It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Denied Food Stamps, Laredo Woman Shoots Children, Kills Self

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frontkjemper
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Yep, a typical story from a "modern" society... It's all about ME ME ME and the "you owe me" mentality.

well what do you expect theres no future , for her how do you expect her to feed herself ? maybe she could open a lemonade stand or something .. if theres no handout and your not strong enough to take other peoples # theres only 1 way out and thats the off switch

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
So, just to be clear. She was not allowed to pillage her fellow citizens so she killed herself and almost killed her kids? What a wonderful person she must have been.

A woman couldnt feed her kids, and this tragedy happens, and this is your reaction? What a wonderful person you must be. I pity your loved ones, if you have any.
She had a gun. I would think she could have killed something to eat before killing her kids. She could have sold the gun and gotten some food. She could have went to a church or a homeless shelter. She could have taken her kids to their father, or her extended family for help then just offed herself if she felt so bad. There was absolutely NO JUSTIFICATION for her to try to kill her kids.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by akapapasmurf

Yep, a typical story from a "modern" society... It's all about ME ME ME and the "you owe me" mentality.

well what do you expect theres no future , for her how do you expect her to feed herself ? maybe she could open a lemonade stand or something .. if theres no handout and your not strong enough to take other peoples # theres only 1 way out and thats the off switch
If she wants to "off" herself, fine. She has freewill. How does that justify her trying to murder her own children?

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
None of us can appropriately pass judgement until we've walked a mile in their shoes, so to speak.

None of us know what lead to this . . . what potholes in life's road this person encountered to leave no choice but to cut short that journey. Maybe it was her own doing . . .maybe it was getting her ass beat literally or figuratively one too many times by some mysogenistic arsehole . . . maybe it was just somebody down on their luck who got tired of searching for the answers and similarly tired of the not-so-off-hand snotty comments from classless buffoons about lazy n'er do wells, bottom feeiding off the system and being a drain on their wallets.

Maybe her self-worth at life's cash register finally rang up zeros and that was it. Who the hell knows???

Better yet, who the hell has the right to pass judgement????? There before the grace of God, folks . . . as it may not be long before more than just a few of us are traveling down the same path to emotional oblivion given the current state of economic affairs around the world.

Should the kids have been made to suffer . . . no . . . there's no denying that but, again, who knows what lead up to this.

The thing that sticks to me, and reinforced by some of the comments here, make me question where we are and where we are going as a society where people, homes, jobs . . . lives . . . are so disposable that we can't look at the fact despite their foilables . . . they are human beings . . .

If everyone on this godforsaken sphere made it a point every day to make somebody's . . . . hell . . . anybody's life just a bit easier by doing a good deed, do you think we'd be in this mess, teetering on the brink of self destruction . .. .

Probably not.

But that'd take a whole bunch of people who generally don't give a ripe olive shaped turd about anything but themselves to do an about face and actually think of somethign else besides themselves.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Let's dispense with the nonsense that she was denied because she was "too stupid" to fill out the forms properly. The case worker would have made sure all that was done correctly. According to articles about this story, she was from Zanesville Ohio, and had moved to Texas 9 months prior to this incident, and had lived at several addresses in the meantime. Most likely, until additional facts come out, she was denied for not having a permanent address. She was moving around frequently, why? Homelessness, most likely, and with two kids in tow, and no way to get the help she needed.

But it's nice to see the neanderthals relish in the tragedy, it's one less poor 'moocher', right?

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
I did have a problem with the lady who came to ask for food stamps in a new Jaguar, dripping with diamonds and arrogance. I asked her why she felt she needed food stamps, and she said, "Well, I have a big Thanksgiving dinner planned with many guests coming, and I don't think it's right that I should have to foot the bill for all that food." *CLUNK*, there went my jaw on the floor. She had over $50,000 in a bank account but felt that the taxpayers should pay for her fancy Thanksgiving soiree. THOSE are the people to get angry at.

OMG you cannot be serious. This actually happened? I've heard about people going to food banks in their brand new lexus and things like that, but I most of time think, it's just disgruntled people spreading lies and rumors, but this is absolutely detestable. How did you not get up and smack her right in the head...holy

As to the original post....there is so much missing it's hard to tell what to feel. Why was she dragging her kids around Larado? Could she not find a job? Was she running from a live of abuse? Was she mentally unstable? (okay obviously she was when she pulled the trigger, but before this happened?) And if she was mentally unstable, why did she have the kids? Where were the children's father(s), grand parents, family? Why didn't she go back to Ohio? So many missing pieces how can anyone judge her til they know all the facts.

