It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: Alien contact could be risky

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaveNorris
i cant imagine that they would want to take our resources, we already know that there are large amounts of these resources though out our solar system, so surely they would mine the uninhabited planets as there would be less resistance. if they wanted something form this planet it would probably be us

i share your opinion , if "extraterrestrial entities" or "interdimensional beings" existed (i cant define them correctly as i have no proof) , material resources would be the last thing sparking their interest in our planet imo . as it has been mentioned before by other members , if "they" had the tech to travel lightyears in their hypothetical flying saucers and come all the way to this messed up junkyard of munkies ,"they" probably figured out some way to produce potable water or have gained knowledge in the science of hydroponics , possibly before delving into intergalactic travel .
if "they" were real , and we had something in us "they" long for , imho it is not material .
i mean , the worst thing that could happen to us would be friggin zombieturtlereptilianinsectoidtripod's chopping off our domes & jones and then eating them . but , depending on your belief/faith/confession/insertinsulthere even in that case life would carry on anyways , riiite ? and imo life aint you or me . life is more related to some sort of communal interconnected consciousness . i need to lay off those dutchies if im gonna post

edit on 14-12-2011 by BoB420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by dilly1

Aw, thanks!!! Glad we agree to disagree, because that's really all it is. : )

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by dilly1

Do you have faith?..... Such as in a religion?

Thanks,

Erno86

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by grubblesnert
reply to post by zorgon

Your last line referencing the misspelling of "recentnly" by the poster railing against Mr. Hawking cause me to have an epithany.
I appears to me that the vast majority of negative posts, in regards to Mr. hawking's idea, contain a lot of misspellings, bad grammar and just plain poorly thought out premise.
Perhaps we have a cabal of negativity conspiring to discredit the hostile alien theory. Perhaps the aliens themselves! Makes sense to me! The aliens being unfamiliar with our language, word structure and the like. Or, perhaps guiling us with their "poor communication skills" while in actuallty secretly implanting sublimital hypnotic mind control techniquues upon use. Yea that's the ticket!
Lucky I have my foil hat on and am impervious to such trickery

Please take note: any mispellings, bad grammar or poor premis in my response is intentional and constructed in such a way as to nullify the aliens sinister mind games.

Perhaps spell-check could have prevented the faux pas within your rant about spelling and grammar errors.
Epiphany.... oh I see, you did that on purpose.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Believe me or not, 95% of extra terrestrial/dimensional beings are "good." The other 5% are malignant and lower vibrational beings; fear of the unknown seems like a waste of energy to me lol.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I hope Stephen Hawking comes up with a way to hide city lights, the infrared signature caused by modern power production and industrial processes, and all of the free oxygen up in Earth's atmosphere. Good luck with that! Radio would be much further down the list of detectable things to look for.

If it were my call? I'd say broadcast away. It's not going to make much difference either way. Personally, I have a feeling that anybody with interstellar capability doesn't really need to be hostile. After a certain point of technological proficiency, a live and let live attitude seems like it would be much more resource efficient and carries less risk than being aggressive and having a chance meeting with somebody capable of reprisal.

Yeah, I know I don't have a PHD. (I only have a Bachelor's, and most people don't take an arts related degree too seriously anyways - even if it has technical aspects when dealing with multimedia.) However, it seems common sense - particularly when dealing with a scientific approach - would tell you this. Aliens are going to check planets showing any signs of life no matter what.

If I was a member of a space-faring species, I'd be looking for that free oxygen first. This should be easy enough to do when a planet passes by a star and that light goes through the atmosphere. Run a spectrographic analysis from whatever imager tech you have. Easy peasy, right? I know if we humans could image extrasolar planets with some proficiency, that's exactly what our scientists would be doing. (Technically, that's one thing we're not too far from doing, given another generation or two of advanced optical telescopes.)

Thus I'd know what planets to check out for life and any kind of civilization (technical or otherwise) that may be there would be incidental. The fact there's life on some observed planet is of scientific value, and it should be researched just on that merit alone. Of course any life on a planet would also be dealt with in a manner relating to the threat it poses. At this point, humanity would be pretty safe from harm considering it's fairly well gravity bound to the solar system. Without any intervention or interference, humans aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Another thing to keep in mind is that material resources are everywhere and not that unique, yet different types of life forms may be unique. Particularly multicellular organisms. Therefore living things are likely more valuable to any star-faring species when left alone in their natural state. When they get out of their "cages" they might get some attention and possibly require "clean-up", but I have a feeling it's not too big a problem.

