It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: Alien contact could be risky

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by FurbsWake up to your own delusions, people.

Well you sure seem to have all the answers? You have no idea what the truth is. Read between your lies. ~SheopleNation

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ConspiracyTruth

We seem to be saying a similar thing, but with a different conclusion.

You seem to be saying:
Since we know anything about aliens, then they could be super-intelligent and have ways of coming across us and our little dust spec of a planet in the extraordinary vastness of the universe.

I'm saying:
Since we know anything about aliens, then we just don't know.

There is nothing wrong with saying "I don't know". I'm not going to start making assumptions such as "since I can't imagine how powerful aliens will be, that must mean they are automatically more powerful than I can imagine". It is still extremely possible that we humans are so new to technology that even a super-advanced alien civilization hasn't been near enough to our part of the universe to notice us yet.

Yes -- I agree that there could be a super-intelligent civilization out there that has the capability of finding us if they get close enough and listen for our radio signals. However, saying that I think it is "possible" and saying that I think it will actually happen sometime soon are two different things. Space is inconceivably large, and our sphere of detectability (the amount of that universe that our radio signals have reached) is miniscule.

Open your mind a bit. My mind is open to the possibility that aliens can (or have) detected the existence of our tiny planet, even in the vastness of space. However, your mind seems to be closed to the possibility that they have NOT.

edit on 12/13/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Open up MY mind? Of COURSE I don't know!!! I just don't see the point in doubting that alines may make a visit in our lifetimes, or that they may even have done that already. There's no POINT to doubting that, it just limits your imagination. I have no Earthly clue - for all we know, life really is only here on Earth and that's honestly stunning in its own right.

There's just no useful reason to "poo poo" people's theories about how aliens would get around to visiting us - theorizing about what could be possible is what makes humans so great and what pushes us further as a collective. Dreaming up all the impossibilities is just pointless. That's all.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I want to be very clear for all you "Loons" who think its so dam easy for *space travel to happen,for *aliens visiting us ,and for *aliens to be already living amongst us(and that includes Hawking and his chinese friend):

The alien idea is just that and idea created by man. Nothing more. Unexplained phenomena's,events,and ufo's should not be branded as first option=to be undoubtedly caused by extraterrestrial beings. There is a more logical explanations instead of ET . But no the most ridiculous option is chosen as the obvious option, above all else. Why???? Because hollywood is fueling the alien theory every single minute. So let me get this strait, "if" hollywood and media were jacking up the myth of bigfoot and yeti's would it be accepted as fact. ??? Cause that's what's happening with alien theory.

I am sick and tired of hollywood constantly trying to brainwash the masses with "alien crap propaganda". And you all are sucking it all up..this craze is rampant and it won't stop and I won't stop preaching against this alien gibberish.

You all want to believe that aliens exist just like muslims and christians want to believe there messiah has come or ther eis a god that give a hott about us all; with not a single ounce of proof. Just plain old faith.

Can aliens exist ,yes , so what . The fact that something could exist means nothing!!!!!! You have hope for something that came from your mind. A plausible idea..How weird does that sound.

Can this universe have more than one earth or more than one human-like being? yes,,, but again who cares its almost mute that we would never confirm that.

The most of you are clinging on to a pipe dream that will never happen. You will die with no answer, no hope and no contact. But don't worry there is a reason why hollywood and the media are prepping all humans with alien gibberish. Once "islam" and the tiny percentage of radicals out grow and fail to meet the "boogie man" criteria as Democracy's public enemy #1 , aliens will step right in folks. And they will be the NEW boogie man of the future. But the big difference is these boogie men are 100%frauds(much worse than boogi-men from the past , that were more puppet-like if anything); They will be 100% man made aliens with technology that will seem alien .

Make no mistake there is a reason why all this doom and gloom of 2012 is happening its nothing more than a ploy of fabricated stages. All leading up to the grand finally=man made aliens.

Enjoy your koolaid.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by dilly1

You're completely full of it. Just because people want to believe in aliens, and so Hollywood plays along, doesn't mean the logic behind believing in them is flawed. That's what humans do. That's how we progress. We think up what we'd like to happen, or what could happen, and we make it happen, or discover it. Like flying airplanes.

There's nothing deluded or stupid about believing that ET life exists - and in fact, if ET isn't out there, I find it quite MORE phenomenal that we're the only life, or the most advanced life out there - that's far more unbelievable to me!!! And has its own implications.

edit on 13-12-2011 by ConspiracyTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by dilly1

Let me put it like this. I could say the fact that you're a 911 conspiracy theorist is based on psychological issues - your desire to feel like you have more control in life and want to see order in corrupt chaos, or something like that... that's no argument by itself, though. That's just analyzing people's motives for why they follow or explore certain theories. People's reasons for NOT believing in God and being atheists really aren't more logical than people's reasons for believing in religion. Everyone has deep psychological needs to believe whatever they believe.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyTruth
reply to post by dilly1

You're completely full of it. Just because people want to believe in aliens, and so Hollywood plays along, doesn't mean the logic behind believing in them is flawed. That's what humans do. That's how we progress. We think up what we'd like to happen, or what could happen, and we make it happen, or discover it. Like flying airplanes.

