It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fountains of Methane 1000m across Erupt From Arctic Ice!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
I have no doubt that when you are choking, dehydrating or drowning from the flatulence and effluvium of industrial capitalism run amok, you will still be flying the flag for your right to pollute and be damned in the name of free enterprise.

Hahaha. It won't happen. The aliens will come along and clean the planet.
I will laugh because the conservationists couldn't be bothered to stuff the toxic waste down the elitists throuts in the first place.
Where are the extremists conservationists? Have they burnt Wall Street to the ground yet? No.
The Brits, French and the Greeks do it best. The Brits burn towns, the French bring France to a grinding halt with road blocks and the Greeks throw petrol bombs into the banks.
What do the americans do? Nothing. OWS- what a laugh.

The time for arguing with those blinded by greed and self-interest is over. The damage has already been done.

So are you going to kill off the greedy politicians today. If you don't, this world is screwed even more.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

It is the warming we have caused that released the methane in the first place. If you had listened to the "eco-nazis" ten years ago, we might not have been in this situation. Now it is too late.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
If global warming is man made, here's the real reason....try looking up....

P.M. Borisov, "Can we Control the Arctic Climate?", Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, March, 1969, pp. 43-48.

Russian scientists have been considering melting the Arctic Ice Cap intentionally since the 50's and 60's.

Don't blame it on corporations. Blame it on your governments and their experiments.

I'm betting that they blow each other up first before climate becomes our greatest concern.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I am pretty sure such is going on for a long time already.
The fact they just discovered this doesn't mean it didn't happen before...

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
So when will the air get privatized...

...and how much will a cubic meter of Oxygen cost me..

Not looking good is it..

Cosmic..

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by C0bzz

Help an idiot out here.............the positive thing is a misnomer then? In terms of us, it actually isn't that good?

The "positive" is a technical term that refers to the type of feedback, not its desirability from a human point of view. If a change in a system causes more change to happen in the same direction, it is called positive feedback. If a change in a system causes a reverse change restoring the original state, it is called negative feedback. In this context, negative feedback is desirable because it restores the original state while positive feedback is undesirable because it causes runaway changes.

edit on 14-12-2011 by Observor because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
At this point of time debating whether the globe is warming or not and if it is, whether the primary contributor is human lifestyle or not is completely meaningless. Even if we did have some control at some point of time in the past, we are past that as evidenced by the methane emissions. The best that scientists can do now is to develop models to predict climate change, so that we can prepare for it in the best way we can, rather than attempt to stop the change.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
This was predicted. As the world begins to warm frozen methane is going to thaw and accelerate the warming process. More heat=more energy=wilder weather and if ocean currents start changing? like say the gulf stream? well folks all bets are off.

Perhaps we should of spent a little less time warring with each other and spent more time reading the instructions for the thermostat.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Some pictures of these areas would allow for the public to see how serious this can get. Thanks OP for the update on the chemical Earth balance...

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Observor
At this point of time debating whether the globe is warming or not and if it is, whether the primary contributor is human lifestyle or not is completely meaningless. Even if we did have some control at some point of time in the past, we are past that as evidenced by the methane emissions. The best that scientists can do now is to develop models to predict climate change, so that we can prepare for it in the best way we can, rather than attempt to stop the change.

That's what I never could understand. The continued debate rather than the development of safe guards, I.E. climate proof food development. Coastal relocation plans or structure developments to limit life loss if the water rises.

I don't think science can disprove that this earth has changed a million times of it's life that had absolutely nothing to do with humans, so why should we not adapt to the change versus trying to change it itself?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Smh @ those who deny climate changes due to FEAR.

A warmer Earth from pollution emissions from?(things polluting) -factories /cars ect?? and more green house gasses and SOL solar concentrates CMEs ect. will warm up cool water belts as well as melt cool regions of ice which in turn disrupts the water belts warm and cold movements causing sea current changes in the water bodies GLOBAL. These sea currents control the GLOBAL Weather (any strange weather seen yet)
carrying basically the warm and cold weather influencing water temps. The Gulf of Mexico spill/SICK or whatever it was broke or effected the loops in the gulf which effects the overall global domino effected sea currents. So as the Earth warms its pulling a trigger to cool itself. Normal sea currents effect the weather ADD METHANE LONGtime* FROZEN SHEETS TO MATRIX WARMING UP UNDER SEAS GLOBAL THEN RELEASE OF MORE CHEMICAL METHANE FROM SOLID TO GAS TRANSFER AND BASICALLY -these times are not to hard to understand UNLESS FEAR BLINDS YOUR EYES.

So vehicles/ factories emitting pollutants into the air effecting atmosphere protection allows more solar rays trapped inside atmosphere artificial WARMING* Earth artificial Warms and begins to stabilize itself. WE CAN ALWAYS CUT ALL THE FACTORIES OFF STOP DRIVING VEHICLES FOR MANY YEARS AND STOP STRIP MINING EARTH BUT YOU KNOW what can I say??? I guess a nuclear war would just WARM THINGS UP A BIT
who likes a super warm hot home

NAMASTE*******

edit on 12/14/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Very very good find.

