It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Stephen Hawking: Alien contact could be risky

page: 21
49
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by dilly1
 


Wow, you say those things in the very month that we hear Jupiter's moon may have contained life, that there are mineral deposits on Mars, and that we may have discovered a particle faster than light! What are you talking about? Humans as a species flew into the space just shortly after first flying into the sky.

It's natural for any individual human to explore the unknown, the great mysteries in life... it is no more futile an act that going into work from 9 to 5 every day. It's just part of the human experience.

What progress have you made by posting here?




posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I think that if you go off the fact that you personally haven't seen alien life, and humans have limited intellegence, and we have limited space travel capabilities. It is a dangerous and naive reality to be in.

Use your intuition if you have any. A year before my father got cancer I had this feeling that everytime I saw him it was one of my last visits. I had no reason to think or conclude this, I was 25 and barely had any experience with harsh realities. After this premonition, he got cancer and died two years later.

I also had a new next door neighbor, I had just moved in the house. I hadn't met her yet, and I thought if I meet her she is going to die. So, I put that off as best I could for two weeks. Well, she cornered me one night and I met her and listened to her stories. That night she was hauled away in an ambulance and died from stomach surgery. The whole incident left me feeling very stunned.

I feel there is a great cosmic God, and that aliens have been here repeatedly in Earth's history. Some aliens are good souls and some are pure evil. Watch Ancient Aliens, they explain it all adequately. I don't think we should go by what is on the news and what is printed in magazines and newspapers. Those are all owned by individuals who control the knowledge of reality.

Getting angry accomplishes nothing as there is nothing anyone can do. Spend your life doing things you enjoy and stop trying to control and tell others what to think. Life is very short, enjoy it.

edit on 14-12-2011 by frugal because: sp



posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
Stephen Hawking said "God does not exist"

Meaning there is no entity in the Universe effecting mankind on Earth.

Well couldn't the "Alienz" be doing it and be the "Gods"?????


Maybe they just created us to mine the Gold for them. Every 10,000 years or so they decimate us and take all the Gold...leave a few people alive to restart the process of mining the Gold.

There's a massive amount of Gold from human history missing. Nobody knows where it is.


Lol I love this post.

God does exist, human souls exist, and we have already been invaded by aliens.

We were invaded by aliens in the 1940s.

The aliens were smarter than aquiring humans for the need of physical work. They are past that. They don't need any help in anything physical from a human. They setup operations in secret, not a person knew but strange lights were seen. Around the same time a German flying saucer technology was produced and there were a lot of those in the skies also? The story gets blurry from there, but I believe that instead of physical work they wanted 'to work' with the human.



posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by lizardman
Dilly must be an unimaginative depressed realist who thinks that when he dies its just going to be a black void of nothingness and that his life of trolling will just end in a blink of an eye. Good for you dilly. The rest of us have whats called an open mind. We are not blinded by what you call lifes truths but rather open to the impossible. Go and spend your miserable life beratng any potential human or et possibilities while you type on your blackberry that you have no idea how it was made or could possibly think of.


     
“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”
Einstein.

edit on 14-12-2011 by lizardman because: (no reason given)



Lol!!!! Its amazing how you think you know me by reading what i post. Oh well, your entitled to your ignorance.

I basically call it how it is. You want to spend your tiny life on "imagination" and cracking the code on the impossible, by all means, continue..... I'll be the guy in the corner of your imagination taking a piss on your faith, symbolizing "you're wasting your life a away kid"


Why do you think Hawking and the rest of the stooges are on TV masturbating all your imaginations? Because its a drug and you need to feed and reassure your imaginations. If not you'll realize that its all bulls***. Which the elitists cannot have billions of people realizing all this is just a dam "bulls*** matrix". You are one of the trillion parts of a machine ,nothing more. And imagination is the fuel. Take away the fuel and the machine stops.


