It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do some Christians wear crosses around their necks?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I think they wear them to identify each other. For me it is a symbol that says, "Avoid a conversation with this lunatic because he talks (and listens) to the invisible man."

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Q:1984A:1776
reply to post by muse7

They do it as a symbol of their faith, without realizing that the Romans at that time didn't crucify people using that structure. In other words: IGNORANCE.

)))))HERE I COME TO... TO SAVE THE DAY^

1: First coming is the OP question; Butt asked with a question; What is a Christian???
2: Second coming question; Did anyone Digi-Here know that the PEACE symbol is
... really a 'inverted cross' created to triX sheeple(mostly so called Christians wear them
)
... by slipping in a little Satanism into Ur lives left over from the Reich

3: Third coming question; Doese anyone find it seXy when Christian fake b
b woman
... wear the )T( between their cleavage... with the chain at just the perfect length

4: Forth coming question(just before we pass the dirty charity basket around);
... Can Christians still wear a cross of death/criminal$ around their necks without eXcepting
... the doctrine of reembodiment that Jesus(aka?) taught
... & denied by the Fifth Ecumenical in 553AD & ever after by Christians too

... Just wondering... since Christians have To shove there're belief$ in everyone's faces

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by XyZeR

Originally posted by muse7
like in the form of necklaces

You would think that the last thing Jesus would want to see when he returns is a Cross

Bill Hicks Fan?

thinkexist.com...

Just what I was thinking

Warning there is 1 occurrence of the F word in the vid

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

For the same reason I wear a pentagram encircled by oak leaves
My Faith doesnt require me too, its just a reminder to practice what I preach.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dezero
reply to post by TXRabbit

Matthew 7:1 - "Judge not, that ye be not judged."

Congratulations! You can read a book! Such a great response.

Anyone else out there with self-formulated "opinions" or the ability to Think For Themself care to postulate on what I mentioned?

Why would someone so proudly wear a symbol which was created on the blood and sweat of another human being?

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by assspeaker

Actually there are probably more people on this site who are not Christians - so it would seem that you are the one following the pack

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr UAE

Indeed. it makes you wonder what your point is

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

That Q has been answered numerous times in this thread already.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I'm so tired of the anger and hate that spews from the mouths of those without faith. Where does it come from? Why are you so angry and arrogant? Is it your own insecurity and sadness that drives you to lash out at those who do have faith? Are you angry that you don't? It is ridiculous. I don't agree with 99% of organized religion, but the snide remarks concerning Christians is sick. Its like all of you without faith have actually organized yourself into your own anti-religion. Which makes you just as bad because you blindly follow and accept the belief in the absence of a Creator. The same crime that you accuse of those engaged in a religion. Grow-up. Respect your fellow man, be kind to others....the same things that most Christians atleast try to do. Pathetic.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
A better question is why do non Christians wear a cross around their neck?

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by lambs to lions
I'm so tired of the anger and hate that spews from the mouths of those without faith. Where does it come from? Why are you so angry and arrogant? Is it your own insecurity and sadness that drives you to lash out at those who do have faith? Are you angry that you don't? It is ridiculous. I don't agree with 99% of organized religion, but the snide remarks concerning Christians is sick. Its like all of you without faith have actually organized yourself into your own anti-religion. Which makes you just as bad because you blindly follow and accept the belief in the absence of a Creator. The same crime that you accuse of those engaged in a religion. Grow-up. Respect your fellow man, be kind to others....the same things that most Christians atleast try to do. Pathetic.

Matthew 7:1 - "Judge not, that ye be not judged."

fo shame..

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jennybee35
reply to post by Dr UAE

Thank you. I am very much a follower of Christ, but I do not understand 'religion' and symbols. The crucifix is a symbol of shame, a curse. Why would one wear that symbol for any reason? Did not Yahweh Himself say to make "NO graven images" for ourselves?

Seems to me if you are a follower of Christ that He is INSIDE of you thru the Holy Spirit. No outward symbols needed. It is NO ONE'S business what your beliefs are, if others want to know what you believe, they'll ask.

THIS

Have a star ...

No graven images. Exactly.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
The cross is but another pre-Christian symbol that has been assimilated into their faith to help fill pews.

The cross, as a pagan symbol, was adored in Egypt hundreds if not thousands of years before Jesus was born. The Roman Catholic Church adopted the cross symbol at least 600 years after Jesus was supposedly crucified. Even the early Christians of North Africa rejected the wooden cross after Tertullian condemned it.

The Romans adopted the Cross as a religious symbol before Christianity ever took off, as well as the Egyptians. There are carvings depicting Horus carrying a cross. The ancient "Mithra" (sun god) religions worshipped a cross as well as crucifixes. One such Crucifix was unearthed in Ireland, and pre-dates Christianity by quite a stretch.

The cross has always been a symbol in human history, primarily because it is so simple to draw, carve, or build out of materials. There are ancient cave drawings showing crosses. The best logos are always the simplest and easiest to remember, hence the popularity over the ages.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

Really now, exactly how do crosses help "fill the pews"??

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
If Jesus was a god, then how did he die on the cross?

Jesus is half God half man. Which is why he is sometimes known as Son of God and Son of Man.

He willingly allowed himself to die, he 'gave up the ghost' willingly, his God side could have lived on the cross forever, the cross could have been weathered into dust and he could have stood there alive. His death was needed for his Atonement, he was the last great and final sacrifice. The Jews all those years who killed animals in sacrifice were doing so (as directed by God) as a type and a shadow of the sacrifice to come, the last sacrifice which would end all sacrifices, the sacrifice of the Messiah.
edit on 1-12-2011 by Razimus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
i just read through this thread and noticed none of the christians have responded to the numerous posts about how 'thou shalt not make unto thee any graven images'.. so whats the deal? does the cross or crucifix not count? why not?

and shouldn't the cross look like T not †

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxblackoctoberxx
i just read through this thread and noticed none of the christians have responded to the numerous posts about how 'thou shalt not make unto thee any graven images'.. so whats the deal? does the cross or crucifix not count? why not?

To me that commandment refers to Idol Worship, building a statue for a museum is one thing, building a statue to put in a religious building for the purpose of bowing to the statue is not ok. God gave us commandments, he also gave us each a brain, I believe he wants us to use it.

I suppose bowing to a Symbol would be no different, good point. I personally do not bow to any physical image that is before me.
edit on 1-12-2011 by Razimus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxblackoctoberxx

Not sure that question is relevant. I've never seen nor hear of anyone fashioning a cross out of stone, metal, or wood, then procede to bow down and worship it as if it's a god. God didn't give the commandment so that we could never build things. God gave the commandment because He didn't want people making stone calves and worshipping them.

I have a cross, it's made of stone. I have never thought my stone cross was a god, prolly why I don't worship my stone cross.

It's stone.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

just curious what does the commandment actually say? im trying to find it on the internet and i've found quite a bit of different versions with different wordings.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

It's a symbol that already carried weight. Much like everything in Christianity, they needed to spread into preordained territory, so the best way to do this was by adopting already existing symbols, stories, customs, and beliefs, this making the transition from "paganism" into Christianity an easier one.
Christianity is a religion of convenience, trying its hardest to please as many people as it can, while condemning those it can't.

edit on 1-12-2011 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join