It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do some Christians wear crosses around their necks?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
If Jesus was a god, then how did he die on the cross? In my opinion the whole son of god thing is misunderstood. I think it originally meant that we are all created from part of god's energy to become conscious humans/spirits. So the bible meant we are all sons of god, but not in the literal sense, since we are all human just like Jesus was. Well that's my view.

The whole cross thing and dying for peoples sins confuses me really if try to be logical, but my best bet is the true story of the bible is now surely not what it once was, the changes made to it over the years has really warped the truth.
edit on 1-12-2011 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

Become a believer, then you won't have to ask that question. The answer to that comes when Christ reveals himself to you.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
like in the form of necklaces

You would think that the last thing Jesus would want to see when he returns is a Cross

If your going to use somebody elses joke at least give them credit. RIP Bill

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
To most Christians it is a Childish,Primitive or Pagan Idol to Spirituality
in which a Ritual Sacrifice is made by some Other animal or human
instead of Ones Own Ego Self. A rare few will understand
it as a symbol of the sacrifice each must make to be one with God.

Spem in alium numquam habui praeter in te
Deus Israel
qui irasceris
et propitius eris
et omnia peccata hominum in tribulatione dimittis
Domine Deus
Creator coeli et terrae
respice humilitatem nostram

I have never put my hope in any other but in you,
O God of Israel
who can show both anger
and graciousness,
and who absolves all the sins of suffering man
Lord God,
Creator of Heaven and Earth
be mindful of our lowliness

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I think some Christians and most non Christians like the singers, movie stars and athletes wear that necklace to be part of a certain 'crowd' that says "Yes I believe in this type of worship". Yet most of them dont even know that the origin of the cross goes back to Tammuz, and has nothing to do with the true Messiah dying on it. The Messiah Yahuwshuwah died on a stake, the Greek word is Stauros which means upright pole or beam, not a cross.

www.blueletterbible.org...

Ezekial 8:13 And He said to me, “You are to see still greater abominations which they are doing.”
Ezekial 8:14 And He brought me to the door of the north gate of the House of יהוה, and I saw women sitting there, weeping for Tammuz.

There is power in wearing that necklace, and it isnt from above, but comes from the forces of darkness. Wearing that cross and praying and worshipping with it in your congregations, you are calling on the power of Tammuz. Also its an idol, and no idol worshipper will be allowed into the kingdom to come.

edit on 1-12-2011 by Seektruthalways1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution9

Originally posted by FugitiveSoul
reply to post by infojunkie2

Goes to show the evolution of the bible. In the original greek version there is no mention of a cross. The word stauros means "an upright pole/stake", and the verb stauroo means "to fasten to an upright pole or stake", which paints an entirely different picture of the "crucifiction" story when you translate the words correctly, doesn't it?

The "cross" had no significance in Christianity, but over the years, the adoption of its use has become a part of their identity, like so many other borrowed customs/symbols/traditions/rituals.

Wrong!!! Read the bit in the New Covenant that says about Carrying The Cross!!!

It was a cross; an upright stake with a cross bar for hanging the hands.up; probably more a T shape, though!!!

You ignorant people who claim you know the scriptures, revolution is correct, it is a stake and no such thing as a cross was ever mentioned that the Messiah died on. Get your facts straight do your research!

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

You have very good points, and yes Christians dont really know what they are teaching, they are blind leading the blind. They turn their back on the truth, and furthermore claim they know what they are talking about. Yes cross is from old Babylonian sun worship of Tammuz and the Christians adopted this from the Catholic church who blended in Pagan worship with the teachings of Scripture to make Christianity.

Christianity is nothing more than a hybrid of religions. It doesnt teach what Scripture says, and is closer to being the world religion than any other.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
like in the form of necklaces

You would think that the last thing Jesus would want to see when he returns is a Cross

I'm a Christian & the cross to me is Idol worship, My Lord and saviour is off the cross, Folk have turned him in to a fashion accesorry ... it is also in the commandments .... Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above ... to each their own i guess

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
There will always be Christians who are not comfortable with the "graven image" aspect of the cross/crucifix. Generally, it's because they have not matured in the Faith and lack discernment. But still, we should not scandalize their faith by mocking them but gently point them to the theological arguments that refuted the Iconoclasts many years ago.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkcaw
There will always be Christians who are not comfortable with the "graven image" aspect of the cross/crucifix. Generally, it's because they have not matured in the Faith and lack discernment.

lol that is bull#, matured in their faith hahahah CRAP
The commandments are just that, why deny the commandments
I used to wear a cross then I matured in my faith, loving all people and creatures ... well seeking to

The cross is a man made object representing blood lust, oh I made a mistake, lets nail the other guy to the cross, I own my mistakes and seek to rectify them where I can.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Burgo1010

BS, huh? That's fine because you just proved my point. The cross is an idol but the Cherubim on the Ark of the Covenant...is that an idol too? The cross is an idol but the Tabernacle that God instructed to be built with religious images...is that idolatrous as well? Seems you and the Bible differ in your discernment concerning the 2nd commandment.