Oh , and your meaningless quote from a guy that died very confused and depressed. Wait didn't you just call me that?.. Einstein was nothing more than an old man sinking in quicksand(quicksand being a metaphor for imagination).. What the hell did he discover = confusion. Now thousands of physicist are trying to combined his theories with the micro world. Well they are all wasting there time and going about it all wrong. Science foundation is extremely flawed and no one wants to admit it.

But lizardman , go right ahead and enjoy drowning,like all the others , in your imaginative medicine.


And a bit of advice , at least try to write more than 5 sentences. This isn't school but it isn't PE either.



posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceWombat04

Originally posted by SaturnFX
I don't believe this can possibly be true. Reason being, imagine a species that arose beyond simple animal..enough to make giant weapons of mass destruction (a necessary first step towards interstellar ability) that didn't have a healthy dose of tolerance, compassion, etc.

Simply put, such a species (if it was able to actually even evolve beyond hunter) would end up destroying itself long before it even reached the nearest moon.
No compassion, no tolerance...it would be perpetual warfare beyond anything we could understand..on their planet. so, it is illogical to think this would be a likelyhood.

Whereas, a species that had hyper-inflated beleviolent tendencys would fast track to the stars due to exceptional cooperation on a global (and eventually galactic) scale...and would eventually be the "gatekeepers" of the universe.

Simple rule. 3 working together makes a monument, 3 working against each other makes craters


I can see where one might come to that conclusion, and I say this with the utmost respect, but in my opinion it is a logical fallacy to do so. The problem is that all of that is supposition. We don't know what elements or what sort of an environment might make up the worlds where other intelligent life might evolve. They might be nothing at all like life Earth. Life itself might be nothing at all like what we can imagine or what we've seen on Earth.

We don't know what evolutionary path they might follow. We don't know if all the things we assume are innate to the evolution of intelligent life (your examples, like WMDs for example... for all we know that isn't a required step for creating advanced interstellar-capable propulsion systems) really are innate anywhere else beyond our own world. Just because here we had to develop WMDs before spacefaring propulsion systems doesn't guarantee that has any bearing whatsoever on another world's technological development. All sorts of factors could impact that; factors we can't possibly predict. Their biology, how they perceive, how they communicate, how they think (do they think linearly, laterally, linguistically, or in some manner we can't even conceive of?) and other things could totally destroy any feasible analog to our own advancement that we can think of.

One of literally unlimited scenarios might be a super-cooperative, hive-like species that cooperates amongst itself, but eradicates anything else it comes across for its own benefit. Another might be a species that has developed a new form of mathematics (or its own analogue thereof) that it believes allows it to predict the future so accurately, that it decides to destroy us before we become what it believes will eventually pose a threat. Those are just two off the top of my head, constituted by things I can imagine.

We're anthropomorphising something we might not even be capable of imagining for all we know. None of the scenarios I mentioned are necessarily more probable than the benevolent, peaceful spacefaring civilization, but that doesn't render what Hawking said any less prudent in my opinion. I'm a big proponent and supporter of SETI, so don't get me wrong. But the consequences really are unpredictable at this stage. I don't think we can rationally refute that.

Just my two cents. Peace.




Right, well, I guess I should say..based on what we see and can relate to in our own understanding of how life and the universe works.
The key is to prepare for the worse, hope for the best. I think however any truely disasterous consequences from an alien civilization would at best be unintentional...germs, or simply not understanding our ways and accidently destroying half the population simply by sharing their music with us (which promptly makes our heads explode or something)...things like that..accidents over malevolent behavior type thing.

Anyhow, its all academic, however, I fully reject the idea of "we don't know, so lets turn the lights off and hide" mentality...we will meet up eventually, and best to know what we are dealing with early on verses nuke up and meet them with -our- predisposition towards warfare later on.



posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by dilly1
 


You're nothing but a troll who gets off on pooping on people's imaginary parades. Your posts contribute diddily squat. If you were truly more enlightened than the rest of us, you wouldn't be posting here in the first place. Your posts are far more futile than ours. The majority of us live contented lives and enjoy exploring curious topics, imagination is a natural brain enhancer/therapy, and it's what gets humans from point A to B, whether it's inventing a plane or figuring out an analytics mystery at work (something I do every day, very fun) or just having fun talking about the great mysteries in life. You instead live in your 'perceived' reality and call out anyone who thinks up alternatives to it... it's ridiculous and silly.
edit on 14-12-2011 by ConspiracyTruth because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-12-2011 by ConspiracyTruth because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyTruth
reply to post by dilly1
 


Wow, you say those things in the very month that we hear Jupiter's moon may have contained life, that there are mineral deposits on Mars, and that we may have discovered a particle faster than light! What are you talking about? Humans as a species flew into the space just shortly after first flying into the sky.