I think zoo hypothesis and/or "prime directive" is still the best explanation other than us being first. (Or at least us being first in regards to a good chunk of the galaxy.) We just haven't heard any sqwuaking from our counterparts, as the "cages" are too far apart and perhaps well insulated from each other.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by steveknows
Why do people talk about aliens coming to earth as fact? "Yes but they fold space" "They can travel across the universe at light speed"

The Fact is you know nothing. You people talk like you've seen these things getting a tune up at a garage but the fact is you're using your imagination and there's no FACT involved.

Steve your statement is 99.999999% true. And most people just theorize what they belieeis true or use ogic that dictates E.T. must exist....thus create an entire world and reality based on that....and usually their fantasy includes these people in them as a Super Spy/MIB...who is warning the rest of us because their conscience has gotten the best of them....LOL! Sounds a bit like me! LOL! But I sleep very well thank you...even though I am always on BAND TIME!

But there are real E.T.'s and although most UFO reports and especially home made web vids...are fake.....some are not...A VERY SMALL NUMBER. And even though I get the....how do you know and why would I be allowed to post and I was even recently accussed of being a 7 year old Girl who should be spanked fornot doing her homework....that last one still has me rolling! LOL! I am who I am....and all I want out of all this is to relax...releave stress...and drink a beer in peace...without someone asking me....What was Joe Perry like? And for all you MTV generationers...Joe was a RHYTHM GUITARIST...not LEAD GUITAR! BRAD WHITFORD WAS THE LEAD. Joe looked better on TV...now that they were all older. Split Infinity

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity

Why do people talk about aliens coming to earth as fact? "Yes but they fold space" "They can travel across the universe at light speed"

The Fact is you know nothing. You people talk like you've seen these things getting a tune up at a garage but the fact is you're using your imagination and there's no FACT involved.

Steve your statement is 99.999999% true. And most people just theorize what they belieeis true or use ogic that dictates E.T. must exist....thus create an entire world and reality based on that....and usually their fantasy includes these people in them as a Super Spy/MIB...who is warning the rest of us because their conscience has gotten the best of them....LOL! Sounds a bit like me! LOL! But I sleep very well thank you...even though I am always on BAND TIME!

But there are real E.T.'s and although most UFO reports and especially home made web vids...are fake.....some are not...A VERY SMALL NUMBER. And even though I get the....how do you know and why would I be allowed to post and I was even recently accussed of being a 7 year old Girl who should be spanked fornot doing her homework....that last one still has me rolling! LOL! I am who I am....and all I want out of all this is to relax...releave stress...and drink a beer in peace...without someone asking me....What was Joe Perry like? And for all you MTV generationers...Joe was a RHYTHM GUITARIST...not LEAD GUITAR! BRAD WHITFORD WAS THE LEAD. Joe looked better on TV...now that they were all older. Split Infinity

I rest my case.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
i have also seen and read hawkings claims that we shouldnt welcome alians so lightly.
when human civilizations were expanding they did so to look for more resource and if alien races were expanding it is probably to do the same.
however i dont think the aliens know we are here even if they could see the earth.
when we look at a star that is millions of light years away we see what the star looked like all those millions years ago because it takes the light that long to reach our eyes.
Humans have only been around 150,000 or so years and advanced civilizations only 5,000 years.
in astronomical time that is almost nothing. so if an alian civilization millions of light years away were to look at earth they wouldnt see us, they would see what the earth looked like that many years ago. so instead of seeing the advanced civilization that we have today they might be seeing dinosaurs.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

ur right there is no proof aliens exsist. but there also is no proof they dont.
In 1904 the model T was invented and in 1969 a man landed on a moon. that 65 years is so insignificant in astrological time. if we did that in so little time imagine what a technologicly advanced civilization could do wit 1,000
or a million years, which still isnt that long. they could do things we dont even imagine.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ricardo1da2vinci
reply to post by SplitInfinity

ur right there is no proof aliens exsist. but there also is no proof they dont.
In 1904 the model T was invented and in 1969 a man landed on a moon. that 65 years is so insignificant in astrological time. if we did that in so little time imagine what a technologicly advanced civilization could do wit 1,000
or a million years, which still isnt that long. they could do things we dont even imagine.

What's the model T got to do with anything?

