It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do some Christians wear crosses around their necks?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
gotta love the conceit on this one.....

Any thoughts towards what those "badges" are made of?

Gold? Silver? Diamonds?

Are you aware of the pain, torture and persecution involved just to get the raw materials together for you to demonstrate your faith?
edit on 1-12-2011 by TXRabbit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
If Jesus was a god, then how did he die on the cross? In my opinion the whole son of god thing is misunderstood. I think it originally meant that we are all created from part of god's energy to become conscious humans/spirits. So the bible meant we are all sons of god, but not in the literal sense, since we are all human just like Jesus was. Well that's my view.

The whole cross thing and dying for peoples sins confuses me really if try to be logical, but my best bet is the true story of the bible is now surely not what it once was, the changes made to it over the years has really warped the truth.
edit on 1-12-2011 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I do not know why some Christians wear the cross as jewelry. I suppose because it has some kind of value.
For me, not wearing jewelry started before I began my journey into Christianity.
I have never really been into wearing jewelry, I was a bit of a tomboy growing up and never really saw a need to wear it. I have worn jewelry. I have been given crosses to wear as a necklace and ring. It was a nice gesture. But it is just not my thing. I always felt uncomfortable wearing any kind of jewelry.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by assspeaker
It's like a sheep tag, so you know who they are.
I am glad they wear them, cause when I ask for opinions, I know who blindly follows the pack, and can't think outside the box.

Thank you cross wearers for identifying yourselves.
Please bring back the rosary and clutch them till your fingers turn white!

Ass-speaker has spoken....harsh words but true.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
like in the form of necklaces

You would think that the last thing Jesus would want to see when he returns is a Cross

I see trolling is becoming mainstream here at ATS... unfortunately.

So much for quality product.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Q:1984A:1776

Please provide supporting documentation for your comments. Surely you can find a sketch or drawing of what it is you believe they used to crucify Christ, with additional supporting evidence that your claims are substantiated. I'm thinking you would not make statements that millions of Christians are "ignorant", unless you knew beforehand you could substantiate this assertion.

I am waiting for your reply. Thanks.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

I'm just curious but... how is this OP not defined as trolling? Creating a thread for no other purpose than to insult and incite?

Correction: Meant this to be in re to the OP...

My bad.
edit on 1-12-2011 by redoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Just as the Bible says not to have graven images...
It also says not to call any man by the name "Father".
But Catholics use the name "Father" for their priests.
They also have buildings rich with graven images.

So I'm not sure why anyone would wear a graven image.
No matter what the meaning to that person.
If the Bible tells you not to do something, as a Christian, do you ignore it?
Or can you pick and choose what to believe?
That always bothered me.

Maybe the previous poster is right...

Maybe it's "cool".
Although I don't see going to hell as being "cool".

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
The cross is basically the symbol of Baal worship without the circle around it. Although the Catholic church does leave the circle around it in many cases. Especially on the bishop and cardinal robes.

There's also this:

Deuteronomy 5:8 Thou shalt not make thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the waters beneath the earth:

But I suppose for many it is open to interpretation considering it is an old covenant command, and christians are under the new covenant. Still, I don't recall Jesus telling anyone to make or wear a cross.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

You would think that the last thing Jesus would want to see when he returns is a Cross

Bill Hicks Fan?

thinkexist.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

I used to wear my crucifix to remind myself that when things got bad that the LAMB or Jesus Christ was 3 dimensionally killed and sent home when he came here and he was the SON of GOD, so how can I expect life to be really FAIR or understandable for me here. I know what you mean tho OP.

I have also read that some wear them to symbolize those they have possibly assisted in destroying/killing in the 3d realm. I guess its reason to wear differs based on those who wear them. It is a symbol and we are told not to wear them, I struggled with that aspect when I did wear mine. Younger days

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Considering it was the whole point of his life, I don'y see why he would care. If I could resurrect from death I probably wouldn't care about the thing that killed me.

It's a reminder. Nothing more.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by havok
Just as the Bible says not to have graven images...
It also says not to call any man by the name "Father".
But Catholics use the name "Father" for their priests.
They also have buildings rich with graven images.

So I'm not sure why anyone would wear a graven image.
No matter what the meaning to that person.
If the Bible tells you not to do something, as a Christian, do you ignore it?
Or can you pick and choose what to believe?
That always bothered me.

I often wonder why it seems like many Christians pray to Jesus and idol worship him even more so than God himself, when in reality one of the main messages from the bible was to worship only one god.

Here are some examples I found.
John 17:3 — And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.
Isaiah 46:9 — For I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me.

This one is pretty clear.
20. Mark 12:29-34 —And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. And the second is like, namely this, thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these. And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he: And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbor as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices. And when Jesus saw that he answered discreetly, he said unto him, Thou art not far from the kingdom of God. And no man after that durst ask him any question.

Isaiah 42:17 But those who trust in idols, who say to images, 'You are our gods,' will be turned back in utter shame. Isaiah

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

I often wonder why it seems like many Christians pray to Jesus and idol worship him even more so than God himself, when in reality one of the main messages from the bible was to worship only one god.

Did you miss the part where we learn in the NT that Jesus is the Lord?

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Well that's exactly why the whole thing confuses me, obvious signs of changes being made and too many contradictions. The truth seems to be hidden behind fake stories.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Well that's exactly why the whole thing confuses me, obvious signs of changes being made and too many contradictions. The truth seems to be hidden behind fake stories.

The only "obvious" signs of changes made were in the 3rd and 4th centuries AD when the Gnostics expurgated great portions of text that didn't align with their Gnostic doctrines. (Example the last 12 verses of Mark) There have been many subtle and overt attacks on the deity of Christ, His blood atonement, and the virgin birth. And that permeates to today, the three things all cults and antichristian belief systems hold as true is the rejection of the deity of Christ, attacks on His blood atonement, and attack on His virgin birth.

There have indeed been great changes to the Word, that's why if you're not too informed to what these changes are, why they were made, and what groups made them, you can look at the mess and want to throw your hands up in confusion.

edit on 1-12-2011 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I don't have a fish on my car, I don't have a cross around my neck and yet, I am still a Christian.

I don't think when you get to the pearly gates anyone is going to care if you wore a cross or had a fish on your car.

What's in your heart is what will matter most, not what's on the outside.

John Lennon wore a wooden ankh, if I wore anything it would be a wooden ankh as well, as it's a nice symbol for eternal life, it is a type and shadow, a prophetic symbol which symbolizes Jesus on the cross, others would argue, but I believe it's a more beautiful image, being a symbol for and not a gruesome image of a torture device used by the Romans. Yes I know modern day goth/wiccan jerks mis-use the ankh symbol, but they don't own it, it's still a good symbol which means, The Key of Life, Eternal Life, which is what Jesus is.
edit on 1-12-2011 by Razimus because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-12-2011 by Razimus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

Matthew 7:1 - "Judge not, that ye be not judged."

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

So funny i forgot to laugh.

It signifies who our Savior King is and is a reminder to us of what he went through so that we could be with him.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
If Jesus was a god, then how did he die on the cross? In my opinion the whole son of god thing is misunderstood. I think it originally meant that we are all created from part of god's energy to become conscious humans/spirits. So the bible meant we are all sons of god, but not in the literal sense, since we are all human just like Jesus was. Well that's my view.

The whole cross thing and dying for peoples sins confuses me really if try to be logical, but my best bet is the true story of the bible is now surely not what it once was, the changes made to it over the years has really warped the truth.
edit on 1-12-2011 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

Your post is off topic and has nothing at to do with why we wear crosses.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join