There's nothing deluded or stupid about believing that ET life exists - and in fact, if ET isn't out there, I find it quite MORE phenomenal that we're the only life, or the most advanced life out there - that's far more unbelievable to me!!! And has its own implications.

edit on 13-12-2011 by ConspiracyTruth because: (no reason given)

Comparing the "hope for alien existence" with the "art of flight"??? Lolllllllll!!,,,Mmmmm?? You do know that your beyond disconnected from the real world.

But don't stop!,, continue and enjoy wasting your lonely life hoping every photo,video,movie,news and forums on aliens is progression. Cause guess what its always going to be "2 dimensional" for your hopeless self. It won't amount to anything else,meaning 3 dimensional. Unless you waste all your hard earned money on 3D crap. Better stock on 3D glasses.

I'm full of it? Yea that's the right prognosis. Boy you sure know how to spot them.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by dilly1

I believe there's more to 911 than meets the eye, too, don't buy the official story one bit. That wasn't my point. I'm not wasting an ounce of my life, and will feel extremely happy and fulfilled by the time I die, whether or not we ever discover other ET. What are your psychological needs, I wonder, for criticizing people for being excited about the unknown? That's one of the best qualities of being human, in my opinion. It's not about being wrong or right, it's about being curious and finding joy in exploring all the many possibilities and mysteries of the universe.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Well, given the distances involved in space travel, it's safe to assume that any aliens visiting earth would be soooooooooooooooo far beyond us in terms of technology. And if you look back in history, the more advanced species ALWAYS dominated the weaker species...and it often doesn't end well for the lesser developed species or culture. Just look at Cortez and the Mayans

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

reply to post by dilly1

I believe there's more to 911 than meets the eye, too, don't buy the official story one bit. That wasn't my point. I'm not wasting an ounce of my life, and will feel extremely happy and fulfilled by the time I die, whether or not we ever discover other ET. What are your psychological needs, I wonder, for criticizing people for being excited about the unknown? That's one of the best qualities of being human, in my opinion. It's not about being wrong or right, it's about being curious and finding joy in exploring all the many possibilities and mysteries of the universe.

You seem like nice chap,,,but your thinking is the reason why i rip you all with me previous posts. With our modern physics we cannot explore diddly squat. we will never discover or answer (any)daunting mysteries. I could care less about the unkown. Humans always fill the gap of unkowns with crap. With all do respect your thinking is up par with teen girls going crazy for the twilight saga. your hopelessly in love with the unkown. which is what exactly . My point exactly. stick with simple logic and avoid faith & all theories. only then will the true picture appear. sorry for the spelling ,blackberry.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by dilly1

You totally don't understand that curiosity is what leads people to every single scientific truth, do you not? I work in marketing and analytics. It's my curiosity that then spawns my research and helps me figure out all sorts of real-time mysteries! It's okay to exercise your brain with the bigger ones, and leave behind a legacy for future generations to pick up on and elaborate on. You're blowing things way out of proportion and don't really seem to realize that you're posting here is actually more futile than posts like mine. Mine at least are therapeutic to my brain and I'm fine with helping Hollywood to convince the people with all the telescopes and scientific backgrounds and NASA paychecks to keep exploring this stuff. Where there's a will - a desire for knowledge, there's a way - an answer to that knowledge. That's pretty much how it works.

Dwelling on all the perceived impossibilities in life, or giving up on the life's mysteries - even though you're naturally wired to be interested in them (there is evolutionary purpose to them) - isn't noble or intelligent. I mean you have every right, but you're being quite a hypocrite by posting here. There's literally no use to your posts?

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I disagree with Stephen Hawkings opinion that we should not advertise our presense here on Earth to other-worlders.

Let me say too Hawkings--- The cats already out of the bag, about the other-worlder's knowledge of the existence of this exo- bio planet that we call Earth. So why try to sweep the facts under the rug, that the other-worlder starships have been visiting our planet occasionally for decades; if not for hundreds or thousands of years.

Are you afraid that the other-worlder's will come here, and drop a mini-black hole onto your lap? On the other hand... I can't support your thesis that Earthling's should hide in a corner; as this could be a sign of weakness to the other-worlder's.

I personally know that the other-worlder's have visited our Earth; because I've seen one or two space alien starships myself.

Foofighter's

Erno86
edit on 13-12-2011 by Erno86 because: spelling

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

reply to post by dilly1

You totally don't understand that curiosity is what leads people to every single scientific truth, do you not? I work in marketing and analytics. It's my curiosity that then spawns my research and helps me figure out all sorts of real-time mysteries! It's okay to exercise your brain with the bigger ones, and leave behind a legacy for future generations to pick up on and elaborate on. You're blowing things way out of proportion and don't really seem to realize that you're posting here is actually more futile than posts like mine. Mine at least are therapeutic to my brain and I'm fine with helping Hollywood to convince the people with all the telescopes and scientific backgrounds and NASA paychecks to keep exploring this stuff. Where there's a will - a desire for knowledge, there's a way - an answer to that knowledge. That's pretty much how it works.