Such a tragedy, those poor children, not only are they severly injured but they now must deal with the trauma of their mother killing herself.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I'm beyond poor. Beyond. As in no work since Nov of 10. No income save a college stippend I get every 4 months which is barely enough to pay off a few months rent and pay off the bills I put off for those 4 months. Been actively seeking work for this entire time. I got my foot in the door at 2 places in the last 13 months but then ended up losing out at the last second. Me and my teen are lucky to have food stamps though I'd do anything to be off them but we'd starve.

My neighbors don't know the situation I'm in. It's embarassing for anyone to know. They know I'm not working - but yet, in my town of 1700, 80% are not working and are in lots of trouble financial wise so no one can really help anyone anyway. So maybe everyone knows everyone else's situation. It's just not talked about, except how difficult and next to impossible it is to find work.

We have a Mcdonalds, a dollar store, two gas stations and a huge factory. The next town is 25 minutes away. I have no car. The reason I moved here in august '10 was cuz I had a job at a gas station lined up, full time. I got fired because of statusing on facebook that I was very feverish, could barely speak and had to go in and make pizzas, sandwiches and answer the phone. I was pissed cuz (name of gasstation) wouldn't bring anyone else in to cover my shift. So I still went in to work, worked 2 days after that and then was fired cuz I wrote the store name on my private, hidden to no one but friends facebook page. I never add bosses or coworkers to my facebook. How anyone in the company saw it beats me but they had screenshots of it and everything. So since then, no jobs. Nothing.

We have a huge factory here. A few months ago they finally opened their doors to hire 100 positions. 1658 people showed up from all over Illinois, Kentucky and Indiana for those jobs. Needless to say I did not get the job.

I would hae stayed up in the chicago burbs and not moved if I knew this would have happened - but even then, I was without work from 08 til 4 months before I moved. Even then being within walking distance to malls, strip malls and tons of jobs, NO one was hiring.

And they say the economy is jussst fine.
No.
'just fine' is how it was in 91, 92, 93 when I could go into 30 places, fill out those apps and in the next 2 days have to decide out of 29 of those 30 which job I wanted because all gave me interviews and definite wanted to hire me. THAT is 'just fine'.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles

So, just to be clear. She was not allowed to pillage her fellow citizens so she killed herself and almost killed her kids? What a wonderful person she must have been.

A woman couldnt feed her kids, and this tragedy happens, and this is your reaction? What a wonderful person you must be. I pity your loved ones, if you have any.
She had a gun. I would think she could have killed something to eat before killing her kids. She could have sold the gun and gotten some food. She could have went to a church or a homeless shelter. She could have taken her kids to their father, or her extended family for help then just offed herself if she felt so bad. There was absolutely NO JUSTIFICATION for her to try to kill her kids.

Going to go on a bit of a tangent here

I watched a television show (Walking Dead) that had a part where a woman was considering aborting her baby. Now, during this time, there is a zombie apocalypse going on and pretty much everyone on earth is either a zombie, or just surviving day to day.
She was in a safe area, and was not the type to just get an abortion lightly...this was a huge deal to her and she was torn.

Anyhow, she knew that possibly the child would be delivered ok. she realized she would make it to term maybe with a bit of luck and the defenses standing strong, etc...the day to day was alright for the moment, but the future, the long road ahead is what made he go from I am ok today to we are all doomed.

Sometimes you make a decision based on what is going on right now, and sometimes you make a decision based on what is ahead..if you see only doom and despair, humiliation, and ultimately losing...you will then choose your path...regardless of if your currently comfortable

Re-actively, we are all programmed to stay alive and keep others alive (unless they are trying to hurt us), but proactively, we can go past this biological programming and guide our path. This woman didn't just run out of pop tarts and so grabbed the gun, this was her looking forward and in her (broken) mind realized this was just another straw that truely broke the camels back...how many more of these events would she have herself and her children suffer? She decided to end it.

Did she do the right thing? hell no. As pointed out by many here, there are other solutions...but, she was dealing with a broken mind and a narrow vision of dismay for her future..again, not dealing with a full deck here.

