?

this story gives me a weird thought of a possible mass human die off through unbreathable air.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Don't worry about that, this kind of thing has happened before in geologic history, and the main effect is the greenhouse properties of all that methane. All that methane would be broken down, with a half life of eight years methinks, into CO2 and H2 methinks, and CO2 is used in photosynthesis. In the hotter, wetter world that is likely to be a result of this offgassing more forests will likely occur so there will probably be more photosynthesis. In short, don't worry about not being able to breathe
edit on 13-12-2011 by Mkoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Interesting idea:

...could a huge release of methane ever disrupt the planets ability to reproduce oxygen?

We could certainly use some math, and calculate the amounts required. Keeping in mind that currently our mix of atmospheric gases includes about 21% oxygen.

SO, you can calculate and deterrnine the total volume of atmosphere, below the tropopause) since the troposphere is were most of life on Earth survives presently).

This would be a fun mental exercise. Also, to include how methane that is present in the atmosphere is incorporated by the various mechanisms inherent in the Earth's biosphere processes.

Also, the chemistry of th4 methane molecule, and how it interacts.with other molecules, this is all fascinating.....however I would point to the various examples of, say....volcanic eruption events that have been recorded in recent times, since we (Humans) have been technologically viable. And, able to make such measurements.

LOTS of data to pore over.......

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Does anyone else think that the the ice sheets of Greenland and Antarctica will melt because of this? I heard in my Earth Systems History class that if that were to happen the sea level would rise 60m. Great flood anyone?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ProudBird

I looked this up recently:

First some formulae... volume of sphere: V = (4/3)*pi*r^3 surface area of sphere: A = 4*pi*r^2 And one value which needs to be known... mean radius of earth in kilometers: 6370km Using these, we can easily calculate all of the values you wish. I will assume that by surface area, you want the surface area of the outer "shell" of that atmospheric layer. I will also assume that when you ask for the volume of an atmospheric layer, you want the volume of the layer itself, and not the volume of the entire Earth and its lower layers, plus that layer. To find that, we simply find the inner volume (Vi) of the Earth plus all the lower layers, and subtract this from the total outer volume (Vo). ----Troposphere, 15km A = 4pi(6370km+15km)^2 = 4pi(6385km)^2= 5.12x10^8km^2 (512 million square kilometers) Vo (troposphere) = (4/3)pi(6370km+15km)^3 = (4/3)pi(2.603x10^11)km^3= 1.09x10^12km^3 Vi (Earth) = (4/3)pi(6370km)^3 = (4/3)pi(2.585x10^11)km^3= 1.083x10^12 km^3 Vo-Vi (troposphere-Earth) = 7.67x10^9km^3 (7.67 billion cubic kilometers)

yahoo answers

edit on 14-12-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: linkypoo

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   

THESE PLUMES ARE THE RESULT OF ANTHROPOGENIC GLOBAL WARMING.

WHY DON'T PEOPLE GET THIS.... WHY DON'T THEY READ.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
So we have a cracked methane pocket, that could potentially burst open, possibly causing an extinction level event.....Hmmm??? 2012 is right around the corner, maybe the Mayans were right after all......

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by NoHierarchy

Or maybe.....just a natural process of the Earth's long-term climate?

Yeah, some might be due to human activity, but there is a great deal of science that shows the effects of Global Climate variations, long before Humans were a dominant technological species.

Don't get me wrong, I am ALL FOR investigation into Human activities and possible influences on our environment....gosh knows we are doing that, and HAVE done that, in "spades".

Just think about it ("climate alteration") in terms of spans of years that exceed the normal lifespans of people.

We must NOT "over-react" just yet. Much still to be learned....and as I've mentioned elsewhere.....it is usually a centuries-long process anyhow.

