It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do some Christians wear crosses around their necks?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

Why would you bother taking the time to reply to me, then not comment on anything I previously stated?

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Your previous "Statement" was a question, and one that I answered.

Your Question:

Really now, exactly how do crosses help "fill the pews"??

My Response:

It's a symbol that already carried weight. Much like everything in Christianity, they needed to spread into preordained territory, so the best way to do this was by adopting already existing symbols, stories, customs, and beliefs, this making the transition from "paganism" into Christianity an easier one.
Christianity is a religion of convenience, trying its hardest to please as many people as it can, while condemning those it can't.

The cross, being an already established symbol to a vast number of people, especially in Northern Africa and Europa, helped the Christians spread throughout these areas. Very few people accepted Christ as their "savior" during that time, and most of them were willing to fight for their right to continue their old way of life.
The Church then began making concessions to the many pagan tribes across the land, adopting more and more of their rituals and customs, their symbols > < into their religion. Now, it wasn't crosses alone; there were soltice celebrations (Christmas), things like Ēostre (Easter), Mithraistic Flesh and Blood rights (communion), the list goes on and on.
Mind you, this had nothing to do with saving souls, because if it did they wouldn't have changed a thing about themselves. This was purely political and economical. The more seats filled on Sunday (Saturday), the less people you had to argue with on Monday about land rights, taxing, and disputes over what constitutes "freedom". The phrase "In the name of God." would never be the same again.

edit on 1-12-2011 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I wear an electric chair and sometimes a guillotine around my neck. It reminds me not to hate others.
edit on 1-12-2011 by jessejamesxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
like in the form of necklaces

You would think that the last thing Jesus would want to see when he returns is a Cross

Drives away vampires.

Duuuuuh.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit

Originally posted by Dezero
reply to post by TXRabbit

Matthew 7:1 - "Judge not, that ye be not judged."

Congratulations! You can read a book! Such a great response.

Anyone else out there with self-formulated "opinions" or the ability to Think For Themself care to postulate on what I mentioned?

Why would someone so proudly wear a symbol which was created on the blood and sweat of another human being?
... O-No!!!... U-Did!!!

... I digi like U... But be Warned

... I don't really know the real flesh mind U
... Just what I read & digi-avatar of U S

... So when I say digi-like it's just that... Nothing more... K'

Truly I tell U... No one really knows Jesus(aka?)
... Nor how would $heele know what his
... in flesh personalty 'Voice Tones' & emoticons are like from just words

Jesus(aka?) said/says, "The Pharisees and scholars have taken the
keys of knowledge and have hidden them. They have NOT entered
nor have they ALLOWED those who want to enter to do so."

Meaning... guess what

NO ONE IN THE CURRANT NOW FLESH HUMAN FORM... KNOWS DIDDLY 'BIBLE SQUATTERS'

P.S
Did Jesus... PEE & POOP???
God forbid he fartted in Church/Circe... Pew!!!

edit on 1-12-2011 by CosmicWaterGate because: Got wet wipes... What? Thank God for giving us the way to evolve from using wine leaves LOL

edit on 1-12-2011 by CosmicWaterGate because: Forgot to flush.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicWaterGate

WTF are you saying?

I can never follow your posts.

I realize you seem to think you're clever, but I'd have to disagree.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
the real question is why do heathen wear crosses around their necks

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
reply to post by CosmicWaterGate

WTF are you saying?

I can never follow your posts.

I realize you seem to think you're clever, but I'd have to disagree.

... This is why 'all men/woman are not created equel'... Nor was it in the bible

... So I don't understand U also... And disagree with U disagreeing too

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by infojunkie2

Goes to show the evolution of the bible. In the original greek version there is no mention of a cross. The word stauros means "an upright pole/stake", and the verb stauroo means "to fasten to an upright pole or stake", which paints an entirely different picture of the "crucifiction" story when you translate the words correctly, doesn't it?

The "cross" had no significance in Christianity, but over the years, the adoption of its use has become a part of their identity, like so many other borrowed customs/symbols/traditions/rituals.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by infojunkie2
the real question is why do heathen wear crosses around their necks

Drives away vampires.

Duuuuuh.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Because they never learned the significance of moses coming down with the commandments and destroying the idol created by the jews. It is idolatry first most, secondly it is a hijacked symbol derived from the Egyptian ankh which just so happens to be one of the primary sources of plagiarism the jews derived their monotheist beliefs from.