Just saying, pointing out the reactive day to day and trying to apply it to a proactive mindset doesn't fit here.

tangent over.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
The Laredo woman obviously had other issues besides being denied food stamps....if her children live...perhaps in time.... the real truth will come out.

That woman ended all her chances...there may have been help...just around the corner.

I hope and pray that the children survive and heal not only physically, but emotionally and spiritually too. I hope that in time...they will be able to thrive and move on.

edit on 7-12-2011 by caladonea because: correction

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Two critically injured orphans. A dead women. A tale of human distress with a tragic ending.

And yet there are those of us who feel this is the appropriate time to wax political, gleefully express schadenfruede, and disparage her memory despite the fact that all we know is what the media reported and how they reported it.

Clearly many are driven to exploit this tragedy to profess their superiority, the superiority of their political bent, and their personal merits.... as if it were about "you" and what you think.

Thanks for trying to make ATS a little more Jerry Springer-like.

May you never know the depth of misfortune and the abandonment of hope. After all - it is all about you.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
Most likely, until additional facts come out, she was denied for not having a permanent address. She was moving around frequently, why?

I did read a report that she was living in an RV with her two children and that her friends all tried to give her food and assistance but apparently she wouldn't accept the donations easily. Pride, insanity, stupidity? I think it's an understatement to say that she had mental issues. Still she obviously need assistance. Best report on the situation is from a local news station. They even have images of the RV she was living in.

www.pro8news.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
No matter which side of the fence you're on, you can't deny this is a sad sad thing.

And to make matters worse we have a prospective presidential candidate trying to vilify people on food stamps with outright misinformation.

Each of Gingrich’s claims about food stamps is so ridiculous -- especially for a self-styled policy wonk -- that we wondered whether he was really intending to be serious. (By publication time, we did not receive answers to several queries made to his press staff.) But the transcript makes it sound like he wasn’t joking, so we’ll assume he wasn’t. For being so ridiculously wrong in so many ways, we rate his statement Pants on Fire.

Sourece: St. Petersburg Times

Talk about a lose/lose situation. No one wins here when the situation is perceived as so hopeless that kids are hurt and/or die.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

I totally agree. It's sad when people can't find it in themselves to see what our world is comming to. It's sad to see that you can't feed the hungry with out suffering the consequences like being arrested for helping out. It's sad that ingnorant, selfish, self absorbed people populate this planet to a point were frowning down upon the people in need has become common place and even accepted in a sence. No wonder this place is going to hell in a hand basket. Unless we already are in hell. To all the people who think this woman did this with out a second thought, think again. You probably never did go hungry in your life. So stop beinf so full of yourselves. I'll tell you from experience, getting foods from a food bank is hard enough on the ego as it is. Imagine being denied food all together. Especialy if you need that food for your kids. I don't agree with what she did but I can kind of understand. I remember wondering what I'd do for meals myself but back then we had more options so it was easier to get out fo that situation. But now, I'm not too sure anymore.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SCGrits

reply to post by XLR8R

That's what always confounds me, you can never talk about this sort of tragedy and how we as a society can improve or help these people better, without someone dragging up outlandish (and nearly always untrue) anecdotes about "welfare queens" bedecked in diamonds and driving their Lexus or $50,000 Hummer to the food bank, as if that justifies curtailing these programs that exist to help the neediest of the needy. Gingrich takes the cake with that claim, that "People can use food stamps "for anything," including "to go to Hawaii," and even millionaires can qualify. " It's this sort of lie - a bold-faced pants-on-fire lie, that hurts the impoverished the most.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

I read this news article yesterday....thought about sharing it here on ATS. The reason I didn't?

I knew the responses it would get. People seem to live in their own little bubble....the same people accusing this person of ME ME ME are just as guilty themselves of being ME ME ME.

It's a tragedy....people have done these same kinds of acts by simply losing a job or through bankruptcy, loss of business, marital affairs, divorces, etc.

Yeah, some will never miss an opportunity to trash the poor....it's how they are programmed.

Regardless, hope all the best for the kids....it's certainly NOT THEIR FAULT that they were in the position they were in.
edit on 7-12-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Forget the government's part in this and the mothers' as well.
Where were her neighbors and friends?
It's typical that most people don't even know who their neighbors are these days.
20 years ago the neighbors would have stepped in and made sure that the kids were fed and clothed.
It's not just the government that is dysfunctional these days, we the people are too,
We've stopped being caring neighbors that help out others in need and only worry about ourselves and our own families.
It's our most basic ties as humans that are going down the tubes,
Friendship, empathy, caring and concern need to become part of our normal day-to-day routine.
The WE, in WE the PEOPLE needs to be restored.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Forget the government's part in this and the mothers' as well.
Where were her neighbors and friends?

