It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: Alien contact could be risky

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Scramjet76

And if our radio signals are intercepted in say, what, 10, 20 or may be 30 thousand years from now, what will we be like? By then we should be a 2 on the Kardashev scale, maybe even a 3 right? Could war even be possible at that stage?
The issue may eventuate and could be something we end up needing to deal with, but as much as keeping the future in mind is good idea, the enormousness of space and time makes it seem kinda superfluous in this case... I'm not opposed to thinking about it at all, I just find Steven Hawkins' level of effort a little odd.

You know, I'd love to discuss it with him. It would be fun to have my argument shot down in flames in a (short) debate with him
That's if he's not involved in something suspicious...

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Recouper
reply to post by flexy123

That's fair enough, but I can't help think about just how small a distance (relatively) our radio signals (purposefully directed or not) have traveled....

Correct. An alien race would need to to have wandered into to the tiny, tiny, tiny part of the universe to which our radio signals have traveled so far (less than a 100 light-year radius). That would be like people pounding on a drum signal on a island to signal that they were there. A ship would have to sail very close to the island to be able to hear the drum and know that someone was living there and pounding that drum.

It could be that the universe is so darn huge that no alien race has ever stumbled upon our part of it yet and got close enough to pick up our radio signals.

We may not be the only intelligent life in the universe, but we may be "alone" in the sense of the word similar to those islanders pounding the drum are "alone". The Earth could have billions of other people, but if none of those other billions of people ever hear the drum to know that the islanders exist, then they are basically alone in the world.

edit on 12/15/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Recouper

Forget about time, there is no such thing. Radio signals are a great example of a poor means of interstellar communication. I'm sure there are folks out there who have heard our sad attempt at contact. Yet silence. Sure we had the WOW signal but silence since then.

I don't think the silence is indicative of there being no other intelligent life. I think it's more like we aren't asking the correct way.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Q-Entanglement.

Consciousness is not just a miraculous epiphanous that arises out of the reductionist bits in our brains. That's western scientific egos gone overboard. Kinda like girls gone wild. But more like egos gone wild.

*Consciousness is everywhere. Perhaps inherent in every electron?*

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erno86
reply to post by dilly1

Do you have faith?..... Such as in a religion?

Thanks,

Erno86

I have No faith, in religion ,government,science, medicine ,,,anything man-made. Mostly the agenda behind these aspects.

And why should I. If one really learns our true history we are inherently a mean evil specie. And even though I know we are all not bad , we would or could become bad if given the power to control the masses. And history tells us that the human man has failed every dam time.

Religion like science is a man made process that is here for only one thing ,to control you. To steer you into a side. Science didn't start of as such but allow the elitist to serpently creep into ones ambitions and before you know it your vision is suppressed(allah Nikola Tesla).

That doesn't mean we shouldn't have or be spiritual beings. But true spirituality comes from the inside and with a lot time being nurtured by yourself, not some freakin life-coach. Again life is too short so how much can one really accomplish with spirituality? I mean I work crazy hours/raising a family and living in a "slave-utopia" is not the ideal place to stop and truly do some real soul searching. This is such a fact , that this is why "fake-controlled religion" exists , to certain degree though,(off course the main reason for the existence of religion is to control and position the masses on a particular side),, humans naturally know there is a spiritual side in us and the elitist know this and understand without universal dogma and doctrine people will create there own version and we will have billions of different denominations,, billions!. And that's how it should be. You decide how you think god should be . You create your own dogma, not someone else.

So since life is too short and I want to enjoy life and prepare my offspring from this rampant bulls*** preaching in every corner and every TV, I refuse to dwell on faith from any religion or any scientific theorist trying to sell me there biased views.

Now I know the most of you are in middle of everything . Most believe in god but not in the bible(quran) or they believe in aliens but not they have come ....bla,bla bla. To each's own. I take a more radical approach. I say screw all things that are daunting and focus on what you can control. And when I say daunting I mean universal questions that theologians and scientist are constantly dwelling over , while dragging with them the rest of public(its literally a domestic black freakin hole). We will never know these annoying questions and again "life is too short" .

That motto is the key: "life is too short" . Until life isn't short anymore we will continue to go in circles. 20 years from now members from ATS will still be arguing and posting the same dam material.

Enjoy your short life

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scramjet76
Q-Entanglement....

