It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Christians don't call their creator Allah ?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Well I have always took somewhat of a different view as a Christian, "Allah" is Arabic" for God therefore I do give praise to Allah through His son Lord Jesus Christ ... My Maori friend said to me the same, there is one God & many angels which humans praise as Gods therefore this is where all the confusion came in at the hands of new agers ... bit rambly I know .... just woke up

Christians in the middle east call God "Allah" I am not offended by this word at all however some may think the Bible was originally scribed in English ....

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Cosma

If Jesus taught to love your enemies, then do you love the Devil?

I think it's a relevant question.

CHRIST, in context, was CLEARLY referring to (mortal) PEOPLE in our daily lives.

ABSURDITIES are merely absurdities . . . like your question.

Let's assume that you had a very BIBLICAL and accurate view of satan as totally dedicated to death, suffering, destruction of YOU as soon as he could manage it in as horrible a set of ways as he could manage it. How would YOU feel toward him then?

I think it's a fitting question given yours.

edit on 29/11/2011 by BO XIAN because: rearranging gifs

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Cosma
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Indeed he does. That message has never changed. His utmost commandments: 1. Love your enemies as you love your neighbors

This is why I'm asking you.
If Jesus taught to love your enemies, then do you love the Devil?

I think it's a relevant question.

Remember "love" is an english word with about 50,0000 different meanings

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
once again he has also shown that he just belives in his religion/faith. as much as other religious ppl doo

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
I'll put it to you this way, there are so many passages and chapters dedicated to the nature of God and how he is linked to actually being Jesus the Christ.

One example of a Bible verse that is often misused is John 1:1. In the King James Version, that verse reads: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God [Greek, ton the‧on′], and the Word was God [the‧os′].” This verse contains two forms of the Greek noun the‧os′ (god). The first is preceded by ton (the), a form of the Greek definite article, and in this case the word the‧on′ refers to Almighty God. In the second instance, however, the‧os′ has no definite article. Was the article mistakenly left out?

The Gospel of John was written in Koine, or common Greek, which has specific rules regarding the use of the definite article. Bible scholar A. T. Robertson recognizes that if both subject and predicate have articles, “both are definite, treated as identical, one and the same, and interchangeable.” Robertson considers as an example Matthew 13:38, which reads: “The field [Greek, ho a‧gros′] is the world [Greek, ho ko′smos].” The grammar enables us to understand that the world is also the field.

What, though, if the subject has a definite article but the predicate does not, as in John 1:1? Citing that verse as an example, scholar James Allen Hewett emphasizes: “In such a construction the subject and predicate are not the same, equal, identical, or anything of the sort.”

To illustrate, Hewett uses 1 John 1:5, which says: “God is light.” In Greek, “God” is ho the‧os′ and therefore has a definite article. But phos for “light” is not preceded by any article. Hewett points out: “One can always . . . say of God He is characterized by light; one cannot always say of light that it is God.” Similar examples are found at John 4:24, “God is a Spirit,” and at 1 John 4:16, “God is love.” In both of these verses, the subjects have definite articles but the predicates, “Spirit” and “love,” do not. So the subjects and predicates are not interchangeable. These verses cannot mean that “Spirit is God” or “love is God.”

Many Greek scholars and Bible translators acknowledge that John 1:1 highlights, not the identity, but a quality of “the Word.” Says Bible translator William Barclay: “Because [the apostle John] has no definite article in front of theos it becomes a description . . .

John is not here identifying the Word with God. To put it very simply, he does not say that Jesus was God.” Scholar Jason David BeDuhn likewise says: “In Greek, if you leave off the article from theos in a sentence like the one in John 1:1c, then your readers will assume you mean ‘a god.’ . . . Its absence makes theos quite different than the definite ho theos, as different as ‘a god’ is from ‘God’ in English.” BeDuhn adds: “In John 1:1, the Word is not the one-and-only God, but is a god, or divine being.”

Or to put it in the words of Joseph Henry Thayer, a scholar who worked on the American Standard Version: “The Logos [or, Word] was divine, not the divine Being himself.”