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity

Split. I've read your posts on this topic throughout these threads here on ats and I truly do admire your passion. But there's just no proof aliens are visiting earth. Please see it from my perspective. If I said I had a leprechaun in my pocket and couldn't take him out for a chat with other people when they asked for a chat with it they could only come to one conclusion. There is no leprechaun in my pocket.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057
reply to post by mfc1PLAZMUH

Steven Hawking is a bitter man who is mad at God for giving him a brilliant mind and putting it into a pathetically defecient body.

Any why exactly is he a "bitter man"? Uh, yeah you think you explained this actually..but AFAIK i never had the impression he is a bitter man, in the slightest!

Or do you think he must be "bitter" because he simply does not agree with THOSE people who think that the Aliens would "save" humanity (because we, obviously, are too stupid to solve our problems on our own?)

Religious hoagwash!

He stated simply obvious things.

I don't know how often i get reminded of that scene in Independence Day where the naive pseudo-religious believers are up on that highrise.....

Do me a favor and get into unknown territory (here on Earth), like a Jungle or some wild Island..or in the midst in the steppes of Africa...and then see how far you will go with a naivety that everything out there MUST be friendly.

You will be torn apart by animals and NO ONE will show mercy, the stronger one will survive. And this is on our own planet. Because things which are unknown/foreign or "not like us" are USUALLY always be treated as enemies, even amongst ourselves. (People of different religion, skin color, race).

Now..we are dealing with the fricking UNIVERSE and other planets which take this even a step further.,with races which might have NOTHING common at all. And you are still thinking that Hawkings is wrong if he postulizes that Aliens might be a threat?

You have learned NOTHING by simply observing what is going on here on Earth and how "different" is ALWAYS a source of violence, murder and war?
edit on 15-12-2011 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by steveknows

NOT true. Military craft just doesn't cut it. UFOs have behaved in the same amazing ways for 60 years, now. Anyways, if UFOs are really unmanned satellites or drones of aliens, or manned by aliens, that means there IS a cover up. So, absolutely any end every piece of evidence is going to be debunked, every witness is going to be discredited, and when possible, evidence will be hidden or destroyed.

Rendlesham Forest UFO Incident - www.nickpope.net...

The three man patrol from the 81st Security Police Squadron - Jim Penniston, John Burroughs and Ed Cabansag - saw a small metallic craft, moving through the trees. At one point it appeared to land in a small clearing. They approached cautiously and Penniston got close enough to see strange markings on the side of the craft, which he likened to Egyptian hieroglyphs.

Project Blue Book - www.nsa.gov... now disowned ironically by one of its investigators who believed they totally undermined the phenomenon!

From 1947 to 1969, the Air Force investigated Unidentified Flying Objects under Project Blue Book. The project, headquartered at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, was terminated Dec. 17, 1969. Of a total of 12,618 sightings reported to Project Blue Book, 701 remained "unidentified."

Roswell UFO cover up - even non UFO junkies know we covered up something, and this official FBI memo supports that:
www.ufocasebook.com...

The "Wow" signal (wasn't followed up by anything, but who knows, maybe we just weren't told that it was!)
www.npr.org...

Lake on Jupiter's moon
www.huffingtonpost.com...

DAILY UFO sightings-
twitter.com...#!/search/%22saw%20a%20ufo%22
www.ufostalker.com...

Water-bearing deposits on Mars-
news.discovery.com...

The Phoenix Lights (what government would fly a scary military craft over a whole state???)-
en.wikipedia.org...

White House UFO incident
en.wikipedia.org...

Battle of LA
en.wikipedia.org...

Shag Harbor
en.wikipedia.org...

Hacker Gary McKinnon's story:

Certainly did. There is The Disclosure Project. This is a book with 400 testimonials from everyone from air traffic controllers to those responsible for launching nuclear missiles. Very credible witnesses. They talk about reverse-(engineered) technology taken from captured or destroyed alien craft.

A NASA photographic expert said that there was a Building 8 at Johnson Space Center where they regularly airbrushed out images of UFOs from the high-resolution satellite imaging. I logged on to NASA and was able to access this department. They had huge, high-resolution images stored in their picture files. They had filtered and unfiltered, or processed and unprocessed, files. My dialup 56K connection was very slow trying to download one of these picture files. As this was happening, I had remote control of their desktop, and by adjusting it to 4-bit color and low screen resolution, I was able to briefly see one of these pictures. It was a silvery, cigar-shaped object with geodesic spheres on either side. There were no visible seams or riveting. There was no reference to the size of the object and the picture was taken presumably by a satellite looking down on it. The object didn't look manmade or anything like what we have created. Because I was using a Java application, I could only get a screenshot of the picture -- it did not go into my temporary internet files. At my crowning moment, someone at NASA discovered what I was doing and I was disconnected.