I'm not talking about what communications WE should be looking for. I'm simply pointing out that it would be very easy for the Earth to have been completely overlooked by ET civilizations because the farthest-reaching outward signs that we exist have only reached a miniscule 100 light-years away from us.

My point is that we could be virtually "alone" in the universe because other ET civilizations have never come close enough to stumble upon us (i.e., within our 100 light-year "radio signal bubble") to be able to learn about our existence.

Aliens would have an extremely hard time finding us because they would need to be as close as 100 light-years away (a miniscule distance in cosmological terms) to be able to pick up our signals.

edit on 12/15/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Recouper

I think what people aren't getting about the "odds" and the "statistics" is this:

1) It's not hard to believe that there is at least ONE, to maybe just FIVE, alien civilizations out there in the vastness that have completely mastered travel in space and time (it may actually feel like a small universe/multiverse, whatever to them!)
2) You only need ONE nearly-omniscient, compared to us, civilization to exist for it to be rather likely that they've interacted with our planet. That ONE civilization that's interacted with us, or 20, may only be .01% of ALL the civilizations out there.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ConspiracyTruth

I go back to the idea that even with the Earth being full of 7 Billion people living all over it, and with biologists and scientists making it their lives to study animals, we still occasionally come across a totally new species of animal that we never came across before.

I suppose you could say we have mastered traveling the Earth, but the Earth is a big place and there are places on Earth still not fully explored. The Universe is a big place, also, and perhaps we haven't been technologically advanced long enough to have our presence known any further than the miniscule distance our radio signals have gone.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

That's contradictory, though. It's the very vastness of life on just one planet that would leave you to believe in the vastness in life in the universe as a whole. And you only need ONE ET life form to get so advanced enough that there is little ET life left to discover for them, imagine a civilization that's always looking for the first sparks of life, or creating/planting life at this point - you just need ONE of these civilizations to exist. That one civilization could be .00001% of ALL the ET life out there - it wouldn't matter! You see how that works? It's like the vastness of the universe make odds not matter, in a way.
edit on 15-12-2011 by ConspiracyTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
If life here on earth in good, pretty good; then we have something someone else may want. Better to stay unseen and unnoticed, until we populate other planets and cannot be missed: but also powerful enough to make a difficult enemy. We should attempt to expand populate other planets, and not be noticed. Get as many people on other planets as possible. Make their life comfortable, defendable, secure use of natural resources. The trick is to get control over as much as possible, resources, planets, while appearing small, but really getting quite big, That way if any alien comes your way that is hostile, you puff yourselves up as big as you can, and call in help from other human populations.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
I go back to the idea that even with the Earth being full of 7 Billion people living all over it, and with biologists and scientists making it their lives to study animals, we still occasionally come across a totally new species of animal that we never came across before.

Oh THAT... that is because these new species have escaped from some collection on these flying saucers that are on collection trips
I think that Voynich manuscript was dropped by some alien botanist
That explains the weird detailed plants that are not found on Earth

See? Occams Razor... the simplest explanation

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

This is a completely off topic and useless post.

And Occum's Razor is just a phrase, a quote, it's not part of the scientific method. Just as helpful as "where there's smoke, there's fire"

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Who said anything about military aircraft? I think you've replied to the wrong post. Also, all this hearsay and not even so much as the alien version of a paperclip to make anything that could be called proof.

edit on 15-12-2011 by steveknows because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by steveknows

Who said anything about military aircraft? I think you've replied to the wrong post. Also, all this hearsay and not even so much as the alien version of a paperclip to make anything that could be called proof.

You said there was no evidence. I was just explaining that there is indeed evidence. Evidence of ET life in the universe, evidence that there are crafts out there more advanced that what known humans have come up with, and evidence that government has tried to downplay the UFO phenomenon (Project Blue Book was not public at first, and its very own member said it was not even a genuine investigation)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

Hi!

I was wondering how do we know that massive amounts of gold have vanished from earth? I mean there isn't an inventory (not that we know about) where we knew the total amount of gold before and after a certain date. Or do we? Shed some light please!

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by steveknows

Steve....and you are right. If no proof is given...then a person shouldn't believe it! But at the same time...in the way I do not believe in little guys looking for pots of gold at the end of a rainbow....and I will challenge a statement such as this....you have the same right to challenge anyone including me....on what they post.

