It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Denied Food Stamps, Laredo Woman Shoots Children, Kills Self

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

No, the clarity is she was denied any opportunity to support herself gainfully because her government allowed corporations to ship every decent job overseas, then stood by while the banksters ripped off the country for trillions, and did absolutely nothing to stop it. That same government also did zilch to provide any new jobs, or hold any corporation to their promise of new jobs in return for tax breaks, or the banks' promise to lend to kickstart the economy if we bailed them out.

When at the end of her rope, she finally admitted she couldn't do it on her own and applied for a little help to put food in her children's mouths, she was refused.

And in despair and pained by the betrayal by those who take our money and give nothing back, not seeing an end to the misery, bereft of any hope of a better future, she decided to end it all and not subject her children to a future filled with nothing but bad things, open to unending exploitation.

I think that's closer to the truth.

And please don't try to bring up the "freeloading people who don't pay taxes" lies.

Everyone pays taxes, every paycheck.

They may get some of them back, or all of it back at the end of the tax year, but in the meantime they've paid it in. It essentially is a non-interest bearing forced loan.

On the other hand, many of the rich don't pay their taxes that way: they pay quarterly or annually, and they have many more subsidies and means of avoidance.
edit on 7-12-2011 by apacheman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by akapapasmurf

Originally posted by Frontkjemper
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Yep, a typical story from a "modern" society... It's all about ME ME ME and the "you owe me" mentality.

well what do you expect theres no future , for her how do you expect her to feed herself ? maybe she could open a lemonade stand or something .. if theres no handout and your not strong enough to take other peoples # theres only 1 way out and thats the off switch

Yes, she could open a lemonade stand so that the cops would come and close her down. The cops will shut anyone down who is running an illegal business.

The government's laws and the enforcement of those laws oppress people every day.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

Remember Ian Fleming's adage:

Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action.

Those workers were not incompetent or lazy, they were doing the job as prescribed by verbal policy.

To keep costs down, paperwork is deliberately lost or delayed. I've spoken with caseworkers here in California who have told me as much. It is assumed that a percentage will give up and just go away or go elsewhere, and the delays reduce cash outflows while the managers scramble to find more funding.

The technique allows the government to give the illusion of doing something while spending the minimum they can get away with. It also makes for good performance reviews for managers who are rated upon how much money the save the department as opposed to client outcomes.
edit on 7-12-2011 by apacheman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Forget the government's part in this and the mothers' as well.
Where were her neighbors and friends?

Apparently they tried to help but she wouldn't accept their charity.

www.pro8news.com...

That's what they claim. However, I know I have heard my family commenting to others claiming that they tried to help me and that I balked at it. It was a total lie. I'd been homeless before, and they wouldn't even let me sleep on their couches. And yet when others heard that I had been homeless, my family lied and said they tried to help me. They wouldn't dare admit to outsiders that they wouldn't help me. Instead, they lied and made it look like I was refusing help.

If the woman was desperate enough to apply for food stamps, and kill herself because they kept claiming she didn't turn in papers, then I doubt that she would have been turning down help from her family all along. They sound like my family.

When someone has been living in desperate situation for long enough, and all hope is gone, he/she will often do things that others would deem as "crazy."

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by starchild10

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3

I feel sorry for the kids. Not her. She had other options, but was either too lazy or too stupid to find them. Most churches would have helped her out. Friends, family, etc. Instead, she decided to try to kill her kids and then kill herself. She was a selfish individual, and the world is better off without her. I can't have compassion for ANYONE who attempts to kill their own kids. I don't care what the "reason" is.

Wow just wow...
She may well have had mental health problems. Fact is you don't know. Suggest you look up the word 'compassion' in the dictionary.

who cares if she has mental issues? Hitler had mental issues. You don't hear anyone saying " hey dont talk bad about hitler he wasn't right in the head". Well no # he wasn't right in the head. A mind that comes to the conclusion that harming her own children is a good move is a mind that needs to go. Liberals always protecting the corrupt

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Wow can you imagine? Being denied your food stamps and being forced to work for money and food!! What country do we live in. Everybody should just stay home with the kids and get checks from the government, why does anyone need to work at all?

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Wow people are making excuses for her? I personally could never excuse any human who shoots a child; even if I was threatened with torture I would not attempt to murder a child because I felt like giving up. If the kids were suffering she could have at least put them in care, the whole government messing up the economy and stealing is absolutely no justified reason for her actions.