It's natural for any individual human to explore the unknown, the great mysteries in life... it is no more futile an act that going into work from 9 to 5 every day. It's just part of the human experience.

What progress have you made by posting here?



Progress?? You can't calculate or measure my progress. I plant seeds in all your minds.(Well not all but some), I am a reminder of reality.


So let's talk about reality. I was hoping you were going to post news about discoveries made by nasa. The funny thing is the majority have no idea what NASA is. They are one of many tentacles of the USAIRFORCE. The Airforce's motto was always been "air&space" , now its "space&air". If nasa discloses info to measly little old you I guarantee you its to masturbate your imagination(as your boyfriend lizardman like to call it),nothing more. Its to give you hope,enjoyment. So you can later post on ATS ,and say "you see , I told you". ....lol

Theories on the plausibility of life existing in satellite moons of jupiter is no discovery. Are you shocked that life could exist elsewhere? I'm pretty sure your not that surprised.

Then you talk about Neutrinos traveling faster the speed of light= Wrong!.. Its still a theory, a second test was done and it was inconclusive. What you and the rest don't GET! Is that there is not enough of human science to go around and take us to the next level. That's why we have been going in circles since the 1930's.


I know what I am talking about, you and the rest are in massive denial.

And we don't fly in space we orbit space, the day we really fly in space is when we have turned the page of being primitive apes. Only new physics can make us really "fly" in space. Right know any space craft or satellite has to use gravity to travel. Pretty pathetic if you ask me. But no you know so much and your so optimistic about the future. Spare me the major BS.

Explore the unknown? Here we go again,, jesus. You nor anyone cannot explore the unknown with what we have. Do you understand that. We have nothing just refined equipment from the 1930's.


You really don't know anything do you.



posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyTruth
reply to post by dilly1
 


You're nothing but a troll who gets off on pooping on people's imaginary parades. Your posts contribute diddily squat. If you were truly more enlightened than the rest of us, you wouldn't be posting here in the first place. Your posts are far more futile than ours. The majority of us live contented lives and enjoy exploring curious topics, imagination is a natural brain enhancer/therapy, and it's what gets humans from point A to B, whether it's inventing a plane or figuring out an analytics mystery at work (something I do every day, very fun) or just having fun talking about the great mysteries in life. You instead live in your 'perceived' reality and call out anyone who thinks up alternatives to it... it's ridiculous and silly.
edit on 14-12-2011 by ConspiracyTruth because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-12-2011 by ConspiracyTruth because: (no reason given)


Thank you ,, i take that as a complement



posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by dilly1
 


Give. Me. A. Break.

You don't think I realize NASA is a PR front? You criticize those who research UFOs, and gather info from as many sources as possible, and have concluded that aliens may be visiting, and NASA could be covering up this fact... and then you criticize those who give you the impression they don't believe in conspiracies/cover ups and follow some official story line from NASA.

We all agree on this site that there is massive disinfo and truth shielding going on by the various institutions that runt his world. You're not "unique" in that opinion. There is nothing wrong with using your imagination, personal experiences, and digestion of all the media, to come to their own conclusions about the Great Mysteries in Life. YOU don't know if ET exists or has visited, and neither do I. You're not living in a greater reality than anyone else on this board.