Does the identity of God have to be “a very profound mystery”? It did not seem so to Jesus. In his prayer to his Father, Jesus made a clear distinction between him and his Father when he said: “This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ.” (John 17:3) If we believe Jesus and understand the plain teaching of the Bible, we will respect him as the divine Son of God that he is. We will also worship Jehovah as “the only true God.”

The idea that God came to earth and lived as the man Jesus, which is central to the doctrine of the Trinity, has been around for a long time—but it does not date back to Jesus. Rather, The Encyclopædia Britannica observes: “Neither the word Trinity nor the explicit doctrine appears in the New Testament . . . The doctrine developed gradually over several centuries and through many controversies.”

Religion actually degrades Jesus when it teaches that he was God in the flesh. How so? Consider an illustration. Some workers make a request of their supervisor, but he says that he does not have the authority to grant it. If his statement is true, the supervisor has wisely displayed an awareness of his limitations. If it is not true—if he can grant the request but simply chooses not to—he has been deceptive.

Now, how did Jesus respond when two of his apostles desired positions of prominence? He told them: “This sitting down at my right hand and at my left is not mine to give, but it belongs to those for whom it has been prepared by my Father.” (Matthew 20:23)

If Jesus were really God, would that not have been a lie? Instead, by deferring to the One with greater authority, Jesus set a beautiful example in modesty—and he showed that he was not equal to God.

Jesus plainly stated: “I am God’s Son.” (John 10:36)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by samsamm9
If Jesus(PBUH) called his god "Allah", then why would "Christians" use other words when talking to or about
their Creator?

I know religion can be an explosive subject here on ATS, but please keep it civilized...

What do you think ?

Even Jesus said Allah. According to an Aramaic dictionary, ( www.pe.../lexicon/ ) the word for God in Aramaic (The language which Jesus spoke) is "Aalah", which is the exact same thing as the Arabic "Allah" since in English there are many ways to spell a foreign word (Example you can spell the Muhammad's name in 27 ways, including Muhammad and Mohamed). Just visit the link and type "God" if you don't believe me, then scroll down to "Pronunciation"

So Christians, if your god Jesus said "Allah", it means the Muslims are using the correct word for the creator!

The word Allah is better than the word God and is purer since God can be pluralised (gods) and genderised (goddess), the word Allah is more suitable for being HIS name because it CANNOT be genderised nor pluralised (in Arabic) since it is genderless and single, an example in English would be the planet Mars, it is genderless (you cannot say Marsa or whatever it would be if it could be genderised) and it is unpluralisable (you cannot say Marses), it simply wouldn't make sense to genderise or pluralise this planet, the same goes for Allah (الله) in Arabic, so in essence IT IS SUPERIOR to the word God.

Lets not forget that Arab Christians, and Jews (as is the case in this video) say Allah, and have been saying it before there were even any western Christians!

Jesus said Allah too, so if you consider yourself a serious Christian you should start saying it to follow your god Jesus. So please, open your brains a little, it's good for you.

Now to see what different prophets called God.

Abraham PBUH called him El shaddai

Moses PBUH called him Elohim (see Genesis)

Jesus PBUH called him Allah

Muhammad PBUH called him Allah

Two prophets called him Allah, and they are the most known of prophets, Muhammad and Jesus peace be upon them. Nonetheless all of these are Semitic words, so as far as I am concerned, any Semitic word for God is acceptable, but why use a European word for Allah when not a single prophet used a European word?

Also, did you notice something? All of these words for Allah begin with either EL or AL, this is because in proto-Semitic (an ancient language which all Semitic languages, such as Arabic and Hebrew, evolved from) the word for God was AL or EL, Abraham PBUH spoke proto-Semitic and he called God "El shaddai", "El" here meaning God and "shaddai" meaning mountain, so basically he called God "God of the mountain".

The Semetic languages evolved in a way that they retain the word AL/EL at the beginning of the word, but there is an additional "lah" in Arabic and an additional "lohim" in Hebrew, I hope this clarifies

Jesus spoke biblical Hebrew as a first language and probably Greek as a second (they were under Roman occupation, who had recently taken over from the Greeks). When speaking of God, he would have used the word "Adonai" which means "master/s or Lord/s (plural)" as no Jew says the name of God. The third Law of Moses was "You shall not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain". Jews took this so literally that they considered saying God's name out loud to be Blasphemous. To this day, orthodox Jews will only write G-d.

