It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fountains of Methane 1000m across Erupt From Arctic Ice!

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I found this post to be very scary after lots of thought.

I mean this kind of thing killed 80% + of everything on the planet. But the lack of information which way it could go is disturbing meaning is it going to get Warmer, or Colder and when would we know ?

Is our atmosphere going to become intolerable to humans, or will our tech protect us?

With the lack of information we get from our government and the fact our news media will not cover stories like this it is infuriating.Has been for years.

Another reason to like ATS, Great Topic, Go Tebow!

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
the lack of coverage and a non concern from the government could
mean it just hasnt enough merit to be a "real" impending disaster.
I have been watching the science behind this unfolding scenario for years
and I will agree that the earth is heading for a change, but, this could be a
process that may take 100 years or more to really turn into catastrophe.
One should always take info like the OP brought to the table with a grain of
sea salt.. the canary Island volcano was freakin people out here a few weeks
ago thinking the east coast was in for a giant tsunami,. that hasnt happened.

edit on 14-12-2011 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Die offs of Birds and Sea animals of recent, this would be the top of my list for the cuase of them. In esoteric terms, or if you have any belief in esoteric philosophical end times....

The final 5th world according to the Mayan Prophecy is related to ether..

Think about it.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Good point, even if there were a massive amount of methane released how long would it take to have an effect on us? Could be soon, could be long after we are worm food.
The very fact we have the ability to monitor this and know of its existence before it goes on for long makes me want to invent a biodegradable methane gas scrubber to dump into areas that are producing gas, we can make millions!!

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Lol. If this did have any merit, it would probably be in Drudge. Plus look at the chronology of events. Climategate 1.0, Global warming turns to Climate change, Climategate 2.0, and now this? Things were looking bad for the NWO, so they had to resort to a story like this, or if it's real, they actually released methane into the air when they got out of eyeshot.

I find that much more possible than to just be sailing along, "researching", and you happen upon some large methane release. Secrets like this go on all the time.

Everyone please just keep your head on straight.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by quedup

I don't believe that UK Source, sounds like globalist propaganda to me. Global warming= Control

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

So the guy you were answering is correct then and not an idiot.. You just showed him he was right.

Humans release nearly 10 Tg per year and these Arctic gas emmissions account to arounf 7 Tg per year.

3x7=21Tg equivilent to what we release as fossil fuels each three years because the methane is 3 times more harmful than other emmissions.
edit on 12/14/2011 by Ironclad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

Originally posted by JBA2848
I would almost adventure to say this is propaganda from Russia so they can start drilling and capturing gas in the Arcrtic. They have been wanting to do it for a long time now and they will create a fake problem that they will solve by moving in on the Arctic ice for drilling.
edit on 14-12-2011 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

Lol. Yeah right. Some Russian scientists watched the History Channel Mega Disaster episode about an ELE type methane explosion, and used the idea to create a false problem:

Hey, that's as good a conspiracy theory as any, and I'll be amazed to see you prove it. IF you could prove it...

Just think about what BMW and other companies have said.

A 386,000-square-mile tract of permafrost in Siberia contains as much as 55 billion tons of potential methane, Walter says —10 times the amount currently in the atmosphere. Several companies, including BMW, have expressed interest in methane-to-energy technologies for large-scale operations. Walter sees the benefits of using methane as an energy source as twofold: “Not only does it prevent a potent greenhouse gas from entering the atmosphere by converting it to weaker greenhouse gases—water vapor and carbon dioxide—but using it on-site would also reduce the demand for other fossil-fuel sources.”

discovermagazine.com...

Like I said Russia could be trying to push propaganda that methane could destroy the world unless they tap this methane deposit and sell it to the world. And it would not be a bad business for them to get into. The world would probly pay them billions to do it so the world would not blow up and they make a fortune selling it and solve their own fossil fuel problems. And don''t forget the UN might give Russia the rights to the land in the arctic.

In a multinational race to seize the potential riches of the formerly icebound Arctic, being laid bare by global warming, Russia is the early favorite.

Within the next year, the Kremlin is expected to make its claim to the United Nations in a bold move to annex about 380,000 square miles of the internationally owned Arctic to Russian control.

At stake is an estimated one-quarter of all the world's untapped hydrocarbon reserves, abundant fisheries, and a freshly opened route that will cut nearly a third off the shipping time from Asia to Europe.

www.businessinsider.com...

So why would they not push propaganda to try and get the UN to give them money to start capturing methane to replace oil and save the world from a explosion not to mention global warming they could stop?