Dwelling on all the perceived impossibilities in life, or giving up on the life's mysteries - even though you're naturally wired to be interested in them (there is evolutionary purpose to them) - isn't noble or intelligent. I mean you have every right, but you're being quite a hypocrite by posting here. There's literally no use to your posts?

Your entitled to your opinion. But comparing experiences here on earth with the attempt to solve galactic universal daunting questions is a far stretch. But if you or any human has contributed in getting closer and closer to solving these mysteries, by all means... Show me proof. So what makes you think we really have evolved? Or invented technology that is some what in the superior realm?

We haven't moved forward, in fact we have going in circles for long time now. But keep thinking discovery is truly done with a telescope. Are we still in the 17century? Didn't think so. You can massage your brain all you want. Enjoy all your happy endings.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Erno86

Erno, I hear what you're saying and it's a real good point. I don't believe that Mr Hawkings is saying we should not try to make contact though my friend. Either way, Much higher up people within our foreign infiltrated, occupied Government will make that decision anyway, not him. What I think he is saying is that we should be cautious with our invitations, and not reckless. Just my opinion. ~SheopleNation

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ
Well, given the distances involved in space travel, it's safe to assume that any aliens visiting earth would be soooooooooooooooo far beyond us in terms of technology. And if you look back in history, the more advanced species ALWAYS dominated the weaker species...and it often doesn't end well for the lesser developed species or culture. Just look at Cortez and the Mayans

EXATAMUNDO!! LOL! You got it! Hawkings using the word RISKY is an UNDERSTATEMENT of such a magnitude that it is like representing the effect a Supernova....10 light years away from us....to a good sized Solar Flare.

The Flare may disrupt or even destroy electronics....our electrical grid and blind satelittes....but a Supernova...10 light years away from us....means audios amigos! Good Bye Earth!

We are the ones asking E.T. to be covert. They used to do what they pleased. Split Infinity

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SheopleNation
reply to post by Erno86

Erno, I hear what you're saying and it's a real good point. I don't believe that Mr Hawkings is saying we should not try to make contact though my friend. Either way, Much higher up people within our foreign infiltrated, occupied Government will make that decision anyway, not him. What I think he is saying is that we should be cautious with our invitations, and not reckless. Just my opinion. ~SheopleNation

after listening to some of hawking's lectures on possibilities and caution ( i found them on youtewb )
i'd assume he would strongly agree with your statement ,
but one would really have to ask that wheelierolla named steve-o from face to face to get an answer
as straight as a pokerface without lace .
if mr.hawking ever happened to visit the area where i live currently i would be
really interested in hearing his opinions live .

edit on 13-12-2011 by BoB420 because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-12-2011 by BoB420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by SheopleNation

Originally posted by FurbsWake up to your own delusions, people.

Well you sure seem to have all the answers? You have no idea what the truth is. Read between your lies. ~SheopleNation

Nope.

I have zero answers, and unlike a large majority of the people here, I readily accept that.

I am also curious as to what 'lies' you are talking about. I posted opinion based on observation. The observation is fact. You can go through the thread yourself and see it. The opinion is not a lie, as I am not claiming it to be fact.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity

EXATAMUNDO!! LOL! You got it! Hawkings using the word RISKY is an UNDERSTATEMENT of such a magnitude that it is like representing the effect a Supernova....10 light years away from us....to a good sized Solar Flare.

The Flare may disrupt or even destroy electronics....our electrical grid and blind satelittes....but a Supernova...10 light years away from us....means audios amigos! Good Bye Earth!

We are the ones asking E.T. to be covert. They used to do what they pleased. Split Infinity

Cultures within the same species may be in competition for the same resources and hence antagonistic to ech other. But the same need not be the case between different species. In fact, that is how the planet gets to have so many species inhabiting the same space. Many species live in a symbiotic relationship with each other. There is no reason why such a relationship cannot exist between an alien species and human beings.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Dilly must be an unimaginative depressed realist who thinks that when he dies its just going to be a black void of nothingness and that his life of trolling will just end in a blink of an eye. Good for you dilly. The rest of us have whats called an open mind. We are not blinded by what you call lifes truths but rather open to the impossible. Go and spend your miserable life beratng any potential human or et possibilities while you type on your blackberry that you have no idea how it was made or could possibly think of.

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”
Einstein.

edit on 14-12-2011 by lizardman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Observor

Originally posted by SplitInfinity

Cultures within the same species may be in competition for the same resources and hence antagonistic to ech other. But the same need not be the case between different species. In fact, that is how the planet gets to have so many species inhabiting the same space. Many species live in a symbiotic relationship with each other. There is no reason why such a relationship cannot exist between an alien species and human beings.

Working great for our rain forests, and right

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join