It is finally simply a brand, individuals seek conformity and comfort by belonging to the herd and identifying themselves with their specific brand, it is in no way representative of the individuals depth of belief or adherence but merely a way to put their affiliation on public display.

Personally I welcome the display, it is for myself a clear indicator of religious mentality and maturity as those who I encounter that wear a cross could not be any further from their god or the human tenants of their religious teachings. I thank them for the simple courtesy of openly displaying they are douchebags.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

Killed? Electric chair? Come on, can you say there will be at least a small battle? Any enemy causaulties? People say things, that are really stupid. Think about this for one moment. Who created time? Who can see the future? If and when he does come back, anyone who would be a real problem, would be "un-excisted". They would not excist. Put that in your pipe.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

I don't live by the Bible. I live by a personal relationship with my God.
edit on 1-12-2011 by lambs to lions because: spelling

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Good point, Bill Hicks!

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
reply to post by Q:1984A:1776

Please provide supporting documentation for your comments. Surely you can find a sketch or drawing of what it is you believe they used to crucify Christ, with additional supporting evidence that your claims are substantiated. I'm thinking you would not make statements that millions of Christians are "ignorant", unless you knew beforehand you could substantiate this assertion.

I am waiting for your reply. Thanks.

Google is your friend, Religion is not. If you actually cared to deny ignorance, you could have done a quick search for something like "Jesus not crucified on cross" to gain all of the perspective in the world on the matter.

Millions of Christians were ignorant up until recently of the fact that the Earth is not flat, and does not reside at the center of the universe. While these assertions are based on biblical writings, the shape of the "cross" was never alluded to in the bible, it was merely a construction of the Catholic church. The symbol is originally Pagan, much like all of the other Catholic symbols. Need I remind you also that the bible strictly forbids making any engraven image? How is that so hard to fathom? Talk about ignorance!
Ignorance in and of itself is not a negative thing. It can be seen as room for improvement. Willful ignorance, however, is the most disgusting thing in the world, and the most common trait amongst Christians. Will you accept that you were lacking in knowledge on a subject, and seek to learn more, or will your eyes gloss over, and refuse to pack any real knowledge into your tiny little world view?
edit on 1-12-2011 by Q:1984A:1776 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by muse7

As a symbol of christianity.
Why do some jewish folk wear the Star of David?

Silly question.

Lol! I wear both The Magem David and The Cross of Christ. The customs guys at TLV when I arrived at the airport laughed and said how can you be both? Easy!!!

The modern Israelis are getting more and more used to the idea of Christ these days. Being a Christian visitor to Israel I was very accepted! Good News Good News!!! Peace!

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by FugitiveSoul
reply to post by infojunkie2

Goes to show the evolution of the bible. In the original greek version there is no mention of a cross. The word stauros means "an upright pole/stake", and the verb stauroo means "to fasten to an upright pole or stake", which paints an entirely different picture of the "crucifiction" story when you translate the words correctly, doesn't it?

The "cross" had no significance in Christianity, but over the years, the adoption of its use has become a part of their identity, like so many other borrowed customs/symbols/traditions/rituals.

Wrong!!! Read the bit in the New Covenant that says about Carrying The Cross!!!

It was a cross; an upright stake with a cross bar for hanging the hands.up; probably more a T shape, though!!!

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Like this, people! This is how the Babylon (Rome) did it!

Horrible! A very slow and nasty way of dying! Bless You, Jesus Christ, King of Kings and Lord of Lords for your sacrifice so that us miserable wretches will one day inherit Your Father's Kingdom!

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Q:1984A:1776
reply to post by muse7

They do it as a symbol of their faith, without realizing that the Romans at that time didn't crucify people using that structure. In other words: IGNORANCE.

Yes they did too. Biblical archeaology has proof, with the exception that Jesus was one of the only ones to actually be nailed to the tree, everyone else was tied to it.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by followtheevidence

Originally posted by jennybee35
reply to post by Dr UAE

Thank you. I am very much a follower of Christ, but I do not understand 'religion' and symbols. The crucifix is a symbol of shame, a curse. Why would one wear that symbol for any reason? Did not Yahweh Himself say to make "NO graven images" for ourselves?

Seems to me if you are a follower of Christ that He is INSIDE of you thru the Holy Spirit. No outward symbols needed. It is NO ONE'S business what your beliefs are, if others want to know what you believe, they'll ask.

THIS

Have a star ...

No graven images. Exactly.

A graven image, is an idol made in the shape of anything in the heavens above or earth below carved with the express intent to be worshipped. Crosses are not idols and we do not worship them, ergo they are not graven images.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join