There are people out there who survive without government, money, cheap clothing etc. She was monitoring the news via the internet so it seems she had enough experiences with devices and social networks to utilise them. How does she know how to use those sites when her kids needed food stamps when the internet and devices cost money to obtain.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jessicamsa

Originally posted by SaturnFX
May have had?

I would go on record to say she absolutely did have.
Evidence: She tried to kill her own children, then successfully killed herself.
Is there more evidence needed?

Thats like saying Ted Bundy may have been a bit crazy...what with the serial killing and keeping his boyfriends in the fridge/eating them, etc...
Of course he was nuts...there is no sane and reasonable explanation as to why that, or the mothers actions happened beyond their brain not working properly.

Some people who kill others are not mentally ill. People kill others for many different reasons. Some just think it is fun to kill people.

With this mother, it sounds more like she was acting out of fear/desperation.

With all of the millions of people losing their jobs, I am surprised this doesn't happen more often.

And Ted Bundy never killed boyfriends and kept them in the fridge. That was Jeffrey Dahmer. Bundy killed women and dumped their bodies.

Ahh, right...wrong psycho mixed up there. Knew something looked off about that...Bundy was the normal one

And I was speaking mostly about this situation...when a woman murders (or attempts) her children and herself...its not a fun lets play war moment...its clearly a mental issue. be it temp or a long term condition is unknown, but "normal" people don't do that is the overall point.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
You have to be pretty far below what many here would consider "poor" to qualify for food stamps. Were talking poverty, abject poverty. From how her neighbors and friends talk about her refusing their charity, perhaps she was too proud to take it, until things got desperate, and then to be told for whatever reason she couldn't get any aid for food, with 2 kids to feed - some people decide it's better not to have their kids live in that kind of world.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Man what a sad existence and ending for that family.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
You have to be pretty far below what many here would consider "poor" to qualify for food stamps. Were talking poverty, abject poverty. From how her neighbors and friends talk about her refusing their charity, perhaps she was too proud to take it, until things got desperate, and then to be told for whatever reason she couldn't get any aid for food, with 2 kids to feed - some people decide it's better not to have their kids live in that kind of world.

Yea except theres always loopholes. When I see someone going to the store in a mercedes, using food stamps to buy cases and cases of diet soda, while wearing expensive jewelry. See it everyday. They're poor because they decided to burn their money on crap, or they have never worked a hard day in their lives. Sure some people fall into hard times, but its a small percentage, and it doesn't last long, if the person puts EFFORT into getting out of it. I don't understand why we can't just give food stamps for a more limited time, with limitations on what people can buy.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by andersensrm
Yea except theres always loopholes. When I see someone going to the store in a mercedes, using food stamps to buy cases and cases of diet soda, while wearing expensive jewelry. See it everyday.

Oh, so everyday you're hanging out at the store and watch someone pull up in a Mercedes, wearing expensive jewelry, and buying cases of soda with food stamps... Wait, let me go get the popcorn, this is obviously story time.

They're poor because they decided to burn their money on crap, or they have never worked a hard day in their lives.

So that's why they're poor.

I don't understand why we can't just give food stamps for a more limited time, with limitations on what people can buy.

They DO. They have to apply constantly to be on food stamps, and there ARE restrictions on what types of foods can be bought with food stamps.

You don't seem the type to know this, based on your comments you don't know many poor people or much about the food stamp program.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
Darwinism 1
Woman 0

Apparently, she was too stupid to fill out the forms properly. She wasn't "denied" as the subject says.

Seriously dude how's that view of yours from the high moral ground? I've worked for many years with people who have intellectual impairments/ mental/ learning disabilities it is offensive and cruel to label anyone 'stupid'. Are you all so exhausted of compassion that so many of the comments on this terrible situation are negative and unsympathetic? No one knows what this person was experiencing when she attempted to kill her own children and then killed herself. No one knows why she didn't try 'one more time' to get help. We all have breaking point and this poor soul came to hers. But her actions fade in the wake of criticisms from people like yourself who think everyone should always see what they need to do to get themselves out of trouble, or how and where to get help or even how to fill in a basic form. I have with countless people who could none of this.

There is a saying we should all heed because we never know how far away our own breaking point is "There but by the grace of God go I".

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Food is supposed to be a human right. It's not our fault we need money (or stamps) to obtain it. SOMEONE ELSE DECIDED THAT.