The few times that Jesus is recorded as speaking Aramaic, there is mention that people were confused and didn't understand what He was saying. In such cases as were recorded, He always called God; "Father".

A read of the Torah and the Christian gospels and comparison with the Koran indicates that Mohammed really had no idea of what was included in the previous texts.

He claimed that they had become corrupted, without any explanation of when or how, when it is plain by archaeological and documentary evidence that they have not been (at least not in the extent that Mohammed had suggested).

Only someone ignorant in the actual texts would suggest that Jesus spoke of God as Allah.

As for other names of God used in Judaism, please review this link

"Allah" is conspicuous by its absence.

Allah is the moon God, also called Sin, part of the pantheon of Arabic gods that existed in Mohammeds' youth in Mecca.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
As an athiest I can maybe provide some clout on this subject. Names are simply arbritrary labels for nouns, adjectives and verbs. They are simply a sounds prescribed to a definition or object to represent said object in written and spoken form. As such Allah simply translates to God in English and God translates to Allah in Arabic. Germans for example do not call god, god. In short, words are just sounds used to represent an object.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeachM1litant

Yes, Allah simply means "God" in Arabic. But we have christians with an agenda trying to define what muslims are supposed to be worshipping.

The problem is that christians are not very comfortable seeing similarities between their religion and Islam.
They seem to feel the need to remain exclusive, unlike any other religon. They will not accept the fact that another people serve God in their own way. Which is why the effort on their part to make it look like muslims worship a moon diety and such.

The fact that Allah, God in Islam was the one who created mankind, saved Noah, inspired the OT prophets, chose Abrahams creed, sent Jesus etc etc... shows that its the same God of the bible. But this fact simply sails over their heads and they would rather cling on to the moon god conspiracy.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I wish the phonetic equivalent of the word 'Allah' somehow translated into boogers or herpes in english language. That would have been hilarious!

Allah

PBUH
I shall repent
So that he may forgive
Sins and trespasses

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
"And from among His Signs are the night and the day, and the sun and the moon. Do not bow down (prostrate) to the sun nor to the moon, but only bow down (prostrate) to "Allah" Who created them, if you (really) worship Him." [Noble Quran 41:37]

Why does Islam follow a lunar calendar?

In both the Bible and the Quran religious festivals are regulated by the lunar calendar. Jews and Muslims have kept to these regulations which they believe to be from God. Why does Christianity follow a solar calendar?

What is the significance of the crescent moon in Islam?

"They ask you about the new moons. Say: These are signs to mark fixed periods of time for mankind and for the pilgrimage." [Noble Quran 2:189]

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom_is_Slavery

Why does Christianity follow a solar calendar?

Perhaps its because the guy who held the council of Nicea(which formally established christianity) was in a pagan cult dedicated to the Roman sun god
Just guessing.

Constantine decreed dies Solis—day of the sun, "Sunday"—as the Roman day of rest

en.wikipedia.org...

In both the Bible and the Quran religious festivals are regulated by the lunar calendar. Jews and Muslims have kept to these regulations which they believe to be from God. Why does Christianity follow a solar calendar?

I did not know that. I looked it up and came across this....

The Jewish calendar is primarily lunar, with each month beginning on the new moon, when the first sliver of moon becomes visible after the dark of the moon. In ancient times, the new months used to be determined by observation. When people observed the new moon, they would notify the Sanhedrin.

www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org...

edit on 29-11-2011 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-11-2011 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I think the word "Allah" is just Arabic for "The (one) God".

In Arabic, 'Al' is a prefix just like 'the' is in English. So 'Al-Gebra' is 'The math', or 'Al-Uminium' is 'The metal'.

So of course if you translate the New Testament into Arabic, when Jesus spoke with God he would be calling him 'Al Lah'. There is no other word or concept in Arabic for this. In Hebrew he would call him 'Yahweh', in German 'Gott', in Latin 'Dei', in French 'Deus', in English 'God'.