The one thing that I can't undestand...and I am not saying you do this....is when one poster not only challenges anothers post...but goes too far and becomes almost violent in their replies. I am actually dealing with such an issue on another topic....but in my case....I get a big laugh out of it since the poster who is almost attacking me with insults...I don't care....and laugh my ass off when I see someone get this upset. LOL!

If a person doesn't believe something posted then they can disprove it with viable real facts....or they can ignor it....or they can present a logical basis to why it it can't be true. But to allow themselves to get so upset that they insult or attack verbally....is a joke...and looks badly upon others views of them. You did the right thing on how you responded here....and I espect you for it. Split Infinity

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity

Steve....and you are right. If no proof is given...then a person shouldn't believe it! But at the same time...in the way I do not believe in little guys looking for pots of gold at the end of a rainbow....and I will challenge a statement such as this....you have the same right to challenge anyone including me....on what they post.

The one thing that I can't undestand...and I am not saying you do this....is when one poster not only challenges anothers post...but goes too far and becomes almost violent in their replies. I am actually dealing with such an issue on another topic....but in my case....I get a big laugh out of it since the poster who is almost attacking me with insults...I don't care....and laugh my ass off when I see someone get this upset. LOL!

If a person doesn't believe something posted then they can disprove it with viable real facts....or they can ignor it....or they can present a logical basis to why it it can't be true. But to allow themselves to get so upset that they insult or attack verbally....is a joke...and looks badly upon others views of them. You did the right thing on how you responded here....and I espect you for it. Split Infinity

People have a right to believe what they want to believe and there is no doubt about that. I agree that some on this site have an attitude of demanding that they are agreed with.

It can be frustrating though when fact is ignored and theory is accused of be a guess.

Alot of times debates do become heated yet at the same time the way a post is read will often depend on the mindset of a reader. I know myself that I have accused and been accused of being angry when I wasn't and I'm sure that at times when I've accused someone of it it has been more about where my mind was at instead of theirs.

I guess the best thing to do is to give yourself a wink when you know you're right and let the other person live on in ignorance when you know they're wrong. It's very hard to do I know.

I am the first to admit when I'm wrong and I am not shy in apologising if I've found that I've jumped the gun (it just doesn't happen often

Also I would like to relay something that was said to me once when I was fed up. "

"You're assuming that the other person sees things as clearly as you. You're assuming that the other person is as smart as you. You're assuming that the other person should have the ability to grasp what you grasp. This is the source of your anger".
edit on 16-12-2011 by steveknows because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyTruth

Originally posted by steveknows

You said there was no evidence. I was just explaining that there is indeed evidence. Evidence of ET life in the universe, evidence that there are crafts out there more advanced that what known humans have come up with, and evidence that government has tried to downplay the UFO phenomenon (Project Blue Book was not public at first, and its very own member said it was not even a genuine investigation)

Where's the evidence? Everything you just gave is opinion. Project bluebook not being puplic would depend on what it was originaly filed under. And not knowing what they were going to find before the project started it was classified accordingly and it was subject to the usual declasification period. That's not evidence of Aliens visiting earth. That's just evidence that someone was doing their job properly.

Also the technology that we have that people claim can't be human is human. It's just that these people don't have the ability to see human enginuity for what it is. They can't accept that homosapien sapien is walking around with the most powerful brain on the planet. That would most likely be more to do with their own low self asteem.

I'd bet that these same people are the first to say crap if someone tells them about some great personal achievement as in "if I couldn't manage to do that then he couldn't" . Their lack of belief in human ability is more about them and not about aliens coming to earth. They just use that to project their perception of themselves on to humanity as a whole.
edit on 16-12-2011 by steveknows because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Steve....Good post. And what this person said to you is sound logic. This is why I can laugh off accusations brought upon me. I also realise that some of the things I post....have no way of being confirmed....except by those who have been there and done that.

I try to the best of my ability to talk about things that have a line of logic. I too get frustrated at rediculous claims that I KNOW are false....I know because of experience. I do not get pissed off by another persons concepts or ideas nor do I try to tell people that they are not seeing E.T.'s when they present a picture that is reasonable....but if they are posting some random light and declaring it to be Alien in nature....well...it may be a UFO....but a plane with nav lights blinking and strobes...I know from working with the USAF....what the vid or picture is....but sometimes...it very well could be the real deal...as I have said repeatedly...I know E.T. to be a reality. Split Infinity

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
never mind
edit on 123131p://bFriday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join