That someone else should provide basic (NON GMO) food to the masses instead of using it as a control measure to force people into performing tricks to get it.

Honestly, some people are that used to paying to live on the planet they were born on that they think it's normal...

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by sunshinesmile

I've made it quite clear that I don't have ANY compassion for anybody who kills their kids. Period.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

Nobody is stopping you from growing your own food. You have that "human right". However, don't expect a farmer to bust his ass for 18 hours a day planting seed, cultivating, harvesting, etc., simply to GIVE you food. No, you go bust YOUR ass, and grow YOUR food. Do you think combines are free? Do you think the farmer's time is free? I'm sure you expect payment for YOUR work, right? Why would you expect a farmer to work hard and not be financially rewarded for his/her work? You've got to be one of the most selfish people on the planet!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Woah...

SAN ANTONIO (Reuters) - A 12-year-old girl who was shot by her mother during a standoff inside a Texas food stamp office died of her wounds late Wednesday night, officials said Thursday.
Ramie Grimmer had posted a Facebook message on Monday "may die 2today" after her mother, Rachelle Grimmer, 38, took a supervisor hostage in the Texas Department of Human Services office in the Rio Grande city of Laredo in a dispute over her denial of food stamp benefits.

ca.news.yahoo.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwood
There are places to get help if you need it.
I have never lived in a place anywhere in the country where you had to go without food & shelter.

Most all churches have programs where you can get boxes of food from their food bank and the Salvation Army also helps with food, clothes & shelter

Seek and you shall find help.

It's sad she thought she had to kill her children because she couldn't get food stamps. Most likely she wasn't a first time user of public assistance and had become too reliant upon it.

They exist. In California, when I was eight months pregnant and homeless I went to the welfare office to ask them if they could just refer to me homeless shelters.... the lady said "they're all full."
I said, "Well could you just give me a paper listing where they are or something?"
She said"No, I'm sorry, I can't. We can't afford the paper."

So I stayed on the street (luckily it isn't too cold in So. Cal.). Tried to get some financial aid, but was told you can't get any if you do not have an address.

Later, after I had my child and had found someone to rent a part of their garage to me to live in, I went many days without food. If someone gave me some old veggies or something, I would feed them to my boy, who stayed always skinny anyways. I don't know where "food banks" are, I never heard of one. It happens in the US too. It is even worse when you're a person who truly believes it is wrong to live of off others.....suicide was a repeating thought in my mind at that time too, and when you see your child in this state (and can only see the rest of his life continuing like that) yeah....I can see how you might start thinking about this.....

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Either that or you just have your eyes wide shut to reality. Look just the fact that you live in america means that your more well off than almost anyone in the entire world. There are people in africa that are lucky if they can manage a half a can of beans a day for the whole family, and non poisonous drinking water. At the same time they have to avoid the rebellions going on there. Everyday of their lives they are surviving with little food, while at the same time being shot at. And people here are really going to try to tell me that their poor, no money, no food, blah, blah, blah, blah. Now Im not rich, and by my definition im definately not poor. And I know tons of people who intentionally put themselves in bad situations so they can be approved for food stamps so they don't have to work as hard. Look in my view, we should get rid of everything that gives money to people. This means all social security, food stamps, welfare all that. Instead if you really need help you can get approved for one single program, that manages what you buy, your voting rights are taken away, and you are fed prison food. Then if you want to be a moocher you have to pay with at least something. We have to have some kind of incentive for people to work. As time goes on, less and less people are going to be working until all of the sudden demand overmuscles supply, we have a complete global society collapse. All because people can't take care of themselves. 1000 years ago nature would have just worked her magic, and all those laggers would just be dead

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by andersensrm

And I know tons of people who intentionally put themselves in bad situations so they can be approved for food stamps so they don't have to work as hard.

I find that statement ridiculous on so many levels. For one it sounds like you're stereotyping poor people as all being lazy. Two, it shows ignorance of the food stamp program. An single individual with no kids only qualify for SNAP (the official name of the food stamp program) for only 3 months out of every 3 years. USDA works with state agencies to oversee the SNAP program. One of them is your assets cannot be worth more than $2,000. That's all your cash, savings account, bonds, stocks, VEHICLE, rental property, etc.

What Are the Minimum Requirements for Food Stamps?

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Pre-Screening Eligibility Tool

Your claim that someone was buying food with food-stamps while driving a Mercedes seems rather bogus, considering a Mercedes alone would disqualify them from the program.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join