It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Plumber

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
reply to post by beezzer

Dear beezzer,

Does the character "ME" seem a little simple-minded, trusting, and passive to you? I suppose that was intentional.

I think we all are, at first. We have to reason to believe that the plumber/government is lying.
Cheers

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

This country has been circling the drain for decades now.

Well said!

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Roses tossed............

Irony at its finest.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
double post
edit on 10-12-2011 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
It's a pity most people don't call the "plumber" until after they have tried to "fix a simply leaky faucet" themselves:

Without knowing how to use a wrench.
Without knowing how to turn off the water first.
Without even thinking about turning off the water.
Without bothering to read the instructions that came with the repair kit.
Without bothering tho make sure that they bought the right size repair kit.

Without considering that everything they didn't know in the first place might make the job a whole lot more difficult, take a whole lot longer, and cost a whole lot more than they think it should.

Then they get angry at the plumber who has to first repair everything they've broken, and everything that they've broken has ruined, sometimes for the rest of the neighborhood (think backed-up septice tank!), has ruined, and then has the gall to charge them for.

The only problem with government is that it tends to try to do Everything we, the governed, demand that it do.

And then there is the problem of having two different people wanting two (or more) things to be done at the same time; and those things are completely opposite each other! (Think of Ben Franklin's admonition agaist the desire for Freedom and Security: The more you demand of one, the less you can expect of the other!)

Of course, if we knew how to do it ourselves, we would; if we weren't too lazy to do it.

Or we would at least know how to hire (elect) people who we knew could do the things we could do, but, didn't want to do.

Making sure by our choices, that they would do the job as well as we would do it ourselves.

But we tend to hire not the "Plumbers" who tell use just how badly we've mucked up the pipes, preferring instead to hire the plumbers who tell us that "It's just a simple leaky faucet".

Just what we wanted to hear.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Neat analogy for the role government has grown to fill in our lives.

Very simple, direct, and to the point.

S & F sir.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Bhadhidar

We grant too much authority to the plumber. We only hired him to fix a leaky faucet. The problem became when the plumber thought himself indispensable in a private persons house.

The plumber oversteps his boundaries. And we have all too willingly allowed it.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Terribly wrong, not all faucets are created equally.
It is true that even the best equipment will eventually break down.
But there are many variables at play, water hardness, leaks in the pipes (they introduce sand and dirt to your water), the idiot turning the knob, all of these things and many more attribute to said faucets longevity.

Know first off I am a retired plumber so to argue plumbing with me would be as wise as going against a hardened attorney in a court case.
But seeing is how I am retired, this advice will be bill free.
When you get a faucet, be careful of how people treat it, mind your pluymbing system and take the small precautions that avoid big repairs, ie An inline sediment filter will remove nearly all sand/dirt contamination from your house but will not affect your system at all.
True there are crook plumbers out there, I was not one I promise.
But if we get the right faucet and maintain it, the only thing we should ever have to replace is a couple of knobs, stems, seats, and washers.
These will always fail eventually.
But we should not throw out the faucet because of the plumber.
Plumbers can be replaced as easily as faucet parts.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Thank you. I think we all have lost the notion that "the plumber" can be fired at any time. We need to remember who's in charge.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Indeed.

We hired the government to represent the people and states. We told them what those parameters were(The Constitution) and today, the Constitution has been ignored in favor of politics of necessity...

You know..."I need 30 guys in your living room to fix the faucet. "

Never mind that the Constitution says the plumber can ONLY fix the faucet, not hire 30 guys to stand around.
edit on 10-12-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

This isn't actually about plumbers

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Exactly my point. We need to be more knowledgable and not give power/authority to a plumber, any plumber because once authority is given away, authority is lost.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Exactly! We hired someone, the contract (the Constitution) defined the parameters of the contract.

When the contract is violated, fire the one that broke the contract.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

If you read my post and the OP's you will see that it is indeed about a plumber and the plumbing he/she works on.
The wonderful thing about plumbing is the flowchart.
Does it work yes or no.
If it works, don't %$#@ with it.
If it does not, tear out that faulty part and replace it with one that does.
Now not only does a flowchart work with plumbing but ANY other area you could think of as well.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Yeah...Sometimes flowcharts get you this:

I did read your post and the OPs. It is indeed, about government and how it plays it's role in our lives today counter to the social contract set up by the Founders.

Not plumbers.
edit on 10-12-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I took it differently. I thought you were referring to the US 'humanitarian aid' missions. Analogy works well in many ways and circumstances; no situation has a monopoly on bull#.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Excellent post!

I can see a direct correlation to the following:

Nixon Administration
Ford Administration
Carter Administration
Reagan Administration
G.H.W. Bush Administration
G.W. Bush Administration
B. 0. Administration

When exactly will people in this country understand that it is not a smooth voice, pretty hair and a smile that this country needs. This country needs to remind itself that it should rely on itself.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Brilliant thread, brilliant replies.

A very enjoyable read.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
After reading this, I just want to hug you.
*hug*

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Thanks for the kind words all.

I find that this analogy spans even american politics and could/would apply to any people who desired freedom and feels the onerous weight of government upon them.

edit on 10-12-2011 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join