It's your personal belief that the alien myth is planted to distract us from other truths? Is that what I'm getting at? And it's your job to get people off that track and then lead them.... where? You've hit a dead end. Your personal belief is based on as much of your own "imagination" as any of ours. Get over yourself! You just like feeling smarter than other people, that's all there is to your posts, and everyone can see through it. Your posts are just as self-serving as ours, except at least ours aren't so antagonistic.



posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by dilly1
 


I'm glad you've found your calling in life.



posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Why do people talk about aliens coming to earth as fact? "Yes but they fold space" "They can travel across the universe at light speed"

The Fact is you know nothing. You people talk like you've seen these things getting a tune up at a garage but the fact is you're using your imagination and there's no FACT involved.



posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by steveknows
 


I think it's silly to be certain aliens have visited, too. : ) Haha, but I'll play devil's advocate - a lot of us have researched the HECK out of this topic and have gathered up fact after fact after fact relating to the subject. We might just be beyond that investigation phase, and more into the imagination phase - what does it all mean, what can we conclude, etc... again, I agree it's silly. But some of us do get tired of rehashing the basis for believing ETs may have visited over and over and over again, are already convinced based on the evidence we've researched, and want to take the conversation further than this.

Stephen Hawking also doesn't know if aliens - if they exist - would be so evil and mankind-destroying. This whole thread started out as a theoretical one. I don't see the point in contributing to this thread unless you're here to hypothesize about the different ET possibilities, frankly. Don't get it...



posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyTruth
reply to post by dilly1
 


Give. Me. A. Break.

You don't think I realize NASA is a PR front? You criticize those who research UFOs, and gather info from as many sources as possible, and have concluded that aliens may be visiting, and NASA could be covering up this fact... and then you criticize those who give you the impression they don't believe in conspiracies/cover ups and follow some official story line from NASA.

We all agree on this site that there is massive disinfo and truth shielding going on by the various institutions that runt his world. You're not "unique" in that opinion. There is nothing wrong with using your imagination, personal experiences, and digestion of all the media, to come to their own conclusions about the Great Mysteries in Life. YOU don't know if ET exists or has visited, and neither do I. You're not living in a greater reality than anyone else on this board.

It's your personal belief that the alien myth is planted to distract us from other truths? Is that what I'm getting at? And it's your job to get people off that track and then lead them.... where? You've hit a dead end. Your personal belief is based on as much of your own "imagination" as any of ours. Get over yourself! You just like feeling smarter than other people, that's all there is to your posts, and everyone can see through it. Your posts are just as self-serving as ours, except at least ours aren't so antagonistic.



If you know Nasa is a front then why do you accept there newly found discoveries as some revelation.?

I criticize anyone that thinks a flying object has to be alien based. Is that so wrong. Out of all the other possibilities people choose the alien option. I think I every right to be antagonistic.


I will criticize anyone who blindly believes a governing body(including religious blokes) with not a slightest ounce of logical explanation ,let alone proof.


That's good that we are on the same page on institutions projecting false information to the masses. Then why don't you apply it to every freakin aspect. That's why I get so antagonistic.


I don't claim to be unique. But I do claim to be the only consistent one here. You can be one way with one institution and be in denial with the other. Its either black or white. Yes having a little grey is good but that's where your imagination starts steering you away from reality. I suggest you try to open your eyes for everything not just half of it.


Your right I don't know ET exist. I could careless if ET exist or doesn't . Because we will never NEVER know. Life too short to waste on something that came from the human imagination and dwell on it based on blind faith. The same argument can be said towards religious people.


Then you say , which confuses me tremendously: "it's your personal belief that the alien myth is planted to distract us from other truth?" ...isn't that your belief too? You just admitted that I am not the only one on this board,(presuming your included off course), that there is massive disinfo and truth shielding going on by various institutions. I think your pist at me because I have awakened you from your alien fantasy dream. Your a bit confused. Its ok I understand ,, I was their too once....

I am not trying to lead you anywhere. I am trying to awaken you all who desperately believe in alien arrival and alien existence. And when I say alien I mean "little green" men not green algae. No human should be lead by another human. We are all smart here just not enough logic is being used. As if logic is not enough. I blame hollywood for that.