Drake equation

UFOs and alien-like beings popping up all over the world in ancient drawings/historic paintings etc

Kecksburg UFO
en.wikipedia.org...

Gordon Cooper's UFO experience, later became an astronaut...he's not the only astronaut who's seen a UFO or believes the government is hiding something
www.youtube.com...

Iran incident
en.wikipedia.org...

"Of course it is possible that UFO's really do contain aliens as many people believe, and the Government is hushing it up."

--Professor Stephen Hawking

Harry Truman "there was always things like that going on, flying saucers..."
www...

62 school children meet aliens www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Maybe aliens visited Earth a billion years ago, studied the primitive Eco-system and moved on... The vastness of the Universe, even our Galaxy is surely astounding, but so is it's age.
The chance of an alien race which has evolved to be at the right technological level at the time of our current civilization to find our planet within the vastness of space now and not in another 100 million years or so (or far, far further into the future) seems extraordinarily low, at least to my somewhat less mathematical mind.
I'm quite baffled by Steven Hawkins reasoning.... unless he is of the mind that sufficiently technologically advanced alien civilizations are extremely common within our area of the galaxy at this exact, specific time in it's existence.... which still leaves me baffled by his reasoning.

I have a feeling there is something I'm missing, something interesting... this is a conspiracy forum after all...

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nikola014
I think Hawking is working for the government or something.
Like his job is to scare people about upcoming invasion...
I don't know why is he so "scared" of invasion by aliens, when we don't know if aliens even "exist".
We "haven't" found aliens, have we?

It's mathmaticaly impossible for there not to be life on other planets, thats what he was implying. I have watched that show 2 times and the guy does have a point. Who knows what there intentions would be. If they could travel through the vastness of space surely they would have no problem wiping humanity out. Thats if they wanted to. When the smartest mind of our time says something like this people should take note. He's not trying to scare people he is trying to open minds to the posibility we are not alone, and they may see us as just a roadblock to get the natural resources this planet is abundent with.

Was talking to a few friends about this last week and was amazed to learn they didn't even know who Stephen Hawking is. Rather sad they could list the top draft picks for the last 10 years but clueless when it comes to this... Just had to give up on trying to open there eyes... *Sigh* Think I need new friends.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Recouper

You don't need to be baffled, he is not saying that there are zillions of Aliens out there and contact is very, very likely (because it is not) due to the distances and mathematical chances, as you correctly say.

But he is saying it might be foolish to "announce" ourselves across the universe with radio messages etc..which we have done in the past...which does indeed *increase* the likelihood to some extent someone might find us.

And its irresponsible to do since we don't know the consequences.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by chrismicha77

Funny how the OP (hawking) says he strongly believes in aliens. It wasn't long ago that he was saying that aliens don't exist (at least in intelligent form).

Hawking made some ground breakers in the arena of blackholes and hawking radiation. However, he's no more qualified than anyone else to talk about life in the universe.

First of all, Hawking has thrown his name in the hat for the possibility of time travel. Time travel is impossible in the way that our culture imagines it:

No such thing as time!
edit on 15-12-2011 by Scramjet76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

That's fair enough, but I can't help think about just how small a distance (relatively) our radio signals (purposefully directed or not) have traveled. By the time they have actually traveled far enough to be possibly intercepted by an alien race our civilization will be radically different from what it is now (barring a reset event of some sort).
He may have a point, but it seems so very trivial (at least to my limited view), that it kinda seems out of place. I guess I have difficulty believing that it's really something that actually, truthfully concerns him enough that he genuinely feels the need to raise awareness of the possibility.
edit on 15/12/2011 by Recouper because: Fixed typo.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Recouper

That's fair enough, but I can't help think about just how small a distance (relatively) our radio signals (purposefully directed or not) have traveled.

Exactly. Even the speed of light is slogging through space. Aliens don't communicate with radio signals. For the obvious reason that has already been pointed out by our scientists.

The funny thing is why it takes our civilization so long to figure this out? They think because howard stern is on radio waves that aliens must be too. Seems to be the underlying problem on this planet. The egos outweigh the braincells.

*sigh*

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join