And when you here talk about methane gas in Alaska. Just remember they are already trying to figure out how to start mining it for selling.

www.netl.doe.gov...

www.netl.doe.gov...
edit on 14-12-2011 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by rick004

The idea is that it gets hot enough to melt the ice caps, we experience global flooding and then when the earth begins to cool, we get an ice age due to excess liquid water

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Hi Guys - I'm back again - sorry if you thought I'd abandoned all of the responses but being Down Under here in New Zealand means it's a bit difficult to keep a conversation going with those in the Northern Hemisphere re time difference.

I've read most of the answers and intend spending the time to read the others. I've tried to respond to as many as I am able though some are way over my head and I appreciate the efforts you have all made in contributing to an issue that affects us all whether we understand it or not. The science of it all does not detract from the fact that we are all concerned and hope to be able to understand it by coming to threads such as ATS.

There have been many extremely interesting ideas bounced around and it's good to see that those who have a scientific background trying to make others like myself understand even though among these members their are naturally differing views. That helps too. There's always two sides to the coin and scientific theory is just that until it becomes fact.

I sincerely hope some of you are wrong and some of you are right but either way I myself believe that everything is cyclical - we only need look at nature in general to see that - it all goes round and round and round and we ourselves are part of nature - why wouldn't we be too? When a tree sheds it's leaves there isn't a trace of the old leaves left and there's only the trunk to remember what it once held perhaps we are the same - I can't see why not.

I just hope like we all do that the trunk survives what ever is coming our way.

It's been a very interesting thread to follow but it's time to butt out and catch up on those I haven't read - hope you all feel the same.

Thank You All for your very eye opening contributions.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

You are correct.

Drilling and Production Testing the Methane Hydrate Resource Potential Associated with the Barrow Gas Fields

Research Org Borough Of North Slope
Sponsoring Org USDOE

Once project scope was developed, a procurement process was implemented to engage the necessary service and equipment providers, and finalize project cost estimates. Based on cost proposals from vendors, total project estimated cost is $17.88 million dollars, inclusive of design work, permitting, barging, ice road/pad construction, drilling, completion, tie-in, long-term production testing and surveillance, data analysis and technology transfer. The PRA project team and North Slope have recommended moving forward to the execution phase of this project.

Something else to consider:

Evidence for a Global Warming at the Termination I Boundary and Its Possible Cosmic Dust Cause

On the other hand, evidence of an elevated cosmic ray flux and of a major interstellar dust incursion around 15,800 years B.P. suggest that a cosmic ray wind driven incursion of interstellar dust and gas may have played a key role through its activation of the Sun and alteration of light transmission through the interplanetary medium.

So, how much influence do we have on cosmic dust?

However, since the climatic system incorporates negative feedback relationships which give it some degree of stability and tend to maintain it in a given climatic state, be it glacial or interglacial, destabilizing perturbations must exceed a certain critical size if they are to effect any large-scale change. Those that are too small in magnitude or duration will fail to change the system's prevailing climatic state. Weather noise probably belongs to this subcritical category.
emphasis mine

I think we've had a few volcanoes that have lofted more particulates and other greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere, etc than all human activity combined.

TA, do you have any data on volcanic eruption volumes that can be compared with estimated human pollution volume?

It has been suggested that global synchrony might have been achieved through some kind of interhemispheric linking, such as changes in atmospheric CO2 concentration (Corlis, 1982; Manabe and Broccoli, 1985; Johnson and Andrews, 1986). However, by itself, CO2 produces a relatively small greenhouse warming effect. For example, the Vostok ice core measurements of Barnola et al. (1987) show that at the end of the ice age CO2 concentration rose by 25% from 195 ppm to 260 ppm
emphasis mine

Ok, so what about methane?

Compared with carbon dioxide, methane underwent a much larger percentage increase at the end of the ice age, doubling from about 360 ppb to 725 ppb, as determined from measurements of the Summit, Greenland ice core (Chappellaz et al, 1993). However, since its absolute concentration is 1000 fold less than that of CO2, it is not a major contributor to greenhouse warming. Rather, its increase also is most likely a response to climatic change rather than an instigator, the rise in CH4 concentration being attributed to the increased abundance of vegetation which is a major producer of this gas
emphasis mine

Again, it seems as though methane is a trailing indicator rather than an initiating factor in considering changes in climate.