This show that us humans are puny and earth will do whatever she has to do.

I'm sure those vents are producing in a week way way way more greenhouse gases than all of humanity has produced in the last thousand years.

Now I'll just print this and show this to the still brainwashed ``we must cut our CO2 and pay carbon taxes`` eco-nazis in my family... maybe that'll wake them up.
edit on 13-12-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

Do you seriously not "get it"

These puny humans and their weak carbon emissions caused the permafrost to start melting which is the reason this methane is being released.

How the hell can people still be in denial? The bulk of global warming effects the poles, and this is exactly what we're seeing. These same methane bubbles are going on in antartica.

This hasn't happened in at least 400,000 years. Nothing besides human beings starting the industrial revolution accounts for this. Nothing.

Are you people in this much damned denial?

Do you not make the OBVIOUS connection here?

Seriously

WTF????

edit on 14-12-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
But maybe there is hope,will will be saved by methane consuming microbes.Yeah!

Defusing the Methane Greenhouse Time Bomb Could methane-digesting bacteria and an Arctic cap of fresh water prevent a climate catastrophe?

www.scientificamerican.com...

Could use it as the new oil industry. You could power stations with this, if you could find a way to extract it. Isnt this a good thing when it comes to new ways to make electricity available to the masses?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Okay so I don't know much since I've got little time to do proper research SO PARDON my possible stupidities but.........:

My frist thought about reading the entire thread is that if the methane will heaten up the air this could cause the ice to melt-> melted ice a.ka cold water speeds up the melting process of the ice -> all the cold water could flow into the sea...... Could the cold water affect the oceanic currents ( change of temperature of the ocean ) and so affect the temperature to drop drastically on land? ?????( colder seawater, colder air blowing in? )

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Observor

Thanks so much for explaining that......although now i'm slightly more worried than i was before, and that was pretty damn worried!

I wouldn't have given two hoots in the past but having children now, well it puts a different spin on things.....
edit on 14-12-2011 by Flavian because: Having a Homer moment with spelling

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lykantroph11
Could the cold water affect the oceanic currents ( change of temperature of the ocean ) and so affect the temperature to drop drastically on land? ?????( colder seawater, colder air blowing in? )

The film 'The Day After Tomorrow' showed this where fresh water from the Artic flowed into the 'North Atlantic Drift' that is joined to the 'Gulf Stream'. When this happened the whole of the northern hemisphere started to change in a very VERY bad way.
Salt makes water freeze at a lower temp than 0 centigrade. More fresh water = freezing point nearer 0. I think salt water freezes at -4 degrees cent. Can someone verify this?
Hollywood love to overdramatise things. Notice in the film where they show the satellite image of the northern hemisphere, you can see 3 giant cyclones that look like 6's (666).
edit on 14-12-2011 by UncoolSam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Oh dear this isn't good. Isn't there trillions of tons of unstable methane hydrates locked up in the ocean floor. I read somewhere a temperature rise of a couple of degrees could potentially cause them to destabalise and start a run away release. They're locked up due to pressure and temperature. The pressure is unlikely to change but it seems the temperature might. If that happens the antarctic might end up being a nice piece of real estate as anywhere near the equater might be a little too hot.
edit on 14-12-2011 by Hopeforeveryone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by quedup

Plus I can assure you the planet is cooling!

It is December, normally, from beginning December or earlier till early March or late Feb gets very very hot here.

I wore a jersey (jumper) AGAIN today, because it is nippy. Summer? WHat summer?

Even in Europe (Italy) where we lived in the town of Treviso 2008 to beginning 2010: Treviso has for centuries been getting about 1 hour of snow in perhaps every two years. ONE hour of snow does not look like this:

(Don't know what's cutting, but I can't upload images at the moment. Done it 3 times but still no joy. Will post this pic we took Christmas 2009 later.) But to fill you in, it snowed for weeks and weeks on end. Even in 2008, the same thing.
A real pity I can't get this pic up, it is really stunning, well, for someone that comes from supposedly sunny South Africa. Supposedly, cause where is the sun these days?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
reply to post by quedup

It is so stupid that government did not act when they had a chance too. Its no good debating if climate change is man made or not. It is not a gamble worth taking....

I think they have been secretly acting.

educate-yourself.org...

I remember the 9 nukes that they exploded in the arctic sea near the north pole, believed to punch a hole in the crust. Russia had done the same thing a few years back as well.

All the seismic stuff thats happening, while some may be natural, can't help but think of nukes alot when they do, read something about a certain sized bomb created a quake just over 5 on the richter scale.

I think they've been doing a lot, just nothing we ever would have wanted.

I think things aren't going fast enough for them and they're trying to meet a schedule here, for doom.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by quedup

I don't know about the earth but I know I feel much better when I release gas,
is that basically the gist of it?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join