It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Denied Food Stamps, Laredo Woman Shoots Children, Kills Self

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Denied Food Stamps, Laredo Woman Shoots Children, Kills Self

Originally from Rueters;
Woman denied food stamps kills self, shoots children

(Reuters) - A woman in the border city of Laredo, Texas who was angry because she had been denied food stamps killed herself and shot and critically wounded her two children late on Monday, authorities said on Tuesday.

[...]

The children were airlifted to a hospital in San Antonio in extremely critical condition, he said. The mother was dead at the scene, he said.

Baeza said the woman, who was from Ohio, arrived in Laredo about eight months ago and had lived with her children in several locations around the border city of 236,000.

Stephanie Goodman, a spokeswoman for the Health and Human Services Commission, confirmed that the woman applied for food stamps in July and was denied. Goodman said the woman's application was incomplete and that she was not sure whether the woman qualified for assistance.

When people reach the end of their rope, it's hard to say how they'll go - some go quietly, fade away, some do not. How many here would willingly give up their children if they can't provide for them? How many would take them out, and themselves, too? A sad day for America no matter what side of the fence you sit on.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
So, just to be clear. She was not allowed to pillage her fellow citizens so she killed herself and almost killed her kids? What a wonderful person she must have been.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Yep, a typical story from a "modern" society... It's all about ME ME ME and the "you owe me" mentality.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
That is a very sad story and one that I hope will not become common place..

But to be honest I fear it will

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Laredo is a town full of illegal immigrants, not the safest place to be.

But it was the person that was from Ohio that committed the act.

+19 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frontkjemper
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Yep, a typical story from a "modern" society... It's all about ME ME ME and the "you owe me" mentality.

Yeah I guess so! When hunger and the inability to get the basics needs for survival for your children drive a person to feel they must then relieve their children of the suffering and their community, of themself, and people are so concerned about not sharing their money they make cruel jokes and snears......yes, that is quite a ME,ME,ME generation, isn't it?

I guess compassion, empathy, understanding, heck.... any consideration of others at all is completely gone in that culture, isn't it?

edit on 7-12-2011 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
She couldn't fill out the forms right. Here they teach that is school. A special english class just for filling out welfare forms.

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
So, just to be clear. She was not allowed to pillage her fellow citizens so she killed herself and almost killed her kids? What a wonderful person she must have been.

A woman couldnt feed her kids, and this tragedy happens, and this is your reaction? What a wonderful person you must be. I pity your loved ones, if you have any.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Couldn't she have sold the gun for food?

Used it to pop a couple of squirrels?

Hell, even robbing somebody is better than murder-suicide.

Lack of food stamps is a petty reason. Even hunger is a petty reason. With all the scraps around there is no way her situation was that desperate.

A hundred years ago she would have made do and eaten rats if they had to.

Even our desperately impoverished are too high and mighty to do what it takes to survive. That's sad.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
There are places to get help if you need it.
I have never lived in a place anywhere in the country where you had to go without food & shelter.

Most all churches have programs where you can get boxes of food from their food bank and the Salvation Army also helps with food, clothes & shelter

Seek and you shall find help.

It's sad she thought she had to kill her children because she couldn't get food stamps. Most likely she wasn't a first time user of public assistance and had become too reliant upon it.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
As a former Food Stamp case worker, we used to have the person come in and we would help them complete the application, and make sure they knew exactly what proof was needed to qualify. It takes time to work with some of these people. Maybe the case workers are overburdened these days, but we had heavy caseloads when I did it back in the late 90s too. Sometimes we had to call them several times to make sure they knew they would be denied if they didn't do their part. It was tiresome, but we took pride in never letting the needy fall through the cracks.

If the caseworker was "unsure" as to whether or not the applicant was qualified, she should have called the client in and went over the application. Some people have trouble filling out applications, they get nervous and do them wrong, so going over every question and helping them put the right information in is crucial.

Crucial, because although people will look down at the mother as a "leech", that woman had two children who did not deserve to suffer from hunger, being dragged around the country like baggage, and have no safe place to live and play. Working with the mother to at least make sure they could all eat is much cheaper than foster care, and much easier than dealing with her killing herself and leaving two injured children who now have nobody.

I never had a problem with the poor people asking for help, even though they needed it because they made exceptionally poor choices in their lives.

I did have a problem with the lady who came to ask for food stamps in a new Jaguar, dripping with diamonds and arrogance. I asked her why she felt she needed food stamps, and she said, "Well, I have a big Thanksgiving dinner planned with many guests coming, and I don't think it's right that I should have to foot the bill for all that food." *CLUNK*, there went my jaw on the floor. She had over $50,000 in a bank account but felt that the taxpayers should pay for her fancy Thanksgiving soiree. THOSE are the people to get angry at.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles

A woman couldnt feed her kids, and this tragedy happens, and this is your reaction? What a wonderful person you must be. I pity your loved ones, if you have any.