However, studies of benthic foraminifera in the Atlantic suggest that NADW production did not flip to its interglacial high-flux mode until around 12,500 14C yrs B.P., or about 500 14C years after the onset of the Bölling (Jansen and Veum, 1990; Veum et al., 1992; Charles and Fairbanks, 1992). So, the onset of NADW production cannot be the agent that caused the rapid warming at the beginning of the Böllin

So the diluting of the salinity is a trailing indicator to fluctuations in temperature.

The dramatic climatic shifts that took place during the Pleistocene may have had an extraterrestrial cause. One indication comes from the occurrence in ice age polar ice of high concentrations of 10Be, a 1.5 Myr half-life isotope generated when cosmic ray protons impact nitrogen and oxygen nuclei in the atmosphere (Raisbeck et al., 1981, 1987; Beer et al., 1984a, 1985, 1988, 1992).

For example, the profiles shown in Figures 6 and 7 suggest that the cosmic ray background intensity was quite
high on several past occasions.

(click on thumbnail for larger image)

A variety of evidence indicates that the core of our Galaxy (Sgr A*), which lies 23,000 light years away, releases intense volleys of relativistic electrons about every 10 4 years or so, and that these fronts, or galactic superwaves, travel radially outward through the Galaxy with such minimal dispersion that at the time of their passage they are able to elevate the cosmic ray background energy density in the solar neighborhood as much as 10^2 to 10^3 fold above current levels.

That's a pretty substantial increase in background cosmic energy density.

Galactic superwaves are sufficiently intense and prolonged that they would propel the resulting interstellar/nebular dust and gas into the solar system which would have had a substantial effect on the Earth-Sun climate system.

But the thing said dust, right?

There is plenty of frozen material both in and around the solar system which could be vaporized and propelled into the inner solar system by a Galactic superwave. Observations of infrared excesses in nearby stars suggest that the solar system, like these other star systems, is surrounded by a light-absorbing dust shell, and may contain about 103 times more dust than had been previously supposed on the basis of IRAS observations of the zodiacal dust cloud (Aumann, 1988)

Got it, space dust. Lots of it everywhere throughout space near stars. Makes sense.

The unusually high concentrations of HF and HCl acids found in Byrd Station, Antarctic ice dating about 15,800 year B.P., may be residues from one such interstellar dust incursion. Hammer, et al. (1997) note that it is difficult to explain these eight peaks as having a volcanic origin because the combined acid output which spans a period of about a century exceeds by 18 fold the largest volcanic signal observed in the Byrd ice core record and also because the recurrence of the events is unusually regular, a behavior that is not seen in volcanic eruptions.

Too regular to be volcanic, got it. Things in space rotate and operate in cyclical patterns.

The subsequent deglacial warming could have been due to a combination of factors: a) destruction of the ozone layer due to the presence of interstellar halides allowing UV penetration, b) increase of the solar constant due to light backscattered from the zodiacal dust cloud, c) shift of the incident solar spectrum to the infrared resulting in greater absorption of the solar beam (reduced scattering from high albedo surfaces), and d) a major increase in the Sun's luminosity and activation of its photosphere and corona due to the dust's effect on the Sun (LaViolette, 1983a, 2005).

More space dust, LOTS more. Dust digging out holes in the ozone layer (what no SUVs?), dust adding to the ambient background warmth of near-sol space, dust acting like a lens concentrating solar radiation on the earth, and dust causing the sun to heat up.

Got it, space dust.

Available data suggests that these warmings were initiated neither by changes in atmospheric CO2 concentration nor by a major alteration in the rate of North Atlantic deep-water production. Moreover it is not clear whether these mechanisms are capable of producing warmings and coolings of the kind of magnitude, geographical extent, and abruptness observed at the Termination I boundary. Polar ocean front migrations and weather fluctuations also do not offer an adequate explanation

hmm

Evidence that the solar system resides in a dust congested environs, of a current influx of interstellar dust, of acid residues in 15,800 year old polar ice bearing a solar cycle signature, of episodes of accelerated deposition of cosmogenic beryllium, Ir, and Ni during the Pleistocene, and of intense solar flare activity at the end of the ice age together suggest that the Termination I29 deglaciation, and other climatic transitions before it, may have been extraterrestrially induced.

But how are you gonna blame the earthlings for this?

Such extraterrestrial disturbances could account for the abruptness and global coherence of climatic transitions observed in the terrestrial record. Moreover such short-period stochastic forcings could account for a large percentage of the variance in the Earth's ice volume record which is not explained by orbital cycle forcing.