My point was that people young in the Faith tend to yoke themselves needlessly to items of the Law, which is fine--it's all apart of the process--but it's hoped that they eventually come to see the Law for what it is.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   

BS, huh? That's fine because you just proved my point. The cross is an idol but the Cherubim on the Ark of the Covenant...is that an idol too? The cross is an idol but the Tabernacle that God instructed to be built with religious images...is that idolatrous as well? Seems you and the Bible differ in your discernment concerning the 2nd commandment.

My point was that people young in the Faith tend to yoke themselves needlessly to items of the Law, which is fine--it's all apart of the process--but it's hoped that they eventually come to see the Law for what it is.

the law is basically just to be yourself, honest, respectful, love and trust in God and be kind to all life, but I learned that by living ...

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   

also sorry Brother, I saw my friend here where I live & she explained it to me, my angst with the Crucifix is non Christians wearing it as a fashion accesory .. So I do appologise
I'm 9 years clean from heroin and speed thanks to Lord Jesus Christ so that may help to explain the #head in me
so from your reply I get this message .... love them as I have loved you ... Again sorry

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   

No apologies necessary, but thank you. I'm encouraged by your story, nine years clean, you should post it sometime.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by monkcaw

where and what section? thank you for your forgivness brother

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Yes, I have a cross which I keep on my mantle. I worship it. I pray to it for it's forgiveness. I ask it for world peace. I don't bother to read the Bible or go to church. I just worship my cross. Yep, me and my cross. Who needs God? My little gold cross holds all the answers.

You people are so full of yourselves. Must be nice to be at an age where you still know everything. Enjoy it while it lasts, because reality is waiting to crash your perceived brilliance. Do try to make yourselves look as foolish as little as possible. You will have to remember some of the things you said, you know.

NEWSFLASH: We celebrate Christ's birthday on December 25th, but that is not really the day he was born.

There ya go --------- have a field day. Make a new thread. But keep a look back over your shoulder! My cross might be after you!

edit on 12/2/2011 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Q:1984A:1776

Actually, I think displaced condescension may be one of the most disgusting things in the world.

As I said in an earlier post, enjoy yourself while you are still young enough to know everything.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution9
reply to post by muse7

Like this, people! This is how the Babylon (Rome) did it!

Horrible! A very slow and nasty way of dying! Bless You, Jesus Christ, King of Kings and Lord of Lords for your sacrifice so that us miserable wretches will one day inherit Your Father's Kingdom!

Actually it was more like this...

The affect and strain on the body is similar, and it requires less wood, which was a pricey commodity in those days, and wouldn't have been wasted on prisoners. The prisoners still would've had to drag this pole up Calvary hill, where they would've been nailed to it, and then the pole erected and dropped into a post hole. After death, the pole would've been recycled.

The word which was confused with "cross" was stauros, which means "stake/pole" and stauroo (verb) "to fasten to a stake/pole." Though I don't think the confusion is/was legitimate. They knew the word meant pole, but they wanted/needed to adopt the symbol as it would help them to spread through Europa, Northern Africa, and Asian Minor where was already a well known symbol, synonymous with pre-christian religions and faiths.

To the question "Was Christ God? And if so, how did he die on the cross?"
The answer is "No." He is not God. He actually speaks with God while on the cross, asking "why have you forsaken me?" Kind of an odd thing to say, especially if you're talking to yourself. He was a man. A very smart man who tried his best to fix the problems that plagued the hebrew people at that time. The problem comes that people began following him instead of actually listening to his teachings, they began idolizing him instead of their true God. Almost everything miraculous about Jesus comes from Mithraism, from the virgin birth on the 25th of December, to the Bringer of Salvation story, to the death and resurrection, all coming from Mithras (BCE 1400), an already popular religion in Asia Minor, Northern Africa, Rome, and other parts of Europa.
Christ was Jewish, and wished to remain Jewish. He adopted some new ideas of morality and worship from other teachers along his journey, but he never proclaimed that he wanted to condemn Judaism, change the Sabbath (Sunday worship also comes from Mithraism Sun-day, Mithras being the God of illumination), or start up a new faith. All of these changes came about to help spread Christianity, which has nothing to do with God and everything to do with politics and economics during that time.
edit on 2-12-2011 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by xxblackoctoberxx

I'm a Christian but I don't wear a cross - that's why I didn't respond. I want to wear one if only to say that I am proud to be a Christian, but the commandment over rides my desire. Plus, i'm no saint and would probably bring shame on it.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

Why is the "cross" the symbol used on first century Christian ossuaries?

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

There will always be Christians who are not comfortable with the "graven image" aspect of the cross/crucifix. Generally, it's because they have not matured in the Faith and lack discernment. But still, we should not scandalize their faith by mocking them but gently point them to the theological arguments that refuted the Iconoclasts many years ago.

How very judgmental, and unbiblical

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join