I have "faith" in only one thing.....technology, and Human inventiveness to achieve, through technology, its goals.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   

I feel like that is the case, but after the turning point anthropogenic global warming will be rendered irrelevant

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus
reply to post by Vitchilo

Methane requires the presence of oxygen to burn, though. That puts a crimp in the "burn it" strategy, as once it reaches the surface, its already to diffuse to ignite, and it doesnt come from just one small hole or something, so piping it would be nigh impossible. A lot of the methane actually dissipates into the ocean as it rises, lowering oceanic oxygen levels. Thats one theory behind some major marine extinction events of the past.

thats a brilliant bit of deductive reasoning...

If only everybody on ATS could think so rationally and logically this would be such an awesome website.

If that is the case the mass deaths of marine life seems to indicate things have been getting bad for a couple of years at the very least.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by quedup

and oddly enough, it has nothing to do with mankind.

guess that anthropomorphic crap is out the window again, eh?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProudBird

Or maybe.....just a natural process of the Earth's long-term climate?

Yeah, some might be due to human activity, but there is a great deal of science that shows the effects of Global Climate variations, long before Humans were a dominant technological species.

Don't get me wrong, I am ALL FOR investigation into Human activities and possible influences on our environment....gosh knows we are doing that, and HAVE done that, in "spades".

Just think about it ("climate alteration") in terms of spans of years that exceed the normal lifespans of people.

We must NOT "over-react" just yet. Much still to be learned....and as I've mentioned elsewhere.....it is usually a centuries-long process anyhow.

I have "faith" in only one thing.....technology, and Human inventiveness to achieve, through technology, its goals.

The hippies fail to realize the earth enabled us to live. That one little fact always evades them. They don't accept the foundation of that fact and they never take it to a logical conlusion. Because, well, logic evades them like Rosie Odonnel evades lettuce.
edit on 14-12-2011 by tangonine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
On another forum, they brought up the problem being hydgrogen sulfide, somehow a byproduct of ancient bacteria that is released that feeds off of this methane, and that it creates a poison, heavy gas filling the atmosphere. Brought up Russia fires 2010. And other items. He said the atmosphere is gradually being filled up with this heavy gas and being poisoined now.

www.appropedia.org...

Process

There are a number of bacteria that are involved in the process of anaerobic digestion including acetic acid-forming bacteria (acetogens) and methane-forming bacteria (methanogens). These bacteria feed upon the initial feedstock, which undergoes a number of different processes converting it to intermediate molecules including sugars, hydrogen & acetic acid before finally being converted to biogas. ...

The biological process of acidogenesis is where there is further breakdown of the remaining components by acidogenic (fermentative) bacteria. Here VFAs are created along with ammonia, carbon dioxide and hydrogen sulfide as well as other by-products. The process of acidogenesis is similar to the way that milk sours.

www.killerinourmidst.com...

Meanwhile the sulfate-reducers would have pumped out a second gas, which for them is a waste gas: hydrogen sulfide (H¸2S), toxic both to marine organisms and those along affected coasts. The toxicity of hydrogen sulfide, in fact, is comparable to that of hydrogen cyanide (HCN), which is used in gas chambers. This toxicity is due to hydrogen sulfide's ability to combine with the iron found in numerous organic molecules, such as hemoglobin. Even the sulfate-reducers themselves are vulnerable to hydrogen sulfide poisoning, though the hydrogen sulfide gas typically combines rapidly with iron ions found in seawater, producing an insoluble black (iron sulfide) residue which colors the nearby sediments (Brock and Madigan, 1988, p. 578)....

In December of 2003, more than two hundred Chinese perished and some ten thousand needed medical assistance from a release of hydrogen sulfide triggered by an explosion at a natural gas field. An area some 25 square kilometers (10 square miles) in extent was affected.

The Chinese deaths point up one important characteristic of hydrogen sulfide: it is heavier than air...

Hydrogen sulfide may have played a major role in the end-Permian extinction...

In addition, however, the hydrogen sulfide may have breached its marine confinement and escaped into the atmosphere (Kump, 2005)

I would wonder if there is a way to tap the methane into fuel? Energy?
edit on 14-12-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join