Um, still can't hang this hat in anyone's house yet.

edit on 15-12-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: more to say

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by rick004
I'm not very savy to the science behind this but all this methane , would it not mean that the planet would get hotter as opposed to another ice age ??

Only for a relatively short period. Global warming triggers ice ages, this can be seen in the geological record and in the ice cores taken in Antarctica. If enough greenhouse gasses are released fast enough causing rapid melting of the polar ice caps then it can cause great shifts in the ocean's temperature regulating currents triggering significant temperature drops in the northern and southern hemispheres, causing a return to the ice age.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Not 1 Typhoon has hit mainland China in 2011, except for a couple passing over the sparsely populated Hainan Island.....China ain't seen 1 Typhoon this year.

As they win the Weather War in the Pacific mankind may have altered Pacific Ocean currents sending warm water where it's not supposed to be.

Plus Japan's nuclear criticality sending Neutron Beams shooting into space and down into the Earth.....they may have heated the frozen methane clutter deep in the Earth's crust surrounding the globe.

.....and Humans thought they were an Intelligent Life Form.........

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by quedup

Thanks the post.... more doom and gloom to look forward too.... just what we need!!

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMatrixusesYou
Lol. If this did have any merit, it would probably be in Drudge. Plus look at the chronology of events. Climategate 1.0, Global warming turns to Climate change, Climategate 2.0, and now this? Things were looking bad for the NWO, so they had to resort to a story like this, or if it's real, they actually released methane into the air when they got out of eyeshot.

Climategate 1.0 - Misunderstood leaked emails jumped by the deniers who failed miserably in understanding them
Global warming turns to climate change - add in weather as well and you have deniers inability to understand the difference and connection between weather, climate and global warming.
Climategate 2.0 - Repeat of 1.0 DUH!. Honestly. THis is ATS didn't the timing of leaked emails v2.0 ring any alarm bells with sticky labels on them saying "warning hidden egenda". Or is denial so entrenched.

Everyone who is honestly trying to distribute information is caught juggling several balls:
1. Too much information causing unnecessary panic.
2. Too early information (incomplete and/or mistaken) causing cries of "lies lies lies" by the conspiracists.
3. Not enough information causing cries of cover-up

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Here is the scientific albeit politically incorrect explanation: given the effects of increased Co2 due to human activity, the arctic has experienced warming temperatures resulting in melting perma frost including where it covers large methane gas reservoirs which, until now, have been locked in by the perma-frost. The methane gas will now result in a positive feedback effect causing accelerated warming resulting in severe consequences for our civilization and the natural world. Even worse, some people face the nightmare situation of having to admit that the duly elected 43rd President of the U.S., Al Gore, is right.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMatrixusesYou
Lol. If this did have any merit, it would probably be in Drudge.

Everyone please just keep your head on straight.

Given that it confirms the effects of global warming, GOP political sites such as Drudge will censor this story from the rest of the GOP party drivel they publish

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
Who will Gore send the carbon tax bill to?

Sounds like trillions of dollars to be made...

The Earth is following its own geological clock and laughing hysterically at Al Gore
and his minions.

Eventually Peace & Tranquility will replace the Deception & Fear spread by Al Gore.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
We need more CO2 to keep this planet warm during 2014.

"In his capacity of the head of the Russian-Ukrainian project "Astrometria" on the Russian segment of the International Space Station, Abdussamatov is conducting additional research to refine his prediction that a new Little Ice Age will begin in 2014. "

Read more: New Ice Age 'to begin in 2014' www.wnd.com...

Lets not forget how the mad scientists thought they had every right to erase history and 'accidentely' forget about the mini ice age in medieval Europe. Yes, lets forget that the Thames river in London froze over and the king and his merry men had a party on the thick ice !!!! Somehow it melted without the help from dirty coal powered power stations. Now what made the ice melt ?

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Suppose the NWO had gone along to the Ruskies and Chinese 40 yrs ago and said: look there is an ice age coming within a hundred yrs you are going to lose nearly all of your territories to the ice sheets. Come in with us and we'll work towards a one world gov - you become a bit more capitalist, we'll communise the West.

W'ell set up Europe and the M.E for civil war/collapse via PC multiculturalism, get Israel to nuke most of the Arab cities.

Misdirect all the idiots with a G.W hoax, relocate the world manufacturing towards the Equatorial regions

And when it all happens you can move into a collapsed de-populated S. Europe and M.E.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join