Too right. None of us can properly know the circumstances. None of us were inside this woman's head. We shouldn't judge. It's terrible that she felt driven to this.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Darwinism 1
Woman 0

Apparently, she was too stupid to fill out the forms properly. She wasn't "denied" as the subject says. She didn't even "apply" to be "denied" since she never completed the paperwork. And, I'd be willing to be this paperwork is simple enough that an uneducated illegal alien could figure it out, yet she struggled. I think the saddest part of this is that it shows just how far the education system in this country has fallen. I think it's time to let someone else head that establishment, because the current pro-union clowns have wrecked it, to the point where people can't even figure out how to fill out a food stamp application. Sad indeed.

I feel sorry for the kids. Not her. She had other options, but was either too lazy or too stupid to find them. Most churches would have helped her out. Friends, family, etc. Instead, she decided to try to kill her kids and then kill herself. She was a selfish individual, and the world is better off without her. I can't have compassion for ANYONE who attempts to kill their own kids. I don't care what the "reason" is.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
This is a story about a mentally disturbed person feeling like she is at the end of her rope.

I don't know what to say about this. My compassionate side feels sad for this woman and her distressful mind during her last days, and the kids that had to go through this
My cold hearted side tends to think this is just some mooch that shouldn't have bred and there should be some tests before allowing people to breed.

Ultimately there is no real point to the thread though. Not everyone whom loses bennies when they really need it will go insane and kill people, so its not a "whats to come" senario...just a sad yet non relevant story.

Heart goes out to the survivors and family members.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3

I feel sorry for the kids. Not her. She had other options, but was either too lazy or too stupid to find them. Most churches would have helped her out. Friends, family, etc. Instead, she decided to try to kill her kids and then kill herself. She was a selfish individual, and the world is better off without her. I can't have compassion for ANYONE who attempts to kill their own kids. I don't care what the "reason" is.

Wow just wow...
She may well have had mental health problems. Fact is you don't know. Suggest you look up the word 'compassion' in the dictionary.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus

I did have a problem with the lady who came to ask for food stamps in a new Jaguar, dripping with diamonds and arrogance. I asked her why she felt she needed food stamps, and she said, "Well, I have a big Thanksgiving dinner planned with many guests coming, and I don't think it's right that I should have to foot the bill for all that food." *CLUNK*, there went my jaw on the floor. She had over $50,000 in a bank account but felt that the taxpayers should pay for her fancy Thanksgiving soiree. THOSE are the people to get angry at.

Can you finish this story so not to lead people into the wrong direction.

She was denied because she is too wealthy, had too many assets, etc..basically you got to be poor as hell in order to get food stamps...
Your painting a picture that anyone, even rich diamond wearing aristocrats can qualify.

I will never begrudge someone their food stamps. anyone whom thinks its some great thing..well, may you continue to never qualify for food stamps...because that means your life is not going according to plan.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by starchild10

Compassion: a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering.
Source

Nope, I have no compassion for this woman, or anyone who kills or attempts to kill their own children, regardless of the reason. I think I already said that in my original post though.

The kids, on the other hand, I have the deepest compassion for. I wish I could have helped, and shot their mother before she managed to put them in the hospital, fighting for their lives. Better yet, if they were my neighbors, I would have gladly shared food with them.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by starchild10
Wow just wow...
She may well have had mental health problems. Fact is you don't know. Suggest you look up the word 'compassion' in the dictionary.

May have had?

I would go on record to say she absolutely did have.
Evidence: She tried to kill her own children, then successfully killed herself.
Is there more evidence needed?

Thats like saying Ted Bundy may have been a bit crazy...what with the serial killing and keeping his boyfriends in the fridge/eating them, etc...
Of course he was nuts...there is no sane and reasonable explanation as to why that, or the mothers actions happened beyond their brain not working properly.

Temporary madness or a mental condition thats been there for awhile? now you can start debating that...sure...but no, at the moment of these actions, the person was not playing with a full deck

-not hammering you, just furthering a point...some things you don't need the word maybe...its pretty obvious.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
The kids, on the other hand, I have the deepest compassion for. I wish I could have helped, and shot their mother before she managed to put them in the hospital, fighting for their lives. Better yet, if they were my neighbors, I would have gladly shared food with them.

Teach a man to fish, you feed em for a day..and all that jazz.

What a neighborly thing to do that would have potentially resolved the issue is try to get this chick working verses tossing a sammach over the fence.

There is no easy solution though to any of this mess. Your neighbor right at this very moment may be in their home with their head in their hands wondering what they can do to make ends meet, but you don't know any better...nor are you going to impromptu walk over with a cheeseburger just in case

This is simply the human condition. In nature, plenty of animals kill off their offspring when food is scarce. This could simply demonstrate that once you peel away societys conditioning towards safety nets, we go back to animal instinct...or not...there is nothing to be gained in this story. No solutions, no damnation (from me anyhow), just a all around sad set of events.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Well said. I guess in the end, we are simply another animal inhabiting this planet. I'd like to think we have the ability to be "better" than that though. Obviously, in some cases, we're not. You're right, I wouldn't know if my neighbors are secretly freaking out.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join