Apparently they tried to help but she wouldn't accept their charity.

www.pro8news.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma

Yeah I guess so! When hunger and the inability to get the basics needs for survival for your children drive a person to feel they must then relieve their children of the suffering and their community, of themself, and people are so concerned about not sharing their money they make cruel jokes and snears......yes, that is quite a ME,ME,ME generation, isn't it?

I guess compassion, empathy, understanding, heck.... any consideration of others at all is completely gone in that culture, isn't it?

edit on 7-12-2011 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

I believe it truely is, these people are much happier giving their hard earned tax money to bank bailouts and to keeping horribly run companies from going under. Lord forbid we give that hard earned tax money to someone that might actually need it. The type of mentality these mongrels have is what will end up being the demise of the human race someday.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikellmikell
She couldn't fill out the forms right. Here they teach that is school. A special english class just for filling out welfare forms.

I wonder if the welfare office kept losing the forms. When I applied for food stamps again, after losing my job, I turned in the 'proof' several times. The paperwork kept not making it to the file. I was pretty ticked. Why was I ticked?? Because I had actually done my job while I had one and did a good job, but these lazy good for nothings working at the welfare office cannot even file paperwork correctly and get to keep theirs! I had even passed the management tests and still was not kept, yet these people cannot file papers away properly or return phone calls and they get to keep their jobs!

I even went to legal aid, trying to get help with the incompetence at the food stamp office, and the people at legal aid talked down to me like the situation was my fault, insisting that if the food stamp office said I didn't turn something in that I must not have turned it in! And she talked to me as though I were stupid! I have two college degrees, almost four, and this woman has the gall to talk to me like that! I am sure she talks to everyone beneath her social status like that.

Then, after I finally got food stamps months later (after they finally managed to file the freaking papers!), and six months had passed, I turned in everything for the recertification. The caseworker this time "forgot" (her words!) to work the case and laughed about it! I received letter in the mail saying I was turned down for not turning in my papers, yet again. Well, I sat in the food stamp office, on my birthday, literally all day long, waiting to speak to someone. I remember one time the receptionist called back to the caseworker while I was standing in ear shot saying, "the annoying one is still here" and then she told me, once again, to have a seat. Well, if your caseworkers would actually do the job that they are paid to do, then I wouldn't have to be "annoying." Once again, I did my job and was terminated anyway. They don't do their jobs and get to keep them. Why should I not be pissed about that??

While I was there that day, I was talking to some of the other women there waiting. Several of them were in the same situation as I was, except one of them had to take off work to get it situated. In her case, they also cut her child care assistance. She relied on that so that she could work for minimum wage (which is pretty much all you can find around here, even with a college degree, if you can even find that). The incompetence of the welfare office nearly cost this woman her job. Her ex abandoned the family and didn't even pay child support, and her family was not helping her. She had actually came home from work one day to find her kids home alone and that her husband just took off and left the kids there alone and never came back.

Another woman said that this had happened to her several times. She said she had never had them not lose the paperwork.

It is totally inexcusable that these people are allowed to keep their jobs for such incompetence while people who work as hard as they can lose their jobs anyway!

Around here if a job opening is announced, literally thousands of people are fighting for it. There would be many unemployed people around here that would love to have those workers' jobs and would actually do the work.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
May have had?

I would go on record to say she absolutely did have.
Evidence: She tried to kill her own children, then successfully killed herself.
Is there more evidence needed?

Thats like saying Ted Bundy may have been a bit crazy...what with the serial killing and keeping his boyfriends in the fridge/eating them, etc...
Of course he was nuts...there is no sane and reasonable explanation as to why that, or the mothers actions happened beyond their brain not working properly.

Some people who kill others are not mentally ill. People kill others for many different reasons. Some just think it is fun to kill people.

With this mother, it sounds more like she was acting out of fear/desperation.

With all of the millions of people losing their jobs, I am surprised this doesn't happen more often.

And Ted Bundy never killed boyfriends and kept them in the fridge. That was Jeffrey Dahmer. Bundy killed women and dumped their bodies.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join