Jesus was a jew who spoke Aramaic, which is probably related to Arabic. Jesus might have also spoken hebrew, even though that was an 'official' language of the temple, and aramaic was a vernacular language. Both Arabic and Hebrew are 'Semitic' languages, just as English and German are both Germanic languages. There is an irony that people who hate Jews are called 'Anti-Semitic', even though both jews and Arabs are semitic speaking people.

The hebrew word for peace, 'Shalom', is similar to the Arabic word for peace is "Salam" or 'Al Salam', just as the German word for God, Mother, Father is similar to the English word.

Also, Jews, Christians, and Muslims all worship the same God. That God has different names, just as our own names have different pronunciations around the world.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by samsamm9

THE BEDOUIN ARABS SAID:-``WE HAVE BELIEVED.'' SAY:- ``YOU DO NOT BELIEVE; RATHER SAY'':- ``WE HAVE SUBMITTED''. THIS IS BECAUSE FAITH HAS NOT ENTERED YOUR HEARTS YET. AND IF YOU OBEY ALLAH AND HIS MESSENGER, HE WILL DIMINISH NOTHING OF (THE REWARDS OF) OF YOUR ACTS, THAT ALLAH IS FORGIVING COMPASSIONATE.
49-14

The most clear thing I have found is that Muslims don't think that Allah is taking side with religion , it is the Taqwa that matters , religion and race doesn't matter for God.

IMO Taqwa : is how you love god and fear to disobey his orders.

some people think that they are God , but they don't know that they are just created to worship god.

All the Jones know that there will be no living Jones in the next 100 years. We all will die and will be responsible what we have done.

That is what will create Taqwa.

O, PEOPLE! WE HAVE CREATED YOU FROM A MALE AND A FEMALE, AND MADE YOU NATIONS AND TRIBES, IN ORDER TO KNOW EACH OTHER. VERILY THE MOST HONOURABLE AMONG YOU IN THE SIGHT OF ALLAH ARE THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE MOST PIOUS ( willing Taqwa ), AND ALLAH IS ALL-KNOWING ALL-AWARE.

49-13
edit on 29/11/11 by hmdphantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Whether you call Him "God", "Allah" "Yahweh" or whatever He's still God and I dont think He's necessarily so concerned with the name used -"I AM that I AM"

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Can any sane human honestly think God (the Being/Entity, whatever it is) cares what you call him/it/etc.? My name is Jake. It is not derived from Jacob. Yet I don't care when old people assume that and call me Jacob. I imagine God's the same way...even moreso in fact. God has no name, unless he gave it to himself. The names people have given their God(s) are simply to make it easier to refer to him/them/it/etc.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

Hmmm i actually don't know exactly why it is solar, but i am guessing it has something to do with the transition to the Romulus calender from the older assumed lunar timekeeping method (most likely Greek Hellenic calendar or similar) and considering Jesus was born after this had been accepted as the method of timekeeping,

And since the Romans where second only to Armenia in adopting Christianity and the new testament was comprised in Rome (don't quote me) i can get a picture as to why this may be the case

History_of_sundials
History_of_timekeeping_devices
Roman_calendar
Hellenic_calendar
Armenians
Arsacid_Dynasty
First Christian nation
New_Testament

Just a stab

interesting link, Love roman mythology funny the connection with the radiating crown Jesus is so often portrayed wearing and Caesars crown

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Neither of you guys have any idea what you're talking about. You know what I do when I don't know anything about a topic? I don't talk.

Moon God? Are you kidding? Theres so much passive hostility in your post, one can only assume you're having a go for the sake of having a go.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   

We don't call God Allah for the simple fact that you don't call your horse "hsan", your meat "leham", and your friends "khowranay". Because people speak English not Arabic or Aramaic. Our language descended from a different part of the world. We were more influenced by Latin than anything else.

Allah is simply God in another language.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Its because Allah means god in their language.You might as well ask why Muslims don't call Allah god like we do.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
There is no God but God, and Muhammad is the messenger of God.

Muslims made it quite clear that there is only one God who shelters all beings. What's this talk of Muslims worshiping moon gods and such?

The fact is Arabian Christians call God by the name Allah.

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join