I haven't hit a dead end. We all have hit a dead end. You and the rest don't see that, that's why you use "imagination" to deter your reality.

I do have an imagination , I'm human right? But I don't dwell on it as if it were some "search engine" like google. I use very little of it. Imagination is (can be) very addictive. Again I blame hollywood.

Sorry for being so unfriendly



posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
i cant imagine that they would want to take our resources, we already know that there are large amounts of these resources though out our solar system, so surely they would mine the uninhabited planets as there would be less resistance. if they wanted something form this planet it would probably be us



posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by dilly1
 


What? First off, you can believe NASA is a PR front, and that it still puts out good info. I mean it's not like they hide EVERYTHING - they couldn't, haha! The stuff about Mars and Jupiter's moon came out way before NASA came out with it. I totally agree we don't know what's up or what's down due to all the disinfo and whatnot. The point I was trying to make is there is plenty of evidence ET life exists or has existed (again that stuff NASA recently announced, and the CERN stuff were rumored about and discussed at length well before there were official stories around them).

There is PLENTY of reason to believe the universe features ET life, and evidence to believe it may have interacted with our planet in the past and/or present. It's not simply about UFOs - I've studied the topic at great length, and that's just one piece of the puzzle. Again, I'm still on the fence on the topic! You're the one that is so arrogant as to assume your belief about aliens is more correct than anyone else's.

I'm not desperately awaiting some alien arrival, haha. Just like I'm not desperately awaiting some Utopian society - but I do like imagining the possibilities and teasing them out. There's nothing wrong or detrimental about that. All you're doing is comparing your imagined perceptions of the real world with other people's, and saying yours are based more on reality. That's just not true. But you can believe that if you'd like!



posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Furbs
 


So be it an opinion then. ~SheopleNation



posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mfc1PLAZMUH
 


Steven Hawking is a bitter man who is mad at God for giving him a brilliant mind and putting it into a pathetically defecient body.
And in his great brilliance he fails to see that the resources of this planet can be found on millions of other planets that do not have people living on them. He lives his life from a vantage point of scarcity. He will always be without because of it.



posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
Imagine you are part of the last survivors of your planets final hours,you are part of a fleet searching for a new planet,low on fuel,you find Earth.
You can't leave without refueling,and the Earthlings start shooting bombs at you,so you have no choice but to fight.
Of course,having the tech required to get to Earth means that your race has vastly more powerful weapons,so Earth is taken over in a matter of days.
Instant new home.

Imagine that you're this great civilization. You have the ability to travel across the universe. You have created great ships that can hold your entire population. You have made many great acheivements in technology and yet you forget to fill up the tank before you leave home??? How in heck do they know if our planet has what they need to refuel in the first place if they are just exploring?



posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by flexy123
 


Why wouldnt they travel for fun? We do. We also explore. Why would they not explore too?



posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyTruth
reply to post by dilly1
 


What? First off, you can believe NASA is a PR front, and that it still puts out good info. I mean it's not like they hide EVERYTHING - they couldn't, haha! The stuff about Mars and Jupiter's moon came out way before NASA came out with it. I totally agree we don't know what's up or what's down due to all the disinfo and whatnot. The point I was trying to make is there is plenty of evidence ET life exists or has existed (again that stuff NASA recently announced, and the CERN stuff were rumored about and discussed at length well before there were official stories around them).

There is PLENTY of reason to believe the universe features ET life, and evidence to believe it may have interacted with our planet in the past and/or present. It's not simply about UFOs - I've studied the topic at great length, and that's just one piece of the puzzle. Again, I'm still on the fence on the topic! You're the one that is so arrogant as to assume your belief about aliens is more correct than anyone else's.

I'm not desperately awaiting some alien arrival, haha. Just like I'm not desperately awaiting some Utopian society - but I do like imagining the possibilities and teasing them out. There's nothing wrong or detrimental about that. All you're doing is comparing your imagined perceptions of the real world with other people's, and saying yours are based more on reality. That's just not true. But you can believe that if you'd like!



fair enough



new topics

top topics



 
49
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

log in

join